Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

2 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 12-02-2019, 10:36 AM
    NJ Balls
    How do you get rid of gnats?
    I got a box of crickets and in addition to the crickets it also had gnats, I think they're attracted to the potatoes they put in the box for food and water.

Long story short, I have three tanks of crested geckos that are natural vivariums and the gnats have now colonized in them and I can't get rid of them.

I tried the online suggestions like cider vinegar and fruit in a jar with the cone on top but it doesn't work. A few years ago I had a fruit fly issue and cider vinegar worked but not with the gnats.

Right now I have a sticky moth trap that I lay on top of the cages that's catching a lot but it's not catching enough to get rid of them completely.

I'm trying to avoid ripping the vivariums apart and starting over but I think that's what going to happen because I'm starting to find the gnats in other parts of my house.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM
    wnateg
    https://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Life-...dp/B01FRUT3FA/

It's safe for animals. Used it in my ETB enclosure.
  • 12-02-2019, 12:05 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: How do you get rid of gnats?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Life-...dp/B01FRUT3FA/

It's safe for animals. Used it in my ETB enclosure.

That didn't quite make sense to me ("fertilizer"?) until I read the product Q & A in the ad further down. :gj:
  • 12-02-2019, 03:41 PM
    NJ Balls
    Re: How do you get rid of gnats?
    Thanks, I'll give a try.

The local mom and pop pet shop by my house said they had a customer that used charcoal (the stuff you put in a fish filter) and mixed it with the soil.

Has anyone heard of that before?