Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,668

2 members and 2,666 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,770
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
  • 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list
    Quote:

On Friday, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Director Dan Ashe is expected to announce new restrictions on the popular boa constrictor and four other large exotic constrictor snakes, making it illegal to import or sell them across state lines. The move comes three years after federal officials enacted the same ban on the Burmese, the voracious, fast-growing snake that got loose in South Florida and quickly gobbled its way across the Everglades.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e12723206.html

:rage:
  • 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM
    bcr229
    Figures they'd get the word before the official announcement tomorrow.

Damn.
  • 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
    bigt0006
    Re: More snakes to join Burmese python on restricted list
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
  • 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM
    artgecko
    So..... Now I'll be committing a felony if we ever move out of state and I want to take my BCA and BCI with me..... and I'll never be able to get a cool boa from an out of state breeder (so much for you junglow and tarahumara dreams). :/

This is outrageous... Just wait... Ball pythons will be next on the list.
  • 03-05-2015, 10:38 PM
    reptileexperts
    I literally don't want to live in America anymore if this holds true. What have we become. A nation where money talks from lobbyist and scientific knowledge falls on deaf ears which were paid to be such?
  • 03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
    anicatgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    I literally don't want to live in America anymore if this holds true. What have we become. A nation where money talks from lobbyist and scientific knowledge falls on deaf ears which were paid to be such?

Yup. My thoughts. Anyone living in a country happily accepting new herp loving residents?
  • 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM
    Daigga
    This is terrible and devastating news to the hobby... Isn't there anything we can do about this? Does this have to be voted on, or is this just going straight through?

So many people are about to get a huge chunk taken out of their livelihoods, this is just beyond awful...
  • 03-05-2015, 11:53 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    This is terrible and devastating news to the hobby... Isn't there anything we can do about this? Does this have to be voted on, or is this just going straight through?

So many people are about to get a huge chunk taken out of their livelihoods, this is just beyond awful...

This is not something new that popped out of no where.

Back in 2012 9 species were originally proposed in the "Constrictor Rule", only 4 were listed but the rest were being "reviewed", during that time USARK was actively trying to fight this, the last deadline for comments was in July last year.
  • 03-06-2015, 12:23 AM
    nightrainfalls
    Does any one else remember
    what it was like to live in a free country? I do and the memory haunts me. When I was young I could go sledding at the hill behind my small towns Village Hall. Now it is illegal. $200.00 fine for a first offense. I used to be able to own any gun I wanted. I used to be able to own any snake I wanted. I used to be able to make decisions about my health care. It seems that ever since the 1990's, freedom has been disappearing in this country.

I am so tired of saying goodbye to my freedom one right at a time.

David
  • 03-06-2015, 02:07 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daigga View Post

This is a chance to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's) which hold the weight of law. Congress gave each individual agency the authority to create its own regulations, which hold the weight of law.

Supporting USARK in its lawsuit is one way you can help, as they are going after the prohibition on interstate transport. The suit is ongoing in the federal court system, and it will be neither cheap nor fast to litigate.
  • 03-06-2015, 02:32 AM
    Daniel.michelle
    Remember when it was up to the individual states? I guess if a snake does too much damage in the everglades, it can do just as much damage in say, frozen Michigan. Obviously that cannot happen, but sadly congress doesn't know that, or care... they would rather ban something (for the whole country, when at most there are problems in only 1 or 2 states.) that they don't know about or understand rather than actually come up with a sollution...

Lol let's get together and ban the most destructive invasive species in the world, humans! Jkjk, but seriously.
  • 03-06-2015, 03:34 AM
    A_Kap
    Retics banned?
    Has anyone else heard about this? More snakes including the retic and boa constrictor may be added to the ban that currently prohibits the interstate sale of anacondas and burmese/african rock pythons. Do you guys think this will happen? I believe that these bans are a complete over reaction. The invasive reptile issue is a Florida problem. So why destroy so many businesses by impacting the entire nation? I live in PA where temps during winter may frequently reach below 0. There is NO WAY a scenario similar to Florida's could ever happen here! So what's the point!!? Now many people who live in PA can't get burms or condas online and those who own them can't bring them out of state. Think of all the educational programs for schools or other events which involve large constrictors that travel across America. Then there are some supporters of the ban who are using the freak occurrences of large snakes harming and even killing people as an argument. While these are tragedies in their own right- they are still like I said; freak occurences. Dogs kill more people annually but why don't we here about that? Because it doesn't make as good of a story. It doesn't have that shock factor. Another reason to support the ban is that the snakes pose as dangerous invasive species that threaten native wildlife. While this is true, many other common household pets like cats and ferrets are responsible for wiping out many local wildlife populations in different areas. So I ask you, what is your opinion on the new ban? I think that it may happen but certain species like the boa constrictor won't be included simply due to its popularity as a pet and in chain pet stores like petco. And if boas and retics are gone, who's next? Today its retics and boas, tommorow its leopard geckos and anoles. There may be dark days ahead
  • 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

So I ask you, what is your opinion on the new ban? I think that it may happen but certain species like the boa constrictor won't be included simply due to its popularity as a pet and in chain pet stores like petco. And if boas and retics are gone, who's next? Today its retics and boas, tommorow its leopard geckos and anoles. There may be dark days ahead
    it's happening, as I previously posted those species were originally part of the "constrictor rule" but only 4 species remained listed out of 9 while the rest were being evaluated.

What's next? Everything, many do not remember but years ago, a bill HR669 was proposed to ban ALL exotics pets, of course at the time everyone fought this from snake owners to bird owners, ferret owners and other exotic animal owners, the bill was defeated so instead of targeting a wide group the government decided to divide and conquer which sadly they did going after large constrictors.

People need to keep in mind that ASPCA and PETA who are lobbyng for this believe that no animals should be owned as a pet, how do you accomplish that? By targeting what most people will not care about and slowly move own to the next animal.

What's next? A lawsuit and a lawsuit against the government is not gonna be easy but this is the only chance we have, so join, donate to USARK and tell others about USARK and tell them to join as well.
  • 03-06-2015, 12:47 PM
    jclaiborne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    Remember when it was up to the individual states? I guess if a snake does too much damage in the everglades, it can do just as much damage in say, frozen Michigan. Obviously that cannot happen, but sadly congress doesn't know that, or care... they would rather ban something (for the whole country, when at most there are problems in only 1 or 2 states.) that they don't know about or understand rather than actually come up with a sollution...

Lol let's get together and ban the most destructive invasive species in the world, humans! Jkjk, but seriously.

Agreed, before long they will start targeting the large lizards too! That being said I won't be willing to give up my pets so if I ever move I guess that makes me a criminal. Oh well.
  • 03-06-2015, 01:19 PM
    Yamitaifu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    So..... Now I'll be committing a felony if we ever move out of state and I want to take my BCA and BCI with me..... and I'll never be able to get a cool boa from an out of state breeder (so much for you junglow and tarahumara dreams). :/

This is outrageous... Just wait... Ball pythons will be next on the list.

by boa they mean Boa constrictor constrictor. I'm no expert in boas by any means, but i believe that BCA ad BCI are fine as long as they arent the species Boa constrictor constrictor
  • 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM
    ajmreptiles
    • B. c. imperator - Colombian boa, Central American boa, Common boa (Note: These are often called "Red-tailed boas" but they do not get as large or come from the same countries as B. c. constrictor. B. c. imperator are by far the most common boas kept as pets. Nearly all morph boas are B. c. imperator.)
    • B.c. amarali - Short-tailed boa
    • B. c. constrictor - Red-tailed boa
    • B. c. longicauda - Long-tailed boa
    • B. c. nebulosus or nebulosa - Clouded boa
    • B. c. occidentalis - Argentine boa
    • B. c. orophias -St. Lucian boa
    • B. c. ortonii - Orton's boa
    • B. c. sabogae - Pearl Island boa, Panamanian Island boa

They will all be included with the BCC
  • 03-06-2015, 01:57 PM
    Daniel.michelle
    You just gotta love that 1% of people who own big snakes who saw this cute little $20 snake more monitor lizard get is and in a few hours say "now what?" and release it. what I personally think should happen is: if you are in a state where invasives are an issue, you have to get a 5-10 year permit to keep them and go through a small class (to weed out the idiot keepers) then you are allowed to keep and sell whatever you want. And keep the rest of the state's free. Obviously that won't happen and there would be so many loopholes. This whole thing is gonna be the "20s alcohol prohibition" of reptiles.
  • 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM
    nightrainfalls
    Has there been an update on this?
    I don't see anything on USARK's Page

Anyone know what happened?

David
  • 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
    ajmreptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    You just gotta love that 1% of people who own big snakes who saw this cute little $20 snake more monitor lizard get is and in a few hours say "now what?" and release it. what I personally think should happen is: if you are in a state where invasives are an issue, you have to get a 5-10 year permit to keep them and go through a small class (to weed out the idiot keepers) then you are allowed to keep and sell whatever you want. And keep the rest of the state's free. Obviously that won't happen and there would be so many loopholes. This whole thing is gonna be the "20s alcohol prohibition" of reptiles.

Florida had dealt with that issue, requiring you to have a permit and to have the snake micro chipped and if they found the snake in the wild you faced some hefty fines

Quote:

the USFWS is to make the announcement any moment now
  • 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM
    ajmreptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by USARK
    Dan Ashe just announced that Reticulated pythons and three anacondas will be listed as injurious under the Lacey Act. This is unacceptable and extreme overreach by FWS. USARK will release an email newsletter with our future actions ASAP.

Its offical, no news yet as to how long the leeway will be

but looks like boas are safe for now

Edit: the link to the USFWS announcement http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/InvasiveSpecies.html
  • 03-06-2015, 02:16 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Re: Has there been an update on this?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrainfalls View Post

David

What happened is the constrictor rule in 2012, again this is not something new, they added species that were originally left out to be reviewed.

Here are some FAQ since some people seems to be in the dark http://usark.org/2014-blog/constrictor-rule-1/

Most importantly

http://usark.org/membership-signup/

http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/
  • 03-06-2015, 02:28 PM
    bcr229
    Following opportunities for public comment, an economic analysis and an environmental assessment, the Service produced the final rule, which is expected to publish in the Federal Register March 10. The prohibitions in the rule will go into effect 30 days after publication and apply to live individuals, gametes, viable eggs or hybrids of the four snakes.

So, the cutoff date for the affected species is April 9, 2015.
  • 03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    So, the cutoff date for the affected species is April 9, 2015.

Right in the middle of laying and hatching season with bad weather to boot.

Thankfully, boa constrictors were removed from consideration. (boa constrictors includes every single subspecies, by the way.)
  • 03-06-2015, 03:16 PM
    reptileexperts
    Goodbye retics :(
  • 03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
    Marrissa
    Ugh. I'm so mad. I want a super dwarf retic someday. And I'd better be sure I never have to move states after that, and good luck finding what I want within state. I really hope with USARK we can eventually get this whole thing overturned.
  • 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
    nightrainfalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    What happened is the constrictor rule in 2012, again this is not something new, they added species that were originally left out to be reviewed.

Here are some FAQ since some people seems to be in the dark http://usark.org/2014-blog/constrictor-rule-1/

Most importantly

http://usark.org/membership-signup/

http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/

Dear Deborah,

I know about the 2012 ban and the species review, I was wondering what happened at the announcement?

Specifically which species were banned form interstate commerce and which weren't.

Thanks,

David
  • 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
    reptileexperts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrainfalls View Post
    Dear Deborah,

I know about the 2012 ban and the species review, I was wondering what happened at the announcement?

Specifically which species were banned form interstate commerce and which weren't.

Thanks,

David

http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/InvasiveSpecies.html

Boas were spared - Retics and All Anaconda were not
  • 03-06-2015, 04:11 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    HSUS blatantly lies in their blog today about the listing. Call them out on it!
    http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/...ng-snakes.html
  • 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM
    A_Kap
    I was all set to order a dwarf retic online. Now I don't know if I still want to since I wont even be able to move it out of PA. I feel like purchasing a few more ball pythons which might be next on the list of "invasive species". This ban is so depressing. It just ruined my entire day.
  • 03-06-2015, 05:23 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Kap View Post
    I was all set to order a dwarf retic online. Now I don't know if I still want to since I wont even be able to move it out of PA.

If you want to that badly then do it, a lot of collections are being sold for a pittance right now. PA is a decent sized state so rehoming it shouldn't be difficult if you do have to move.
  • 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
    A_Kap
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you want to that badly then do it, a lot of collections are being sold for a pittance right now. PA is a decent sized state so rehoming it shouldn't be difficult if you do have to move.

that's true. Idk, at least my boa is safe, for now. I wouldn't be suprised if in a few months boas will be up for re-evaluation. At least we have big name pet stores like petco to encourage the denial of boas to the snake ban
  • 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

that's true. Idk, at least my boa is safe, for now. I wouldn't be suprised if in a few months boas will be up for re-evaluation. At least we have big name pet stores like petco to encourage the denial of boas to the snake ban

They won't. The rule was finalized so USFWS has no more plans to change it. The only time anything else gets added is if there's another proposition written by another d-bag politician. I suspect tegus and monitors would at least be their next target if environmental, misanthropic, and animal rights lobbying continues.
  • 03-06-2015, 07:47 PM
    Daniel.michelle
    Welcome to america, where freedom means we have to do what rich white men say about everything, including things that they have no knowledge of. "I don't know what that is, lets just ban it so I don't have to learn."

7/10 too much water. (If you get that reference, good for you)
  • 03-06-2015, 10:21 PM
    Craigaria
    My wife found this. It looks like they are leaving boas of the list :)

[IMG]http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/a...psts5dghqq.jpg[/IMG]
  • 03-07-2015, 02:00 AM
    Sauzo
    Yeah from reading it tonight, it looks like retics and anacondas are the only ones to get added to the ban hammer. Boas are safe for whatever that's worth for how long. It's blanket laws like this that really burn me. I live her in Washington state and there is no way an Anaconda is going to adapt and "spread" to cold Washington state weather... and definitely not to colder east coast states. if the powers that be are going to make these laws, at least make put a little thought into them and make them make sense..../rant off.
  • 03-07-2015, 02:55 AM
    A_Kap
    Isn't it amazing how the small event of a couple of idiots releasing unwanted snakes into the wild can impact the entire nation? It just blows me away.
  • 03-07-2015, 03:04 AM
    Sauzo
    Well its not just idiots releasing snakes. Its also due to hurricanes and storms. I was watching a show on the pythons in Florida and stuff and they said Katrina wrecked a lot of reptile facilities which allowed hundreds of little snakes to escape. I personally think the amount of damage a storm or hurricane does to how many reptile breeding facilities and freeing tons of little babies is more damaging that the release of a few pets. But yes the idiots did add fuel to the fire regardless. They needed to just have the law applied per state and not just a blanket but I guess its much easier and faster and cheaper to just throw it as a blanket law. So I guess i'll probably never get a sweet purple retic or dwarf retic or anything fancy as I live in Washington State and I'm sure breeders up her are slim pickings.
  • 03-07-2015, 04:58 AM
    Jhill001
    Congrats to the US Government for enacting a law 20 years too late. I don't think anyone disagrees that large constrictors are bad for the local environment's fauna. They obviously are and will continue to be. If they didn't want this to be an issue they should have done this years ago. But they are already there and the environment of the Everglades means they will be impossible to eradicate. So who cares if someone lets go a pet retic. There are already tens or hundred of thousands in the wild already. Literally nothing is done here. Not one solid tangable benefit is gained.

Should we be surprised from a gov't that hasn't accomplished anything meaningful since the Clinton Administration.
  • 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

At least we have big name pet stores like petco to encourage the denial of boas to the snake ban

Petco could not careless their business does not revolve around the snake or even reptile industry and would continue to do just fine if it disappeared, also keep in mind that they make sizable donations to the HSUS each year.
    Quote:

Isn't it amazing how the small event of a couple of idiots releasing unwanted snakes into the wild can impact the entire nation? It just blows me away.

And it's amazing that people still believe the issue in Florida is due to "idiot" releasing their pets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    So who cares if someone lets go a pet retic. There are already tens or hundred of thousands in the wild already.

There are no retics in the everglades there are burmese pythons and certainly not "tens or hundred of thousands" that what they hope people will believe.

For anyone wanting some good read based on REAL science there is a ton to be found here on this subject http://vpi.com/publications
  • 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Congrats to the US Government for enacting a law 20 years too late. I don't think anyone disagrees that large constrictors are bad for the local environment's fauna. They obviously are and will continue to be. If they didn't want this to be an issue they should have done this years ago. But they are already there and the environment of the Everglades means they will be impossible to eradicate. So who cares if someone lets go a pet retic. There are already tens or hundred of thousands in the wild already. Literally nothing is done here. Not one solid tangable benefit is gained.

Should we be surprised from a gov't that hasn't accomplished anything meaningful since the Clinton Administration.

I'd like to see the true number of what snakes are REALLY in the Everglades, which is obviously not possible. I find it funny how the "experts" make it sound like every Burm, Rock or Retic is a full grown 12+ foot animal. The truth is, even in their natural habitats large, adult snakes are more of the exception and not the rule.

Very few snakes in the wild, and to some extent, even in captivity, survive birth/hatch to adulthood. There are plenty of predators that feed on reptiles in the Everglades. King snakes, Indigo snakes, birds, gators, CATS, DOMESTIC CATS not to mention the wild species, and a host of other animals. Climate, pollution and disease wipe out animals all of the time. The wild is not an easy place to survive/thrive.

Any large adult snake that survives to become an apex predator is truly a bad ass and rather rare. It is not something that happens with every snake. However the TV shows would lead you to believe, if a snake lays 20-30 or more eggs, EVERY one hatches and they ALL grow to 20 foot adults. That is pure BS.

It's interesting how irrigation practices, development and pollution have had huge consequences in the Everglades for years, yet the focus is on constrictors, and this focus has somehow become a "national crisis".

All you need is a dramatic voice inflection, some scary music and a show on the idiot box (TV) and you can make anything look like a disaster waiting to happen. Snakes are an easy target, they always have been. I remember the same thing with pit bulls and it continues to this day despite the fact they are a wonderful breed of dog and it's been proven.

Sensationalized hype wins again though.

The "people" have a really small voice. It's sad because there are many, highly educated, enthusiastic, professional and responsible folks that pay the price for no good reason.

The law is not 20 years too late, it's not even necessary, and has nothing to do with the Everglades in states where these animals would die off instantly in the winter or fall.

Responsible keepers panic when their power goes out because their captive collection is at risk of dying, and these are well cared for animals. Anybody who thinks these snakes stand a chance in cool climates needs to take a course in biology.

This "law" is a typical shotgun solution to a small problem that could be handled in other ways. Sadly, it is only one of many. Our municipal laws/ordinances will attack what the federal law leaves "open".

I really feel bad for the great breeders, that have dedicated years and years of their time and effort to producing healthy animals, and tapping into projects that have brought spectacular colors, traits and educational info to the hobby. Also, the enthusiasts who love and care for their pets responsibly.

For some folks, this decision is a total destruction of their livelihood which is just flat out wrong.
  • 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM
    John1982
    Quote:

There are already tens or hundred of thousands in the wild already.

A couple years ago Florida advertised the bejesus out of a big snake hunt in the everglades. Managed to attract some 1600 "hunters" from across the country to come tramp through the everglades for an entire month with cash prizes awarded to largest amount and largest sized captures.

Over 1500 people stomping around the glades for a full month, motivated by money, and you know how many burmese pythons they caught? [sarcasm]A whopping 68! [/sarcasm]

These animals have been living in South Florida for well over 20 years and they haven't even made it to the northern part of the state. It simply gets too cold for them. This doesn't stop the fear mongering asshats from flat out lying to get these animals listed as "injurious" and out the door.

**edited to point out sarcasm**
  • 03-07-2015, 01:29 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    A couple years ago Florida advertised the bejesus out of a big snake hunt in the everglades. Managed to attract some 1600 "hunters" from across the country to come tramp through the everglades for an entire month with cash prizes awarded to largest amount and largest sized captures.

Over 1500 people stomping around the glades for a full month, motivated by money, and you know how many burmese pythons they caught? [sarcasm]A whopping 68! [/sarcasm]

These animals have been living in South Florida for well over 20 years and they haven't even made it to the northern part of the state. It simply gets too cold for them. This doesn't stop the fear mongering asshats from flat out lying to get these animals listed as "injurious" and out the door.

**edited to point out sarcasm**

This is great! I wonder how many of those 1500 were tossing beer bottles and trash into the Glades LOL!

I have this mental picture of the "good ole snake hunt" and its probably the same picture a lot of us see.

"The hunt" probably disrupted, polluted and damaged the Glades more on the first day, than any "invasive species" has done in 10 years.

Another super idea!
  • 03-07-2015, 04:28 PM
    Sauzo
    Well to play devils advocate, you do all realize snakes are masters of concealment. They don't hear the way mammals do you but they can feel ground vibrations from a LONG ways away. So I'm sure they "heard" the masses of drunk cash mongering snake hunters coming from a mile away and just buried down in the grasses. Not to mention, imagine how flighty a baby is going to be out in the wild. They aren't going to be that nice docile laid back "pet". They are going to the butt boogeying staying alive little baby of the wilds. While I do think the shows overblow it a lot, I imagine a lot did get loose during the hurricanes and while probably half or less survived, those that did and got to a decent size would have a lot less predators to worry about. The only real predator I can think of for a 6ft+ constrictor in the Everglades would be a gator and man of course. Oh well, the government is great at throwing on bandaids. Shame it hurts so many people, me included as I live in Washington state where no large constrictor could survive anything outdoors past around our 2 month summers.
  • 03-07-2015, 04:34 PM
    A_Kap
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Petco could not careless their business does not revolve around the snake or even reptile industry and would continue to do just fine if it disappeared, also keep in mind that they make sizable donations to the HSUS each year.
    And it's amazing that people still believe the issue in Florida is due to "idiot" releasing their pets.

There are no retics in the everglades there are burmese pythons and certainly not "tens or hundred of thousands" that what they hope people will believe.

For anyone wanting some good read based on REAL science there is a ton to be found here on this subject http://vpi.com/publications

From what I understand, the boa was kept off the ban because
    widespread private ownership and domestic breeding, render importation and interstate transport prohibitions less effective. Meaning that due to the popularity of boas in pet stores, it has become much more common across America than say an anaconda or a retic. All I was saying was that if those snakes were more common in pet stores some of those snakes might not have been banned. I know petco doesn't care. I know they're all about the money. That's why I like to encourage people to go to local reptile shows or purchase from breeders.
  • 03-07-2015, 07:11 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well to play devils advocate, you do all realize snakes are masters of concealment. They don't hear the way mammals do you but they can feel ground vibrations from a LONG ways away. So I'm sure they "heard" the masses of drunk cash mongering snake hunters coming from a mile away and just buried down in the grasses. Not to mention, imagine how flighty a baby is going to be out in the wild. They aren't going to be that nice docile laid back "pet". They are going to the butt boogeying staying alive little baby of the wilds. While I do think the shows overblow it a lot, I imagine a lot did get loose during the hurricanes and while probably half or less survived, those that did and got to a decent size would have a lot less predators to worry about. The only real predator I can think of for a 6ft+ constrictor in the Everglades would be a gator and man of course. Oh well, the government is great at throwing on bandaids. Shame it hurts so many people, me included as I live in Washington state where no large constrictor could survive anything outdoors past around our 2 month summers.

Well, this sounds good in theory, being masters of concealment, but there are boa farms in South America that harvest wild caught animals and the pet trade has severely impacted their numbers in the wild. The same goes for the royal python. Harvesting wild caught animals has by some accounts endangered their numbers and the captive production of royals has actually been a positive step in keeping the wild population numbers from dwindling further. That info was from one of Mark O'Shea's publications.

The rattle snake "harvests" practiced in some southern states has severely reduced the numbers in their natural habitat.

So even with the secretive lives snakes lead, there is plenty that a determined group of 15-16 thousand can do over a month's time to find ALL of these "giants" cough,,, cough that are "taking over" the glades.

The fact that they haven't been pulling giant pythons out of the Everglades in large numbers, isn't because they can't find them, it's because the false data that was spread as to the TRUE number was just that,, FLASE.

And further more a 6 foot snake actually does have predators. They can make an easy target after a meal, or when they are cold.

Don't forget the reason people worry about hungry rats around snakes that aren't hungry.

Anyhow, that is a bit off topic, but the new restrictions serve no purpose at all other than what Reptile Experts mentioned in the Giant Python forum.

Lots of $$ for fanatical groups like HSUS and PETA to give and lobby their favorite political agendas.
  • 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM
    Daigga
    Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Just a thought, but the natural diets of Burms should overlap pretty closely with that of the native alligators. Considering that their diets would likely include each other (burms eating gators and vice versa), I can't imagine a growing burmese python population in the everglades causing any actual ecological damage. The alligator population might shrink some in balance with that of the burms, but the predator/prey relationship in the everglades should mostly remain unchanged otherwise.

Hell, if burms were allowed to continue their existence in the everglades (and honestly, what makes them more dangerous than alligators?), it may end up being a good thing. Poachers target alligators because their skin and meat have value and the poached variety can't be told apart from the farmed variety; burmese python skin and meat doesn't have hardly any value in the American market and isn't farmed for this reason, so the poaching of the snakes can't be very profitable/popular (fun fact; burms being on the lacey act makes it illegal to sell their skins, meat, or other products just the same as that of the animal itself). They could also turn into quite the tourist trap, just like the alligators themselves, and start bringing in a profit for the state of Florida.

Just my personal thoughts and opinions. I've always been taught to try and make the best out of a bad situation, so I don't see why people in Florida haven't tried. If the people of Florida can learn to love their scaly new inhabitants, maybe the restrictions on all these snakes can be eased or lifted.
  • 03-07-2015, 08:24 PM
    Nate_Mitchell
    So much for my future...:tears:
  • 03-08-2015, 01:04 AM
    bcr229
    Thankfully the boas were not included in the list, but I expect there will be another effort made in the future to add them based on statements made in:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/lacey-act-sna...lovers-1839762.
  • 03-08-2015, 03:25 AM
    anicatgirl
  • 03-08-2015, 01:14 PM
    blue roses
    Yes , we can all do something. Go vvote, and i don't mean for all the bleeding heart liberals, who are trying to tell us, what guns we can own, what pets we can own, and how large they can be, or what breed they can't be, or what we must eat or drink, or the health care we must carry. I remember when we were free to live and make our own decisions. I was born in 1950, so i remember what it was like. If you want it that way again, you need to get rid of any polititian who thinks they know whats best for you, and start working for the people who believe that as long as we harm none ,we should be able to do as we will. by the way that is the life rule of the wiccan believers, it actually says harm none , do as ye will. The harm none refurs to every living thing. So think before you vote, and work really hard for those trying to protect our constitution, and the bill of rights. Sorry for the rant, but for the last 8 years i have gotten really angry

Did you guy ever think of organizing a march on washington, carrying our snakes up to the capital steps. Just think about all the signs saying, the biggest snakes live here.