Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 923

1 members and 922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
  • 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM
    dakski
    Ferry - Rhacodactylus Chahoua (Chewie)
    Katie says it was only a matter of time and that I was pretty "jelly donuts" over Ezzy. I have to admit, Ezzy is a cool critter. However, I've really enjoyed having Yafe in my office, and once healthy and happy, he's going down the reptile area in his new 4X2' Boaphile with climbing branches etc.

I really enjoyed working with Steve at Leapin' Leachies and have had a great experience with Ezzy since day one. However, I didn't necessarily want my own Leachie. I also said I was done acquiring animals. I feel I am approaching my limit and do not want to tip the scales.

Having said all that, after talking with Steve, and meeting the new guy, I fell in love (what else is new). Katie was there and basically said, a) I am not telling you what to do, b) you really like having a buddy in your office, and c) you are not going to get me to say no to a Rhacodactylus!

So, everyone, I want to introduce you to Ferdinand Porsche (Kxxxxx - also a German name). I named him after one of my favorite engineers, Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche, affectionately known as "Ferry," as he will be called.

He is a Rhacodactylus Mniarogekko Chahoua (Chewie), or Mossy New Caledonian Gecko, from Pine Island, not the Mainland. He is 2 1/2 years old and about full grown and weighs 60G.

He is a total sweetheart and can eat Pangea crested gecko diet, but Leapin' Leachies makes a slightly more protein rich diet for Chewie's, for about the same price. I will also supplement 1-2X a week with gut loaded insects, although, with the higher protein food, it's not 100% necessary. The Leopard Gecko's eat mealworms and Dubai roaches, so it's not like I don't have them on hand.

Otherwise, his requirements are similar to Ezzy. Room temp (plus I'll have a small heat pad on the back wall with a thermostat set to 75F for cool nights) and high humidity (65-75%). He's in a 16X16X20" enclosure and seems happy as a clam.

See Ferry drink: https://streamable.com/ueows

See Ferry look cute:

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/9dwZ2FQ.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/vXKjSsg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/RC7Yh7o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/gKBTEsc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/y7RgWdY.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/wDSCHz6.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/hPTF53P.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/35at0ZG.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/BTdBTUU.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/TJ64BnM.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/OR6V0Sr.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-26-2018, 12:05 PM
    RickyNY
    Very nice! Love the little guy, first time I hear or see one of these.
    Congrats Dakski
  • 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM
    richardhind1972
    Re: Ferry - Rhacodactylus Chahoua (Chewie)
    Very nice indeed, great little pick up there

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
  • 11-26-2018, 12:36 PM
    JRLongton
    Gorgeous little guy. So is this also the "last one"? :)
  • 11-26-2018, 01:09 PM
    Phillydubs
    He’s awesome....

i had zero to do with this purchase !!
  • 11-26-2018, 01:22 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Very nice! Love the little guy, first time I hear or see one of these.
    Congrats Dakski

They are quite rare. I think as rare if not rarer than Leachies. They lay big eggs, so even though they breed easier than Leachies, Steve said it takes a lot out of them to breed and I don't think you can count on them for regular breeding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Very nice indeed, great little pick up there

Thank you. There were a few "redder" ones that caught my eye. However, as with Ezzy, I said to Steve, "who's the chillest one you got?" He said Ferry was a total champ and we couldn't go wrong. Katie and I spent 1/2 an hour with him and he's a rock star. Can't complain about his looks either, and we bonded, so the rest is history. Plus this woman was asking me and Katie all these questions about Chewie's, as if we worked there, and then tried to buy him from under us. Steve wouldn't have it. She was PO'd. Oh well. He had 100 other animals, but she wanted Ferry. Too bad, so did I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Gorgeous little guy. So is this also the "last one"? :)

Thank you, and yes, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    He’s awesome....

i had zero to do with this purchase !!

In Phillydubs defense, and being a man of honor, he was looking at snakes on the other side of the show when Katie and I got Ferry. He had no idea and no input either way. He was pumped after, but that's a separate issue :).
  • 11-26-2018, 02:07 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Another cool "last" addition!!!!
  • 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM
    zina10
    Ok, now I get it...

When you say "I'm done acquiring new animals", that is really CODE for "I'm gonna get a bunch more in the next few weeks, watch me" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

NO FAIR !!!

You know I was thinking about a PI Chewie, and there you go and get one. :(

LOL !!

He is a BEAUTY of course, I LOVE those greens and pinks. I've said it before, but if I do add another gecko, it will be a PI Chewie, with lots of pink and green, I find them gorgeous and they usually have a beautiful personality to go with it.

Big congratulations :)
  • 11-26-2018, 02:15 PM
    Bogertophis
    "Last addition..." :rofl: I'm glad you won the custody battle though...personality ("chill") counts for way more than color in 'my book' too. :gj: He's way cool!
  • 11-26-2018, 02:17 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Nice Chewie they are a lot of fun and VERY sweet.....can't wait to see him fired up :gj:

Quote:

You know I was thinking about a PI Chewie, and there you go and get one.
    Zina time to get yourself one ;)
  • 11-26-2018, 02:28 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Nice Chewie they are a lot of fun and VERY sweet.....can't wait to see him fired up :gj:

So pushy you all are :D

Going so far as to get the animals I want and show them off...tsk tsk :rolleyes:

I need to add on a couple of rooms. Or better yet, find a bigger house :)
  • 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM
    Avsha531
    Awesome! Congrats Dave and Katie. I love getting previews before the general public :)

Sick name. I am a car guy myself, and when it comes to the illustrious Porsche brand I can't help but provide my abounding approval. Mazal tov!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Another cool "last" addition!!!!

Thank you brother. I am actually hoping this is it for a while. However, I refuse to make promises at this point.

Quote:

I agree. Ezzy is a doll, but seems a little more active. I'll see with time, but he's really chill.

Zina - see below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "Last addition..." :rofl: I'm glad you won the custody battle though...personality ("chill") counts for way more than color in 'my book' too. :gj: He's way cool!

Personally, I think he's a handsome guy. However, I agree personality trumps looks. However, as you can see with most of my animals, with my fiancé, etc. I like it when I can combine them :).

However, I did ask Steve who the chillest Chewie he had was and he said "definitely" Ferry. I did the same thing with Behira. I told the breeder I wanted the chillest most docile Boa you have with the best food response. He sold me Behira. I love her, she's beautiful, but I tend to go for more striking looking animals. Her looks have grown on me, especially as she has. I adore her. Best Snake Ever (BSE). However, getting my first "big" snake, temperament was priority number one. NO regrets at all there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Ok, now I get it...

When you say "I'm done acquiring new animals", that is really CODE for "I'm gonna get a bunch more in the next few weeks, watch me" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi everyone, my name is David, and I AM a REPTILEHOLIC!

Well, you only live once, and I am 38 now, with a "short" life expectancy because of immune suppression, kidney disease and transplantation, etc. All of my current reptiles are 6 or under. I have pretty much their lifespans ((for the longer living ones - pretty much everyone except maybe Figment (corn snake) and the Leopard Gecko females)) to enjoy them and I won't get a second rodeo. Even Katie said, "do it while you can." I am able to comfortably care for everyone time wise, health wise, and financially. I keep saying I am approaching my limit, but do "feel" that to be true at this point, not just "think it intellectually."

NO FAIR !!!

You know I was thinking about a PI Chewie, and there you go and get one. :(

LOL !!

He is a BEAUTY of course, I LOVE those greens and pinks. I've said it before, but if I do add another gecko, it will be a PI Chewie, with lots of pink and green, I find them gorgeous and they usually have a beautiful personality to go with it.

Big congratulations :)

First, thank you for the congrats. I really appreciate it.

Secondly, when you get one, consider talking to Steve. He knows his animals inside and out and he's top notch. I posted a review of Leapin' Leachies earlier today. PM if you want his number as I am happy to refer you.
  • 11-26-2018, 08:26 PM
    Dianne
    Congratulations on another cool addition!
  • 11-26-2018, 09:52 PM
    Jus1More
    Congrats Dakski! ... Chahoua's are very awesome to have. I really wanted to get one but they are pretty pricey where I live... anyways thanks for sharing yet another great story. And dont worry about breaking your limit. Its the passion in you that runs deep...I would be the same way if I had more room than I do (hence my screenname says it all) LOL :thumbsup: :peace:
  • 11-26-2018, 10:39 PM
    Jakethesnake69
    Quite the collection dakski, another beautiful critter. Congratulations.
  • 11-26-2018, 11:54 PM
    dakski
    We took Ferry out for a quick look over tonight.

First, WOW! He must be settling in nicely as his colors are MUCH richer and he POPS! His red/brown hues are much more noticeable and his greens are deep.

Secondly, I know these guys can leap, and be quick, and we've seen Ezzy (our Leachie) do the leaping thing (we've learned to sense when she wants to and block or make sure she's within reach of what she wants to jump to), but Ferry, on day two, is so chill. He's just a cool customer. Not that Ferry Porsche didn't design race cars, and race them, but maybe I should have named him Senna or something? He's just too calm and cool.

All kidding aside, he's got a cool personality, but a calm and collected one at that. I am sure, with time, he will continue to brighten up more, and be even more trusting and relaxed with us. So far, I couldn't be happier with Ferry.

Here's a video link to Katie holding him: https://streamable.com/fiim9

And here are some pic (iPhone pics tonight - sorry - but still - stunning):

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Zj6vJw8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/LZxO2I4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/SsSszu1.jpg[/IMG]

"Hey, you don't mind if I clean my right eye while you take that picture, do you?"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/D32osJR.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-27-2018, 12:15 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

So pushy you all are :D

Going so far as to get the animals I want and show them off...tsk tsk :rolleyes:

I need to add on a couple of rooms. Or better yet, find a bigger house :)

Ferry is living in a 16X16X20" enclosure (breeder recommend) and happily lives at room temp. I am installing a small LED light (with 12hr/12hr day/night cycle) and a small heat pad for with a thermostat set to 75F for cool nights if he wants it. Neither are necessary. You could literally stick one of these guys anywhere.

Oh, what were you saying Zina10? Something about being pushy? Anyway, as I was saying, Chewie's really don't need much.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    Awesome! Congrats Dave and Katie. I love getting previews before the general public :)

Sick name. I am a car guy myself, and when it comes to the illustrious Porsche brand I can't help but provide my abounding approval. Mazal tov!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've loved Porsche's since I was a kid, as early as I can remember. I've had a 2004 911 Turbo for ten years now (my second Porsche), affectionately referred to as The "Beast" by friends and family. Very reliable but very modified. Suspension, brakes, wheels, turbos, intercoolers, inlet hoses, boost hoses, plenum, clutch, gearbox and gears 1 and 2, etc. along with a custom tune from arguably one of the top 3 tuners in the country, if not the #1 German tuner. 685 crank HP and 720 FT/LB of torque at the crank and AWD to put it down (that's 551 Peak WHP and 592 W FT/LB - flat from 3,500 to 5,300 RPM's - 18% drivetrain loss with AWD). She runs 10 second 1/4 miles all day long and gets close to 20mpg average and is comfortable on long trips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Congratulations on another cool addition!

Thank you Dianne!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Congrats Dakski! ... Chahoua's are very awesome to have. I really wanted to get one but they are pretty pricey where I live... anyways thanks for sharing yet another great story. And dont worry about breaking your limit. Its the passion in you that runs deep...I would be the same way if I had more room than I do (hence my screenname says it all) LOL :thumbsup: :peace:

Pricey, yes. However, he totally seems worth it, and his setup was dirt cheap! I looked at it this way. He was $1,400 (which was relatively inexpensive for a Chewie - Steve sold him to me as a pet and for great demeanor not for great color and breeding, etc. and also males are much less than the females). However, his setup was $110 for a PVC tank that hold humidity really well, $90 for a years worth of logs and branches, and about $100 for about a years worth of food (not including occasional insects which I get for the leopard geckos anyway), magnetic holders for water dish and food dish, replaceable food/water dishes, a small UTH, and a small LED light strip. I have a thermostat and a light timer.

So, all in, about $1,610.

Look at Feliz, my Venezuelan Red Tail Boa/BCC. Yes, he was $600. However, his 4X2' Boaphile, decked out with heating elements, thermostat (redundant), lighting, etc. was about as much.

So the ratio of proper care for life to price of animal is vastly different. Not saying he wasn't expensive, but trying to put it into perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Quite the collection dakski, another beautiful critter. Congratulations.

Thank you, brother.
  • 11-29-2018, 12:18 AM
    dakski
  • 11-29-2018, 02:06 AM
    richardhind1972
    He really is cool Dave,I love his camouflage, you would never find him.in a forest with mossy trees that's for sure.

• 11-29-2018, 02:50 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    He really is cool Dave,I love his camouflage, you would never find him.in a forest with mossy trees that's for sure.

Lol. Try finding him in 16X16X20" tank Rich!
  • 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM
    dakski
    Well, interesting day/night regarding Ferry.

I've been giving him his powder/water gel diet daily since Sunday when we got him and also have offered Dubai 2X in a dish. No dice. He did poop 1X early on, and I saw him drink a ton, so I know he's hydrated, and I have read that they can take up to 2 weeks or so to acclimate.

Just in case, I called Steve (his breeder today) to check in. He said, yeah, give him some time and that I had a nice and big setup for him and that might take a little time for him to adjust to, etc.

I mentioned to Steve that I had offered Dubai, and would offer mealworms and supeworms and phoenix worms, and see what he favors, but really wanted to get him going on Dubai as a staple insect for 1-2X a week to supplement his gel. He said why not crickets? I said that at the show I mentioned I had leopard geckos and keep mealworms and dubai roaches in the house, as well as occasionally superworms and phoenix worms, but never mentioned crickets. I hate crickets. They smell, they make noise, etc. Also, and not unimportant, Katie absolutely and unequivocally, hates and is afraid of crickets. That's a deal breaker. NO CRICKETS ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE. It took a week of discussions and some bonding with the Kayla, Carra, and some extra love from Cleo, to allow Katie to let them move in with their food and all. Katie makes me call Dubai "beetles," but she doesn't mind them too much and will even watch the geckos eat them, as well as the mealworms. Same with the occasional wax worm. She draws the line at superworms. They can be here, but she doesn't want to know or see them.

Anyway, Steve was really busy at the show, and seemed to think I had mentioned crickets as well. I had read that Chewie's usually happily eat Dubai, mealworms, phoenix worms, etc. and usually aren't that picky. However, he's 2 1/2 and Steve tells me today that he's never seen anything but a cricket in his life insect wise. Ugh. Simple miscommunication, and Ferry isn't going anywhere, so we have to make it work. He also hasn't eaten anything yet, so I am not too discouraged.

Tonight, I offered a superworm. He was in his log and when the lights went out and I opened the tank, came down to investigate. Cool guy. He looked at at it, poked it, but had no interest. Darn it. I tried letting walk around a little and getting it to wiggle on tongs. No dice.

I took the positive which is that he's exploring and doesn't see me as a threat now. Both good things.

Anyway, I went to bed, a tiny bit discouraged, but not giving up by any means yet. At 3:30AM, I woke up with some stomach issues (I have bad indigestion about 1-2X a month that wakes me up and forces me to take some antacids and sit up for a bit). I sat at my desk in my office where Ferry is and checked on him. I look in, and sure enough, he's peaking back at me. All of a sudden, I have an epiphany. Steve said he wasn't sure if he would Dubai because they don't "move" like a cricket, when I spoke to him today. At the show, he said they love to hunt and go crazy for insects. Okay, so maybe I am doing it wrong. My leopard geckos will only eat live, but their whole lives, they've eaten out of a dish. Movement, yes, but dish, no problem. They are also ground dwellers, not hanging out in branches and in logs, etc.

What if I hand feed/put them down near him in his log, etc. and let him follow them and hunt them down? Even if a few get away, he'll either find them later, or they will die or get thrown out with the paper when I clean his tank. Absolute worst case, one gets out and dies in the house and never reproduces at 70F - another reason I keep Dubai instead of crickets! Maybe the whole Dubai dish thing isn't for him?

So, I put a few Dubai in his Dubai dish with some calcium and D3 and a reptile vitamin. I mix them up in it. I open his tank door and peek in. He's watching me. I put a dubai on my finger and put it near him at the opening of the log he's in (his favorite spot/hide). He comes down to investigate. He seems interested, but won't take the plunge. Okay. I understand, my hand can be scary.

I gently put the dubai down a few inches from him and it starts crawling up the log..........BAMMMMM! Chew, chew, chew! He nailed it. At first, I wasn't sure he liked it, but it went down and he seemed to look for more. 8 more later (they were small/medium and that's what I would expect my leopard geckos to eat in a sitting and they weigh about the same) and I said enough for now buddy. If you are still hungry, go eat your gel!

Very relieved although I do plan to occasionally offer mealworms and phoenix worms. However, super awesome he took so quickly and so well to Dubai and we don't have to worry about crickets, even temporarily, to get him going.

I have a decent sized holding container for him and I wonder if for feeding insects it makes sense to put him in their with them and let him go to town? I've seen people do that with beardies. Any thoughts? I figure it can't hurt to try.

Video link to Ferry eating Dubai 3 and 4. At about 0:40 in, the lighting gets better, and I am about to shut off the camera, and then Dubai 4, who's been hiding in the log, says, "Hey, where did my buddy go? I better go look for him up here, where I heard all that crunching and screaming." Bad move buddy: https://streamable.com/veojo

"Dad? Do you have anymore of those D-U-B-A-I things? They were tasty!"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/0Fzn3Cv.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11-30-2018, 10:22 AM
    zina10
    I'm with you there on Crickets. I hate them. They are nasty and disgusting and stinky and they die very easily, just gross..ugh.

But yeah, the thing with Dubais is that they don't really trigger the hunt. They freeze and pretend not to be there. I put Smeagol in a little critter keeper with a few dusted Dubais. Because he would never find them in his busy enclosure.

He knew the routine and would hop on my hand (the food elevator) as soon as I opened the door. The first couple of Dubais would move and get eaten. Then they got smart and froze. I felt bad about it but every so often I would nudge a Dubai to get it to move, so he would hunt and eat it..

Sometimes they crawled all over and on top of Smeagol and he would just sit there, LOL.

But yeah, putting the Dubais in a food dish didn't work for me either. They didn't move around enough.

Smeagold loved Black Soldier Larvae worms, and unlike Super or Meal worms, they are soft. They don't move much either, though, but he would take them off of little tweezers.
    I'm not sure about Chewie's but I could swear that one isn't supposed to be feed supers and meal worms due to the hard body? But maybe I remember wrong, but I never fed them.

The gut loaded and dusted Dubais were Smeagols favorite and he grew quickly on them. Eventually he actually started to prefer his Crested Gecko Diet and at the moment he still does. He will take the occasional Dubai, but mostly ignore them. Since he is very big already (going on 50 gr at his relative young age) I let him choose what he wants and don't stress over it. He only has about 14 diff. kinds and flavors of CGD to choose from, LOL !!!

Taking a while to eat at a new place is absolutely normal. Sometimes takes 2 to 3 weeks. So no worries there...

I bet he is nice and full right now, though, LOL
  • 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM
    dakski
    Zina10,

I am not 100% sure on crested gecko diets, but Leachies, for example, can happily eat powder/water gel diet and be happy and get all the nutrition they need. They can and will eat insects and even rodents, but do not need them.

From what Steve told me and what I have read, Chewies really need insects as part of their diet. They need a good insect meal 1-2X a week and eat the powder/water gel mix the rest of the time. Even as adults they eat every night or every other night and are pretty active. Adult leachies, for comparison, eat every 3-4 days, but Ezzy cleans her bowl out often, not every time, but often.

Crickets and Dubai Roaches can be staples, with mealworms occasionally, as well as phoenix worms (high in calcium) and very occasionally wax worms and other junk. Haven't heard anything negative or positive on Superworms. 2 of my 3 leopard geckos go ape for them, but one doesn't care for them (Kayla). Steve said it couldn't hurt to try. They are much lower in chitin than mealworms so I didn't think it would hurt. Either way, no dice, so it doesn't matter.

I will definitely try the feeding in his holding container thing.

Edit: One other thing. I bought this book on Amazon and it appears to be the best book on Rhacodactylus out there. However, it's not in print anymore and is currently over $500! I didn't pay anywhere near that over a month ago. WOW.

https://www.amazon.com/Rhacodactylus...ctober%2C+2003

Might want to keep an eye on it and see if it comes down anytime soon. I also found some good sites with info on chewies if you are interested. I can post here, or PM me if/when you are serious about getting one. You cannot go wrong. I am amazed at how outgoing Ferry is getting. Last night, when I opened the door to offer the superworm, he came down his log and I held my hand out, he crawled on it and checked me out, then went back on his log, but didn't run away. Vast difference from several days ago. Ezzy, although cool and calm and curious when out, would never do that! Not knocking her, just different personalities. He's going to be really cool.
  • 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Zina10,

I am not 100% sure on crested gecko diets, but Leachies, for example, can happily eat powder/water gel diet and be happy and get all the nutrition they need. They can and will eat insects and even rodents, but do not need them.

From what Steve told me and what I have read, Chewies really need insects as part of their diet. They need a good insect meal 1-2X a week and eat the powder/water gel mix the rest of the time. Even as adults they eat every night or every other night and are pretty active. Adult leachies, for comparison, eat every 3-4 days, but Ezzy cleans her bowl out often, not every time, but often.

Crickets and Dubai Roaches can be staples, with mealworms occasionally, as well as phoenix worms (high in calcium) and very occasionally wax worms and other junk. Haven't heard anything negative or positive on Superworms. 2 of my 3 leopard geckos go ape for them, but one doesn't care for them (Kayla). Steve said it couldn't hurt to try. They are much lower in chitin than mealworms so I didn't think it would hurt. Either way, no dice, so it doesn't matter.

I will definitely try the feeding in his holding container thing.

Edit: One other thing. I bought this book on Amazon and it appears to be the best book on Rhacodactylus out there. However, it's not in print anymore and is currently over $500! I didn't pay anywhere near that over a month ago. WOW.

https://www.amazon.com/Rhacodactylus...ctober%2C+2003

Might want to keep an eye on it and see if it comes down anytime soon. I also found some good sites with info on chewies if you are interested. I can post here, or PM me if/when you are serious about getting one. You cannot go wrong. I am amazed at how outgoing Ferry is getting. Last night, when I opened the door to offer the superworm, he came down his log and I held my hand out, he crawled on it and checked me out, then went back on his log, but didn't run away. Vast difference from several days ago. Ezzy, although cool and calm and curious when out, would never do that! Not knocking her, just different personalities. He's going to be really cool.

Sounds like you got a curious/friendly one :) I love that about Smeagol, too. Something so cool about holding the hand out and they crawl or hop on :D
  • 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Sounds like you got a curious/friendly one :) I love that about Smeagol, too. Something so cool about holding the hand out and they crawl or hop on :D

Yeah, it's awesome! I have yet to get Shayna (my BP) to slither on to my hand when I offer it.

I must be doing something wrong with her.

:sarcasm:
  • 11-30-2018, 03:56 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

Yeah, it's awesome! I have yet to get Shayna (my BP) to slither on to my hand when I offer it.

I must be doing something wrong with her.

:sarcasm:

Oh, you are just doing it wrong !!!

Make your hand a bit more inviting !!! Rub a nice stinky mouse all over it and then hold it out to her. She will grab your hand and even hug it a bit :) A little love nip included :rofl:
  • 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

I have a decent sized holding container for him and I wonder if for feeding insects it makes sense to put him in their with them and let him go to town? I've seen people do that with beardies. Any thoughts? I figure it can't hurt to try.
    Here is what I have done with mine since he was little (now he is a full grown adult) I have a 4.75 inch ceramic bowl like this https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-st...Bowls%20Diners and put a few dusted Dubias in it and it and put it down in it's enclosure, soon as he sees that dish he know what that mean goes down and eat what he want and usually finish up the rest late., I do the same for my Garg which are lazy hunters to start with and usually do not care about bugs, but mine does so long they are contained and the dish cannot be tipped over.
  • 11-30-2018, 05:07 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Here is what I have done with mine since he was little (now he is a full grown adult) I have a 4.75 inch ceramic bowl like this https://www.chewy.com/ethical-pet-st...Bowls%20Diners and put a few dusted Dubias in it and it and put it down in it's enclosure, soon as he sees that dish he know what that mean goes down and eat what he want and usually finish up the rest late., I do the same for my Garg which are lazy hunters to start with and usually do not care about bugs, but mine does so long they are contained and the dish cannot be tipped over.

Thanks Deborah!

I had totally forgotten about Chewbacca!

How long have you had him? How old is he? Do you LOVE him? So far I think Ferry is the B-O-M-B! So much personality.
  • 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Thanks Deborah!

I had totally forgotten about Chewbacca!

How long have you had him? How old is he? Do you LOVE him? So far I think Ferry is the B-O-M-B! So much personality.

I actually have had him since he was about 3 months old got him last year in August. I ADORE him so do I adore my other boys.

Chewie is the sweet one
    Groot my Garg is the spawn of evil and I love him for that.
    Mr Wrinkly my Leachie is sweet but he also knows when he has enough and can show some attitude even at such a young age.
  • 12-01-2018, 01:12 AM
    dakski
    I had to install some Exoterra (waterproof) Mossy Vines in Ferry's enclosure tonight (more on that in a moment), and he ate last night, and was rather social, so I decided we would do a little bonding tonight as well.

After his light went off, I kept one light in the room on, a small lamp, but kept the main light off, and the bright lamp off, and I took him out. He was a little active, but I put him right into his holding container anyway to install the vines.

Once installed, I took him out, and again he was active for a minute, climbing up my arm, and looked like he wanted to jump, etc. I did what I do with Ezzy in that instance; I block and distract. I got him to walk from hand to hand for a minute and sat down in my office chair (his tank is in my home office - he's my office buddy). He got comfortable and literally sat in the position in the pictures below, for 15 minutes. He let me rub his back, adjust my hands, touch his tail, whatever. He was comfy and he seems to realize, I am not going to hurt him. I think he's also beginning to realize I feed him. Finally, after 15 minutes, I started to get tired, and I put him back in his newly designed digs (see below).

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/CDfvzRx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/PaxZpKu.jpg[/IMG]

I have 2 hollow logs and 2 flat pieces of bark for Ferry. I plan to rotate one of each (have two pieces in at a time - one log and one bark piece) weekly, which will give me a week to brush and F10 the other pieces, rinse them with water, and let them dry. We do the same thing with Ezzy. She has multiple/redundant pieces as well. It also allows me to slightly change the decor of the tank and keep in interesting.

To add a little height, and because Chewie's like wrapping around smaller branches and vines, and using their prehensile tail, etc. I bought these Exoterra Mossy Vines and Jungle Vines (similar but slightly different texture and color). They are waterproof and can be cleaned the same way as the bark (I got multiples of these as well). They are flexible, but also pretty stiff. The tank he is in, a 16X16X20" PM Herp Tank without a screen top (better to keep the humidity in) has small vent slits in the back, and on the sides.

I put a zip tie on each side to run the vine through and add support and then used the real bark and log and also looped the vine over itself as well. This adds height and different size and texture for him to climb. He's only about 60G and although it might flex a little, should support him fine. If not, I also bought the large versions in case (this is the small). However, I've heard that he should prefer this size. I'll advise.

Links:

http://pmherps.com/cagenew.html

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/jungle_vines.php

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/moss_vine.php

Okay, looking at the pictures, I realize I can double over and twist the vines to give more integrity. I may do that and advise.

In the meantime, here's a picture of what the tank looks like now. Can you find Ferry? If so, how quickly did you find him?

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FQtQXC1.jpg[/IMG]
  • 12-01-2018, 01:27 AM
    Bogertophis
    Aww, he's so cute! He's really seems to trust you already. (don't worry, we won't tell him any different, :rofl:)

And I saw him at the top right away, but then again, I used to live with Tokays. ;) He sure does blend in though.
  • 12-01-2018, 11:50 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Aww, he's so cute! He's really seems to trust you already. (don't worry, we won't tell him any different, :rofl:)

And I saw him at the top right away, but then again, I used to live with Tokays. ;) He sure does blend in though.

Please don't tell him anything bad about me Bogertophis! I'll do anything! :O

It's bad enough the other animals are talking to him!

Seriously, trust me, this dude is cool as the other side of the pillow. He's settling in really nicely.

He ate his Dubai, now he needs to eat his Chewie Food/Gel/Goo. I gave him nothing last night and mixed up a nice bowl of it tonight. I hope to see some of it gone in the morning.
  • 12-01-2018, 11:54 PM
    dakski
    My mother met Ferry today for the first time. She adored him. She loved his markings and thought he was both very calm and cool and very beautiful. She even watched the video of him eating the Dubai.

However, being the softie she is, when I joked about the Dubai who came out the bark of the log, "looking for his friend after he heard the screaming and chewing," she asked if they really screamed and if they suffered?

I had to explain that I love all living creatures, but that all animals need to eat and that he won't eat dead bugs, and neither will the leopard geckos. However, the insects die very quickly and barely suffer, and NO, they do no scream!

She seemed okay with that and ultimately thought it was kind of cute the way he lunged at them and ate them (I prefer the term devoured them, but I didn't say that to her).

​"Hi Grandma!"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/BvdVcXu.jpg[/IMG]
  • 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM
    dakski
    It's hard to tell if Ferry's been eating his gel food because the bowl is pretty big and he's pretty small. I think he knows where it is and today I had him out for a minute and showed it to him putting him back. He took quite a few licks, I think to humor me, and then went back in his tank.

Either way, I'll offer some Dubai tonight.

Here are some more pictures:

Ferry saying "Good Morning! I mean Good Evening!"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/mWoXgrV.jpg[/IMG]
    Ferry trying out the vines:

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/pIsuHvV.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/nDEekmH.jpg[/IMG]
  • 12-04-2018, 01:03 PM
    dakski
    A few updates on Ferry.

I tried feeding Dubai last night and although interested, he was on his vine (more on that in a minute) and I put the Dubai on the branch next to him and they were gone into, around, or fell off, it before he even had a chance to react :(.

I hope he found some later, but if not in or on his log, I'll either put him there, or offer in a container as discussed in a previous post.

Secondly, he found the vines. He loves the vines. Apparently Chewies like smaller branches/vines that they can wrap their prehensile tail and arms around and kind of hug. I don't think he realizes I can see him, especially with the white tank as a background, but I am not going to tell him.

Finally, he's getting very social after the lights go out.

Last night, a few minutes after his light went out, he was at the tank door looking out. I opened the door and held out my hand, he waited a few seconds, checked things out, then walked right onto my hand/arm. We walked around a bit and said goodnight to momma who was already in bed.

Then I put him back. 1 minute later, he's back at the front of the tank again. Picture below.

Vines are fun! "You can't see me Dad!"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/fpiZLLC.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ptE6vLQ.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/2FKCSAL.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/2z3pGUD.jpg[/IMG]

"Dad! I know we just played, but can we do that again? It was fun! I just woke up! Did you know that? It's nighttime. Nighttime is
    playtime! Dad? Where are you going? Oh, Don't go to sleep!"

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Y9LAYrB.jpg[/IMG]
  • 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM
    zina10
    Haha, that is what Smeagol does.

They are demanding little critters, aren't they ???

I swear they rap their little knuckles on the door...HELLO...ANYONE...LET ME OUT. NOW!
  • 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM
    richardhind1972
    That is pretty cute

• 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
    Bogertophis
    I would try putting the Dubai* into a bowl they cannot climb out of (*they don't fly, do they? some roaches do...) & put the bowl under his vine where he
    can see it from his "perch". This way they won't get "lost" in the cage, hopefully? They'll move around in a bowl & I'm betting he'll hear them and investi-
    gate, especially at night.
  • 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

I would try putting the Dubai* into a bowl they cannot climb out of (*they don't fly, do they? some roaches do...) & put the bowl under his vine where he
    can see it from his "perch". This way they won't get "lost" in the cage, hopefully? They'll move around in a bowl & I'm betting he'll hear them and investi-
    gate, especially at night.

Yeah, already tried that. No interest. He wants to hunt them. Does not associate the bowl with food even if the Dubai are in them. If they are walking on a log, it's FOOD TIME!
  • 12-04-2018, 10:15 PM
    zina10
    The only way Smeagol ate his Dubias were in a little Feeding Container. Just a Critter keeper.

When I brought it near his cage he already got excited. I would open the door, he eagerly hopped on my hand (elevator) and off he went into the critter keeper, going after Dubia's. After the first 3 or 4 though, he would only be interested if they moved . And they didn't, they froze, LOL.
  • 12-04-2018, 10:19 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

The only way Smeagol ate his Dubias were in a little Feeding Container. Just a Critter keeper.

When I brought it near his cage he already got excited. I would open the door, he eagerly hopped on my hand (elevator) and off he went into the critter keeper, going after Dubia's. After the first 3 or 4 though, he would only be interested if they moved . And they didn't, they froze, LOL.

Thanks Zina10! That's the next step!
  • 12-04-2018, 11:06 PM
    zina10
  • 12-04-2018, 11:15 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Awwwww, so cute.

I was talking about the "elevator."

Seriously, Smeagol has to be one of the cutest animals on this site. Both looks and behavior.

He rocks. Ferry has a tough act to follow.
  • 12-04-2018, 11:20 PM
    zina10
    Quote:

Awwwww, so cute.

I was talking about the "elevator."

Seriously, Smeagol has to be one of the cutest animals on this site. Both looks and behavior.

He rocks. Ferry has a tough act to follow.

Aw, thank you !!

I think it basically has to do that he sees everything around him all the time, so he is used to it all. And he had a calm personality from the get go.

He isn't always so outgoing either. He isn't scared, but when he doesn't feel like coming out he will swivel his eyeball to me as if to say.."nah", then turn his head slowly away and wander off...LOL.
  • 12-04-2018, 11:39 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Aw, thank you !!

I think it basically has to do that he sees everything around him all the time, so he is used to it all. And he had a calm personality from the get go.

He isn't always so outgoing either. He isn't scared, but when he doesn't feel like coming out he will swivel his eyeball to me as if to say.."nah", then turn his head slowly away and wander off...LOL.

It’s amazing how expressive these guys are.

Katie had her first “momma, take me out so I can play,” moment with Ferry tonight. It was priceless and so cute. They are bonding and learning to trust each other.

Also, 5 minutes back in the tank he was head deep in gecko food gel. YUM!
  • 12-05-2018, 11:34 PM
    dakski
    Well, Ferry is definitely getting more adventurous and friendly. However, we are still working on the Dubai thing.

I tried in a container tonight and had zero luck.

Then I put him back in his enclosure and he was interested, but if he didn't lunge quick enough and they got away, he lost his opportunity. Additionally, if he got distracted by one, while the other was near him, oh well. He also is learning that I put them in and gets more interested in me!

Much to learn. He might have gotten 1/9 and I am hoping he finds some tonight.

We will try again another night.
  • 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM
    dakski
    I did a full cage cleaning today and changed Ferry's logs, etc.

Over the past week, I have offered 18 Dubai roaches and 2 Superworms.

I found 6 Dubai and 1 Superworm. I guess he's been eating them when I am not looking. Works for me. If he wants to hunt and night without me watching, I have no problem with that.

He's also been eating his gel food, and I cleaned up plenty of Chewie poop, so it's all good in the Chewie Hood.

He's settled in nice and is just the sweetest thing. We are developing a nighttime ritual where he comes to the door around 11PM and begs to come out and play. I open the door, put my hand out and, and he walks onto it and we walk around a bit. Then he goes back and apparently hunts.

Here's a picture of him from today (with my friend holding him). He's really brightening up and his colors seem to as rich as ever. I think he's pretty happy.

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/1Y7OlOP.jpg[/IMG]
  • 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

I did a full cage cleaning today and changed Ferry's logs, etc.

Over the past week, I have offered 18 Dubai roaches and 2 Superworms.

I found 6 Dubai and 1 Superworm. I guess he's been eating them when I am not looking. Works for me. If he wants to hunt and night without me watching, I have no problem with that.

He's also been eating his gel food, and I cleaned up plenty of Chewie poop, so it's all good in the Chewie Hood.

He's settled in nice and is just the sweetest thing. We are developing a nighttime ritual where he comes to the door around 11PM and begs to come out and play. I open the door, put my hand out and, and he walks onto it and we walk around a bit. Then he goes back and apparently hunts.

Here's a picture of him from today (with my friend holding him). He's really brightening up and his colors seem to as rich as ever. I think he's pretty happy.

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/1Y7OlOP.jpg[/IMG]

stunning addition!!!
  • 12-11-2018, 01:12 AM
    dakski
    Ferry is just too darn cute. His nightly ritual is killing me.

First of all, he's gotten more active when I take him out at night. He begs, calmly, to come out, with those big Chewie eyes. Then I take him out and it's run up my arm, around my neck and shoulders, down the other arm, hand over hand, up the arm, down the other arm, etc.

After a few minutes of this and and down the back and around the chest, etc. He calms down and is sweet as pie. Of course, if I take him out during the day to say hello, he's just the calm the part. However, does he beg to come out and play during the day? NO! He only begs when HE wants to play!

Secondly, I think he's really comfortable and settled. He's eating his bugs and his gel. He's all over his tank. Also, his colors are super rich and he's a handsome guy.

I have video and pictures below.

Finally, it's gotten a little chilly in the house here as it's almost winter here in Connecticut, USA. Just in case you didn't know it wasn't winter, the weather could have fooled me! It's dry and very cold. Teens at night.

Anyway, Ezzy (Leachie) has been less active, but still eating, and it's been high 60's at night and lows 70's during the day. Rhacodactylus like it about 72-77F. Over 80F is too hot for comfort and over 85F can be lethal. Colder is better as they can adjust and just slow their bodies and metabolisms down.

I called Steve from Leapin' Leachies today and he said not to worry about it getting too cold. He gets his Leachies down to 55F in the winter and they barely eat, but it's good for them and gets them ready to breed.

I asked about getting a better tank, with better insulation and an RHP, and also, maybe a little bigger, for both Ferry and Ezzy (maybe stacked) and he said that would be fine, but act actually cooling them down a little in the winter is a good thing. He emphasized what I already knew, which is that humidity is key and way more important than temps with these guys. Humidity must always be over 55% and 65%-75% is the sweet spot. Too low causes issues and fast.

So, I called Jeff Ronne at Boaphile Plastics, as he has a newish line of arboreal tanks and is building one for Yafe as we speak.

They have PVC pipe(s) going across them, but they can removed or not put in, but they are taller and come in different sizes than the main cages he's made for years and are 3X2' plus.

He makes a tank size that would be perfect for both Ezzy and Ferry and we could stack them, with an RHP (very small RHP - never need to get over 77F in a room that would never be below 66-67F and when that cold, would be set to 72F - more on that in a second), and use on thermostat for both tanks.

We spoke at length today and I asked him about his 2FT wide X 1.5FT deep X 2FT high tank. I think that would be perfect. Ezzy is currently in a 20"X20"X20" and Ferry is in a 16"X16"X20".

Then Jeff blew my mind a little and said, you can also get any size tank and put it on it's side. So, I could get 2'X2'1.5', but put it on it's side, and I have a side opening door instead of a top to bottom opening door, and the tank would be 2FT tall, 2FT deep, and 1 1/2 feet wide. Either way, it sounds pretty cool, and we could stack them pretty easy, either in my office, Katie's office, or in the reptile area, and then everyone would be in one place. That takes the fun out of having them in our offices, but makes things a little easier in other ways. 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another.

I could keep the tanks 72F at the top/near the RHP in the winter (probably 68-70F below and ambient) and 77F in the summer (probably 73-74F ambient).

Anyway, food for thought. I brought it up with Katie, but she was tired, and we didn't go over pictures etc.

I'll update on that another day.

In the meantime, here are two videos of the Epic Cuteness that is Ferry, as well as a few pictures. Enjoy!

Video link to "Come out and play!" https://streamable.com/ncr5n

Video link to "Chill Ferry." https://streamable.com/dmkn4

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/fb72l7c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/rL1Jy0G.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/NiqwGwq.jpg[/IMG]