Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,073

1 members and 2,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
  • 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
    mxrider42
    Fox News 9:45 Friday Morning
    I was contacted by Fox News to do an interview in the morning on Pythons. They said they are looking for someone to just talk about why they love snakes and how the legislation will affect them if it is passed. Wish me luck. I am nervous, but I love to talk about snakes so it should be pretty easy. It is only a 4 minute interview. They want me to bring one or two of my snakes.
    I am open to any suggestions or pointers on what to say.
    Thanks
    Trey
  • 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
    mainbutter
    Re: Fox News 9:45 Friday Morning
    Bring an albino, they are always crowd-pleasers.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
    Freakie_frog
    bring or borrow a pied..
  • 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
    tonkatoyman
    Bring babies, less intimidating or juvinials. Pieds, albinos, spiders. Something easy to see on camera
  • 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
    panthercz
    Dress appropriately, don't look like a scumbag.
    *Know what you are talking about!*
    Point out that snakes are not viscous killers and not all pythons get huge like 99% of people think they do.
    Watch what you say because they will edit it and twist everything you say. They will also play it, so it is completely out of context any chance they get.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
    twistedtails
    I think you should really hit on the fact that, snakes, if kept and respected properly are just as safe if not safer than other animals. Snakes don't escape because they are masters at it (well some are) they get out mostly due to poor husbandry. Snakes that are well fed will most likely be on the heat digesting not roaming to find more food. Good luck...Oh yeah, no pressure. If for some odd reason after your interview we aren't allowed to have snakes anymore, I don't think we will blame it ALL on you....j/k:rofl:
  • 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
    tonkatoyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    Watch what you say because they will edit it and twist everything you say. They will also play it, so it is completely out of context any chance they get.

I would agree normally but this is Fox news, they try to see it straight up.:D
  • 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM
    twistedtails
    Quote:

Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    Dress appropriately, don't look like a scumbag.
    *Know what you are talking about!*
    Point out that snakes are not viscous killers and not all pythons get huge like 99% of people think they do.

They can't edit a live interview, and trust me if they do there is always another news channel out there that would love to burn the reputation of there competitors for doing it.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM
    twistedtails
    Also Fox new's slogan is, "We report, you decide." They are a neutral station.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
    tonkatoyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    I think you should really hit on the fact that, snakes, if kept and respected properly are just as safe if not safer than other animals.

Absolutely, the snake that killed the child was no different than an improperly kept dog. And remember this is the only captive reptile associated death we have heard of in years!!!!!:salute:
  • 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
    mxrider42
    Thanks for all the advice. I was planning to take a normal and an Albino.

Panthercz. I was worried about them cutting my words. But it will be Live.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
    mainbutter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post

..lol

You're joking, right?
  • 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Also touch on the fact that reptiles are hypoalergenic for children or adults that may want a pet but have pet allergies.

And what ever you do don't point out what might make reptiles a better pet alternative to cats or dogs but rather just an equal and just as viable a pet option as cat or dogs.

Suggest loads of research before getting a pet reptile. And even offer your phone number or email for people that may have questions.

You want to show Reptiles and snakes in particular as being not only a livelihood but also a desired pet in todays society.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
    TheNunciate
    If I were you, I would mention how destructive it would be to hobbyists and professionals to federally regulate pythons when they can only survive in the wilds of a very few states. Maybe mention how the community supports regulation for the safety of the animals and to encourage owners to be held to certain standards of responsiblity for their animals but that a state by state mandate would be much more applicable in this case. This HR669 bill is causing waves of anxiety through the python community but the regulations should only really be concerned in just a few southern states with ideal climate. Federal regulation should be a last resort in any case, particularly where people's personal freedoms are involved, such as the freedom to responsibly keep exotic animals.

My state of MA has issued a letter in response to questions posed by the USFWS and I think it is beautifully stated.

http://www.neherp.com/herp-legislati...-usfws-inquiry

Education is key, regulation is tyranny.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
    TheOtherLeadingBrand
    I hate Fox news with a red passion, but if they do this and do it right, I may hate them with only a... pink passion! lol

This is a WONDERFUL opportunity!
  • 07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
    elevatethis
    I second the notion of dressing professionally - business casual at a minimum. It doesn't help our cause when every "reptile person" goes on national TV looking like Crocodile Dundee in everyday life. Shave, wear some dockers, a polo, and a nice watch, etc...

And being live at 9:45am on FOX news...your audience will be old men and soccer moms. Choose your words carefully. Or wear a "Palin 2012" shirt. Kidding.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
    wilomn
    Don't be what you're not. If you don't own a polo shirt, don't wear one. Be comfortable with what you're doing and remember, no one knows what you do or don't know. Don't be afraid to say you don't know an answer but that you'll find out or to give an answer you are sure of.

DO NOT give out your phone number or email unless you want whackos contacting you. Make up an email that is only for that show if you want but don't use one you like.

Don't talk about live feeding, even if you do it. Talk about how you have frozen rodents, don't say mice or rats, in your freezer that you thaw as necessary.

Drop the bp.net name or any other site you think would serve as a good resource for the general public.

Good luck, and be sure they give you a tape of the interview.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
    Jenn
    Quote:

Fox News straight up? Really? When did they change?
  • 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
    tonkatoyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Fox News straight up? Really? When did they change?

You must remember this is not a political interview, but seeking info. They aren't interviewing a senator but someone with a hobby. They aren't going to do an attack job. It would be bad P.R.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
    Jenn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    I hate Fox news with a red passion, but if they do this and do it right, I may hate them with only a... pink passion! lol

This is a WONDERFUL opportunity!

I'm with you on Fox. I wouldn't trust them at all. Don't answer any leading questions. Like, has anyone you know ever been injured by a python, or, have you ever been bitten, or, could an adult python kill a baby human?

If you hear questions like this you will know right away that you have been set-up.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
    Jenn
    Quote:

You must remember this is not a political interview, but seeking info. They aren't interviewing a senator but someone with a hobby. They aren't going to do an attack job. It would be bad P.R.

Exactly, that's my point. It would be bad PR, but not for Fox, for us.
  • 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
    TheOtherLeadingBrand
    True, and that goes for any station. This isn't about left or right, this is about our snakes.

How would one answer a question such as, "Can an adult python kill a baby human" because obviously, yes, an adult python of some species CAN kill a baby human (but so can a dog, so can a lot of things)? These are the types of questions to prepare for! I suck at being on the spot, so I could never do this.
  • 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
    wilomn
    You're not obligated to answer anything.

If this is a bushwhacking job, just get up and leave.

You don't OWE them a thing.

If you're uncomfortable, hit the bricks.
  • 07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
    tonkatoyman
    Remember that you are talking to someone who does not understand why you do what you do. My advise is to be polite, and professional. Undertsand that they may not agree with the keeping of snakes and will have some idea of who likes them. Take the opportunity with your dress, speach and manner to change that perception into a positive one. Good Luck:gj::gj:
  • 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM
    elevatethis
    I would handle any leading questions with humor, and also maybe provide some statistics on injuries caused by other more traditional pets.

For example, on dogs:

4.7 Million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. Of those, about 800 Million require medical care, and on average, 12 are fatal. In 2008, 23 fatal dog attacks occurred in the U.S. -USlaw.com

You could follow that up with a statement like this:

"Contrast that with reptile pets, the numbers don't even come close, despite widespread media coverage on the few attacks that do unfortunately occur. Dog bites are not news simply because they are so common."

Good luck!
  • 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
    mainbutter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post
    4.7 Million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. Of those, about 800 Million require medical care, and on average, 12 are fatal. In 2008, 23 fatal dog attacks occurred in the U.S. -USlaw.com

check your numbers there..

800 million > 4.7 million. I'm sure it was a typo lol, I assume you meant 800 thousand?
  • 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
    PiebaldFan
    yea go get them bro, tell em a few things let them learn,, you can do ittttt lad!!!:salute:
  • 07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
    panthercz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mxrider42 View Post
    Panthercz. I was worried about them cutting my words. But it will be Live.

That's a plus then if it's live.
  • 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
    elevatethis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    check your numbers there..

800 million > 4.7 million. I'm sure it was a typo lol, I assume you meant 800 thousand?

oops....I did mean 800,000....

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Persona...hp?item=191970
  • 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
    m00kfu
    Quote:

Also Fox new's slogan is, "We report, you decide." They are a neutral station.

:8: Since when?
  • 07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
    Enser54
    Bring more than just a normal and albino... let them see the many different morphs maybe people might get interested...
  • 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
    twistedtails
    Quote:

Originally Posted by m00kfu View Post
    :8: Since when?

You would have to understand how a nuetral station reports. If you pay close attention to how all of the news channels report, you will notice that Fox will report on a subject but not chose a side on wether it is wrong or right. In "broadcating terms" they are a nuetral station. I have a degree in audio and one of my classes covered news broadcasting. They are definately nuetral.
  • 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
    wilomn
    Quote:

You would have to understand how a nuetral station reports. If you pay close attention to how all of the news channels report, you will notice that Fox will report on a subject but not chose a side on wether it is wrong or right. In "broadcating terms" they are a nuetral station. I have a degree in audio and one of my classes covered news broadcasting. They are definately nuetral.

Definitions, always with the definitions.

I would wager that your version of neutral is not the same as some of the other posters here.

There is sometimes a slant out here depending on the reporter and when in the day it's on.
  • 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Regardless of the News station the only thing that Trey needs to worry about is which way the information he presents slants. Since interview is live there will be little chance for editing and altering of the way he presents this information.

I could give a flip which way they slant when they report on the war, the economy, or even mens fashion. They could be the United Communist News Network for all I care. What we should be more concerned about is making sure Trey is prepared for this interview and has our utmost support. We should be worried bout how many of us are going to email Fox thanking them for having Trey on to speak and allowing him to voice his concerns and views on a national platform.

Leave the politics of responsible journalism for another thread! One of our own has a chance to make our voice heard, stand behind him lets give him the info he asked for so he can present the kind of front we have all been whining that this industry needs.
  • 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

I was contacted by Fox News to do an interview in the morning on Pythons. They said they are looking for someone to just talk about why they love snakes and how the legislation will affect them if it is passed. Wish me luck. I am nervous, but I love to talk about snakes so it should be pretty easy. It is only a 4 minute interview. They want me to bring one or two of my snakes.
    I am open to any suggestions or pointers on what to say.
    Thanks
    Trey

Very cool Trey - is this Fox Atlanta, or the national Fox News channel? How did they hear about you?
  • 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
    mxrider42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Very cool Trey - is this Fox Atlanta, or the national Fox News channel? How did they hear about you?

He said he found my website searching the internet. It is National Fox News.
  • 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Be sure to ask them if there will be a link to your interview - I have to work, but would love to see it later!
  • 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Quote:

also Trey you need a copy of the questions they plan to ask for prep reasons.
  • 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
    spk329
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    also Trey you need a copy of the questions they plan to ask for prep reasons.

Now that's a great idea :)
  • 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
    2kdime
    Lots of good points.

Only thing I can emphasize is...

Dress casual but NICE....don't dress how they think your gonna come dressed,

That means you don't wear your SLAYER t-shirt:D
  • 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
    Repsrul
    As far as what type of BP to show case. I would definitely bring a Pied. When I bring out my female and show her to people they are all like "what is that it is one of the coolest snakes I have ever seen". This is from people that do not like snakes.Then the other one or two would be a Butter, Lesser, Mojave something with a soft gentle color to them. I would not bring an Albino most people from my experience do not like the red eyes. Good luck don't be to nervous and be yourself.
  • 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
    dc4teg
    i know you will respersent the reptile community greatly!!!!!
  • 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM
    frankykeno
    I'm sure you'll do a great job. My only advice other than what's been already said is to just show your love for the snakes, call them by name, personalize this so the watchers can connect to you as a person who loves their snakes just as much as they love their dogs or cats. I know I've had people in my home who are shocked that a snake has a name. :rolleyes: I think mentioning that they are a hypallergenic pet is a wonderful idea!

I would have the most current stats on dog attacks handy in your brain. They are likely going to bring up the recent death of that poor child so you need to be prepared, calm and reasonable in your response. Show caring for the child but as a victim of poor managment of a pet (as in it could just as well have been the family's dog that killed her), NOT the victim of a snake. Focus on proper and responsible ownership of any pet around small children.

What a wonderful opportunity for you, relax, enjoy it. :)
  • 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
    freelancer
    You've already been given some great advice here, and I won't comment on Fox either way in my post... really just wanted to show some support :D It looks like you're doing what you need to do to be prepared, so get out there and show them what you're about, I'm sure you'll be a great representative of the reptile community. Try to enjoy it while you're doing it, no need to be too nervous about it :gj:
  • 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
    AaronP
    Bring an Axanthic and Jamie!
  • 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
    Lolo76
    Good luck - I am totally going to TiVo the show! And I have never wanted to TiVo FOX News before, so consider this an honor... LOL. :P What time zone will it be aired in?
  • 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
    mxrider42
    I just got off the phone with the guy from Fox. The car will be here to get me at 8:15 and I go on live at 9:45 Eastern Time.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted comments. I will take them all into consideration. Fox has even given me the opportunity to give some input about the questions they will ask me during the interview. So it seems they are really trying to hear our side of the story.

I want to give a big thanks to Aaron for doing such a great job on my site. They just did an internet search and found my site. So without the great site I would have never gotten this opportunity.

I will be back in a little while I have to go buy a new polo. I want to look professional and all mine are a little faded from work.
    Thanks
    Trey
  • 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
    blackcrystal22
    The only thing that I would say that hasn't been posted yet is regarding the amount of available reptiles in common pet stores. There is a danger to the smaller snakes when a child is capable of buying on impulse as well as there is a danger to the child if one chooses a larger snake. Though it is the responsibility of the parent, many adults have very little knowledge of these animals and what they could do at 8 or 9ft.

Also, regarding the Fox station. They are FAR from being a neutral station when it comes to political views. My Television and Productions teacher took us there numerous times last year and I have seen all the deep details of that station. She also knew the Owner of Fox and knows that he has told his reporters to side a certain way or they will be released of their services.
    I have also been to ABC Channel 11 studios (I believe they are a Chicago based station) and it was a much nicer station with much friendlier people as well as nicer technological resources. However, I could be biased because Fox was under construction when I visited.
    Just thought I'd bring a light to that matter. However, they can not change your interview, and trust me, if they DO by some chance mix something around (because it is that easy to do) there are a lot of actions you can take to get them put in a deep hole. The only problem is, is that they are capable of cutting out pieces of the interview, but they are not allowed to change the subject or idea of what you are actually saying.
  • 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
    frankykeno
    Please let's stay on topic and focus on this wonderful opportunity Trey's been given. If you have an opinion about any particular network then feel free to start a seperate thread for that topic. :)
  • 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
    GregBennett
    You go Trey! :bow:

Now that you're going to be a big TV star :teevee: an all I hope we can still be friends.

Good luck man. :gj: