Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,449

4 members and 2,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,767
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
  • 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM
    Nixon
    EMERGENCY | My Ball Python's Scales Just Split
    This is Dave. Abused for years by two different owners, he's been starved. I've taken him in and have been treating him as best as I can and he started shedding. I was using a damp cloth and I had wrapped it around him to help him get shed off easier. I've noticed his scales were very loose but I thought that was because of the shedding, but they're still loose. They're so loose and weak, it tore. This wasn't the first time. A mouse bit him and it tore but it was only a little and I cleansed it. It hasn't healed and it's been a weak.

Just now part of his neck has split open. The vet isn't open and I don't know if we can get an appointment tomorrow.

I don't know what to do. I didn't know their scales could weaken and do this. Should I use my dilated antiseptic? Please, I just want him to live. I wanted him to live for a couple years in a happy place where he had lots of food and a clean cage. He's eight or ten years old and I don't want it to end now.

http://i64.tinypic.com/5wh45w.jpg

I don't know what to even look up for this... and my mom doesn't seem to care. Is there anything I can do?
  • 03-22-2016, 08:11 PM
    gameonpython
    Re: EMERGENCY | My Ball Python's Scales Just Split
    Do you notice any pus, blood, or liquid in the torn area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM
    Nixon
    There is a clear liquid and some blood but not much.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:21 PM
    ECechoHO
    *****VERY SAD***** but for me i would treat MY situation like this:: let mother nature take over.. I would get the cleanest area i can find and keep him in there and let mother nature take it....(but that's just me<---lol)
  • 03-22-2016, 08:22 PM
    Nixon
    You sound a lot like my mother.

Though I see a fighting spirit in him.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:23 PM
    T_Sauer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    There is a clear liquid and some blood but not much.

I can't offer advice on treatment other than a vet asap .... but I do know that you don't want to take a chance at anything getting in the wound so you should switch the substrate to papertowls until you get it figured out
  • 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM
    T_Sauer
    What are you keeping him in and what is your set up? What kind of hide is being used, it there anything at all that could have cut him? (Like he could have crawled under, in/out of that he may have sliced himself?
  • 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM
    Nixon
    On it.

EDIT: I keep him in a twenty gallon long tank. I have two log for him to hide him and I know those didn't cut him.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:32 PM
    Crowfingers
    Get him to a vet ASAP. When you call, explain the wound, don't just "my snake has a cut". Most (good) vets will at least work you in - even if it means sitting in the waiting room for a while.

Waiting a week potentially has already let infection set in. It might not be bad enough to form pus and smell bad, but that does not mean that it isn't brewing. Snakes are tough creatures by design, but if his skin splits so easily there may be a much bigger issue going on. While his immune system and "mother nature" may be enough to get the wound healed he will be much more susceptible to other illness while he is trying to heal.The clear fluid coming out is serum, just like in our own skin, and as that leaves his body, he dehydrates. Essentially a wound like that is acting like a wick for the moisture in his body and letting it evaporate.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:35 PM
    cristacake
    EMERGENCY | My Ball Python's Scales Just Split
    I may be jumping the gun here, but... Slipped skin disease, perhaps? I hope it's not, and that he can be treated. There's information on the condition on the Aussie Python forums, though, and I think it's worth a look.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:39 PM
    Nixon
    The problem is I can't get him in as fast as I want to. I hope he can get in tomorrow but the vet is closed for tonight and they don't take late night calls.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:41 PM
    Yodawagon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECechoHO View Post
    *****VERY SAD***** but for me i would treat MY situation like this:: let mother nature take over.. I would get the cleanest area i can find and keep him in there and let mother nature take it....(but that's just me<---lol)

Not helpful. If that's what he wanted to do, he would not have posted looking for help.

Call around in the morning and get him looked at. Keep him ultra clean clean clean til then.

- - - Updated - - -

What about an emergency vet?
  • 03-22-2016, 08:46 PM
    Nixon
    I will. I got him in his clean tank with paper towels. I removed his decorations so he couldn't hurt himself more and put a clump of paper towels in for him to hide in. His water bowl is smooth, luckily. Moments like these I wish I didn't have just a permit and could drive there myself.
  • 03-22-2016, 08:48 PM
    cristacake
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Good idea giving him paper towel hides, that should definitely prevent any further lesions from opening up
  • 03-22-2016, 09:21 PM
    wolfy-hound
    I suggest the slipped skin disease too. I don't think that's a cut, but some sort of disorer with his skin overall. What I've read online seems to suggest its related to poor nutrition/starvation cases and its rare.
  • 03-22-2016, 11:03 PM
    bcr229
    What kind of heat are you using? If your snake is in a tank with an overhead lamp he's probably not humid enough, which will also make his skin crack - and you said he was having a bad shed to boot. There are a lot of ways to bump up his humidity. If you're dead set on keeping the tank then I would suggest replacing the heat lamp with a UTH and thermostat, cover the top mesh screen with aluminum foil or Glad Press n Seal, and add a damp sponge to his tank (see http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...idity-solution and http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...umidity-issues) so that he can stay humid without lying on sopping wet paper towels.

I wouldn't use Neosporin on that since the scales may be compromised. I would use either use straight Vetericyn (available at Petco or amazon.com) or betadine diluted and sprayed onto the affected area to disinfect it.

If he's eating for you I would suggest offering two smaller feeders instead of a big one. For instance, if he's on small rats now, offer 2 25-30 gram weanlings, so as not to stretch the skin further and potentially widen the split.
  • 03-23-2016, 05:19 AM
    Kokorobosoi
    Oh my goodness that is so sad.

youve gotten a lot of good advice, I can't add anything else...

But where are you? If you are in jersey my husband would come get you after work today, or perhaps if my father in law agrees we can come this afternoon. I don't meet internet people alone, but we would help if we can. If not jersey, perhaps someone else may be willing to take a drive with you?
  • 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM
    Nixon
    It's a 150 W heat lamp and it is a bit overheated. I can't change it right now but I can put damp towels on his cage as well as use tinfoil and I can also turn off that heat lamp and use the light I was given for day time light. It gives off some heat. My room is already eighty degrees from these two other snakes.

But Dave has always been like this. Not with this hot of a lamp but zero humidity. I try to spray his tank three or more times a day. His original owner never cleaned his tank, gave him minimal heat, no humidity, and gave him adults RATS that he threw up because they were too big to eat. He owns two bigger snakes, a red tail boa and a four or five foot ball python but those two can handle that size but he can't. And he does not give a crap about him, that's why he gave him to me. I don't know if he's had this for a while and it just didn't show up.

All I know is that he's one of the worst snake caretakers I've ever witnessed. Dave originally had owners that never fed him and now he came to someone who was no different. I can feed Dave the small frozen mice I have for my younger Ball Python. He got his eye caps off so he'll eat. He needs as much nutrients as possible.

--

I'm in Illinois. Thank you for the offer but my parents are not willing to go that far out for my snake because they simply don't care. I showed Dave to my mom and told her to call a vet and she simply said to let nature take him away.

And she wonders why I yell at her. I'm the only one in this family who wants to help him.

--

EDIT: It looks like slipped skin disease
  • 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM
    bcr229
    If your room ambient is a constant 80*F a 150W heat lamp will overpower that 20-gallon tank and turn it into a desert. I would just use the daytime lamp.

Covering up the top with foil will help keep in heat and humidity.

I would put the biggest water bowls you can fit into there. Use one bowl for the sponge/towel trick to boost humidity.
  • 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM
    Ax01
    wow this is so sad. that poor BP. i'm glad that u rescued it and you're trying to provide it with a good life.

are your parents that indifferent to your other snakes? do u have a friend or someone else who can take u to the vet? if not, keep the BP clean, enclosure clean and make him as comfortable as possible.
  • 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM
    Nixon
    He's got a pretty big water bowl in there as it is. I'll do my part in keeping it constantly full.

--

Pretty much, yeah. They don't want to pay for the vet and I'm not old enough to work yet. The only animals they care about in this house are the stupid dogs. I love them, too, but they should love my snakes just the same, especially since my mom is the one coming into my room and asking to hold one. I will take money out of my bank account and pay my parents back but they don't want me spending a lot on him. So, if I was very, very ill I'm sure my parents would only spend less than 100 dollars on me. These snakes are apart of the family and they need to realize that. I don't have any friends who can drive me anywhere. My sister lives all the way in Chicago and her car got stolen so I can't get her. Every other adult I know is working and they either hate or are scared of snakes.
  • 03-23-2016, 01:53 PM
    gameonpython
    If the liquid is clear then it's not infected. Again, keep him as clean as possible. Provide him with a water dish, but keep it dry in the cage. Humidity encourages bacterial growth, and you do not want that. He really needs a vet if there is any chance that you can save him. If the wound gets infected, then you should put him down. Once the infection enters the blood stream he's got a very very low chance of survival, especially if he's battling another illness and recovering from neglect. Poor guy! I hope you can save him or give him the very best life possible.

• 03-23-2016, 02:05 PM
    Nixon
    There's so many things being told. Keep the humidity, keep it dry. I'll keep it dry. We got an appointment at 5:40 PM today.
  • 03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
    T_Sauer
    Quote:

There's so many things being told. Keep the humidity, keep it dry. I'll keep it dry. We got an appointment at 5:40 PM today.

Awesome :gj: .. let us know how it goes
  • 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM
    Nixon
    I will. I let all of you know if it's treatable, what he's given, what I'm going to do and if there's a chance of recovery I'll be listing the whole process of his road there. He's been fighting starvation and mistreatment for ten years. I know he can make it through this.
  • 03-23-2016, 03:17 PM
    Kokorobosoi
    Fingers crossed!
  • 03-23-2016, 03:40 PM
    gameonpython
    Quote:

That's wonderful. Keeping it dry makes more sense IMO. Humidity just provides opportunity for bacteria to grow and spread, which is what you want to avoid. You are getting a lot of mixed messages, so the best thing to do with the information you are being given is to think carefully about the impacts of every decision. In other words, use common sense. I look forward to hearing how his appointment goes!

• 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM
    NoStepOnSnek
    Oh my gosh poor thing!
    Don't give up. Keep him clean, I don't really have any advice other than keep him as comfortable as possible and away from any corners or stuff he could rub up against and tear it open even more. Although it's a good sign that there's no weird smells or visible rot. I'm sorry you and your snake are going through this, and I hope the vet can suture it and give him some antibiotics maybe. Hopefully it's not the end :(
  • 03-23-2016, 04:24 PM
    ECechoHO
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    Not helpful. If that's what he wanted to do, he would not have posted looking for help.

Call around in the morning and get him looked at. Keep him ultra clean clean clean til then.

- - - Updated - - -

What about an emergency vet?

The reason MY opinion is sooo different than others is because no snake asked to be in the owners possession and there is NO "vets" in the wild, where these animals started.....everything LIVES and DIES, hate to say it but you'r prolly going to have to just chalk that one up.....
  • 03-23-2016, 04:35 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

The reason MY opinion is sooo different than others is because no snake asked to be in the owners possession and there is NO "vets" in the wild, where these animals started.....everything LIVES and DIES, hate to say it but you'r prolly going to have to just chalk that one up.....

Maybe so however this is not the wild and it is the owner's responsibility to seek medical help for any animal in their possession that warrants it, anyone not willing to do so and chosing the easy way out like YOU would (judging by your first post) should not be a pet owner. And in the event the animal is too far gone it is also the owner's responsibility to have the animal put down humanely without letting the animal suffer more than it has to which your first advice pretty much equals that (unnecessary suffering).

So YOU are probably gonna have to chalk that one up :gj:

To the OP

Good job on doing your best and remember more often than not rescues are often costly, something you want to consider being a minor especially if you do not have full support (which also mean financial) from your parent.

Hopefully this is husbandry related and your snake will make a quick recovery.
  • 03-23-2016, 04:44 PM
    ECechoHO
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Maybe so however this is not the wild and it is the owner's responsibility to seek medical help for any animal in their possession that warrants it, anyone not willing to do so and chosing the easy way out like YOU would (judging by your first post) should not be a pet owner. And in the event the animal is too far gone it is also the owner's responsibility to have the animal put down humanely without letting the animal suffer more than it has to which your first advice pretty much equals that (unnecessary suffering).

So YOU are probably gonna have to chalk that one up :gj:

To the OP

Good job on doing your best and remember more often than not rescues are often costly, something you want to consider being a minor especially if you do not have full support (which also mean financial) from your parent.

Hopefully this is husbandry related and your snake will make a quick recovery.

Young lady if i'm such a horrible snake/pet owner then why is it that none of my snakes have EVER had any health problems, this forum seems to be ego driven....
  • 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM
    Ax01
    Quote:

Young lady if i'm such a horrible snake/pet owner then why is it that none of my snakes have EVER had any health problems, this forum seems to be ego driven....

lol well ain't that an oxymoronic statement!

+100points boost to the ego for u

Edit: to Nixon, listen to all of the good advice and support given to u in the thread here; i think u know what needs to be ignored. ;)
  • 03-23-2016, 06:13 PM
    Nixon
    Of course I'm not listening to this person. I haven't listened to them from the very beginning. In no way would I give up from the very beginning. Dave didn't. Dave has been fighting his entire life and he's not going down the minute something starts. If there's a chance: we're taking it.

I should've realized that something like this could've happened but I only thought it would be the journey of getting him to a healthy weight. I should've realized he was lacking a lot of nutrition.

Thank you all for your support. I'm going to the vet now.
  • 03-23-2016, 06:23 PM
    Asherah
    *sighs* OP you are doing your best to seek care for your animal, so please do not in any way think what I am about to say is directed at you. I can't help pointing out that neglecting to seek care, as some posters have suggested, can be a criminal offense. Even if you feel they are "wild" animals without the need for vets you are still liable and responsible for their care since they are in your possesion and that does not include leaving an injury to "nature".

Anyway, Op, please keep up updated. I sincerely hope it's not slipped skin disease and that this guy can recover well. Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
  • 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
    JodanOrNoDan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    I can't help pointing out that neglecting to seek care, as some posters have suggested, can be a criminal offense. Even if you feel they are "wild" animals without the need for vets you are still liable and responsible for their care since they are in your possesion and that does not include leaving an injury to "nature".

I was going to stay out of this but...

Asherah please recognize that the OP is a minor. This type of talk is rarely productive unless you are a lawyer. I highly doubt anyone is going to be carting the OP off to jail.

In all honesty I think euthanization will be the proper course. I hope I am wrong.

OP, you need to do what you think is ethical however you cannot break your parents with vet bills. Parents will rightly choose the family first rather than an animal when it comes to making ends meet. I care for my snakes but the family comes first. That said I do not bring home anything I cannot afford to care for.
  • 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM
    Asherah
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post

Asherah please recognize that the OP is a minor. This type of talk is rarely productive unless you are a lawyer. I highly doubt anyone is going to be carting the OP off to jail.

In all honesty I would probably euthanization will be the proper course. I hope I am wrong.

OP, you need to do what you think is ethical however you cannot break your parents with vet bills. Parents will rightly choose the family first rather than an animal when it comes to making ends meet. I care for my snakes but the family comes first. That said I do not bring home anything I cannot afford to care for.

If you will read again I was not directing my post at op (who I acknowledged is doing all they can for their pet) but at the poster who is suggesting that it is best to let animals in the care of humans be as if they are wild and have nature take it's course.

I thought that the "op please do not think what I am about to say is in any way directed at you" would have taken care of that confusion. In case it did not: op I again commend you for doing your best to take care of your animal. I think you are taking all the correct steps that you should. I was merely making a comment toward the other poster who I felt might benefit by having his responsibility and liability pointed out to him.

• 03-23-2016, 07:27 PM
    T_Sauer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post

In all honesty I think euthanization will be the proper course. I hope I am wrong.

You should have stayed out of it ..... or at the least read carefully before making a comment, because now you look like a fool ... smh
  • 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM
    Nixon
    Guys, calm down. I told my parents I would be paying for the bill.

Anyway, I brought him to the vet who was rude as all hell but I won't get into that, because he was still serious about my snake which is what matters.

The doctor said they would try to use surgical glue and get the gash back together but it didn't work. They said they were going to do stitches, but would like to keep him overnight to see if they split or not. I said yes to him staying overnight and they said they'd do the stitches in the morning tomorrow to let the glue wash out and then we'd get him back in the late evening. They will be injected him with antibiotics and he'd be given the medicine tonight and on Saturday and more days will be listed after that.

I doubt the stitches will stay. His scales are so weak that the minute he'd stretch is body they would tear. I hope it won't happen, but we'll see.

I'll update all of you tomorrow night if the stitches stayed or not. I'll be feeding him frozen mice from now on. Thank you all for the support.
  • 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM
    Asherah
    Pulling for him! I'm afraid the stitches may not hold if his skin is as fragile as you say. Hopefully the vet has a few tricks up his sleeve!

• 03-23-2016, 08:19 PM
    wolfy-hound
    If it's something like slipped skin or a bacterial infection of the skin weakening it, then glue or stitches won't hold. The other example I saw was treated with cleansing solutions and then wrapped I believe. I don't think it made it though, so I hope whatever the vet is trying does work.

Ball pythons are pretty sturdy and are capable of recovering from a lot, so there's always hope.

(for what it's worth, I understood Asherah was directing the warning about neglect being a criminal offense to the person(s) who were advising that owners should not seek any treatment simply because the pet is a 'wild' animal instead of a domesticated species... not towards the OP who is doing everything that he can to treat his pet.)

Good luck.
  • 03-23-2016, 08:37 PM
    LightningPython
    Good luck with him :)
    Best wishes. He's a fighter, for sure.
  • 03-23-2016, 08:43 PM
    Nixon
    Yeah. His scales are very weak. But, he'll be getting medicine that will hopefully solve some issues and keep infection out while he's fed so he can get his nutrition. In the meantime, I'll keep a better eye on him, I'll be more careful with him with handling and furthermore - let no one else handle him until I know he strong enough. That probably won't be for a while but I want his path of recovery to be as easy and fast as possible. I'm going to tell my friend who I originally got the snake from. I got the snake from her step-dad. I'm going to tell her:

I wish I can take your step father's right to own snakes. Because the only good thing to his two other snakes is that they can keep their food down because it's not too big. But they're still mistreated. I wouldn't be able to take them in but someone else needs to. It's disgusting.

I know my friend would be devastated to see Dave like this but what I like the most is that he's still the curious snake he is. Squirming around, flickering his tongue about like he's healthy even when there's an open gash on him. Snakes are really durable creatures. It's nice to see how he seems to be in a great mood even when he could be hurting. Even if the day comes where he becomes weaker, I'll still stay strong for him.

This guy needs it. I want to be the first person to help him.
  • 03-23-2016, 08:51 PM
    Montypython696
    Quote:

Because you've probably never taken one to the vet....

You've been banned for a month, first week back and it's like you never left. You're really making such a great impression with your attitude.
  • 03-23-2016, 08:53 PM
    T_Sauer
    Hopefully the vet can get it to work, at the least there may be a way the keep the wound from drying out until the antibiotics can make the skin strong enough to hold the stitches ?? I'm purely shooting in the dark here and am no doctor, but I'm pulling for you and Dave buddy :gj:
  • 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM
    T_Sauer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Montypython696 View Post
    Because you've probably never taken one to the vet....

You've been banned for a month, first week back and it's like you never left. You're really making such a great impression with your

:rofl: must be something in us Ohioian's in our blood LMAO .... I've been biting my tongue so hard wanting to unload of this fella .... O-H . .
  • 03-23-2016, 09:08 PM
    Yodawagon
    I hope all goes well, but sometimes things are just too far gone. :please:
  • 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM
    Nixon
    It's not infected, which gives us an advantage at least. Still, the vet doesn't know what this is which is what worries me.
  • 03-23-2016, 09:18 PM
    wolfy-hound
    Did you mention slipped skin? Maybe he will research that and find something useful on it in his vet references?
  • 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM
    Nixon
    I don't think I did. I should've. I was super stressed out because the vet was being the creepiest person. I'll tell my mom when she picks up Dave to mention it.
  • 03-23-2016, 09:46 PM
    cristacake
    Quote:

I don't think I did. I should've. I was super stressed out because the vet was being the creepiest person. I'll tell my mom when she picks up Dave to mention it.

What I would do is hand your mom a note to give to the vet directly. Your mom didn't seem greatly invested in Dave's wellbeing so I wouldn't be surprised if she accidentally forgot to mention it, or misremembered what you said, or something like that. I would print a page or two from that .PDF about the disease and highlight a few key sentences. Or even put a post-it note on it saying something like, "This looks like what Dave has- possible treatments?"

Sorry you're having a bad experience with the vet. You may want to write a review about them online somewhere once this ordeal is through.