Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

0 members and 3,416 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 04-06-2017, 09:26 PM
    zina10
    Is this for real??? Guy free handling King Cobras, other hots..
    supposedly they did not have the venom glands removed, etc.

Is he for real???

https://www.instagram.com/chrisweeet/?hl=en
  • 04-06-2017, 09:31 PM
    Gc99
    Re: Is this for real??? Guy free handling King Cobras, other hots..
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    supposedly they did not have the venom glands removed, etc.

Is he for real???

https://www.instagram.com/chrisweeet/?hl=en

Apparently yes lol im crazy but no that much, i'll stick to my ball pythons

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
  • 04-06-2017, 09:39 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gc99 View Post
    Apparently yes lol im crazy but no that much, i'll stick to my ball pythons

Seriously, though...when a guy like that bites the dust (or gets bitten into the dust) that is just darwinism at work. In my opinion.

But the impact is so irresponsible. I've seen some of those pictures and the typical "aw, these snakes DO get attached to their owner", "they CAN be tamed", "that is SOOOOOO cool" replies. Can just see an impressionable youth go out catch a Copperhead to "tame", free handle and show off with.

Jeez.
  • 04-06-2017, 09:48 PM
    Gc99
    Quote:

Seriously, though...when a guy like that bites the dust (or gets bitten into the dust) that is just darwinism at work. In my opinion.

But the impact is so irresponsible. I've seen some of those pictures and the typical "aw, these snakes DO get attached to their owner", "they CAN be tamed", "that is SOOOOOO cool" replies. Can just see an impressionable youth go out catch a Copperhead to "tame", free handle and show off with.

Jeez.

It is irresponsible. I showed my little brothers and sisters that snakes can be nice with my ball pythons but i told them to never catch a wild snake because they can be dangerous, and to this day if they see even a baby garter snake in the backyard they come calling me. We cant do anything if that guy doesnt care about his own safety, but i dont agree with posting pics of you handling hots like its a freaking ball python, you gonna make people think its safe to do that. I would hold that snake with a ten foot snake hook, im not trying to die lol

• 04-06-2017, 10:12 PM
    rock
    Seriously, amaaaaaaazing animals! Seriously, incredible pictures!

How is he not dead yet!?! Seriously??
  • 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM
    tttaylorrr
    i'd love to see the few hots owners weigh in on this. i'm sure they won't like it.
  • 04-06-2017, 11:39 PM
    Oxylepy
    This doesn't look like he's being a jerk, it looks like he has good snake hands. Good on him. It's risky, but it's similar to handling another snake without being bit.

Now, other people trying to replicate it is dangerous.

Just because other people are stupid enough to go out and do something stupid, doesn't mean he can't show off his snakes and ability with them.
  • 04-06-2017, 11:43 PM
    redshepherd
    It is irresponsible, and ESPECIALLY irresponsible to post your free handling videos online imo... because it eggs on other people to try it too, however little experience they may have. If he even just free-handled one or two individuals and specified that he "knows the animal extremely well, and do not try this on your own" or a warning like that, I would be okay with it.

And look, this guy in the link is only 20 years old. One can't honestly believe he is doing this because of his "ability" with them.
  • 04-07-2017, 12:03 AM
    zina10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    This doesn't look like he's being a jerk, it looks like he has good snake hands. Good on him. It's risky, but it's similar to handling another snake without being bit.

Now, other people trying to replicate it is dangerous.

Just because other people are stupid enough to go out and do something stupid, doesn't mean he can't show off his snakes and ability with them.

Honestly, though, I think he has simply been lucky, is all. Has nothing to do with good snake hands. Just about every experienced snake handler has been bitten by snakes (non ven) when handling them. Oftentimes more then once or twice.
    Only difference is, if that guy is going to be bit (and I've heard he has been before, but not sure) its going to cost A LOT of money in medical bills and anti venom to keep him alive. I wonder if he has savings to cover that or expects health insurance to do so?

You are right, its not on him directly if "stupid" people try to do the same with bad results.
    However, when (and I believe its not if but when) something bad happens, the resulting negative press will affect our entire industry, like all negative press that has to do with snakes usually does.
    Imho.

Interesting to see different viewpoints, though, so thanks for sharing :)
  • 04-07-2017, 12:28 AM
    redshepherd
    Quote:

However, when (and I believe its not if but when) something bad happens, the resulting negative press will affect our entire industry, like all negative press that has to do with snakes usually does.
    Imho.

Exactly that too. When the press posts about fatal/serious "snake attacks" from retics, burms, venomous, people don't pay attention to what species it was. They just see "snake" and they have fear and misunderstanding, and it affects us all.

And the more I look at this 20 year old ding dong free-handling his hots FOR FUN with no warning or reasoning given, the more I cringe...