Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

3 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
  • 12-07-2003, 01:03 AM
    RPlank
    I had most of my feeder rats in a 10 gallon aquarium. For the number of rats I needed, it was way too small. At PetCo, I found a wire cage addition for a 10 gallon aquarium. It effectively triples the floorspace of the aquarium. I have been wanting to get rid of the aquarium anyways, so I cut a hole in the lid of a 41 qt sterilite tub, and secured the cage on top. Voila! A custom rat cage, with lots of floor space, and in a lightweight configuration that is easy to clean!
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album14/ratrack.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/albums/album14/ratrack2.jpg

The cage addition was $40. The only problem with using it on the aquarium was that the rats urinate & defecate around the edges of the cage, and it falls outside the aquarium. With the sterilite, it just falls on the lid, and is easy to clean off.

I suppose an old birdcage could be used in much the same way. Just leave the bottom off, and secure it to a rubbermaid or sterilite lid.
  • 12-07-2003, 01:13 AM
    invadertoast
    Nice! I've never seen an add-on thing like that, good idea. Only thing I would worry about is them chewing through the Sterilite... who knows though. I had quite the rat cage contraption that my father helped me set up as a little kid, I've got a picture of it somewhere... kind of rediculous and not very escape proof, but my 10 gallon tank was overcrowded too, lol. I had quite a pet rat collection... good thing they're not around to see what I do to rats now :twisted: I'll post that pic if I can find it, mine was more funny than anything.