Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,616

0 members and 2,616 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
  • 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
    JLC
    Something New! Introducing the Quarantine Room
    This will also be a forum hidden from view of the general public. HOWever...ANYone who wishes to view/participate may do so simply by sending any admin (JLC, rabernet, mlededee, Nate) a PM and letting them know. (Those of you who could already see Night Drop will be seeing the Quarantine now because the permissions are already set.)

What is the purpose of such a forum? Well, I'm glad you asked! :P

How often have people complained about threads being locked in the middle of a "good" discussion? Or threads being "deleted" for reasons not apparent to the average reader? How often do our members get a bit carried away with their passion for a particular point of argument? ....every once in a while... ;)

Some fret that such uncontrolled discussions and thread-hijackings create a hostile atmosphere for the new hobbyist that are drawn to our Site. And others fret about the lack of freedom of expression when such threads/discussions are shut down.

It is our hope that the Quarantine Room will be a viable compromise for both sides of this issue. Instead of locking threads or deleting them...they will be moved into the QT Room where the discussion can continue unhindered. OR, if an otherwise useful thread spirals out of control with poor horse-beating arguments...the thread can be split...and the horse-beaters can carry on in the QT Room while the original thread remains available for public consumption.

In such a case, the original thread may be locked temporarily for the maintenance needed to do the split...and then a new post will be added by the moderator with a link to the split thread in QR for anyone wishing to continue participating in that particular line of argument.

And of course, the QT Room is open for new threads to be started there if the poster believes the subject to be particularly touchy.

This forum will be only lightly moderated (Please read the sticky at the top of that forum for QT Rules of Engagement)...so reader beware. Members choosing to participate must be able to "stand on their own two feet" and expect little to no intervention from staff. However, it is NOT a "free-for-all." Please realize that all members of all ages may view your words and actions there...and the staff WILL be watching and will not allow any egregious infractions of the Site Rules/TOS.

SO...there ya go! We're as quick as we can be with setting permissions...but please be patient if we're not online.
  • 03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
    JLC
    Re: Something New!
    PS ... For anyone newly getting permission and can't find it....it's a subforum under "Off Topic." (Should be right beside Creative Corner)
  • 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
    Laooda
    :8: LOL! Ignore your PM! :P
  • 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Laooda
    :8: LOL! Ignore your PM! :P

LOL...too late! But you can ignore mine! :P
  • 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
    daniel1983
    Looks great Judy. Thanks for putting in the extra work. I am almost sure this new forum will be more of a success than the previous one....don't know why we couldn't think of this the first time around ;)
  • 03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel1983
    Looks great Judy. Thanks for putting in the extra work. I am almost sure this new forum will be more of a success than the previous one....don't know why we couldn't think of this the first time around ;)

Thanks Daniel! I dunno why either...but all things in their time, I guess. ;)
  • 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
    JLC
    Just givin' this a little bump for our evening members... ;)
  • 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
    slartibartfast
    Very intriguing...I do have one question though.

In the first paragraph, it says that only members of the group will be able to see it at all, but in the last paragraph, it says all members will be able to see any post there.

What am I missing? *headscratch*
  • 03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
    rabernet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    Very intriguing...I do have one question though.

In the first paragraph, it says that only members of the group will be able to see it at all, but in the last paragraph, it says all members will be able to see any post there.

Not all members will choose to ask Judy for access to the group, so only those that ask will be able to see the forum.

HOWEVER, all members are able to join if they choose to.

Hope that helps.
  • 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slartibartfast

Meaning that any member COULD be in there. It's not an 18+ age limit or anything like that. Anyone who asks to be let in will be.

The only reason it's "hidden" at all is to keep the ugliness behind the curtain, so to speak. And because of that, permission must be granted in order to see it. Not everyone will want to...so folks should ask first.
  • 03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
    Nate
    I believe one of the major flaws with Night Drop was the fact that it was mentioned once in one thread and those who wanted access gained access and it was never spoken of again. People who registered had no idea of its existence, and long term members who may have come back may not have known of its existence.

What makes this forum any different? how will people know of it's existence if it's behind closed doors and they have to seek it to know about it. What about hiding it from unregistered users and then making it available to registered users, or even users who have been active for x amount of days?

Quote:

And because of that, permission must be granted in order to see it. Not everyone will want to...so folks should ask first.
    Putting it in its own section solves that problem. if people don't want to see the ugliness, the answer is simple...don't go in the forum!
  • 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanledet

What makes this forum any different? how will people know of it's existence if it's behind closed doors and they have to seek it to know about it.

All good points. However, this one will be noted anytime a thread is split and moved into it. A link will be provided. I can also sticky this thread or turn it into a permanent announcement...we'll see. For now, though...there are no plans for any more major renovations. Let's let it run for awhile and see how things go. ;)
  • 03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
    Blu Mongoose
    that type of forum I feel it shouldn't be open to under eighteen. Little much in my eyes.
  • 03-07-2007, 10:58 PM
    stangs13
    :(

I like the fiestyness. That is always a fun part! Don't take it away!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    that type of forum I feel it shouldn't be open to under eighteen. Little much in my eyes.

• 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
    Entropy
    Yes, but we do have to remember the parents that might not like their children viewing such 'fiestyness'.
  • 03-16-2007, 09:26 AM
    ctrlfreq
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel1983

I would point out where I recommended this idea, and pointed out the shortcomings of the "here for a year" camp ideas, but the thread "A very special announcement" seems to have gone missing.
  • 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
    SarahMB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy
    Yes, but we do have to remember the parents that might not like their children viewing such 'fiestyness'.

Here's a crazy idea....let the parents make that decision and then do the parenting themselves.
  • 03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
    iceman25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlfreq
    I would point out where I recommended this idea, and pointed out the shortcomings of the "here for a year" camp ideas, but the thread "A very special announcement" seems to have gone missing.

Yes that particular thread and forum were pulled after much discussion amongst staff members. And thank you for any valuable input you and other members may have regarding site policies. It's appreciated. :)
  • 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
    joyful girl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose

I agree
    Example, the Orgasm thread that was just closed. There was nothing in that tread that was obscene but since there was someone underage reading and posting it was closed. I'd personally like to see one section that doesn't have to cater to minors so heavily.
  • 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joyful girl

I agree
    Example, the Orgasm thread that was just closed. There was nothing in that tread that was obscene but since there was someone underage reading and posting it was closed. I'd personally like to see one section that doesn't have to cater to minors so heavily.

I dont agree with it being closed at all. It didn't contain anything so offensive that it should have even been touched. Judy said that moderating would be loose on that forum. I don't get it at all...Seems to be more heavy handed moderating than promised.
  • 03-16-2007, 10:56 AM
    ctrlfreq
    LOL, I have two negative rep points that say otherwise ;)

I think I over-estimated how long it would take to be opened up though (I guessed six months).
  • 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

LOL, I have two negative rep points that say otherwise ;)

I think I over-estimated how long it would take to be opened up though (I guessed six months).

Negative rep for what? I'm sure they are unsigned as well...
  • 03-16-2007, 10:58 AM
    ctrlfreq
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jglass38
    Negative rep for what? I'm sure they are unsigned as well...

LOL, no, you signed one of them
  • 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

LOL, no, you signed one of them

I negative repped you recently? I recall doing it months ago.
  • 03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
    ctrlfreq
    Quote:

I negative repped you recently? I recall doing it months ago.

It was, I was talking about the thread from november when we were talking about the creation of the night drop.
  • 03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
    joyful girl
    Quote:

I dont agree with it being closed at all. It didn't contain anything so offensive that it should have even been touched. Judy said that moderating would be loose on that forum. I don't get it at all...Seems to be more heavy handed moderating than promised.

indeed
  • 03-16-2007, 11:03 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

It was, I was talking about the thread from november when we were talking about the creation of the night drop.

Just trying to make sure nobody is neg repping and signing my name. Not like that hasn't happened on the site before. If I neg repped you in November than I probably had a good reason, at least in my mind :D
  • 03-16-2007, 11:24 AM
    tmlowe5704
    Kim's thread was something humanly natural (men wish we could help a little more) but do you think that minor never heard of an O before now? I have a feeling I know who the minor was. Why not have a minor's form for parents to sign and fax over?
  • 03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
    SarahMB
    I'm not trying to anger anyone, but it has been my experience that an adult area has been suggested several times, with the mod response always being that they have discussed it and decided against it. I really don't see the point in the QR, seems like just another OT folder to me.

But hey, at least we have Wednesday nights to look forward to!
  • 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM
    jglass38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahMB
    I'm not trying to anger anyone, but it has been my experience that an adult area has been suggested several times, with the mod response always being that they have discussed it and decided against it. I really don't see the point in the QR, seems like just another OT folder to me.

But hey, at least we have Wednesday nights to look forward to!

I agree on all counts. Wednesday nights rock!
  • 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM
    Freakie_frog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    Kim's thread was something humanly natural (men wish we could help a little more) but do you think that minor never heard of an O before now? I have a feeling I know who the minor was.

Regardless of whether or not they have its our responsibility as adults and young adults to watch our step. Iceman did a good job of stopping a crap storm that could have gotten offensive in one post.
  • 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
    iceman25
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, thoughts and ideas. Everything thing is given reasonable consideration when shaping forum policy past, present and in the future. Once again thanks for the comments and please don't hesitate to contact us via pm-s should you have any questions or concerns.
  • 03-16-2007, 03:10 PM
    tmlowe5704
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    Regardless of whether or not they have its our responsibility as adults and young adults to watch our step. Iceman did a good job of stopping a crap storm that could have gotten offensive in one post.

Hence why I suggest minors get a parental consent form
  • 03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
    Freakie_frog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    Hence why I suggest minors get a parental consent form

I'd hate to have to be the one to keep up with all that.
  • 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
    Ginevive
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joyful girl
    I'd personally like to see one section that doesn't have to cater to minors so heavily.

I agree. The horse forum that I frequent has an Over 18 section; it is not for the purposes of dirty jokes, etc.. it is more for mature topics.. it works out awesomely.