Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

3 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Reusing Heat Packs

Printable View

• 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM
    Charles8088
    Reusing Heat Packs
    These heat packs that people use to ship their animals, are they reusable? And, if so, how do you re-activate the heat?
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...7_12_38_14.jpg
  • 11-07-2017, 01:45 PM
    tttaylorrr
    i do not think they are meant to be reused.
  • 11-07-2017, 01:51 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    They are not reusable once they are activated and they activate soon as you remove the packaging.

It's a simple chemical reaction (oxidation process) once they are exposed to oxygen.
  • 11-07-2017, 04:47 PM
    Charles8088
    Re: Reusing Heat Packs
    Thanks. Good to know.
  • 11-11-2017, 03:10 PM
    elleon
    A heat pack called Hot Snapz is reusable though! They can be boiled to cancel the chemical reaction, preparing them for their next use, and can supposedly be reused pretty infinitely. They do get to about 130F though, so just gotta be careful about insulating them for use with bp's.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
  • 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    A heat pack called Hot Snapz is reusable though! They can be boiled to cancel the chemical reaction, preparing them for their next use, and can supposedly be reused pretty infinitely. They do get to about 130F though, so just gotta be careful about insulating them for use with bp's.

They should not be used with BP, there are very specific protocols when it comes to shipping and only heat pack designated for shipping reptiles, fish and amphibians should be used.

Every year people will cut corners and use warmers and every year you hear about snakes that over heated and died because of it.
  • 11-11-2017, 04:55 PM
    elleon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    They should not be used with BP, there are very specific protocols when it comes to shipping and only heat pack designated for shipping reptiles, fish and amphibians should be used.

Every year people will cut corners and use warmers and every year you hear about snakes that over heated and died because of it.

I'm terribly sorry! I didn't realize OP was specifically talking about for shipping. I know nothing about shipping reptiles. Please listen to these kind experts instead!

• 11-11-2017, 05:46 PM
    Momokahn
    The heat pack/ hand warmer you have in your picture appears to be the type that incorporates iron and some type of dessicant. When exposed to the atmosphere the dessicant immediately begins capturing moisture. This process begins to oxidize (rust) the iron which produces heat. This type is a one and done.