Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

0 members and 3,151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
    juddb
    Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....
    I loved the wheels when i first got them, but now i totally agree with you they are a pain in the butt! But i knew something would happen if i removed them, so every 3 days or so i take them down, scrub them and oil them (olive oil). Its only two so its not much trouble.
  • 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
    nixer
    Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....
    i did the same when i had my asfs.
    i still use that feed for mice its $8.49 from tsc here.
  • 04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by juddb View Post
    I loved the wheels when i first got them, but now i totally agree with you they are a pain in the butt! But i knew something would happen if i removed them, so every 3 days or so i take them down, scrub them and oil them (olive oil). Its only two so its not much trouble.

I found mineral oil works better than olive oil, like, where olive oil works for a day or two, mineral oil works for weeks, unless they really wear it out. :P

Oh, and I don't use wheels in any but young breeding groups, where they have more time to waste instead of being focused on breeding.
  • 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM
    Smith285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post

Feed Dispenser for grow ups: a 2 foot piece of 2" pvc pipe with a 45 degree angle on end with hardware cloth got glued to the feeding end. suspend it from the middle of the top screen so the top sticks out allowing you to add food without having to open the tub.

Sincerely,

Any way you could get a picture of this for us? I'm a visual learner...

I added this thread to my favorites btw, in case I ever need to breed my own feeders.
  • 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
    greghall
    yep thats all right on Im going the hog feed way just don't have a feed store in my area that I know of,never used wheels either.Just pulled all my males from my groups because i have too many ASF's(300 or 400),so Ill just grow & feed off till I run low.no longer selling any because people don't want them in my area(want them too cheap)
  • 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    Any way you could get a picture of this for us? I'm a visual learner...

I added this thread to my favorites btw, in case I ever need to breed my own feeders.

Only down side about them is about once every month or two I have to re-glue the hardware cloth... No big deal though. It only take a minute to do.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...a/DSC01348.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...a/DSC01349.jpg
  • 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
    rocko2527
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    i did the same when i had my asfs.
    i still use that feed for mice its $8.49 from tsc here.

Which food is it the hog feed? Is it available at all tractor supply stores?
  • 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
    FlowRock
    Great post and honest post, I still use wheels for my mice and asf because a: i have a small number of animals and b: I use plastic wheels that do not squeak because i use some bike oil to make them go smooth (neither my mice, nor the asf chew on them)
    But I have always used a feeding regime like you, even on my pet rats, who are fed every 3-5 days, because they hide most of the food anyways and eat it later. I used to throw away huge amounts of expensive rodent diet on every cleaning day, hidden under the bedding. And since my two rats are touching their second birthday and never had any health issues and have a good shape I guess I am doing good.
  • 04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
    Bluebead
    MIKE!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!
    I remember PMing you about this; I'm glad you finally decided to share!!!
    Any reason you dont keep any more females per male????
    Cheers bud!!!!! Great thread; make a sticky!!
  • 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebead View Post
    Any reason you dont keep any more females per male????

Because my best production has come from 1.2 groups. I used to swear by 1.3 groups until I started tracking data on spreadsheets.