» Site Navigation
3 members and 1,617 guests
Most users ever online was 54,199, 06-29-2026 at 02:43 AM.
» Today's Birthdays
» Stats
Members: 76,135
Threads: 249,275
Posts: 2,573,134
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
|
-
New male!
Bought this little guy from my local pet store. He is about 3-4 months old.
I know he is dumbo but what color is he? He looks almost steely blueish silver in person!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/hemysena.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/egabunun.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/hubymuza.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/sapyqyse.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Re: New male!
I love a dumbo! :D
He appears to be "American Blue". There is perhaps a different name for it, but that's what I've always heard it called. The darker, more common blue is referred to as "Russian Blue". I haven't seen an American Blue in a long time! He's adorable. :D!
-
Are Russian blue and American blue compatible or no?
I have a blue hooded female who must be the Russian blue
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/jevu7e5u.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
When you produce Dumbo Rex babies, I will have to grab a pair of females from ya. Can't resist dumbos!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Looks like a Russian Silver to me. :) I had a Female Dumbo that looked EXACTLY like your guy. She was the sweetest thing.
-
Hmm, that hooded girl looks like a mink/agouti, as she has a ticked coat. Agouti is compatable with everything, it just has a variation of similar hue hairs mixed together. A plain agouti is what the coat of wild rats look like.
-
Russian silver? Is that referring to the same "silver" in silver fawn? Sorry I'm still very new to rats!
Yes the blue hooded female does have several different shades of blue/grey. So she could be agouti?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Russian Silver I believe is where you have a really light colored gray silvery looking rat with a where the base of the rat's hair is white and the tips are silvery.
Look on this site for info. :) http://www.afrma.org/rmindex.htm
Here for genetics http://www.afrma.org/rmindex.htm#breedcolor
-
Re: New male!
http://www.camarattery.com/colorsmarkings.htm
http://www.topirats.com/ratcolorsmarkings.htm
Here are a couple of ratteries that shows the different colors. Russian Silver and American Blue are on there. I've never heard of Russian Silver - might be one of the more rare or less worked with colors. I still say he's an American Blue. I have no clue about genetics, though. I never got into rats enough to learn, unfortunately.
-
Just got this female from the same place!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/sa8u7ega.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/enu8ehem.jpg
I believe she is what you call variegrated? She is dumbo as well!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Aw he is so cute! I had a dumbo rat named Denis who I rescued (he was 3 then) and was the love of my life for 3 more years... when i had to get him put down my vet said he was the oldest rat she had ever seen. He was such a sweety.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
-
Looks American Blue to me on my computer screen at least. Most of my rats are blues.
American and Russian blues are not compatible.
I agree that the hooded looks agouti-ish.
And the last female is variegrated.
-
Thanks guys for your input! Those links were very helpful too!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
No problem! Good luck in your breeding endeavour, I'd love to breed Rats but they are illegal to keep here unless you have a permit. :(
-
I have a female that looks just like him. This is the most recent picture I have of her currently. I call her an American Blue as well, Russian blue is much darker.
http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...umbo_eared.jpg
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsash
She looks like a silver
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
-
How come any non albino rats i find adorable but the albino ones give me the freakin creeps lol? Anyways i have no idea what that is but its cute! The female you got is nice too!
-
The blue rat looks like an American blue to me, we've produced many hundreds of them.
This is a blue agouti...
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/100_1533.jpg
American blue...
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/PICT9115.jpg
-
He's cute as a button!
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
|