Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

2 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 10-12-2019, 12:15 PM
    Kodayin
    Dumb question... But curiosity killed the cat...
    Hey,
    This is probably the most dumb question you've ever heard, but after discussing it theoritically with someone I was curious
    Would a ball python (actually any breed of snake really) eat a piece of turkey if presented to them? 🤔
  • 10-12-2019, 12:35 PM
    Bogertophis
    Not really a dumb question...and I assume you're talking about raw turkey? (cooked would be less likely taken, I would assume)
    A ball python? :rofl: No way. Try it :rolleyes:

Some other kinds of snakes probably would: king snakes are often scavengers & more "open-minded" shall we say? (ie. less picky for specific scent)

But keep in mind that snakes have evolved eating WHOLE animals...they NEED the balance of nutrition from all parts of their prey, not just the 'meat', so this is not
    a good practice for feeding snakes, even IF they'll take it.
  • 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Raw yes some snakes will, BP as picky as they are 99.9% not likely.
  • 10-12-2019, 01:32 PM
    Crowfingers
    maybe not a piece of turkey like a leg or breast meat (unless you happen to have an extremely food motivated garbage can of a snake) mostly because I assume they could smell the difference between "whole prey" and "meat" and may be hesitant to strike, but I could see many of the larger python species eating a whole young turkey, feathers and all.

I know one person that has a female ball python with a taste for chicken and quail and will eat f/t chicks/small quail as well as rats.
  • 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM
    Luvyna
    Re: Dumb question... But curiosity killed the cat...
    I have heard stories of snakes like boas taking pieces of raw meat like chicken, turkey...etc.
  • 10-12-2019, 02:21 PM
    bcr229
    My boas and retics have eaten raw chicken thighs and drumsticks, fed as a supplement to, not in lieu of, whole prey when whole prey was unavailable.

It was a few years back but someone posted in The Retic Nation that he was carrying his snake through the kitchen and it snatched a whole roasted and cooling turkey off the platter as he walked by it after dinner. So... no leftovers.
  • 10-12-2019, 03:33 PM
    Valyndris
    Brian Barczyk gives his snakes some turkey for thanksgiving, his big retic loves it, I know some people get annoyed with him so I will point out where the turkey stuff happens, she catches the turkey at 1:33 and then shows her eating it at 9:52:
    https://youtu.be/mexapB86Ivg?t=93
  • 10-12-2019, 05:06 PM
    Kodayin
    Thanks for the input guys! My BP isnt picky (after a few weeks of working with him) so I may try it, if he doesn't take it well at least my cats will lol
  • 10-12-2019, 07:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Dumb question... But curiosity killed the cat...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodayin View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! My BP isnt picky (after a few weeks of working with him) so I may try it, if he doesn't take it well at least my cats will lol

One thing...keep in mind that raw poultry generally carries Salmonella, which generally can effect dogs & cats. In recent years, some are convinced to feed commercially-
    available "raw diets" to their pets, & fyi, I'm on the email list of https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ & there are frequent alerts for recalls of contaminated pet foods (often
    with Salmonella). Just because you "can" doesn't mean it's a good idea...;)

The OTHER thing: even if your BP isn't picky now & takes it, there's no guarantee that he won't like it better & want it ALL the time, & thereafter reject rodents.
    Like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...this could backfire, because like I say, it's NOT a complete food for snakes, & BPs are quirky eaters.