Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,261

0 members and 2,261 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
  • 07-06-2008, 01:09 AM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    ASF tank lab block hopper instructions with detailed pics!!!
    I have had a few requests recently for directions on how I make ASF lab block hoppers. The following pictures are a step by step guide to making a quality ASF lab block hopper for a tank out of one cut piece of 1/2" harware cloth. The pictures are self explanitory. if you count the squares you can make an exact replica.

Recomended Tools:
    *Pliers (for pulling stainless steel zip ties, and to help with bending hardware cloth)
    *Needle nose plyers (for bending stainless steel zip ties
    *Tin Snips (look like giant scisors for cutting hardware cloth and stainless steel zip ties
    *Wire cutters (for making precise cuts on hardware cloth when needed)

Total cost per hopper?

*about 50 cents in hardware cloth
    *about $1.50 for (5) stainless steel zip ties (you can use plastic, but trust me, even if they are located behind the hopper, the ASF's will still eventually get to them, and chew them off!
    *stabbing self several times with hardware cloth while cutting and bending!

TOTAL cost per Hopper: $2.00 and some really sore fingers and hands!

Enjoy!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/101.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/103.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/102.jpg

Stainless steel wire ties!!! My home depot just started carying them. They are a little pricely, and a pain to use, but the results are priceless!!!!!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/104.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/105.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/106.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/107.jpg

I like to put a top on it like this. Notice the stubs oppisite side to the hinges? I leave those on purpose beacause this makes it very easy to tuck those stubs in, making it impossible for the ASF's to get in from the top... But also very easy for me to reopen and fill. Again I used the Stainless Steel Zip Ties for the "hinges".

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/108.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/109.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/mcavana/110.jpg

I set the hight so that the bottom of the hopper is about an inch and a half off the substrate.

ASF's LOVE to dump out food from a bowl, play with the lab blocks, then make a bed out of the bowl. This creates a huge amount of wasted food. Once I started using hoppers my food costs dropped 75%!!!!! This sized hopper holds exactly 8oz, or 1/2 pound of Mazuri 6F Rodent feed.

Just a heads up if you are new to hoppers.... At first you will think that they can't get to it through the little holes... because they are eating so little. Then later you will be simply amazed because you will realize that its NOT that they can't reach the food, It is that they just don't eat very much, and they were wasting so much more then you realized!!!

Mike
  • 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM
    blackcrystal22
    Re: ASF tank lab block hopper instructions with detailed pics!!!
    Alright I'll trust you on this one..
    But are you SURE they can get a good enough amount of food from this? My asf's don't really knock bowls over but they eat a ton of it.. :[
  • 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Yes, I am sure! :gj:

Been using them for months, and have had no issues. Trust me, they don't have any trouble at all getting a mouthfull of food with little to no effort... It just stops them from being able to "play catch" with the lab blocks!

I am not the only one that uses hoppers, that is for sure!! :cool:
  • 07-06-2008, 08:07 AM
    monk90222
    When you decide to start selling these, I'll take 4.
    Seriously!
  • 07-06-2008, 09:06 AM
    Somed00d
    I like to use a cutoff disk in an angle grinder to cut the hardware cloth..

Also its probably a good idea to wear gloves. The last attempt at a hopper left my hands looking like hamburger.

Good tutorial i think it needs a sticky.. Far better than the hopper i made lol..
  • 07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
    frankykeno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    Good tutorial i think it needs a sticky.. Far better than the hopper i made lol..

Stickied here and also copied into our DIY forum. Nice job Mike! I'll definitely be making some of these as soon as I phone Home Depot and make sure they stock those metal zip ties. :)

I'm thinking I'll use these for the lab blocks and still offer a bowl of mixed seed and cat kibble every few days just as a suppliment to the lab block hopper feed. That way I get the best of both worlds and the ASF's can have a bit of variety in their diet. Should definitely save me some on my monthly feed costs for them.
  • 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
    littleindiangirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    I like to use a cutoff disk in an angle grinder to cut the hardware cloth..

We do that too, makes it heck of a lot easier! Plus you can grind off the little left overs that would cut you.

All my rats and ASF's eat out of hoppers, they have no problems getting to the food. I know I made a thread at some point showing my way of making hoppers that did not involve any zipties. Wasn't stickied like Mike's :P

Good thread, I'd myself just make the hoppers bigger to hold more food. :gj:
  • 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM
    monk90222
    I just bought the stainless steel zip ties from Home Depot. 10 for $4.19.
  • 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Good thread, I'd myself just make the hoppers bigger to hold more food. :gj:

My origional hoppers were too big... these were made smaller on purpose. they hold exactly 1/2 pound of Mazuri 6F. Depending on a few variables, it will usually last more then a week with a 1.4 group.

In my opinion, any bigger and the food sits in the cage too long. :colbert:

Mike
  • 07-06-2008, 06:49 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    My origional hoppers were too big... these were made smaller on purpose. they hold exactly 1/2 pound of Mazuri 6F. Depending on a few variables, it will usually last more then a week with a 1.4 group.

In my opinion, any bigger and the food sits in the cage too long. :colbert:

Mike

How long do you think is too long and why?
  • 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

How long do you think is too long and why?

This isn't based on any scientific info... or any studies or anything, it's just a personal preference. The longer the lab block is in the tank the more it appears to obsorb moisture, get darker, and ultimately loose its freshness. Take a fresh piece and break it in half. then take a piece that has been in the cage for 2 weeks and break it in half. There is definately a difference!

How long is too long? any longer then reasonably necessary.

Tell me, when you have to go into the cage to fill the water bottles every three or four days anyway, why would you want a hopper that holds more then a weeks worth of food?

Mike
  • 07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Quote:

This isn't based on any scientific info... or any studies or anything, it's just a personal preference. The longer the lab block is in the tank the more it appears to obsorb moisture, get darker, and ultimately loose its freshness. Take a fresh piece and break it in half. then take a piece that has been in the cage for 2 weeks and break it in half. There is definately a difference!

How long is too long? any longer then reasonably necessary.

Tell me, when you have to go into the cage to fill the water bottles every three or four days anyway, why would you want a hopper that holds more then a weeks worth of food?

Mike

My convenience and they seem to eat it fresh new bag, or been in the hopper for two weeks. Maybe I'm just a big meany that way... :P
  • 07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

My convenience and they seem to eat it fresh new bag, or been in the hopper for two weeks. Maybe I'm just a big meany that way... :P

Thats why your ASF's don't wink at you like mine do seconds before getting fed off! :soapbx:
  • 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
    littleindiangirl
    Quote:

Thats why your ASF's don't wink at you like mine do seconds before getting fed off! :soapbx:

Mike, get a hold of yourself! Your evil maniacal laughter is interrupting my TV watching experience!
  • 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
    njdevils783
    hey where did you find the wire at that cheap cost. I went to home dept and they have the 1/2 inch hardware cloth in a role of 2 feet by 5 feet but its like 10 bucks. Just curious where I have to look to find it for .50
  • 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils783 View Post
    hey where did you find the wire at that cheap cost. I went to home dept and they have the 1/2 inch hardware cloth in a role of 2 feet by 5 feet but its like 10 bucks. Just curious where I have to look to find it for .50

cant do the exact math at the moment, but that roll you mentioned, 2'x5' for $10... you can make quite a few hoppers out of that one roll... I made 12 with the same roll and have leftovers.... .50 was a guess based on this.

Mike
  • 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
    njdevils783
    ooooooooo my bad I thought you bought a sheet of the mesh for .50. lol i walked up and down every isle today looking for that sheet, wow do i feel dumb
  • 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM
    monk90222
    I made a few of these and they work like a charm!.

Make sure you make a top to the hopper, or you'll find your ASF's all piled up inside the hopper...trust me, I speak from experience...lol
  • 07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    I made a few of these and they work like a charm!.

Make sure you make a top to the hopper, or you'll find your ASF's all piled up inside the hopper...trust me, I speak from experience...lol

LOL!!!! I should have mentioned this! I too figured this out the hard way! Got pics?
  • 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
    grammie
    do you think 1/4" hardware cloth would work? It's all I have on hand and need to make another tub.
  • 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
    TankMasterOG
    Nice DIY man im going to make some soon...
  • 12-03-2010, 12:11 AM
    Angie Simmons
    Great idea:gj:, but instead of using the metal zip ties that are expensive, try the J clips for rabbit cages. They are cheap and should do the same thing. I am going to try them.
  • 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM
    mweippert
    I used plastic zip ties when i had rats and had no trouble but with the ASF's they took it as a challenge to remove as many zip ties as they could each week. I switched to J clips and have had no issues with them.
  • 12-07-2010, 03:42 AM
    Jeremy78
    I make the same but I found a cheaper way ;). Instead of using the steel zip ties buy a small roll of 12 gauge or 16 gauge wire and just twist it off inside the hopper :)! Rolls are cheap and can do literally like a hundred hoppers!
  • 12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
    suzuki4life
    I did it cheaper than that...

Just cut your wire so you have nice little sharp barbs on your edges...

use them to piece the hopper together by bending them over.
  • 12-08-2010, 01:57 AM
    tomfromtheshade
    If you're using 10 gallon tanks, why not build your own screen top with the feed hopper and water bottle holder built right in?

I do that with my rat holding bins (90qt Sterilites) but the idea would certainly work with 10 gallon aquariums too!

Then you don't have to open the top to feed or water. You also get the added benefit of being able to use plastic water bottles again LOL.
  • 05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
    SCWood
    Is there a way to make these for wire cages?
  • 05-24-2016, 11:09 PM
    Creepy Alien
    I use similar hoppers for my wire cages. I make mine 6 squares x 6 squares (1/2" mesh) x however long I want them. I have a 6 square x 6 square (3 inch) top and bottom. The bottom is attached at 4 sides, but the top is only attached to one side (for a hinge). I just fasten a piece of copper wire in and around the non hinged side and through the bars of the cage (and twist the ends together).

If you were asking about making a modified version for a wire cage top, I might be trying that soon :) .
  • 05-24-2016, 11:10 PM
    Sirrush
    Just make the hopper without the extra wire on top, and just leave hooks maybe? Although I would suggest making some sort of lid for it.
  • 06-12-2016, 10:44 PM
    SCWood
    How do I make it so they don't stab themselves trying to eat?
  • 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM
    Creepy Alien
    If you mean from the sharp/cut wires, I grind those down with a Dremel. I run my finger over them to be sure that I got them smoothed out enough.
  • 06-12-2016, 10:57 PM
    SCWood
    I don't have a Dremel :(
  • 06-12-2016, 11:01 PM
    Creepy Alien
    You could do the same thing with a metal file. They are pretty easy to find cheap. It would be a good idea to use safety glasses and work gloves just in case (although you probably know that as you know how sharp they can be). They definitely hurt :) .
  • 06-12-2016, 11:10 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Creepy Alien View Post
    You could do the same thing with a metal file. They are pretty easy to find cheap. It would be a good idea to use safety glasses and work gloves just in case (although you probably know that as you know how sharp they can be). They definitely hurt :) .

Yes I stabbed myself a lot [emoji23] are you saying I need glasses in general or for the filing?
  • 06-12-2016, 11:25 PM
    Creepy Alien
    It hurts :/ . I meant for the filing :) . You never know where those little bits will fly. I've managed to get little bits of metal in my eye a long time ago, and it kills.

I always scrub the hoppers down really well before use btw (but I'm sure that goes without saying).
  • 06-12-2016, 11:33 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

It hurts :/ . I meant for the filing :) . You never know where those little bits will fly. I've managed to get little bits of metal in my eye a long time ago, and it kills.

I always scrub the hoppers down really well before use btw (but I'm sure that goes without saying).

Of course :) I'll be filing tomorrow and cleaning. I used plastic zip ties but I have the feeling I'll be replacing them soon. I'm using this design for all of my rodents :D
  • 06-12-2016, 11:43 PM
    Creepy Alien
    I used little metal "J Clips" to attach the sides/bottom/top, but there are many ways. The plastic zip ties should be fine. Even if the ASFs chew them, you should at least have a little warning with a quick inspection (and can then replace them before they pop open).

I use these for both my Norways and ASFs (in tanks, cages, and home made "tubs"). You will love how much food you save. I think the ASFs also like it as it gives them something else to do :) .
  • 06-14-2016, 12:15 AM
    SCWood
    Okay so I got a dremel and it helped smooth out half of it and the suddenly the spinning slowed down and it makes a really high pitched squealing sound. Any idea what that is?
  • 06-14-2016, 12:33 AM
    Creepy Alien
    I think that's what happens when the motor "brushes" get worn out. Did you run it for a long time without letting it cool down? It says somewhere in the instructions how long you should run it before letting it cool down. The same thing happened to me :/ . You can get replacements at the same store you bought it at, or you can get them on Amazon for really cheap (if it isn't a brand name Dremel, there should be some equivelent). If you know the model of your Dremel, I can find them for you, or there should be a parts list in the manual that list them. There should be two round parts on the sides of the Dremel that have a flat head slot in them. If you unscrew them, there will be a spring thing with a little carbon "brush" at the end of it. I think the replacements include the spring, so you just pop the worn one out and the new one in. They should have a little note stuck to it before you can use it so you know :/ .

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCWood View Post
    Okay so I got a dremel and it helped smooth out half of it and the suddenly the spinning slowed down and it makes a really high pitched squealing sound. Any idea what that is?

• 06-14-2016, 12:36 AM
    SCWood
    Quote:

I think that's what happens when the motor "brushes" get worn out. Did you run it for a long time without letting it cool down? It says somewhere in the instructions how long you should run it before letting it cool down. The same thing happened to me :/ . You can get replacements at the same store you bought it at, or you can get them on Amazon for really cheap (if it isn't a brand name Dremel, there should be some equivelent). If you know the model of your Dremel, I can find them for you, or there should be a parts list in the manual that list them. There should be two round parts on the sides of the Dremel that have a flat head slot in them. If you unscrew them, there will be a spring thing with a little carbon "brush" at the end of it. I think the replacements include the spring, so you just pop the worn one out and the new one in. They should have a little note stuck to it before you can use it so you know :/ .

It didn't say at all :( it's a drill master
  • 06-14-2016, 01:42 AM
    Creepy Alien
    Hmmm... I'd just take it back to the store and tell them what happened. It should have said, so that's not your fault. That may not even be what happened (although I'd guess it is).
  • 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

Hmmm... I'd just take it back to the store and tell them what happened. It should have said, so that's not your fault. That may not even be what happened (although I'd guess it is).

I did :) with the new one, I stop once it starts getting hot. I finished my hopper!
  • 06-14-2016, 09:33 PM
    Creepy Alien
    Nice :) .
  • 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM
    SCWood
  • 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
    Creepy Alien
    Looks great! Watch the plastic in the ASF cage though. I thought things were great in the one I had... until I discovered that a bunch had gotten out :/ . I have all of my ASFs in tanks with wire tops now. I'm PRETTY sure I got them all... I think that I did.... I hope that I did :) .
  • 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

Looks great! Watch the plastic in the ASF cage though. I thought things were great in the one I had... until I discovered that a bunch had gotten out :/ . I have all of my ASFs in tanks with wire tops now. I'm PRETTY sure I got them all... I think that I did.... I hope that I did :) .

OMG LOL I only have 2 but I will definitely keep tabs! I made a mini hopper for my mice :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2daaa1d096.jpg
  • 06-15-2016, 05:42 PM
    Creepy Alien
    Looks great! It looks like you got them all nice and smooth. Did the second rotary tool end up being okay for all of them? What kind of bit did you use?

Quote:

OMG LOL I only have 2 but I will definitely keep tabs! I made a mini hopper for my mice :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2daaa1d096.jpg

• 06-15-2016, 05:43 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

Looks great! It looks like you got them all nice and smooth. Did the second rotary tool end up being okay for all of them? What kind of bit did you use?

I used the really think blades :) they saw everything right off and last longer
  • 06-15-2016, 05:54 PM
    Creepy Alien
    Nice. The little "stone" grinder ones work pretty good too (lots of sparks though) :) .

Quote:

I used the really think blades :) they saw everything right off and last longer

• 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
    SCWood
    Quote:

Nice. The little "stone" grinder ones work pretty good too (lots of sparks though) :) .

I destroyed 3 on just one hopper 😂😂😂