Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

0 members and 3,218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
  • 02-24-2012, 04:25 AM
    wendhend
    Snake Awareness Day - May 14th, 2012
    I tried searching this topic with the search function on this forum and came up with absolutely nothing, so I'm really curious whether anyone else here is following the Snake Awareness Day movement that is coming together? It is mostly happening on Facebook. Here is a link to the main Facebook page that addresses it, and snake afficionados from most states in the US have already created state and regional pages to help gather support for the movement. I just created one for Oregon a couple days ago, and I am working with my local herp group on generating ideas for what we can do in our own community. Anyway, they have decided to set the official national Snake Awareness Day for May 14th of this year.

Let's face it.... the general public everywhere really could use a lot more education and awareness about snakes if we don't wish to see any more snake bans come to pass. I do think it is a really good idea for snake keepers to come together within their own communities and make an effort to educate the public about what wonderful animals snakes are and to help clear up misconceptions about them. If you are a Facebooker, I would encourage you to do a search to find out if your state or region already has a snake awareness day page. If not, it is very easy to create one by clicking on the "create a page" button you see at the top right hand corner of the main page that I linked here.

Also please take a look at my Snake Awareness Day - Oregon page at this link and "like" and "share" it if you agree with me that we need to educate the public and promote snake awareness within our communities. Thanks! :)
  • 02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
    wendhend
    Re: Snake Awareness Day - May 14th, 2012
    Snake Awareness Day made the Reptile Report. Those of you that are on Facebook, please "like" and "share" these types of links, so that the reptile community and others will become aware of this movement and get involved in making an effort to educate and promote snake awareness within their communities. Here's the link to the Reptile Report Story:

http://thereptilereport.com/snake-awareness-day/
  • 02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
    JohnNJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
    Snake Awareness Day made the Reptile Report.

Given the ties between this site and that one I'm pretty sure if you post that a snake bit you someplace it shouldn't have it will make it to the Reptile Report. :P
  • 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
    wendhend
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Given the ties between this site and that one I'm pretty sure if you post that a snake bit you someplace it shouldn't have it will make it to the Reptile Report. :P

Do they have a bad relationship? I wouldn't know that.
  • 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
    JohnNJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
    Do they have a bad relationship? I wouldn't know that.

No, it's a close relationship. :D

http://thereptilereport.com/about/
  • 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
    wendhend
    Well, I've been here over two years, and I honestly don't know anything about any what kind of contentions might be involved. Personally I think herp people should try to get along for the greater good. I'm really just trying to share information that might make a difference in raising awareness about snakes within our communities and maybe even help to prevent further snake bans from happening. Is that so bad?
  • 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
    JohnNJ
    Wendy:

Never mind. :rolleye2:

John
  • 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Wendy:

Never mind. :rolleye2:

John

:P

I get what you're saying, John. However, if you actually go and check out The Reptile Report, I believe you'll find that it's very balanced. If anything, I go out of my way to not show any favoritism to this site.

They're two completely separate jobs and responsibilities and the two sites are not directly related in any way.

I own this site, but don't make any money from it. I'm a paid employee of The Reptile Report and do not own any part of it. Showing favoritism to BP.net doesn't benefit me or either site in any way.
  • 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
    WingedWolfPsion
    I like this idea, and I'm considering contacting the local library here, to see if they would like me to bring in some snakes and give a short talk.
  • 02-25-2012, 12:48 AM
    wendhend
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I like this idea, and I'm considering contacting the local library here, to see if they would like me to bring in some snakes and give a short talk.

That sounds like a good idea! My local herp group is hoping to do a big snake display at one of the malls, and probably some of us will do school classroom presentations as well.