Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

1 members and 3,227 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
    Argentra
    Re: Tank Screen Top Foil Treatment Tutorial
    Exactly what I was about to ask...thanks Del. :D

Yes, using the foil tape can be faster, but you would have to place it sticky side UP so the reflective part is facing down into the cage to reflect the heat (Also, as said, to make sure the snake can't come in contact with the VERY sticky underside of the tape). Since the sticky has to face up, you need to cover it with foil or duct tape anyway...so why not just use foil and duct? :D

Oh, and yes, snakes CAN get their tongues into those tiny holes in screen tops. I've seen mine do it.
  • 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
    ericzerka24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Just to double check - you did make sure that the top isn't sticky from underneath ( where the snake is ) didn't you? :worry:

That foil tape is verrrrry sticky stuff. :(

dr del

The screen is fairly thick and holes are tight together. Thanks for the good look though:gj:
  • 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
    ericzerka24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Exactly what I was about to ask...thanks Del. :D

Yes, using the foil tape can be faster, but you would have to place it sticky side UP so the reflective part is facing down into the cage to reflect the heat (Also, as said, to make sure the snake can't come in contact with the VERY sticky underside of the tape). Since the sticky has to face up, you need to cover it with foil or duct tape anyway...so why not just use foil and duct? :D

Oh, and yes, snakes CAN get their tongues into those tiny holes in screen tops. I've seen mine do it.

If you look at the pics again, you will see that the duct tape is on the screen around each of the vents. So either way you go, there is going to be tape stuck to the top. Appreciate the heads up though:)
  • 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
    fenix3069
    do you think this would be ok with a 100w zoo med powersun mercury vapor heat lamp in 20 gal tank? dont wanna cook him in a tin foil oven...
  • 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

All heat sources are supposed to be regulated by a thermostat that would stop it getting to dangerous temps.

I might be concerned that the screen might get too hot if that was running though so would double check that before putting the animal in the enclosure.

dr del
  • 11-14-2010, 08:05 PM
    fenix3069
    do you mean the heat lamp has a built in thermostat? or i need to set one up?
  • 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

You need to set one up - unregulated heat sources are a really bad idea all round.

If that bulb gives off visible light however you would be best opting for a proportional thermostat as the on/off type not only shorten the life of the bulb considerably the light going on and off will drive you nuts.

dr del
  • 11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
    fenix3069
    i might have to get an off of one even though it puts out visible light. the zoo med website says the bulb needs specific line voltage so a rheostat isnt recomended...
  • 11-15-2010, 01:17 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

To be honest at that point I'd replace the bulb.

Have you insulated the tank to see if you could get away with only using a small red bulb on a rheostat or even just the UTH on its own?

dr del
  • 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
    hig
    How far would this treatment go towards raising the ambient temps in the enclosure (tub or tank)? Any rough ideas?