Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 09-09-2007, 11:37 PM
    raptorslovepuns
    Re: General Tarantula CAre, what to know BEFORE you buy
    Great thread shadowspider. I've heard that mice shouldn't be offered frequently because they don't provide the proper nutritional content for a T. Is that false?
  • 09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    I'm not getting any tarantulas and I still thought this was a very informative and interesting read. Actually it almost makes me want to get one. :P Great job!
  • 09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
    jkobylka
    thank you, great read...
  • 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM
    Shadowspider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorslovepuns
    Great thread shadowspider. I've heard that mice shouldn't be offered frequently because they don't provide the proper nutritional content for a T. Is that false?

That is true. Vertebrate prey as a staple diet provides a tarantula with too much calcium content and not enough vitimans and minerals of other types to ensure a proper, well balanced diet. The acculmination of calcium can, especially in the larger tarantula species, such as Theraphosa and Lasidora just to name two, can cause molting difficulties.
    Feeding vertebrate prey occasionally however, is fine, but the primary, staple diet should be invertebrate prey.
    I feed my Theraphosa blondi (Goliath bird eater) a pinky mouse about once every month or two but aside from that, she gets roaches, crickets, grasshoppers and large moths on a regular basis.
    Quote:

~Jay_Bunny
    ~I'm not getting any tarantulas and I still thought this was a very informative and interesting read. Actually it almost makes me want to get one. Great job!
    Well thank you. :D
    Thanks all for the comments, I really appreciate it.
  • 11-05-2010, 07:59 PM
    ajsnoopy
    Thanks so much for posting this! I'm looking to get a T in a couple weeks at the Phoenix Reptile Expo, and this care guide answered most, if not all, of my questions! Definitely very informative and helpful :gj:
  • 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
    Mft62485
    This is a great read.
  • 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM
    Brad91
    I absolutely HATE spiders but after reading this I think it's time to overcome my fear and get one. :D And like you said, they're to be seen and not touched, (and trust me, I won't be touching it;)) I don't think venom and aggressiveness really matters just hardiness and beauty. Correct?
  • 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
    adamsky27
    Very useful information. Thank you!