Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
    Mendel's Balls
    Number of Times Male can be breed in a season
    How many times can a male be breed in a breeding season?

Also I have heard that female ball can have their season whenever you plan as long as you get the temperature and lighting conditions properly cycled?

Can you breed a male any time or do they require being cooled too?
  • 05-25-2006, 03:59 PM
    elevatethis
    Re: Number of Times Male can be breed in a season
    I think what you are asking is more of an art than an exact science...which will probably be hard for you handle mendel! :P

From what I know, males will "do their thing" year round. I've read that cooling increases testosterone levels in males, thus leaving open the possibility that cooling could increase fertility. I haven't seen any solid data on that, its just speculation.

I think a more experienced breeder will reply with more substance than I, but from what I've gathered, I'd lean towards a more conservative breeding routine for male. 1 male to 4 girls, 3-4 days rest in between copulation, etc etc...I'd like to avoid any stress or fatigue related health issues for my boys.
  • 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
    SnakeySnakeSnake
    1-20?

I think someone mentioned before about a small/young male, expensive morph, being bred to 15 females in his first season and getting sick and dying, as it is taxing on their immune system?

Ok, I got my word of hearsay in, will let the experienced people reply now :)
  • 05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
    elevatethis
    http://www.8ballpythons.com/journal/...ngcalendar.htm

Read the paragraphs in November, December, and January. Should give you a little bit of insight.
  • 05-25-2006, 05:03 PM
    joepythons
    I do not cool down any of my snakes for breeding(corns and ball pythons) and i have success two years so far.I think you can place a male in with 10 to 12 females with a short break in between is the normal from what i have read.Some males might be able to handle more lol.
  • 05-25-2006, 05:15 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joepythons
    I think you can place a male in with 10 to 12 females with a short break in between is the normal from what i have read.Some males might be able to handle more lol.

You can stick a male with as many females as you want, doesn't mean you're going to get eggs from all of them .... ROFL! :D

-adam
  • 05-25-2006, 05:56 PM
    elevatethis
    Quote:

I do not cool down any of my snakes for breeding(corns and ball pythons) and i have success two years so far.I think you can place a male in with 10 to 12 females with a short break in between is the normal from what i have read.Some males might be able to handle more lol.

Define what "success" entails...does that mean that every girl you bred layed viable eggs that hatched?
  • 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
    Wild Bill
    From what I have been reading from other breeders is that cooling isn't as necessary as once believed. Some just shorten their photoperiod during the breeding season. I hear more and more breeders just keeping constant temperatures year round. :)
  • 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM
    joepythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Define what "success" entails...does that mean that every girl you bred layed viable eggs that hatched?

Last year my snow female dropped 12 eggs all hatched out.So far this year my snow dropped 14 eggs due to hatch 6/13/2006,my silver queen dropped 9 eggs due to hatch 6/4/2006.I have candled the silver queens eggs all have someone inside lol.My snows eggs are all in a large clump but look very good.Also last year my big female ball dropped 8 eggs all hatched.Another female ball dropped 11 eggs 8 hatched.No one was ever cooled down at anytime.This might not work for everyone but it surely works for me.
  • 05-26-2006, 12:41 AM
    Aric
    Quote:

I do not cool down any of my snakes for breeding(corns and ball pythons)

I have a local breeder thats doesnt cool any of his snakes, and let me tell you he has PLENTY of snakes to go around when hatching comes around lol. He does the same with milks and kings and lets all of the females (every snake he breeds) Maternally Incubate the eggs themselves. Hes been breeding his snakes this way for 40+ years and has great success. I still dont know though, I would rather cool the snakes and incubate the eggs myself:rockon: