Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,628

1 members and 2,627 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Retic cage thoughts

Printable View

• 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM
    jmcrook
    Retic cage thoughts
    Shopping around for quotes on an 8’ long pvc cage built in two 4’ halves. For my 10’ Kalatoa girl. She’s currently in a 72x30x18.
    Boamaster just gave me a quote on 96x32x15 built as two 4’ sections for $575 shipped. Best deal I’ve come across anywhere. On the fence about having a 3” shorter cage though.
    Other giant keepers out there, thoughts on 15” tall caging for a retic? The floor space is perfect, ideally I’d like to go 24” tall though.
    I have a feeling he’s trying to move currently stocked products instead of cutting a custom build. What does anyone think? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-31-2018, 12:02 AM
    bcr229
    For a 32" deep enclosure I'd want it to be at least 18" high to make reaching into the back to clean it easier.
  • 07-31-2018, 01:28 AM
    Sauzo
    Like i've said before and BCR said, anything over 2 feet deep, i'd want at least 18 inch height.
  • 07-31-2018, 04:00 AM
    jmcrook
    Re: Retic cage thoughts
    @bcr229 @sauzo thanks y’all! same thoughts I was having. I’m going to press mark about the height and see what height he can offer at what price. I really just don’t want to go shorter than 18” at the least

• 07-31-2018, 11:30 PM
    Stearns84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    @bcr229 @sauzo thanks y’all! same thoughts I was having. I’m going to press mark about the height and see what height he can offer at what price. I really just don’t want to go shorter than 18” at the least

Keep this thread updated. I'm looking for the same options / ideas for a 7' / 8' enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 07-31-2018, 11:45 PM
    Gio
    I think 24” tall at minimum. Not just for reaching but also for Philly. She needs the height and stimulation. I think it will help.

And yes, then of course the cleaning and even more important the ability to reach in and remove her.

She is big now.

That’s a nice price. I’d pay $100 more for ceiling space.

Good luck brother👍
  • 08-01-2018, 06:04 AM
    Chads300
    of Your looking for a custom build try Jon’s custom creations and reptiles . I ordered three cages so far and the Workman ship and attention to detail is above and beyond prices are great and the communication is second to none. He also does custom one off builds, from odd ball sizes to water features ect. If you want his number feel free to pm me
  • 08-01-2018, 06:10 AM
    Chads300
  • 08-01-2018, 07:37 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:
    What are the dimensions on this and how much did it cost if you mind me asking?

• 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM
    Chads300
    72-24-16 I paid 450 for it with lighting a rhp and thermostat I also just bought two more in black same setup for 900. Like I said if you want different dimensions he can make it and his quality is second to none
  • 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chads300 View Post
    72-24-16 I paid 450 for it with lighting a rhp and thermostat I also just bought two more in black same setup for 900. Like I said if you want different dimensions he can make it and his quality is second to none

Was that including shipping or no?

• 08-01-2018, 08:34 PM
    Chads300
    I picked them up as he is at a lot of shows but I know he does VERY good deals as far as shipping as he ships internationally as well
  • 08-02-2018, 08:48 PM
    jmcrook
    Jon’s Custom Creations quoted $570 for two connecting 48x30x24 in white pvc, $670 in black. $160 shipping. Beats boamaster quote by about $200 for the exact same cage. Would have glass locking doors instead of non locking acrylic as well. Will also install RHP. Might start making a budget for this and place an order sooner than later. 3-4 week turnaround if not sooner.

• 08-02-2018, 09:44 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:
    @Chads300 how easily are the sliding doors removed? They’re set inside the front of the cage right?

• 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM
    Chads300
    They are easy to remove I clean mine every week. Like I said Jons the man and his quality and communication are second to none. I placed my order two weeks ago and I’m picking up my two new ones this Sunday. Glad you texted him and hope I was of some assistance.
  • 08-02-2018, 10:35 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

They are easy to remove I clean mine every week. Like I said Jons the man and his quality and communication are second to none. I placed my order two weeks ago and I’m picking up my two new ones this Sunday. Glad you texted him and hope I was of some assistance.

Awesome. He was very helpful and quick to respond. I’ll likely be making an order with him once I get my budget squared away.

• 08-03-2018, 06:58 AM
    Stearns84
    Quote:

Awesome. He was very helpful and quick to respond. I’ll likely be making an order with him once I get my budget squared away.

Please give a full review and I might order in the spring then!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM
    Gio
    Great prices and the unit looks well made.

Go with black to match your other stuff and enjoy the 24" tall cage. You will have to use some longer perches, but that's part of the game.

The brackets you have will hold 8 foot perches easily.

I'm pretty stoked for you.
  • 08-03-2018, 12:40 PM
    jmcrook
    And to make things even better, I’ve just accepted a new (and higher paying) position at my university as Exhibition Coordinator in the Art Department. Looks like I found my cage budget haha!

• 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

And to make things even better, I’ve just accepted a new (and higher paying) position at my university as Exhibition Coordinator in the Art Department. Looks like I found my cage budget haha!

congratz.
  • 08-03-2018, 01:06 PM
    Valyrian
    I think all snakes require the opportunity to climb if the wish to for enrichment and quality of life. Same as they require a hide should they wish to use it at any given time. So I think at least 4, maybe push it down to 3 feet of height for a Retic at a minimum. That's just my opinion from what I've seen of their behaviour in the wild. But if you have a lot of animals space might be the most important consideration.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • 08-03-2018, 01:29 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Show time go time!

Well done sir! Well done!
  • 08-03-2018, 01:43 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    I think all snakes require the opportunity to climb if the wish to for enrichment and quality of life. Same as they require a hide should they wish to use it at any given time. So I think at least 4, maybe push it down to 3 feet of height for a Retic at a minimum. That's just my opinion from what I've seen of their behaviour in the wild. But if you have a lot of animals space might be the most important consideration.

Anything over 24” tall won’t fit through a standard doorway once assembled. That’s why I’m topping out at 24”. Otherwise I’d probably do 30-36” tall. I’ve “only” got 4 snakes but that’s my max for the time being. Want to be able to give them all the attention they deserve without running myself ragged at the same time. They’re all pretty spoiled though, especially once I pull the trigger on Phyllis’s new condo lol

• 08-03-2018, 02:00 PM
    Valyrian
    Quote:

Anything over 24” tall won’t fit through a standard doorway once assembled. That’s why I’m topping out at 24”. Otherwise I’d probably do 30-36” tall. I’ve “only” got 4 snakes but that’s my max for the time being. Want to be able to give them all the attention they deserve without running myself ragged at the same time. They’re all pretty spoiled though, especially once I pull the trigger on Phyllis’s new condo lol

Yeah that's part of the reason I've only got one Burm for the foreseeable future. For me she's going to have a 6 feet high enclosure with sturdy logs for climbing and a big heated drainable pool. I dont judge people for having 18 inch high enclosures but that's not how I want to do it. Imagine how people house their water monitors, that's the size I'm aiming for. I'm looking forward to making that build.

• 08-05-2018, 04:47 PM
    Chads300
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...dd616010d7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...587e2accbe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a7e90a193a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7244a5e65d.jpg got my new setups today and everyone loves them. Someone stole our locks and Jon is sending us two news ones free of charge. Can’t say enough good things about this guy

• 08-05-2018, 05:10 PM
    Chads300
    Ima snag a few of his hides to
  • 08-05-2018, 05:41 PM
    jmcrook
    Retic cage thoughts
    Quote:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...dd616010d7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...587e2accbe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a7e90a193a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7244a5e65d.jpg got my new setups today and everyone loves them. Someone stole our locks and Jon is sending us two news ones free of charge. Can’t say enough good things about this guy

Can you post some pics of the door tracks? I want to see how that’s actually designed. In some ways I think I like it but it also seems like I’d probably be scrubbing a ton of piss and poop out of the tracks a lot if they’re at floor level...
    Also, does he send them assembled or flat?

• 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM
    Chads300
    Sure give me a couple mins but they are higher up then the floor. I e never had to scrub pee out yet
  • 08-05-2018, 06:15 PM
    Chads300
  • 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM
    jmcrook
    Thanks man! Seeing how much interior space they take up I may actually want to go 36” deep on my cage. My hides are the exact inside width of a T25 and this definitely looks maybe an inch less depth. They look great though! Probably order mine very soon

• 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM
    Chads300
    Yeah..... I talked to him today next spring at income tax time I’m going with 3 96 inchers with custome waterfalls and ect. He gots my business for as long as I’m in the hobby that’s for sure lol
  • 08-06-2018, 12:22 PM
    jmcrook
    Just pulled the trigger on Phyllis’s freakin resort house lol. 3 week lead time. Can’t wait

• 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Really excited for you, I hope this does the trick
  • 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Really excited for you, I hope this does the trick

Thanks April! I hope so too, though I think her facial wounds were a big contributing factor in her pushing. Pulled a third broken tooth this morning. It’s gotten progressively better looking with each tooth I’ve removed. Poor girl...

• 08-06-2018, 06:26 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Just pulled the trigger on Phyllis’s freakin resort house lol. 3 week lead time. Can’t wait

Hey buddy,

What are the final specs?

I too am very excited for you. I hope you can rig up some higher perches and give her some good real-estate on the ground floor!
  • 08-06-2018, 06:29 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Very nice of you to share this.

I had not heard of this maker until this thread.

They look great!
  • 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM
    Chads300
    Jut trying to help fellow keepers out lol
  • 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM
    jmcrook
    Retic cage thoughts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Hey buddy,

What are the final specs?

I too am very excited for you. I hope you can rig up some higher perches and give her some good real-estate on the ground floor!

Final specs are: two cages that join in the center, 48x32x24, making one cage 96x32x24. Will have a center vertical support on both sides, so two pairs of sliding doors total. That’s the only part I’m not wild about but no one else will build this design for under almost $900. This build is $670 for the cages and $160 for shipping, $830 total. If she ever needs more space than this I’m sending her back to her geographic roots in Kalatoa lol!
    Floor space will be taken up a lot by her hide and pool but she likes those so I want her to be happy. Should have a shelf in the new unit as well.
    I need to either build a new cart for this or modify my current 6’ shelving unit to support this cage with overhang by 12” on the left and right. I just really like having my cages on casters for ease of access to the back for thermostat wires access and such.
    Excited about the short lead time. I could have it by the end of the month probably, as opposed to sometime next year.

• 08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Final specs are: two cages that join in the center, 48x32x24, making one cage 96x32x24. Will have a center vertical support on both sides, so two pairs of sliding doors total. That’s the only part I’m not wild about but no one else will build this design for under almost $900. This build is $670 for the cages and $160 for shipping, $830 total. If she ever needs more space than this I’m sending her back to her geographic roots in Kalatoa lol!
    Floor space will be taken up a lot by her hide and pool but she likes those so I want her to be happy. Should have a shelf in the new unit as well.
    I need to either build a new cart for this or modify my current 6’ shelving unit to support this cage with overhang by 12” on the left and right. I just really like having my cages on casters for ease of access to the back for thermostat wires access and such.
    Excited about the short lead time. I could have it by the end of the month probably, as opposed to sometime next year.

It sounds great, and I think this will make all of the difference.

Don't push the food, let her adjust, and settle. If you can at all possibly drop temps as fall arrives, I think that will help.

Her locale is one of the smallest and her feeding is heavy in the migration period, and very light when that season ends.

You are going to be making a big splash when you post pictures of that cage.

I really looking forward to it.

If nobody had said it yet,,,,,,, that is a hell of a good deal too.

Well researched my man!
  • 08-06-2018, 10:57 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

It sounds great, and I think this will make all of the difference.

Don't push the food, let her adjust, and settle. If you can at all possibly drop temps as fall arrives, I think that will help.

Her locale is one of the smallest and her feeding is heavy in the migration period, and very light when that season ends.

You are going to be making a big splash when you post pictures of that cage.

I really looking forward to it.

If nobody had said it yet,,,,,,, that is a hell of a good deal too.

Well researched my man!

There’s always talk of the seasonal feast/famine feeding habits on those Super Dwarf/Dwarf islands but I can’t find actual field data to back any of it up. I’m by no means planning to slam her with food but once her mouth is healed up good I do have rabbits ranging from 4-5.5lbs in my deep freezer. Hoping one of those will allow her to stretch to a two week feeding interval but we’ll see. Those will NOT be a regular prey item. Just a big treat every so often.
    I can’t wait for this cage to get here. Can finally upgrade Gerald as well and get the boa into half of Gerald’s T8 until he grows enough to use the whole cage. Then I “should” be set for the foreseeable future. Scheming on how I might outfit the current 6’ shelves the cages are on to hold an 8’ cage with a 6’ on top. Would only be 12” hanging off either side, but there will be a large heavy water bowl and hide at either of those ends, possibly occupied by a 25lb+ snake at anytime.
    At the moment I’m considering two sheets of 48”x30” plywood secured to the shelving unit, 8’ cage centered on the shelf/plywood, 6’ cage centered above that. I don’t think there would be enough of a mechanical advantage to allow any tipping or sagging on either end. Or I could just build a simple essentially oversized pair of furniture dollys for both halves of the big cage with 2x4s and 5” casters. Those casters aren’t cheap though. We’ll see

• 08-07-2018, 09:02 PM
    jmcrook
    Retic cage thoughts
    Had an epiphany looking at pics of a FB friend’s snake room... connect three or four Milwaukee furniture dollys with two 1”x4”x8’ whitewood boards to make a cart for the cage. Would be way cheaper and faster than my severely over engineered designs. That may be the answer. Non locking casters but I could swap two of them out for a locking pair.

• 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM
    jmcrook
    Pro Products got back to me about panels for the new cage. Woof, gonna be a pricey one. Either one 190watt panel for $250 or two 100watt panels, one for both sides, for $120 each. Will have to think on this for a min. One panel would get he job done but he says it may get a little hot directly under it and create a very large temp gradient. Two panels would spread the power across the cage more evenly but then I’d also need another thermostat to control the big cages. Hrmmm...

• 08-08-2018, 12:24 PM
    jmcrook
    What would any of y’all do with this size cage and with the heat panel recommendations? One big panel or two smaller?

• 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM
    jmcrook
    Alternatively I could use a 160watt Reptile Basics panel and it would be half the price and free shipping. I do feel a loyalty to Pro Products though as all of my other cages have their panels and the 10 year warranty is nice... 2-3 weeks to build and ship the pro products panel, a week to shop the RBI panel.
    Anyone care to weigh in on this?

• 08-08-2018, 03:35 PM
    Avsha531
    I personally would use 2 panels and a Herpstat 2 of I was in your situation, but that is purely based on my gut instinct with no basis on experience

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    I personally would use 2 panels and a Herpstat 2 of I was in your situation, but that is purely based on my gut instinct with no basis on experience

Thank you! I ended up deciding to go with the single larger panel. My reasoning is that my retic seems to enjoy a wider temperature gradient and using two panels would make for a more narrow gradient. I’ve got two herpstat 2, one channel currently not used. If I went with two panels I’d have to get at least another herpstat 1, adding another $150 to this cage build which is already setting me back about $1100.
    Larger panel will also cover about a tad less than 1/3 the length of the cage which is my ideal hot spot size.

• 08-08-2018, 03:47 PM
    Avsha531
    Quote:

Thank you! I ended up deciding to go with the single larger panel. My reasoning is that my retic seems to enjoy a wider temperature gradient and using two panels would make for a more narrow gradient. I’ve got two herpstat 2, one channel currently not used. If I went with two panels I’d have to get at least another herpstat 1, adding another $150 to this cage build which is already setting me back about $1100.
    Larger panel will also cover about a tad less than 1/3 the length of the cage which is my ideal hot spot size.

Ok makes sense. Been following this thread, can't wait to see the finished product!

• 08-08-2018, 05:32 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Plus the Herpstat can be set for a night drop. I do it with all of my cages. Even if your hot spot, dead center was 100 degrees at certain stages, she's got another 4 feet to work with on the cool side.

The night drop allows for an even further range of temps for 8-12 hours.

You are getting dialed in!
  • 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
    jmcrook
    Retic cage thoughts
    Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Plus the Herpstat can be set for a night drop. I do it with all of my cages. Even if your hot spot, dead center was 100 degrees at certain stages, she's got another 4 feet to work with on the cool side.

The night drop allows for an even further range of temps for 8-12 hours.

You are getting dialed in!

Yep! One of my herpstats also has a setting to limit the max % of power provided to the heating element. I could send the other back to be reprogrammed but it does just fine controlling the smaller panels in my 4’ cages, never goes over 60%. The bigger panel will go up to a 70-80-90% depending on the set temps so I programmed it to not use more than 65% power. It will run the panel for longer periods of time but a more consistent and gentle heat and it stabilized the temps a good deal. Getting super pumped to put this all together. My snake room will be a bit more cramped but not bad. Looking forward to two small walls of snakes to enjoy observing. Next I need a comfier chair to enjoy my “entertainment center” from at night lol

• 09-06-2018, 11:51 PM
    jmcrook
    Giant Pro Products RHP arrived today. Cage should be shipping next week. So close...