Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,079

0 members and 2,079 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS

Spayed (w/pics)

Printable View

• 07-31-2008, 12:03 AM
    ADEE
    Spayed (w/pics)
    We just now finally got home.. Rain did wonderful according to the vet and im just glad its over with. Waiting to get her spayed has been a huge weight on my shoulders and im glad its finally done. She held her peepee all the way home and as soon as i let her into her cage she jumped right in her litter pan and peed for what felt like forever hahaha.. poor girl had to GO! She also started munching on some hay too which helped me feel a bit better about this being done. I will see how she does in the morning and weigh her pellets and see how much of it she ate. Thanks everyone for all the well wishes, comments and suggestions, just as you all said she did great!

Still covered in betadine
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/...a9d641427b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/...6d590f65ac.jpg
  • 07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
    python.princess
    Re: Spayed (w/pics)
    glad it went well! I know how you were feeling!
  • 07-31-2008, 12:13 AM
    Broseph
    glad to hear shes doing well... shes a cute little bugger:D
  • 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM
    ADEE
    Thanks you two.. I was really stressed out about it and im just glad its done and over with and shes home resting in her own bed. I love that little fur ball!
  • 07-31-2008, 12:19 AM
    Sasquatch Art
    Glad to hear everything went fine...She is so pretty :P
  • 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
    ADEE
    :) Thanks Ashley.. me too!
  • 07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
    mlededee
    Give her a nice thick towel or something similar to rest on for the next few days if you haven't already. If she doesn't have much of an appetite at first don't be alarmed, as long as she starts eating normally again within about 48 hours. My female bunny didn't really move around much for the first 24 hours so I held the water bottle up for her to drink out of every few hours and also gave her her most favorite greens so she would eat. It took about 48 full hours for her to start eating and drinking on her own again but it's been two weeks now and she's all better except for a little line on her belly that's disappearing under the regrowing fur. :)
  • 07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
    PsYcHo_99
    glad it went well..
  • 07-31-2008, 12:53 AM
    blackcrystal22
    Oh thats so relieving that it went well!

Not that it's that important, but what was your reasoning for getting her spayed? I can understand males because they spray, but females don't have a huge chance of running away and having bunny babies. Aha.
  • 07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
    mlededee
    Getting females spayed greatly reduces their chance of getting various cancers of the reproductive system. It is highly recommended to spay and neuter rabbits for their health and longevity. :)
  • 07-31-2008, 01:22 AM
    ChicaPiton519
    awe shes gorgeous!

do you know what breed she is? or is she mixed?
  • 07-31-2008, 01:47 AM
    blackcrystal22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Getting females spayed greatly reduces their chance of getting various cancers of the reproductive system. It is highly recommended to spay and neuter rabbits for their health and longevity. :)

Aha, well that makes more sense.
    I knew it was like that with female dogs.. unfortunately we can't spay her right now.. but now I know it's with rabbits too!
  • 07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
    ADEE
    Thats why we did it.. we dont have any male rabbits so she would certainly never have babies but its most healthy for them. I would be really upset to loose her over something that couldve been so easily avoided. Thanks Emily for stating the info :) good to help others learn

thanks everyone for the comments! Rain was still feeling a bit sore this morning but had pood' everywhere for me lol

chica: shes a dwarf mix.. no specific breed at all. we love her though :) shes the best bun' ever!
  • 07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
    mlededee
    Do you know if she is part Netherland Dwarf? Mine are Netherland Dwarfs "with something else mixed in" (as per the person we got them from :P ). They basically look like NDs with longer ears and slightly different shaped noses. :)
  • 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
    ADEE
    Heck.. she could be anything hahahaa... they just had them listed as dwarf mix, she was the result of an oops litter that was surrendered to the petstore where i worked in my teens. She is just over 2lbs now but is fairly young yet and does have pretty long ears which makes me think she isnt the Netherland Dwarf, shes certainly not the type of dwarf that has the super short ears, hers are no doubt longer then that. The vet actually thinks shes about 3-4mos old at most, they still felt safe doing the spay because they have done lots and lots of rescue rabbits who were much younger.

Glad to hear were not the only nutty ones getting our rabbits spayed hahaha, we had to drive an hour+ to take her to get done! Spent about 70 in fuel because we went the wrong day and had to go up the next day to get it done.. the spay was only $40 though!!! My vet down here wanted $200+ and my friend who is a vet for VCA wanted 100+
  • 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
    OhBalls
    Very pretty bunny! Glad she'll be okay! :)
  • 07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
    catawhat75
    Aw, make sure you spoil her rotten since she was such a good girl. It is time to have my male mini rex neutered- now the hard part is finding a vet who will do it (and not charge me $300!)
  • 07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
    tideguyinva
    no more humpers for thumpers LOL
  • 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
    mlededee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tideguyinva View Post
    no more humpers for thumpers LOL

Ha, don't count on that! I've caught mine in the act a few times since they were fixed. Granted, not ALL the time anymore but I've witnessed a few moments. :P
  • 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
    ADEE
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/...d4c1355d2a.jpg
    2 days post surgery!!

She has cleaned it up nicely
  • 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
    ADEE
    4 days post surgery
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/...e5118bc668.jpg
    looking even better
  • 08-03-2008, 11:39 AM
    casperca
    Its healing right up! Glad things went so smoothly!
  • 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM
    ADEE
    :D Me too Catie!
  • 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
    ADEE
    Ok, were 6 days post surgery and shes still doing great.. she did remove the scab and it makes it look fresh but in the up close pic you can see its healing very well... and the other pic is "raise your hand if your mom totally annoys you!"
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...34087f6e5f.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/...44fa9693be.jpg
  • 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
    nwheat
    I love that last picture! What a patient little bunny! She's healing up fast!

Ours is going in for a haircut today - he got all matted while we were on vacation. He's going to look pretty funny for a while, I'm afraid! :rolleyes:
  • 08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
    ADEE
    lol.. we would love to see pictures of your bun after its shaven hahaha.. im very happy with Rains spay and also think shes healing very quickly :gj:
  • 08-06-2008, 02:08 PM
    nwheat
    I'll try to get some pics of him. He actually escaped with some hair! It's much shorter now (he's an American fuzzy lop) but at least he still has some! Normally, his hair makes him look at least three times bigger than he actually is. And, unfortunately, he hates being groomed.

Rain is absolutely adorable! I'm glad she did so well with her surgery!
  • 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
    halfwaynowhere
    glad she's recovering well!
    I remember when I took Lucy and Ricky in for their surgeries... I was really nervous, Lucy is a tiny lionhead, weighs less than 2 pounds. They both did great, and I'm glad I did it because the two of them are the best of friends, and they would have been destined to be single bunnies forever if i hadn't had them fixed.