Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

1 members and 2,866 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Pit Bulls?

Printable View

• 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM
    mr.spooky
    Re: Pit Bulls?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by that_dc5 View Post
    If you put them side by side they are the same thing. One is recognized by one club while the other is not. Again I'm no dog expert, but they are the same thing down to the core. The only differences Im aware of is mayeb size and that amstaff's have black noses. But other than that they are the same thing.

OK.
    spooky
  • 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
    boadaddy
    Quote:

If you put them side by side they are the same thing. One is recognized by one club while the other is not. Again I'm no dog expert, but they are the same thing down to the core. The only differences Im aware of is mayeb size and that amstaff's have black noses. But other than that they are the same thing.

LOL they aren't the same, sorry bud.....:confused:
  • 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Quote:

Actually you are debating on FOUR different dogs/breed.
    There is the Staffordshire Terrier, American Stafforshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, and now also the American Bully.
    They are all different and have different standards.;)
    There IS NOT a "pitbull" per say, it is a blanket term that covers A LOT of bully breeds as those listed above and include Mastiffs, Corsos, and Shar Pei.
    Looks may be close but dna and blood are not. Its all about whats in the mix:gj:
  • 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawly's Mom View Post
    Thank you both for the info so far. I was reading more about them, I was truly curious. It shocked me to learn they had a better temprament score this past year than Golden Retrievers and Collies. I know if we ever get a dog again we will get a rescue. We don't want to go through the puppy stage, however, that being said its sometimes hard to know exactly what you're getting into with a rescue. I thought perhaps with a breed specific rescue you'd have a better idea of their temprement as they would have had a little more time and effort put into the dog than say a simple shelter.

I sure wish more people would study and learn facts rather than believe what they see on TV:rolleyes::gj:
  • 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
    TheSnakeEye
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Actually you are debating on FOUR different dogs/breed.
    There is the Staffordshire Terrier, American Stafforshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, and now also the American Bully.
    They are all different and have different standards.;)
    There IS NOT a "pitbull" per say, it is a blanket term that covers A LOT of bully breeds as those listed above and include Mastiffs, Corsos, and Shar Pei.
    Looks may be close but dna and blood are not. Its all about whats in the mix:gj:

This is true. Others on the forum may disagree, and I honestly dont care. But to me an American Pitbull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier, and a Staffordshire Terrier are almost the exact same things with a few exceptions. If I purchased an amstaff, I would not call it a pit and vicew versa. If you guys want to sit there and get technical, go right ahead. To me they are almost exactly the same. Same ancestors, same drive, same reasons for being bred, same size/shape/ build ratio to one another (one of the strands of staffys are smaller). And finally, to most people cannot tell them apart.

American Bully's on the other hand, to me are not the same. To me they are glorified mutts, who all look different. You have the athletic body with the huge head, then you have the short legged, huge body/head, wrinkly faced ones. I don't recognize that as a breed.
  • 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM
    mr.spooky
    Quote:

American Bully's on the other hand, to me are not the same. To me they are glorified mutts, who all look different. You have the athletic body with the huge head, then you have the short legged, huge body/head, wrinkly faced ones. I don't recognize that as a breed.

hahahahahahaha +100!!!!!! i gotta agree with that.
    spooky
  • 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM
    ShockBunny
    As far as pits pulling goes- a Halti or gentle leader is your best friend! They let you control the dog from the face like a horse rather then from the neck. The only downside is that they don't for certain breeds. So my sharpei mix has to do without it. Anything with short face or really fat muzzle may not be able to use it. But it's a godsend for our pit mix! I like the Halti brand because they have a "backup" lead on them. We attach it to a choke chain so we can have control in case he does slip out of the halti.
  • 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
    mr.spooky
    iv tried the halti,,, still got it along with an assortment of unused leashes.. iv herd that those were really good leashes from alot of people, and most everybody says that they work for them... it just made my dog pull with his head down LOL..
    spooky
  • 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM
    PitOnTheProwl
    A halti will work with all the power breeds "with" training but I dont like the fact that a lot of the morons think its a muzzle:rage::rage:
  • 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM
    jason_ladouceur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    A halti will work with all the power breeds "with" training but I dont like the fact that a lot of the morons think its a muzzle:rage::rage:

that's because you don't live in Ontario. Where some @$#%!^&&@#%$ decide to pass a law requiring all pits to be muzzled. not only do haltis work to stop even the worst pullers with training. but because they look like muzzle you can get away with walking your dog here without having to tie a cage over their face.