» Site Navigation
1 members and 318 guests
Most users ever online was 54,199, 06-29-2026 at 02:43 AM.
» Today's Birthdays
» Stats
Members: 76,141
Threads: 249,278
Posts: 2,573,138
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
|
-
Do all albinos fade?
So I have a bright, pretty little albino baby and I hope he stays somewhat bright as he grows. But I've seen pictures of some very faded adult bp's and I'm wondering if all albinos fade with age or if it just depends on the specific snakes genes?
-
My girl has definitely faded. She used to have almost an orange color and now she has lost most if not all of it. I'll try to get a comparison picture.
-
They tend to fade and the yellow often tends to bleed in the white, hatchlings and adults are always very different.
There are however options combos that will actually not fade or where the yellow will not bleed into the white (Black Pastel Albino)
Or you can get a lavender albino instead of a regular albino.
-
http://ball-pythons.net/forums/webki...103/image.tiff
This is about 2 years after my profile pic. In the profile pick she is probably 150 grams at most and now she'd around 1000 grams
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysnek
So I have a bright, pretty little albino baby and I hope he stays somewhat bright as he grows. But I've seen pictures of some very faded adult bp's and I'm wondering if all albinos fade with age or if it just depends on the specific snakes genes?
My HC albino pair are as nice if not better than they were when I bought them years ago .
Maybe the secret is to pay a little extra for High Contrast or HC Albinos ??
There's also some new albinos which look amazing . Are they called Lavender Albinos or Pastel Albinos or something ??
-
It depends on their genes, but all albinos fade a little with age (but only an amount relative to how they were before). Hatchlings are always going to look brighter/prettier. So if you start out with a very bright and higher contrast hatchling, they won't become extremely faded or anything. But if you start out with a decent looking but not as high contrast hatchling, they'll become quite faded as adults.
Even Cake is fading a little. Please don't fade too much. LOL
-
welp, here's the baby
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...psyixg4bih.jpg
do you think he'll end up fading significantly? Breeder said he was about two months old and he's 80 grams.
thank you for all the comments! :) it's interesting to learn about
-
I don't know if it's just the lighting, but (from what I understand so far about albinos LOL) his back half with the lighter and wider markings will probably appear the most faded on him and bleed a little into the white as an adult.
Also, 2 months old and 80 grams is pretty small!
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysnek
I'm no expert but I do have a pair of HC Albinos as I said and I DON'T see yours fading very much at all . It's a good strong colour .
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshepherd
I don't know if it's just the lighting, but (from what I understand so far about albinos LOL) his back half with the lighter and wider markings will probably appear the most faded on him and bleed a little into the white as an adult.
Also, 2 months old and 80 grams is pretty small!
I think that's probably the lighting, as it was shot with an iphone camera in a crappily lit room lol. But thank you, I guess time will tell.
oh and I know he's definitely still a baby! just thought that information might be helpful :)
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus
Maybe the secret is to pay a little extra for High Contrast or HC Albinos ??
Agreed. Although IMHO any albino labelled "high contrast" should be viewed in much the same way as possible hets are viewed... meaning there's no guarantee you'll get what you hoped for. Meanwhile, the exact opposite also holds true.
I bred a particularly faded albino to a very pretty, vibrantly colored het albino, and four years later her albino offspring are just as bright and vibrant as the day they hatched. The albino gene seems to be independent of the polygenetic "high contrast" or "high red" genes so it's just a matter of selective breeding to combine those traits into the same animal. The high contrast can easily come from the other (normal-looking) parent and really surprise you with the results. I guess it just goes to show that selecting quality hets is just as important as selecting quality visuals.
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
-
Albino Black Pastel vs. Albino Cinnamon vs. Albino Mojave
which would fade more?
i plan on picking up one for a Red Eye Lucy project, but would like the snake breeder to remain vibrant and pretty. would the co-dom gene of one of the above Albinos be more susceptible to fading?
-
Re: Do all albinos fade?
Here is my girl sitting at 786 grams empty
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01...ce57fee9dc.jpg
Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
|