Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,985

0 members and 1,985 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 05-29-2019, 10:27 PM
    Valyndris
    How many snakes do you have?
    Just curious on how many snakes you guys all have. I always hear how you can't just have one but for me all I need is my 1 little Crowley and he's all I need. I'm posting this in the BP section but when counting your snakes it can be any kind, not just BPs. We'll keep it to snakes for this one so no counting your reptiles with arms/legs. :P
  • 05-29-2019, 10:50 PM
    pretends2bnormal
    Re: How many snakes do you have?
    I've got 17 snakes. Various species with, 7 ball pythons, 2 rescued ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 05-29-2019, 11:01 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    I try to maintain a collection between 55 and 75, numbers always change between proven animal that I let go and new additions and holdbacks, that's my permanent numbers during breeding season add 100 to 200 animals.

I have 4 different species (that I work with) so those are not all BP.

So a relatively small breeding group that I am comfortable with maintaining by myself without getting burned out.
  • 05-29-2019, 11:01 PM
    MarkL1561
    How many snakes do you have?
    3 snakes, 3 lizards and a tortoise [emoji16] Species are sand boa, ball python, BCI boa, leachie gecko, crested gecko, bearded dragon, Greek tortoise. There’re quite a few other species I’d like to add but I’m going to wait until I’m done with grad school. Should be finished in a year or so [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05-30-2019, 05:33 AM
    Cheesenugget
    5 snakes: bp, king, Dumerils boa, Children python and woma. May plan to add a gray banded king or another colubrid in the future.
  • 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
    honey.bee.
    I just have my 1 ball python, Dex, and I definitely feel the same about how he is enough [emoji4]
    Although I can see how it would be fun to have more species if I had the time (and experience bc I think white-lipped pythons are SO cool)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
  • 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM
    fadingdaylight
    Just 2, my BP and now my BCI. I don't have any intentions of adding more at this point. In fact, I will probably sell my Exo Terra once Doc gets moved into a PVC enclosure.
  • 05-30-2019, 09:40 AM
    Craiga 01453
    I currently have 6.
    2 BPs, a Cal King, a hognose, a KSB and a Borneo STP.
  • 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM
    jmcrook
    Currently 3: 1.0 Ball Python, 1.0 Suriname BCC, and 0.1 Argentine Boa. Possibly a 4th to be added down the road pending something very exciting hatching in a friend’s incubator

• 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM
    Valyndris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Currently 3: 1.0 Ball Python, 1.0 Suriname BCC, and 0.1 Argentine Boa. Possibly a 4th to be added down the road pending something very exciting hatching in a friend’s incubator

So you have one tenth of an Argentine Boa? Just kidding, I'm sure you meant to say one. :P
  • 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    0.1 is female
    1.0 is male
    0.0.1 is unsexed

;)
  • 05-30-2019, 01:12 PM
    Toad37
    3 ball pythons. 1 bredli centralian python. 1 corn snake. 2 dwarf boas. And 1 bearded dragon.
  • 05-30-2019, 01:47 PM
    bcr229
    Between 80 and 110 depending on what has/has not sold and which females have dropped eggs or babies.
  • 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    So you have one tenth of an Argentine Boa? Just kidding, I'm sure you meant to say one. :P

0.1 means ONE female.
    1.0 means ONE male.
    0.0.1 means ONE unsexed animal.

2.1 would mean TWO males and ONE female.

We get this a lot, you're certainly not the first and won't be the last to misunderstand or question this, hahahah.
  • 05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
    67temp
    I think we are just under 40 total (7 different species) with the two carpets that came in yesterday. That isn't counting the babies that are for sale.
  • 05-30-2019, 05:34 PM
    Valyndris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    0.1 is female
    1.0 is male
    0.0.1 is unsexed

;)

I learn something almost every day here, I feel dumb for my comment now. Thanks for letting me know. :)
  • 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM
    Valyndris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    0.1 means ONE female.
    1.0 means ONE male.
    0.0.1 means ONE unsexed animal.

2.1 would mean TWO males and ONE female.

We get this a lot, you're certainly not the first and won't be the last to misunderstand or question this, hahahah.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it. lol
  • 05-30-2019, 06:01 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Quote:

I learn something almost every day here, I feel dumb for my comment now. Thanks for letting me know. :)

aww, don't feel dumb, I think we've almost all had that same question when we started out. I know I did.
    My very first thread back on kingsnake in the 90s was - is my boa a BCc or BCi? haha :)
  • 05-30-2019, 09:33 PM
    embers
    Just one! Between him, the two cats and a horse ... it's more than enough pets.
  • 05-31-2019, 01:50 PM
    Reptilius
    I have 47 snakes, of which 30 are Ball Pythons.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
  • 05-31-2019, 02:19 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Thanks for clarifying that for me, glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it. lol

Happy to help.
  • 05-31-2019, 03:13 PM
    Grub
    There seems to be a veeeeerrrry fine line between "I have two snakes" and "I have two hundred snakes"
  • 05-31-2019, 05:52 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    So most of us either have 1-2 snakes or 11 or more snakes. Very few or quite a few with a few in betweens. :)
  • 05-31-2019, 05:54 PM
    Godzilla78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    There seems to be a veeeeerrrry fine line between "I have two snakes" and "I have two hundred snakes"

Lol
    [emoji23]
  • 05-31-2019, 06:29 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    So most of us either have 1-2 snakes or 11 or more snakes. Very few or quite a few with a few in betweens. :)

I don't know that I'll hit 11, but I'm definitely not done at 6. I'm realistically thinking 8-10 will be my limit.
  • 05-31-2019, 07:25 PM
    alittleFREE
    Three currently, but I have a fourth coming once it’s had a couple more meals.

I don’t plan to have hundreds of snakes or anything crazy but with the variety of species I am interested, I can see myself getting up to around a dozen or so over the next few years.

• 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
    Kroberts10
    I’m at 1.1 orange head SSTP. And 3.5 adult and subadult balls with 0.0.6 week old hatchlings and 4 more hatchlings in the way. I plan to have room for 20 adults and *try* to call it good at that. I want to fill up 3, 7 tier racks and just rotate some of the breeders as I produce nicer quality animals. Though there are some that will always stay and not get anywhere. Those would be Miss Kitty and Randy for sure.

Kyle

• 06-02-2019, 04:32 AM
    Potatoren
    Im at....

56? Snakes.
    2 hognose, 2 Hogg island boas, once bci, one retic, the rest are balls.

Then my two leopard gecks, 3 dogs, one betta, two hamsters

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
  • 06-02-2019, 08:29 AM
    Fredthebanana
    1 ball python with plans to start breeding soon! Waiting on my rack from Cserpents as we speak:). Then going to add 7 more snakes.
  • 06-02-2019, 08:58 AM
    rlditmars
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I don't know that I'll hit 11, but I'm definitely not done at 6. I'm realistically thinking 8-10 will be my limit.

I'm realistically thinking you're in denial Craig. :) It's a slippery slope. Once you cross the line to 5 or more, then it's really just a matter of how much money and time you can afford to spend that dictates where we stop.

Ask Deborah what I told her when I started about me only having a few snakes. I believe I said something like, I'm never getting to 10. I'm currently at about 35 and expecting eggs to drop any day now.
  • 06-02-2019, 09:50 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    Ask Deborah what I told her when I started about me only having a few snakes. I believe I said something like, I'm never getting to 10. I'm currently at about 35 and expecting eggs to drop any day now.

:8: yep and over the years I have heard so many people telling me that that I don't even tell them anything ;)
  • 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I'm realistically thinking you're in denial Craig. :) It's a slippery slope. Once you cross the line to 5 or more, then it's really just a matter of how much money and time you can afford to spend that dictates where we stop.

Hahahaha, if it was SOLELY my decision my number would be significantly North of 10. I mean, there are at least 10 more species I want, never mind individual animals, hahaha.
    But, alas, I do have Katie to keep me in check. And since she was "afraid" of snakes before I came along but is now "ok" with them I don't want to push her too far.

I do make crap money too, so that's a legit limitation as well.
  • 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM
    Valyndris
    Is it just me or did the option of picking 0 just disappear from the poll? :confusd: If so I guess you have to have at least 1 snake to vote. :P
  • 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM
    Mirakuru
    Well just now, my boyfriend (who is weary of snakes, but got me mine as a gift) was watching me browse MM and he goes

"if I had a snake, I would breed them."

:O

I'd never though I'd hear him say that!
  • 06-03-2019, 01:20 PM
    ladywhipple02
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grub View Post

There does seem to be this very interesting bell curve happening here. A lot of folks that come on here are new and usually only have one snake... but most that stick around have (or have had) upwards of at least 10 or more over the years. I would imagine if your sample included everyone in the hobby, those with 1-2 animals would far, far outweigh those with 10+.
  • 06-03-2019, 08:36 PM
    Alexiel03
    I currently have
    3 Burmese pythons
    1 blood python
    19 ball pythons
    A total of 23 snakes [emoji4]
    Got 25 bp eggs in the incubator right now too lol

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
  • 06-03-2019, 08:59 PM
    timeakinga
    14 snakes :P tho 7 are new hatchlings and 4 already have the homes they will be going to when they’re ready!
  • 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM
    Valyndris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    There does seem to be this very interesting bell curve happening here. A lot of folks that come on here are new and usually only have one snake... but most that stick around have (or have had) upwards of at least 10 or more over the years. I would imagine if your sample included everyone in the hobby, those with 1-2 animals would far, far outweigh those with 10+.

I've had my one snake for 5 years, been on the forums since 2018, so I guess you can say I'm one of the new ones. I intend on only ever having that one snake as he is all I need, Crowley is just the perfect little ball python. I might be one of the rare ones that's okay with one snake. :P I guess adopting my moms parrot just ensured that I will only have that one snake as that parrot is just so much work that I don't need anymore pets. The parrot is very demanding and I love having Crowley at the end of the day to calm me down from all the hectic macaw things that happen in a day (the bird is very bitey). That being said I'll always be good with just Crowley as my only snake but once he's gone I might get another one if it doesn't hurt too much, I'm glad I don't have to think of that soon as he is only 5 years old. :)
  • 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM
    ladywhipple02
    Quote:

I've had my one snake for 5 years, been on the forums since 2018, so I guess you can say I'm one of the new ones. I intend on only ever having that one snake as he is all I need, Crowley is just the perfect little ball python. I might be one of the rare ones that's okay with one snake. :P I guess adopting my moms parrot just ensured that I will only have that one snake as that parrot is just so much work that I don't need anymore pets. The parrot is very demanding and I love having Crowley at the end of the day to calm me down from all the hectic macaw things that happen in a day (the bird is very bitey). That being said I'll always be good with just Crowley as my only snake but once he's gone I might get another one if it doesn't hurt too much, I'm glad I don't have to think of that soon as he is only 5 years old. :)

Around 10 years ago, I had 12: 8 ball pythons, a bull snake, 2 RTBs, and a milk snake... As well as a beardie, three leopard geckos, 6 crested geckos, and a gargoyle gecko. It was a lot to take care of, but I was young, newly single, and making crazy good money for my age lol. Nowadays, I'm content with my 1 BP, 1 RTB, 1 beardie, and 1 leopard gecko - too much time working on a career and working on a family and working on a marriage and working on a new house lol
  • 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM
    Curruptjedi
    I used to think everyone was crazy with the "can't just have one" stuff( been silently watching for years now. And just finally joined) and have been content with our two normal for about 8 years. Until here recently, now I'm building a rack for the 12 snakes we are adding to work towards a couple projects. Funny how things can change

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • 06-04-2019, 09:44 PM
    Werewolves
    I only have two right now, but it'll probably become four in September. I look forward to the day when I own a house and can have a snake room for many more...

I recently saw a joke on Facebook about that curve, something like "Notice how you never see anyone with three snakes? You get one or two and then jump straight to eighteen." Obviously not true in every case, but it's funny that I came over here and saw the same observation pop up again.
  • 06-05-2019, 03:51 PM
    Sophieg
    I have 1 Male, 9mth Banana Ball python and 1 female, year old albino corn!

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
  • 06-07-2019, 12:32 AM
    octo_owl
    Currently 2 - male and female ball pythons named Oslo and Opal.

• 06-09-2019, 07:38 AM
    Zincubus
    7 currently... down from 24. ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM
    jc1378
    I currently have 28 Ball Pythons (7 just hatched out), 1 BCI Boa, 1 Corn Snake and 4 Bearded Dragons. I got into bp’s about 2 years ago with 1 normal and I wanted some “color” so I got my first morph (Pastave) and it escalated very fast from there lol.

• 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM
    viper69
    Not enough!!!
  • 06-29-2019, 03:04 PM
    sur3fir3
    I have 2 now. A t- blood python, and a visual kahl het anery. Here are photoshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27a3844d93.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8ec6316c30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • 07-11-2019, 10:00 PM
    Sirus Uno
    11 BP's and a children's Python
    I have 12 total. 11 BP's and a children's python. Only 2 of my females are breeding size. One is gravid, I hope, and the other is in early building follicle stage. I plan on breeding more in the future but definitely starting slow to get the understanding first.
    This pairing is pastel + harlequin. Next season will be shooting for BluELs and OD pied.
  • 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
    maculataJones
    I have 14 and dont breed yet, I'm currently waiting on the following I'm paying off:

0.1 highway
    1.0 hypo butter
    1.0 clown pinstripe
    0.1. Ivory
    1.0 sterling kingpin
    0.1 specter

And this one below all paid off I should have in two weeks

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...sjoasfbdn.jpeg
  • 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM
    Burticus
    1.0 BP here. That will almost definitely increase, but trying to keep learning and not rush it!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk