Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,987

0 members and 1,987 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,762
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
  • 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
    anneplath
    Some Snake News out of Southern California
    Hey guys, haven't been on much recently but felt the need to bring this up. There was a python hoarder in Santa Ana, California arrested this morning for animal cruelty. Several hundred snakes and they all look like balls. Most of them were dead, from what the news outlets say. This story is just breaking and getting updated as I type this, I'll link the article I found. Various news outlets have cross posted to twitter and from what I can see, the non herpers are freaking out about it.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...242593641.html
    https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/428554844152946688
  • 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
    bcr229
    :( :( :(
  • 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
    anneplath
    Re: Some Snake News out of Southern California
    http://ktla.com/2014/01/29/police-di...-in-santa-ana/

A link to the channel I actually saw the story first on. It's got a video on it from this morning's broadcast. I'm very concerned for how this will effect the general public's perception of us here in SoCal and nationwide.

They interviewed an animal control agent who went about how the snake industry is flooded with breeders and you can't sell them for more than $200. Just non-herpers being themselves, I suppose.
  • 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM
    fishdip
    He was not hoarding them he was simply holding on to them tell the market improved and he was able to sell them for more money :rofl:
  • 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
    Saber402
    Horrible situation. This isn't too far away from me. It will be interesting to see how this is handled by the media. Let's hope it doesn't get twisted to put a bad light on the Herp community. Yea, right!
  • 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
    NH93
    I just really hope people don't start blaming it on the animals themselves. As in, no more laws against snakes and herps!!
    I am tired of seeing stories about failed or neglectful pet owners, but having the negetive backlash against the innocent pets themselves. I will be surprised if they decide to ban ball pythons or the like because someone was hoarding them.

People hoard dogs and cats and other animals too, and they don't get banned...

It's the owners that cause the problems and should suffer the consequences (in my opinion).
  • 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
    sorraia
    That's just awful. :(
    I'm glad he's being arrested on charges of animal cruelty. I hope the majority of people will look at it as an animal cruelty case, and not as a "snake problem" case. Although a lot of animals are banned in California, being a more liberal state does mean a little more tolerance for those animals that are legal (and even those that aren't legal but are still kept here). At least that's been my experience! Doesn't mean everyone likes them, of course.

Now I'm waiting to hear from my family members who live out there... They already don't like my snakes. :rolleyes:
  • 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anneplath View Post
    They interviewed an animal control agent who went about how the snake industry is flooded with breeders and you can't sell them for more than $200.

Which might convince people thinking about getting into snake breeding as a get-rich-quick scheme to look elsewhere.
  • 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
    Kat_Dog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    Now I'm waiting to hear from my family members who live out there... They already don't like my snakes. :rolleyes:

Same here... after that Canada incident every one kept asking my mom "What are you going to do with Kat's snakes now that they're dangerous?" -_-

My grandpa, who is our land lord, doesn't like my snakes and now he'll probably really freak out about them ._.
    Thank goodness I've converted my grandma to not being so scared, so hopefully it won't be too bad of a freak-out.
  • 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
    CrystalRose
    California Python Breeder Arrested After 100s of Dead Pythons Found in Home
  • 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM
    Archimedes
    Re: California Python Breeder Arrested After 100s of Dead Pythons Found in Home
    This is very upsetting. These are the kinds of stories that make our families worry when they hear that the hobbyist in their family is using racks/getting more than just one snake.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
  • 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
    Mephibosheth1
    Why does our hobby seem to attract so many nut-cases?? It's bad for our image!!:rage::rage:
  • 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
    sho220
    Looks like he may be a member here http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/brow...imageuser=7237

From Bill Buchmans profile page...
    My Collection:WAY TOO MANY!!! ALL BALL PYTHONS!!!

Yeah...ya think?
  • 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM
    MonkeyShuttle
    Im sure this is hyped up a lot. He may have had a few dead and some as the report say's BONES so starving snakes which is horrible but the majority of the queues seem to be coming from people who cry abuse because you keep a snake in a rack system. Like no
    actual number of dead snakes just actual how many he had total... Hmmm. And the one quote "the majority of them are GOING to be dead". Come on really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    Im sure this is hyped up a lot. He may have had a few dead and some as the report say's BONES so starving snakes which is horrible but the majority of the queues seem to be coming from people who cry abuse because you keep a snake in a rack system. Like no
    actual number of dead snakes just actual how many he had total... Hmmm. And the one quote "the majority of them are GOING to be dead". Come on really.

Did you not flip through the photo gallery??? Or read the comments from neighbors???
  • 01-29-2014, 10:53 PM
    DNACurtusK
    That is just TERRIBLE. If I'm not mistaken.....is this the High End Herps Bill Buchman?? I read a long BOI thread on him before on Fauna....if this is the same guy....people thought he was dead? Not sure if this is the same person.
  • 01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
    MonkeyShuttle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Did you not flip through the photo gallery??? Or read the comments from neighbors???

Belay my last!!!!!

• 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    Belay my last!!!!!

From what I've read, it seems he just got in over his head, combined with the fact that he lost his Mom a year or two ago...that can have a crushing effect on some folks...sad situation all around...for the snakes and Bill...
  • 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
    bcr229
  • 01-29-2014, 11:09 PM
    OctagonGecko729
    By his thanked posts here and the replies on the article it looks like this guy was liked by both our community and his community in SoCal. Last activity here was in December 2012. Tends to be how stuff like this happens, people fall out of contact and then you see them on some strange/tragic news story. I always find it strange how no one was around to intervene before things get this bad. Did the guy have no one he could go to for support? Really sucks all around.
  • 01-29-2014, 11:10 PM
    MonkeyShuttle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    From what I've read, it seems he just got in over his head, combined with the fact that he lost his Mom a year or two ago...that can have a crushing effect on some folks...sad situation all around...for the snakes and Bill...

Totally agree

• 01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
    Shann
    From the comments on many of the articles (once you get past all the stupid comments posted by people who think all snake keepers are "sick") it seems like he was very much loved and respected previously. I see lots of posts from families of his former students saying that he was a really great teacher, and introduced many kids to animals. This whole thing makes me very sad. I'm also very worried about what impact this could have, with exotic animals being such a hot topic at the moment.
  • 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
    OhhWatALoser
    Ugh, he had so many cool dinker projects, some proved out, napalm, cajun, reaper. I was excited to see some of the other odd ball stuff prove out.

story makes it sound like a case of hoarding triggered by his mother's death, unfortunate.
  • 01-29-2014, 11:18 PM
    bcr229
    Not to excuse what this guy did, but grief can really mess you up mentally. I came close to really screwing up my life and family a few years back after my mom passed away. I didn't realize how badly I was affected. Fortunately my husband and some close friends encouraged me to get help before my life became a complete mess. It looks like this guy lived alone, so without support from others he probably just fell apart. Damned shame the snakes had to suffer also.
  • 01-29-2014, 11:19 PM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    story makes it sound like a case of hoarding triggered by his mother's death, unfortunate.

That's the impression I get as well...
  • 01-29-2014, 11:49 PM
    blackfish707
    Very sad. I agree, it does sound like he was a great member of the community just overwhelmed/overcome by the passing of his mother.
  • 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM
    gopherhockey03
    Ugh... makes me sick...
  • 01-30-2014, 01:12 AM
    DooLittle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Not to excuse what this guy did, but grief can really mess you up mentally. I came close to really screwing up my life and family a few years back after my mom passed away. I didn't realize how badly I was affected. Fortunately my husband and some close friends encouraged me to get help before my life became a complete mess. It looks like this guy lived alone, so without support from others he probably just fell apart. Damned shame the snakes had to suffer also.

This ^ grief can be horrible. Especially without any support around you. Sad story all the way around. And it paints a terrible picture to the ignorant.
  • 01-30-2014, 02:20 AM
    Mr. Misha
    This is really sad... I'm glad they're prosecuting this guy on criminal charges. It's crazy to me how people loose control.

I live 45 minutes from Santa Ana so maybe I'll see if I'd be able to adopt one...

Sent using Tapatalk
  • 01-30-2014, 02:31 AM
    CrystalRose
    USARK just posted on facebook about it. They said there are 186 that are alive. Over 200 dead. The live ones are being taken care of by the The Southern California Herpetology Association and Rescue. They also posted the donation page for the rescue for people to donate to the care of the remaining snakes. Very very sad situation.
  • 01-30-2014, 02:50 AM
    kylearmbar
    That's terrible, clearly the man became severely depressed and stopped caring for himself and the animals, ppl need to learn to seek help
  • 01-30-2014, 03:09 AM
    sho220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kylearmbar View Post
    ppl need to learn to seek help

For some, the hardest thing in the world is to ask for help...
  • 01-30-2014, 03:55 AM
    Powerline Reptiles
    Santa Ana Hoarder Incident : DONATE to the people that are saving the survivors
    Just what the title says. For those of you that don't read the news or just haven't heard, a "breeder" in Santa Ana, California went pretty much totally crazy and left his hundreds and hundreds of animals to die. The stench of rotting mice and snake alerted the neighbors and called the cops. Hundreds were eventually found dead and the 186 survivors, in terrible shape, were turned over to a rescue group nearby. Obviously the snakes require serious medical attention and the group is trying to raise money to fund their recovery. Donate to these wonderful people saving the animals we love.

A link to the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/us/cal...html?hpt=hp_t2

A link to DONATE to these beautiful, loving people:

http://www.gofundme.com/6k852w

Breaks my heart. I really can't not tear up. :(
  • 01-30-2014, 04:04 AM
    Archimedes
    Asking for help is SO hard. I am so sorry his animals had to suffer for his grief and pain, and from what I hear they are pressing charges, so I imagine part of his penance will be a psych eval and proper treatment to help him cope with his immense loss. Hoarding is just one symptom of a much larger issue.

• 01-30-2014, 04:07 AM
    Archimedes
    Re: Santa Ana Hoarder Incident : DONATE to the people that are saving the survivors
    Thank you for the donate link, I posted it on my social media as well.

• 01-30-2014, 04:09 AM
    Powerline Reptiles
    Re: Santa Ana Hoarder Incident : DONATE to the people that are saving the survivors
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Thank you for the donate link, I posted it on my social media as well.

Thank you so much! I posted on my Facebook too! I'm hoping our community can reach out and help these people.
  • 01-30-2014, 04:15 AM
    Marrissa
    Reading those comments has me fired up. :mad: I will be donating tomorrow after I get a check deposited.
  • 01-30-2014, 06:35 AM
    Mr. Misha
    Any information on how to get involved or volunteer? I live about 45 minutes away and would like to help out any way I can.

Sent using Tapatalk
  • 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM
    MarkS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    This is really sad... I'm glad they're prosecuting this guy on criminal charges. It's crazy to me how people loose control.

Well, I'm NOT glad that their pressing charges. This guy was a member of this forum, a rather well liked and respected member who suffered a recent tragedy. While I'm not a psychologist, I do deal with severe depression every day and this sounds like a pretty classic case to me.

It's a very sad story all around, it's very sad that the animals were suffering and dying, but remember that in the middle of all of this there is also a human being who is suffering as well.
  • 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM
    NH93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Well, I'm NOT glad that their pressing charges. This guy was a member of this forum, a rather well liked and respected member who suffered a recent tragedy. While I'm not a psychologist, I do deal with severe depression every day and this sounds like a pretty classic case to me.

It's a very sad story all around, it's very sad that the animals were suffering and dying, but remember that in the middle of all of this there is also a human being who is suffering as well.

I had no idea. (I also didn't read the news story, so that's my own fault).
    I guess it completely depends on the situation...
    When mental illness is involved, it can be a whole other thing. The most important thing here, to me anyways, is that the animals get taken care of (along with the person who had them) and that the public be aware. As in, of THE TRUTH. But, when the hell does that ever happen with the media.
  • 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM
    Andys-Python
    Quote:

Who knows what makes people do the heinous things they do. Did this guy suffer some kind of emotional trauma yet to be reviled? If so, what could have happened that would cause this guy to make these snakes suffer like he did? Snakes don’t just die over night from neglect. It takes MONTHS AND MONTHS of neglect. I’ve known snakes to go without eating for over a year! This equates to MONTHS AND MONTHS of suffering for these snakes!!

Hopefully, this guy will get some help now. (I doubt it though)

Too bad, the same can't be said for the snakes that had to suffer for such a long time before they died. Hopefully the remaining snakes will find good homes and not be put down.

I’m sorry, but I find it hard to have compassion for someone that can allow something like this to happen. A simple phone call could/would have prevented this from happening. Even a simple post here on the forum.

I put people like this right up there with child molesters. These are people that have no regard for the sanctity of life. Depression or no depression. These snakes could have, just as easily, been children.

This guy may have been a respected member of this society, but I ask you..… How respected is he now?? Many a child molesters and murderers have been considered respected members of the community as well.

This guy should never be allowed to own another living animal as long as he lives. He will get no jail time. Just as those that neglect other animals get a slap on the hand – so will he.
  • 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
    dgring
    horrible
  • 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
    bcr229
    You had to read through multiple news articles to piece the story together. It looks like he went downhill after his mom passed away a few years ago, and he didn't have any close friends/family who knew there was a problem until it was too late. Whether his grief caused his depression or exacerbated a pre-existing problem he had, who knows.
  • 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM
    Mr. Misha
    Instead of arguing/figuring out what happened, please donate whatever you can so they can try and save these animals. It already happened so lets move on.

Here's the donation link: http://www.gofundme.com/6k852w

Also, if you're in South California, they're accepting donations of any supplies you can give. Email them directly: socalherpassn@gmail.com

Sent using Tapatalk
  • 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
    MarkS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andys-Python View Post
    It takes MONTHS AND MONTHS of neglect. I’ve known snakes to go without eating for over a year! This equates to MONTHS AND MONTHS of suffering for these snakes!!

No it doesn't take MONTH'S AND MONTH'S. With high heat and no water it can take less then a month

Quote:

I put people like this right up there with child molesters. These are people that have no regard for the sanctity of life. Depression or no depression. These snakes could have, just as easily, been children.
    This is a completely ridiculous assumption and shows just how little you know. Your further diatribe sounds like the rantings of a petulant child.
  • 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
    artgecko
    I just hope this doesn't lead to more nonsensical laws being passed. I've read so many FB comments about this story already (from non-herpers) calling for "more inspections" and "stricter licensing" on people keeping snakes... They would not do the same if it was a case of a hoarder with dogs / cats. There's just too little knowledge about how snakes are properly kept and that they have similar status to dogs and cats as pets, in the general population.

I agree that this guy has issues, but I hope that he does have to go through consequences for his actions. If he does have to do jail time, maybe they can get a psychiatrist to work with him. However, mental issues are not an excuse for what he did. In our society there's too much of a tendency to never take responsibility for one's actions... i.e. it was because I had a messed up childhood, or I was bullied, or... You fill in the blank. Yes, he obviously was depressed, but as others have said, that would not excuse his actions if he had murdered a person, stolen property, molested a child, etc. This should be treated like any other crime.

I hope the remaining snakes are allowed to be adopted out to good homes and not euthanized, as others have said. It's great that the local reptile club is taking care of them, otherwise, I'm sure animal control would have killed all of them.
  • 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
    artgecko
    Thanks for posting this. So often you hear of tragedies and are not able to do anything, it's nice to be able to donate. Misha- I think the local reptile club is handling it, you could contact them to find out what you could do.
  • 01-30-2014, 01:49 PM
    Martin_Jr
    Bastards

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
  • 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM
    MrLang
    Can we donate by requesting to adopt the snakes?
  • 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
    OctagonGecko729
    Also, it wouldnt take long for all kinds of bacterial infections to set in if he stopped cleaning cages. Animals laying in their own filth, no water changes, no humidity regulation, and no food can certainly kill the animals within weeks instead of months. Some animals survived and the ones that were dead did not appear to be from starvation in the video i saw, they were skinny but no where near what i typically see in your average crappy pet store.