Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,260

0 members and 2,260 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,394
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, 316 Pythons
  • 09-30-2007, 12:51 PM
    Blue Apple Herps
    What's the most you've ever spent or would spend on a single bp?
    With the prices of ball pythons ranging from $100s-$10k's, I'm curious what's the most you've ever spent or would spend on a single ball python.

I just could never justify or bring myself to spend that much money on a snake - maybe $2k tops if it was something really hot. What about you?
  • 09-30-2007, 12:55 PM
    ChicaPiton519
    Re: What's the most you've ever spent or would spend on a single bp?
    right now i cant see myself spending more than $800 for a ball python, but im just a highschool student and i dont make much money...
    if i had the money, i might spend $2000 tops on a visual morph male and like you said, it would have to be a good lookin snake... but idk about females, but i am more drawn to producing my own morphs than buying one right now...
  • 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM
    Petboy15
    I am spending nearly 2k on a big package right now. But for a single, depending how cool it is, maybe $5-10k if I had it.
  • 09-30-2007, 01:02 PM
    cueball
    cueball blew 15k on a single ball once http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...slapsmiley.gif
  • 09-30-2007, 01:02 PM
    ladywhipple02
    I think the answer depends on a lot of things. If you're a big breeder and BPs are your business, investing 10K in an animal may not be such a big thing.

If you're simply a hobbiest, 10K may be a little high (for some... for others, maybe not).

It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay to get it. And that differs person to person.

EDIT: With that said, I'd like to get to the point where I can spend 10-15K on a snake and not bat an eyelash. :)
  • 09-30-2007, 01:10 PM
    Purrrfect9
    The most that I have ever spent so far on a single animal has been $600. I can see myself spending anything under 2k though. Thank god for those payment plans!
  • 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
    2Devious
    $400 is the most I have spent so far on a single. Given I had the money, $5k would be my tops though.

Should be separate polls :D
  • 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM
    Kiramay
    Depends. :) For a normal, maybe $100 tops. But in a few years I want to get a pied, so I'm totally willing to spend up to $3k or so for that.
  • 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM
    Nagini88
    I think the most expensive morph I'd buy is a male pied, otherwise I can breed hets or what not to get the higher end morphs or wait for them to come down in price
  • 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM
    Freakie_frog
    I have spent 2500 on one but I'd say 5000.00 would be my top
  • 09-30-2007, 03:38 PM
    Sputnik
    $2,500 on a single ball....
  • 09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
    JoshJP7
    Purchased 3 snakes this year n each one was $1,000... If I had the money my max would be 5k... It seems like a lot of money but most people willing to spend that are planning on breeding it anyways so like others have said its an investment.
  • 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
    ChroniclesofYarnia
    This question really depends on the disposable income available with which to buy them. Someone making 100k a year wouldn't bat an eyelash at dropping 5k on a premium snake. I put my max at 500, but might go a little higher. I'd prefer to buy baby hets and breed them when they get big enough. The frugal part of me cringes to pay more than that.
  • 09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
    JASBALLS
    1k and a female hypo. was the most I ever spent. I wish I had that hypo back, But haveing 20 mojaves now feels just fine...
  • 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
    SatanicIntention
    Yellowbelly pair(06) was $800, my Spider pair is undetermined right now ;) , Male Hypo was $500.

I like payment plans so, in all honesty, if the snake is something I really like I will pay however much I need to.
  • 09-30-2007, 06:51 PM
    JLC
    I spent four figures on my FIRST ball python. (And so far only!) I happened to have the money available at the time, and didn't have any problems at all putting it toward my future dreams. If the timing is right, and the money is available (I'd never finance an animal) then the actual dollar signs attached to the snake mean little to me. To me, it's a matter of making dreams come true...and who puts a price tag on that??? ;)

EDIT to clarify: I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a sort of "lay-a-way" financing option for a particular animal. What I mean is that I would never use credit or any sort of loan in order to buy one. :)
  • 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JASBALLS
    1k and a female hypo. was the most I ever spent. I wish I had that hypo back, But haveing 20 mojaves now feels just fine...

Twenty mojo's? WAY too many, you should send one to me to take care of! :P
  • 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
    JASBALLS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rabernet
    Twenty mojo's? WAY too many, you should send one to me to take care of! :P

Male or female?
  • 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM
    monk90222
    The most I have spent so far on a single BP is $1400....But sky is the limit to what I would spend....If I am in a position to acquire a morph that I want, I wouldn't let price deter me....Can't put a price tag on your dreams...
  • 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Male or female?

I'm not picky! :P
  • 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
    JASBALLS
    Quote:

OK, Mojave het hypo? granite mojave? freak mojave? or just plain ole mojave?
    PM me your mailing address..
  • 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
    monk90222
    Quote:

Robin-
    Go 1.2 mojos!
  • 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
    JASBALLS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monk90222
    Robin-
    Go 1.2 mojos!

I wouldnt even notice. LOL!
  • 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

OK, Mojave het hypo? granite mojave? freak mojave? or just plain ole mojave?
    PM me your mailing address..

I'll take one of each please! :D
  • 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
    Petboy15
    Whatever she gets, I want one too! Id settle for a male mojave het hypo, and 2 female mojaves. Im not greedy :cool: Heck, I'll pay shipping! :carrot:
  • 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
    Shadowspider
    Well, if I'm willing to spend $3,000 to buy a dog then I can *at least* spend a grand or two on a killer looking snake. :D
  • 09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
    Seneschal
    Hm...So far I've only spent 200 on my male pastel, but I have every intention of spending anywhere from 1K-2k next year at Daytona (and if I can find what I want, 1000-1200 of it might be on one snake) so...I'd say I'm open to just about anything--on a payment plan that is! :P

...Well, I say that--but, y'know, I can't really buy a lavender albino (yet (i hope!)), even on a payment plan---even though if I DID have the income for it, I might consider it!

...Course, the only way I'm gonna manage to buy what I want next Daytona is to save up X amount each month in a special bank account!!
  • 09-30-2007, 10:16 PM
    Roswell
    I just bought a male Bumble Bee ('06) this past Tuesday. He cost me $3500. Finally found my male Albino ('07) today too. Picking him up tomorrow. He was $1200. I had a chance to get a female pied but i went for the Bumble Bee instead. Maybe get a male Pied next year.

I look at it as an investment as well as getting a pretty neat pet!
  • 10-01-2007, 02:02 AM
    Krazy99CL
    Wow. Thats a lot of chedderz. More than a Hundai. lol. Most Id spend is 500 if I had the money.
  • 10-01-2007, 02:03 AM
    Krazy99CL
    Good thread. Ive been meaning to know aswell. :)
  • 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
    Dr_Gonz0
    The most i have spent so far was $600 on my baby Spider BP. Although over the next year, i will be adding the following snakes to my collection, with each costing me around $1000-1500:

- Male Cinny
    - Male Pinstripe
    - Male Lesser
    - Female Mojave

As for recessives though, i will most likely buy mating pair's of hets to save cash and simply produce the Homo versions myself.

Robin
  • 10-01-2007, 07:59 AM
    Royal Tartan
    spent 2775 GBP on a year old female Bumblebee...oh how I wish I was stateside!!!
  • 10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
    Meltdown Morphs
    Most I've ever spent on a 'single' ball is around 300, I've spent 700 on a trio of hets that unfortunately went bad during shipping,and my new mark will probably be 8 or 900 once I put some money down for an axanthic from 8ball. but I'd say my cap for probably the next 5yrs is at 2.5k, but It all depends on my job, when I land a better job that cap will move up a bit.
  • 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM
    lovepig78
    most ive spent on a snake is 3k on a female mojave...
  • 10-02-2007, 02:05 AM
    ja-rod4545
    $200 is the most ive every spent
  • 10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
    PythonWallace
    I have spent $1,300 on a pair - spider.pastel, $1000 on my male albino, and I'll be sending the balance this week for a $1,050 trio with an adult mojave male. I'm done until NARBC (crap, that's in less than 2 weeks! :D ), but once I start breeding and making some money back I would spend as much as I could afford for a snake I really wanted.
  • 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
    Roswell
    Me too. The best i can afford is usually what i aim for. Sometimes thought it also depends on how badly i want that particular snake. In that case i might spend a little more than i can afford.
  • 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
    gncz73
    well my first morph i bought in 2004 cost me 2000 then a week later i spent about 7000 when i did that i said i was done but then i had a line on my next one and i dished out almost 10000 and stoped for a little till this year when i bought my latest morph for 1800
  • 10-06-2007, 07:11 AM
    Alice
    One of the key pieces of info is when you bought the snake you paid the most $$ for. I bought my first bp (a NERD lemon pastel) several years ago when pastels were around $2500 each. At that time, pins were $20,000, pieds were $15,000, and if I remember correctly, BELs were $100,000. :eek:

The most I've spent so far is $5000 but if I see a snake that I think would add to my breeding program and I can swing it . . . . well . . . . I'd probably buy it.
  • 11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
    Greenlover
    the most iv ever spent on a snake was 80 it was my sand boa...
    my Male normal ball python was only fifty hes awesome
    but id like to get into some heavy breeding in a few years ( we will see how it goes) pied is gonna be my next one how much does one of those run ( average) ? also would like an albino and so many others id say max 5 grand but... if i hook in right who knows 15? max if i cant get what ever i want for that then i dont think i want the snake :P but thats all in the long future at the time all i could do is payments 500 a payment .... untell its payd off i geuss :P
  • 12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
    bonheki
    i dont gotta bp but if i had money i would buy a black eye lunestetic blue eye lunestetic,pie blad,omg i would get alot lets just say that lol
  • 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM
    Ginevive
    I think that I posted in this thread before. I would spend only what I could afford to on a morph at any given time. I would not go into debt or pawn my engagement ring; if I would do that, I'd have one Pied and one pretty irate husband in my house! ;) I am all for striking up trades and such.. this is how I am getting my future Lemon and Pied.
  • 12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
    NightLad
    I’m in the process of saving for a major purchase in the near-ish (1-2 years) future, so I knew that I could not go totally nuts on the BP I got. Fortunately, one of the morphs that fit my budget also happened to be one of my favorites – the Mohave!

Now I have a great snake that didn’t bust my savings, and he has the potential to father another of my (unaffordable) morphs, the Blue Eyed Leucistic. Who knows what the future might hold? :D (My brother-in-law is keen on getting a BP, or several, himself!)
  • 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
    Argentra
    For me, it's not how much would I spend...it's how much CAN I spend. :)

Considering that I just spent $230 or so on a display cage for my current normal BP and my BF, Ari, will probably never forgive me for it... I don't think I'll ever be able to own another BP, let alone a morph.

However, if some wonderful twist of fate occurred and we had lots of extra money, I might see if I could work out a payment plan or skills trade or something for my favorite morph: a Bumblebee!
  • 12-22-2007, 01:51 PM
    Piper's Balls
    I purchased 1.1 Pieds earlier this year for 5,200.00. The price for me depends on what project I am most interested in and what morph I need to accomplish my goal...that being said I feel I have a pretty good base morph collection and feel I can make some important morphs from what I already have given some time.
  • 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM
    stangs13
    I am willing to pay really anything for what I want. Jas I want 1.1 normal mojos por favor!
  • 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
    Whittney32
    Right now (if I could.. college student :-) ) I would buy an Axanthic. By far my favorite morph! And I would pay what it took to get a high quality VPI.
  • 01-01-2008, 10:29 PM
    Ginevive
    Right now, my current snake budget for 2008 additions, is the $700 that I am spending this month. Once I produce some babies later this year (provided the Ball Python gods and goddesses are kind to me) that will widen the pool of what I can add to my collection come autumn '08.
    But I am selling some collectibles that are just lying around gathering dust. This is my advice to others who are not loaded, who might not have the $$ that you want for a reasonably-priced morph. Sell things on ebay; have a garage sale; Craigslist; use your paper's classifieds.
  • 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
    Brock Wagner
    My wife says I spend to much on new snakes!

Brock
  • 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
    ADEE
    I cant say I would set a limit to how much i *would* spend.. there was a time when i said there was no way i would spend more than $100 on any snake, after all its *just* a snake ((bite my tounge)) to think how much ive invested already and im waiting for my spider female to come home, i would have to say i wouldnt spend more than a grand. i can buy a horse with just a little more money than that and that just seems wrong in my eyes. so i would have to say, for now no more than a grand.. although im in no position to spend that right now on a snake, but someday :weirdface