Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,469

2 members and 3,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 05-13-2011, 01:59 AM
    IlliniHerpEnthusiast
    Business start-up help: Trademarks, patents, and web-hosting.
    Hello,

My name is Thomas and I'm a college student graduating come December 2011. I am developing my own reptile related business that revolves around the hobby. The goal of my business is to provide for a self-sustaining collection of phenomenal reptiles. I plan to bring great ideas to the reptile industry and launch ball python husbandry into the next era.

I have already purchased a domain and created what I want my trademark to be. I'd love to learn where all you breeders/ business professionals go to get trademarks and legal stuff done.

I cannot emphasize the amount of ambition and excitement I have for my company. However, this business will not be my primary occupation. My highest priority is to launch my business right before I graduate and let it grow and build a reputation before returning to graduate school within a few years. Then I will know much more about management and have more resources to invest into my dream.

I am greatly appreciative for any advice and cannot wait to absorb knowledge and taste some wisdom.

To clarify:
    1. Information on how and where to get a trademark processed.
    2. Best companies for web-hosting.
    3. Patents in a nut-shell.
    4. Any advice you'd like to share.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Thomas R.

1.0 Normal (Monty)
  • 05-13-2011, 02:34 AM
    Kateesaurus
    Re: Business start-up help: Trademarks, patents, and web-hosting.
    I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you but I assume from your screen name that you go to U of I. I do also and my roommates are software and hardware engineers respectively. They are currently starting a business as well (not in reptiles) and may be willing to help. Let me know. Also its always nice to know someone else nearby who is into herps too.
  • 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
    psychophobia
    i dont have any advise for u but i always help other people to design their website,logo n give idea for them that wanna start a business.if u have any problem or need my help,please pm me.
  • 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
    monk90222
    I used LegalZoom.com to form my LLC.
    I use GoDaddy to host my website.

My advice....Make sure you are prepared to do the work necessary to maintain and grow a reptile business. Hatching snakes is a great feeling, but it only happens once a year....the rest of the year it's all about cleaning up snake crap and cleaning rodent bedding.....
  • 05-14-2011, 11:29 AM
    OhhWatALoser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniHerpEnthusiast View Post
    2. Best companies for web-hosting.
    3. Patents in a nut-shell.

2. go daddy has been good to me.

3. what are you patenting? snakes are naturally occurring, you can't patent them.
  • 05-14-2011, 12:23 PM
    koloo921
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    I used LegalZoom.com to form my LLC.
    I use GoDaddy to host my website.

My advice....Make sure you are prepared to do the work necessary to maintain and grow a reptile business. Hatching snakes is a great feeling, but it only happens once a year....the rest of the year it's all about cleaning up snake crap and cleaning rodent bedding.....

I second that!! LOL My friday night date is a radio and a bunch of rats with dirty cages in my basement.

It won't get old if you have a true love for the hobby!!!!!

I attend school for website design. I run my own server and don't have to pay a monthly hosting fee. It is easy to do if you have a computer that can handle the work load. (It will only work with a DSL or Broadband connection) It took me 5 years of research to figure out how to do it for free;) They don't teach you that kinda stuff in college. Pm me if you want some details. The only thing that I pay for is my website domain. I get that through GoDaddy!

I'm still in the designing stages for my snake site, but here is my dog one.

http://www.dailybulldogs.com

Good Luck!
  • 05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
    IlliniHerpEnthusiast
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I have the domain through GoDaddy.com and I my sister-in-law is going to help me with the web-hosting. I just wanted to trademark my business logo and consider a patent for an invention (not a snake). Keep the great responses coming.

Thanks

Thomas R.