Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

1 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

White-lipped python

Printable View

• 06-26-2020, 07:24 AM
    Phillydubs
    What temps are you at now?

why do you “brain” the food? Does that mean cut it so the brains come out ?!?
  • 06-26-2020, 07:08 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    Re: White-lipped python
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    What temps are you at now?

why do you “brain” the food? Does that mean cut it so the brains come out ?!?

I lowered the basking heat as you suggested to 89-90. Temps on hot side are 86 (ambient). The cool side is 82-83 right now, but they decrease over the course of the evening-night into the high-70s.

I figured it was worth a shot, I know I've heard mixed things about it. But basically, I put a small cut on the skull to to see if that extra scent would entice him to eat. Nothing excessive

I don't know how effective it is, maybe it varies by individual/species. I think some use this method for finicky eaters, or when transitioning over to different prey items

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
  • 06-26-2020, 07:14 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    He also just finished shedding. [emoji4] There's just that teeny piece of stuck shed- the rest came off clean (you can see it wrapped around his tree).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e5e6ea5a51.jpg

• 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    It's great that he had a good shed. He looks awesome in the new skin. You can get the little stuck piece off anytime. I'd thaw a feeder out for him today or tomorrow evening and let it sit on top of his enclosure for a while. See if he starts sniffing and moving towards it. Super heat it to about 100F with a hairdryer and serve it hot. Hopefully he's over his hunger strike and ready to eat. It's just a matter of time.
  • 06-26-2020, 09:42 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    It's great that he had a good shed. He looks awesome in the new skin. You can get the little stuck piece off anytime. I'd thaw a feeder out for him today or tomorrow evening and let it sit on top of his enclosure for a while. See if he starts sniffing and moving towards it. Super heat it to about 100F with a hairdryer and serve it hot. Hopefully he's over his hunger strike and ready to eat. It's just a matter of time.

Thawed a rat pup and a chick together in the room. Didn't take long before all of my other snakes were going nuts (my Budgett's frog included, but he's a dump truck). This snake didn't even budge from his hide to take a peek[emoji28]

I used the blow dryer to warm up both feeders and get their scents in the air. Tried offering, didn't seem to illicit a reaction, not even a defensive strike when I poked the feeder around a tad inside the hide. He wasn't having it

I just left the rat pup at the hide entrance and fed the chick off. I guess we'll see [emoji2368]

• 06-26-2020, 10:03 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post
    He also just finished shedding. [emoji4] There's just that teeny piece of stuck shed- the rest came off clean (you can see it wrapped around his tree).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e5e6ea5a51.jpg

Looking superb !!
  • 06-27-2020, 11:24 AM
    Awesomethepossum
    Took Jekyll out for a little bit this morning, and he was an angel. I rubbed that bit of stuck shed off as well. He's so shiny now!

He has definitely mellowed down tremendously over the course of a month, even despite very irregular handling. He has an inquisitive, calm demeanor now...not frantic and fear-aggressive like it was previously (thank god). While initially he doesn't want to sit still, he calms down quickly and settles himself.

Basically, his name doesnt suit him anymore [emoji23] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...85a589481d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e26029c744.jpg

• 06-27-2020, 01:50 PM
    Reptile$ 4 Life
    Wow he's stunning!
  • 07-07-2020, 11:23 AM
    Awesomethepossum
    So, Jekyll finally ate last night! I left a small assortment of f/t prey items (a rat pup, a small hamster and a quail chick) in his tub overnight. He tossed the hamster into his water dish and chose the quail [emoji4]

• 07-07-2020, 12:00 PM
    richardhind1972
    Glad he ate for you, stunning

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk