Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,000

1 members and 1,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,156
Threads: 248,597
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lucasthesurf

Roe progression thread!

Printable View

• 01-02-2018, 12:51 AM
    GpBp
    Roe progression thread!
    Hey! I just wanted share how Roe -That's the name I stuck with :D- is doing! She is a BCI I picked up last month. She is doing amazing, and just shed all in one piece yesterday! She was 61g when we brought her home, and as of yesterday, she is 75g. I've never posted a progression thread, I'm not too sure what to mention lol. She is eating 1 mouse hopper every 10 days, and she eats tomorrow. I would like to get her eating every Thursday, though, because that's when my bps eat and it'd just be convenient :rolleyes: Her name is Rojo, due to her red tail, but I just call her Roe. Pictures are coming!
  • 01-02-2018, 01:13 AM
    tttaylorrr
    Re: Roe progression thread!
    that's a beautiful name, i love it!!!

share anything you want in her progression thread, including the bad stuff! it can't always be sunshine and unicorn farts, and i feel it's important to share the struggles just as much as the triumphs (tho i hope you have very few struggles!)

can't wait for pics!!!
  • 01-02-2018, 02:08 PM
    GpBp
  • 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM
    richardhind1972
    Great looking boa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM
    hilabeans
    I love her name too - she's so pretty!
  • 01-03-2018, 12:08 AM
    GpBp
    Thank you! [emoji4] Here she is eating today :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9ac3a57b20.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
  • 02-20-2018, 04:23 PM
    GpBp
    Heeyyyy I forgot about her progression thread! I should have been posting on here instead of the other thread about her burrowing :rolleyes: I'll update you:

4 weeks ago, Roe was eating like a monster! She took every mouse I offered. It was great!
    3 weeks ago, Roe didn't eat. I was worried! She had just shed recently, and it couldn't be that. I was scared!
    2 weeks ago, YAY! Roe ate. But I had to leave it in her tank overnight. (I switched to feeding in tank last week)
    1 week ago, nothing. But... it's okay! She shed! All in one piece too! So I wasn't worried.

I feed her every Thursday. Now she eats on in two days. She hasn't lost any weight (75g). Fingers crossed!

Also, 2-3 weeks ago I did some stuff to her tank. I gave her a smaller hide, covered the sides, gave another lamp with dimmer on the cool side, and added spag moss. I'll get some pics when I get home. Thanks again!
  • 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Can't wait for the pics! From the sound of it, you're becoming a pretty darn good snarent
  • 02-20-2018, 04:28 PM
    GpBp
    These were just some cute pics I had on my phone. I didn't have her out :) And I found a picture of her tank :D Its not the best but its better than nothing lol. Ill take a better one tonight
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...eaf8226015.jpghttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...704b90bcd5.jpghttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...8cdb754e58.jpghttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...ef7f4b9e10.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    Can't wait for the pics! From the sound of it, you're becoming a pretty darn good snarent

Haha, thank you!:D I try :rolleyes:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c428b5bcf3.jpg
  • 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM
    dakski
    Great she is eating for you and gaining weight!

I am sure you are relieved.

I am the only with a BCI who wraps their F/T prey, seemingly, forever? Behira will wrap for a long time, then eat like a pig. Seriously though, it's dead already honey!

My BP will wrap for a little bit, if she even strikes, but start eating a lot faster. My corn, if he strikes and wraps, which he often does, will wait about a minute and then just want to chow down!

Just an observation.

Good luck with Roe - BCI's rock!
  • 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Great she is eating for you and gaining weight!

I am sure you are relieved.

I am the only with a BCI who wraps their F/T prey, seemingly, forever? Behira will wrap for a long time, then eat like a pig. Seriously though, it's dead already honey!

My BP will wrap for a little bit, if she even strikes, but start eating a lot faster. My corn, if he strikes and wraps, which he often does, will wait about a minute and then just want to chow down!

Just an observation.

Good luck with Roe - BCI's rock!

Thank you! I am very very happy.
    Yeah! Roe will constrict for only about 10mins... I say only because my male ball python constricts his dead rat for about 30-45mins! :rolleyes::rofl: My other ball doesn't waste a single second though, she wraps and starts eating within a minute :snake: But Roe doesn't take too long lol. Thank you, and BCI's are A M A Z I N G!
  • 02-20-2018, 09:21 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Thank you! I am very very happy.
    Yeah! Roe will constrict for only about 10mins... I say only because my male ball python constricts his dead rat for about 30-45mins! :rolleyes::rofl: My other ball doesn't waste a single second though, she wraps and starts eating within a minute :snake: But Roe doesn't take too long lol. Thank you, and BCI's are A M A Z I N G!

LOL - 10 minutes! I think my BP might do 5 - tops! And my corn 2 minutes max!

Behira is about 10 minutes too, or so it seems! I thought that was forever! I stand corrected!
  • 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM
    Sauzo
    I'm guessing you are feeding the snake a mouse every week? That snake looks pretty young. I would stick to 1 mouse every 7-10 days until it's about a year old, then one mouse every 2 weeks.
  • 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM
    GpBp
    No kidding! When I fed in tubs it took forever to wait for them to eat lol! Now they all eat in tanks so I dont have to worry about putting them back.[emoji6]

• 02-20-2018, 10:07 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I'm guessing you are feeding the snake a mouse every week? That snake looks pretty young. I would stick to 1 mouse every 7-10 days until it's about a year old, then one mouse every 2 weeks.

Yes, she eats every Thursday. This schedule works well for me because all the snakes eat on Thursday, so I can thaw at the same time :). Ill definatly remember, her birthday is coming up this June! Thanks Sauzo

• 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM
    GpBp
    Here's her tankhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4fbf94953a.jpg

• 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Looks good! The only thing I would change is the placement of the thermometer. You'll get a better ambient reading if you stick it to the back center of the enclosure and a few inches below the top. I could be wrong but I think you'll get a false reading of the temps or humidity by having it in the substrate
  • 02-21-2018, 07:33 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Looks good! The only thing I would change is the placement of the thermometer. You'll get a better ambient reading if you stick it to the back center of the enclosure and a few inches below the top. I could be wrong but I think you'll get a false reading of the temps or humidity by having it in the substrate

Thank you! I only use the thermometer for humidity, because I have a nice digital one :) I'll stick it there!
  • 02-21-2018, 07:43 PM
    GpBp
    Is this okay?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6f6707254e.jpg

• 02-21-2018, 07:55 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Quote:

Is this okay?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6f6707254e.jpg

Perfect
  • 02-22-2018, 03:24 PM
    GpBp
    Ok, so tonight is feeding night. I'll feed around 8pm-9pm. Is there anything I should do differently this time? I mean, when I first got my bp, May, she was on live. So I thawed her mouse in the room for about 4 hours, just on top of her tank (and slightly below her heat lamp) and she ate perfectly! Should I do this for Roe? I'll feed in her tank. Thank you :)
  • 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Ok, so tonight is feeding night. I'll feed around 8pm-9pm. Is there anything I should do differently this time? I mean, when I first got my bp, May, she was on live. So I thawed her mouse in the room for about 4 hours, just on top of her tank (and slightly below her heat lamp) and she ate perfectly! Should I do this for Roe? I'll feed in her tank. Thank you :)

BCI's are not known to be picky eaters.

Behira is ready the second I walk in the room with a defrosted rat. She is 100% ready to strike and eat! My BP can take a little coaxing, and often doesn't strike, eats by herself, etc.

Behira nails the rat almost immediately, then happily chows down, audience or not.

Roe has had two successful feedings, correct? If so, I would defrost appropriately and completely (room temp/warmish water), then heat up quickly with either a hair dryer or drop into hot tap water (nowhere near boiling) for about 30 seconds. Dry, and offer on tongs. Even my BP responds well to having the rat warmed in hot water for 1/2 minute. Behira probably doesn't care too much, but she isn't complaining either.

Once warm, I shake on the tongs and she comes and grabs it. BCI's, like many colubrids, don't really need to be enticed to eat. She will likely strike quickly. If not, you can leave it in there for a little while and she will probably eat it. One time Behira was more interested in what I was doing and my movement and ignored the rat (though she smelled and knew it was there). I dropped it and it was gone 1/2 hour later.

I do not leave F/T prey in for more than 2 hours. I know my snakes and if they do not eat by then, especially my BP, they are not going to. However, overnight is ok, as long as you do not forget about it!

Also, I never re-freeze f/t rodent. If they don't take it, garbage.
  • 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

BCI's are not known to be picky eaters.

Behira is ready the second I walk in the room with a defrosted rat. She is 100% ready to strike and eat! My BP can take a little coaxing, and often doesn't strike, eats by herself, etc.

Behira nails the rat almost immediately, then happily chows down, audience or not.

Roe has had two successful feedings, correct? If so, I would defrost appropriately and completely (room temp/warmish water), then heat up quickly with either a hair dryer or drop into hot tap water (nowhere near boiling) for about 30 seconds. Dry, and offer on tongs. Even my BP responds well to having the rat warmed in hot water for 1/2 minute. Behira probably doesn't care too much, but she isn't complaining either.

Once warm, I shake on the tongs and she comes and grabs it. BCI's, like many colubrids, don't really need to be enticed to eat. She will likely strike quickly. If not, you can leave it in there for a little while and she will probably eat it. One time Behira was more interested in what I was doing and my movement and ignored the rat (though she smelled and knew it was there). I dropped it and it was gone 1/2 hour later.

I do not leave F/T prey in for more than 2 hours. I know my snakes and if they do not eat by then, especially my BP, they are not going to. However, overnight is ok, as long as you do not forget about it!

Also, I never re-freeze f/t rodent. If they don't take it, garbage.

It seems like Roe is scared of the mouse. Or she doesn't even notice it... If I offer and Roe is in her hide looking out, she'll usually coil back in and ignore it. It is okay if it's wet when I offer? Because I like the idea of putting it in hot water at the end.

The time Roe ate in her tank, I left it in overnight.
    And I wouldn't ever re-freeze :)

Here's how I thaw:

I grab a fuzzy from the freezer
    I put it in a small baggy
    I put it in an empty (washed out) pill bottle
    Fill with warm/hot (hot to the touch, but not burning) water and put the lid back on
    Then I get some warm water over the stove (on the lowest setting) and put the pill bottle in the pan. (Does that make sense?)
    After 10ish minutes or when It's thawed completely, I take it out, dry with a paper towel, and offer.

I put the bottle over the warm pan to make sure it keeps thawing. My house is sort-of cold, and I have mice I come to check on after 10 minutes in ice-cold water and solid as a rock. This just works for me :)
  • 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

It seems like Roe is scared of the mouse. Or she doesn't even notice it... If I offer and Roe is in her hide looking out, she'll usually coil back in and ignore it. It is okay if it's wet when I offer? Because I like the idea of putting it in hot water at the end.

The time Roe ate in her tank, I left it in overnight.
    And I wouldn't ever re-freeze :)

Here's how I thaw:

I grab a fuzzy from the freezer
    I put it in a small baggy
    I put it in an empty (washed out) pill bottle
    Fill with warm/hot (hot to the touch, but not burning) water and put the lid back on
    Then I get some warm water over the stove (on the lowest setting) and put the pill bottle in the pan. (Does that make sense?)
    After 10ish minutes or when It's thawed completely, I take it out, dry with a paper towel, and offer.

I put the bottle over the warm pan to make sure it keeps thawing. My house is sort-of cold, and I have mice I come to check on after 10 minutes in ice-cold water and solid as a rock. This just works for me :)

Put in something bigger than a pill bottle.

More water = stays warmer or doesn't get below room temp. I use a bigger chinese food soup container for mice and a bigger tupperware container for rats.

Never use hot water, except at the end. Hot water over time = cooked rodent. That will lead to refusal and is not as good for them to digest.

Defrost in room temp/warmish water for a couple of hours (or more depending on size of prey). I wouldn't even bother re-warming, if you put 80-90F water in. Just let it defrost in the water as the water cools to room temp.

MAKE SURE THE PREY ITEM IS COMPLETELY DEFROSTED! Squeeze it a little. It should feel cool to the touch, but not hard inside, or have cold spots.

Then drop in hot water briefly - 30 seconds or so. Then dry!

Wet isn't terrible, but can pick up substrate and they do not like as much.

Dry off with a paper towel and offer.

Good luck!
  • 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
    CloudtheBoa
    Quote:

Heeyyyy I forgot about her progression thread! I should have been posting on here instead of the other thread about her burrowing :rolleyes: I'll update you:

4 weeks ago, Roe was eating like a monster! She took every mouse I offered. It was great!
    3 weeks ago, Roe didn't eat. I was worried! She had just shed recently, and it couldn't be that. I was scared!
    2 weeks ago, YAY! Roe ate. But I had to leave it in her tank overnight. (I switched to feeding in tank last week)
    1 week ago, nothing. But... it's okay! She shed! All in one piece too! So I wasn't worried.

I feed her every Thursday. Now she eats on in two days. She hasn't lost any weight (75g). Fingers crossed!

Also, 2-3 weeks ago I did some stuff to her tank. I gave her a smaller hide, covered the sides, gave another lamp with dimmer on the cool side, and added spag moss. I'll get some pics when I get home. Thanks again!

When you say she took every mouse you offered, does that mean you offered her multiple mice, or are you just saying she hadn't refused a meal yet?

At least she only missed one week of food! It can be scary when you're first experiencing fasts, I got used to them with my 11 year old bp. lol He had bad feeding habits for about 3-4 years, but has been eating every meal since thankfully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

They are feeding weekly from what I can tell, but 2 weeks is perfectly acceptable for a young boa, I start all of my boas off at 10-14 days from birth. Once they hit 2 years, I move to 3 weeks, and then to 4-6 weeks as adults.

I do know you also support conservative feeding as well as they age, and I do think 7-10 days acceptable for boas under 1 year, but it is also unnecessary. So long as you space feedings out to 2 weeks when they turn a year, feeding every 7 days is good, but they don't need to eat that often.
  • 02-22-2018, 06:40 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    When you say she took every mouse you offered, does that mean you offered her multiple mice, or are you just saying she hadn't refused a meal yet?

At least she only missed one week of food! It can be scary when you're first experiencing fasts, I got used to them with my 11 year old bp. lol He had bad feeding habits for about 3-4 years, but has been eating every meal since thankfully.

They are feeding weekly from what I can tell, but 2 weeks is perfectly acceptable for a young boa, I start all of my boas off at 10-14 days from birth. Once they hit 2 years, I move to 3 weeks, and then to 4-6 weeks as adults.

I do know you also support conservative feeding as well as they age, and I do think 7-10 days acceptable for boas under 1 year, but it is also unnecessary. So long as you space feedings out to 2 weeks when they turn a year, feeding every 7 days is good, but they don't need to eat that often.

I meant she hadnt refused a meal yet :)
    It was scary! I really hope she eats tonight!!

Wow! 4-6weeks as adults! I think ill keep feeding once a week now (my mom thinks ill starve her lol!). But once she hits a year ill go to once every two weeks- once every 3 :) Thank you!

• 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM
    GpBp
    Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...baa5fa131a.jpg

• 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM
    GpBp
    Aaaand nothing. I honestly thought she was going to, because she seemed so interested! But no. After 4 minates of coaxing, she coiled up and forgot about it. I love her so much and I'm honestly really worried. I'm gonna leave the mouse with her tonighthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e444c24bb2.jpg

• 02-22-2018, 10:47 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Quote:

Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...baa5fa131a.jpg

You could put the bottles in a tub of some sort and fill it with warm water. Kinda like a reverse ice cube
  • 02-22-2018, 10:48 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Quote:

Aaaand nothing. I honestly thought she was going to, because she seemed so interested! But no. After 4 minates of coaxing, she coiled up and forgot about it. I love her so much and I'm honestly really worried. I'm gonna leave the mouse with her tonighthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e444c24bb2.jpg

What is your "caoxing" method?
  • 02-22-2018, 10:51 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

What is your "caoxing" method?

Wiggiling it in front or her with these tongshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...06d0dfe9bd.jpg

• 02-22-2018, 10:59 PM
    GpBp
    "That scared me to death" was my mom lol.
    Hope this helps a little, this was me feeding my ball a little while backhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a8f8339...1739516970.mp4

• 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM
    GpBp
    Ok I'm just going to leave all rodents in overnight. None of the snakes struck, and I'm so stressed out right now. Me and my mom just got into a huge fight and I just don't feel good about it. Sorry, I know this isn't the right thing to do im just so stressed right now.

• 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...baa5fa131a.jpg

I wouldn't sweat her missing a feeding this week. Wait until next week before offering again, and pretty much leave Roe alone. Don't handle her or move her unless you have to clean, etc.

However, as stated earlier, warming in hot water will begin cooking the mouse or rat (the smaller the prey item the more likely it will cook and the faster it will cook). Not warming at the end makes it less appetizing. Get a plastic container, shoebox size at walmart, target, etc. Keep it solely for the purpose of defrosting rodents. I do not use for anything else. Defrost as described earlier in this post (room temp or slightly warmer water). Then quick bath in hot water.

I am not saying that is why she didn't eat; frankly it's probably something else. However, you do not want to give her reasons not to eat something. You want it to be as enticing as possible.

You also want to isolate what the problem is if this continues.

If you are feeding appropriate sized meals, which it looks like you are, defrosted properly, that helps narrow it down.

Some snakes, especially young snakes, do not like the rat being shook to much, especially in their face.

BCI's generally strike with the slightest movement. They don't need to be enticed, or coaxed, as you say, into eating.

I would move it a little, let her know it's there, and if she seems interested, hold it pretty still or just a little movement.

Just my two cents.
  • 02-22-2018, 11:20 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Ok I'm just going to leave all rodents in overnight. None of the snakes struck, and I'm so stressed out right now. Me and my mom just got into a huge fight and I just don't feel good about it. Sorry, I know this isn't the right thing to do im just so stressed right now.

Ok to leave overnight. Make sure to remove in the morning if not eaten.

Take some deep breaths.

Read my last post and what other users have to say.

Relax, we are here to help and you will figure it out.

You being stressed and making decisions under stress isn't going to help the snakes.

It will be okay.
  • 02-22-2018, 11:21 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

I wouldn't sweat her missing a feeding this week. Wait until next week before offering again, and pretty much leave Roe alone. Don't handle her or move her unless you have to clean, etc.

However, as stated earlier, warming in hot water will begin cooking the mouse or rat (the smaller the prey item the more likely it will cook and the faster it will cook). Not warming at the end makes it less appetizing. Get a plastic container, shoebox size at walmart, target, etc. Keep it solely for the purpose of defrosting rodents. I do not use for anything else. Defrost as described earlier in this post (room temp or slightly warmer water). Then quick bath in hot water.

I am not saying that is why she didn't eat; frankly it's probably something else. However, you do not want to give her reasons not to eat something. You want it to be as enticing as possible.

You also want to isolate what the problem is if this continues.

If you are feeding appropriate sized meals, which it looks like you are, defrosted properly, that helps narrow it down.

Some snakes, especially young snakes, do not like the rat being shook to much, especially in their face.

BCI's generally strike with the slightest movement. They don't need to be enticed, or coaxed, as you say, into eating.

I would move it a little, let her know it's there, and if she seems interested, hold it pretty still or just a little movement.

Just my two cents.

Thank you so much! It really doesnt look like shes gonna eat tonight. Do you mind giving a picture of you thawing box/a step process of how you do it? Sorry I'm a bit confused there. Also, I have been leaving Roe alone completely. I havent held her in at least 2 weeks (exept for when I moved her to take her shed). Thank you so much

• 02-22-2018, 11:25 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Ok to leave overnight. Make sure to remove in the morning if not eaten.

Take some deep breaths.

Read my last post and what other users have to say.

Relax, we are here to help and you will figure it out.

You being stressed and making decisions under stress isn't going to help the snakes.

It will be okay.

Thank you
    I'm going to take a shower and see if anyome has eaten. I do expect my balls to eat as they have both been great eaters and seemed interested, though this is only Genos second rat so I'm not sure about him. It doesn't seem like Roe will though. I'm worried about her, but this helps a lot. Thank you so so much, ill be sure to pay good attention to how I defrost next week. I'm gonna go calm down a bit, sorry I dont mean to be dramatic!

• 02-22-2018, 11:34 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Thank you so much! It really doesnt look like shes gonna eat tonight. Do you mind giving a picture of you thawing box/a step process of how you do it? Sorry I'm a bit confused there. Also, I have been leaving Roe alone completely. I havent held her in at least 2 weeks (exept for when I moved her to take her shed). Thank you so much

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-6-Qt...Clear/54515538

You can them anywhere. The supermarket, walmart, target, hardware store probably, Amazon.com, etc.

This is the exact size I use.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.
  • 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Thank you
    I'm going to take a shower and see if anyome has eaten. I do expect my balls to eat as they have both been great eaters and seemed interested, though this is only Genos second rat so I'm not sure about him. It doesn't seem like Roe will though. I'm worried about her, but this helps a lot. Thank you so so much, ill be sure to pay good attention to how I defrost next week. I'm gonna go calm down a bit, sorry I dont mean to be dramatic!

Sounds good. Please update either way so we know if Roe and Company ate.

Sounds like you are still learning a lot, and that is okay. Better to learn sooner than later and do it correctly for the life of your animals.

Good luck!
  • 02-23-2018, 12:03 AM
    GpBp
    Quote:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-6-Qt...Clear/54515538

You can them anywhere. The supermarket, walmart, target, hardware store probably, Amazon.com, etc.

This is the exact size I use.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.

No one ate. I even took Roes mouse and got water up to 100° and stuck it in there for 30secs. Nothing! In still going to leave all food in overnight though. Thank you

And, do you use one tub for all rodents, or one each? Ill go by Wal-Mart this weekend and get something.

• 02-23-2018, 12:12 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

No one ate. I even took Roes mouse and got water up to 100° and stuck it in there for 30secs. Nothing! In still going to leave all food in overnight though. Thank you

And, do you use one tub for all rodents, or one each? Ill go by Wal-Mart this weekend and get something.

One tub fits about 3 medium rats (floating on top in one layer). So you can do more than one rodent for sure!

I think the biggest issue with your current defrosting method is the potential to cook the rodent, not the lack of heat.

Also, if they refuse once, I wouldn’t offer again. Leaving it for a while is ok. However if you keep offering and they are not interested you are just adding stress for them.

Seriously. Calm down, deep breaths, and leave everyone alone until next feeding day.

Think like a snake. Your stress is spilling over to them. Give yourself and them a break.
  • 02-23-2018, 07:55 AM
    CloudtheBoa
    Quote:

I meant she hadnt refused a meal yet :)
    It was scary! I really hope she eats tonight!!

Wow! 4-6weeks as adults! I think ill keep feeding once a week now (my mom thinks ill starve her lol!). But once she hits a year ill go to once every two weeks- once every 3 :) Thank you!

That's good!

Could you give us the exact numbers on her temps and humidity? Cool end, hot end, and hot spot. What are you using to measure these, are they digital or analog? Are you sure they're accurate? If she isn't eating, she may either feel full, or her husbandry is off somewhere. The feeding pictures I saw, the meals were a lot larger than I normally feed my boas, and you're feeding weekly, so that's why I think she may be full. Not all boas will eat themselves into a heart attack. lol

Edit to add: hot side and cool side should be measured with thermometers. Hot spot is the area directly above a UTH or directly below a CHE, RHP, or lamp, and can only be measured with a temp gun. You also want to be sure you're using thermostats on all of your heating elements, or they could cook your reptiles. For UTHs/heat tape, you want the thermostat probe outside the enclosure in between the pad/tape and the bottom of the enclosure, for ambient heaters you want them directly under the heater as close to the floor as you can get without the snakes being able to touch it.

What I normally do to thaw my rodents out if I don't have a big bowl to use is to thaw them out in the sink. Then it's an easy matter to clean and sanitize.
  • 02-23-2018, 08:45 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

That's good!

Could you give us the exact numbers on her temps and humidity? Cool end, hot end, and hot spot. What are you using to measure these, are they digital or analog? Are you sure they're accurate? If she isn't eating, she may either feel full, or her husbandry is off somewhere. The feeding pictures I saw, the meals were a lot larger than I normally feed my boas, and you're feeding weekly, so that's why I think she may be full. Not all boas will eat themselves into a heart attack. lol

Edit to add: hot side and cool side should be measured with thermometers. Hot spot is the area directly above a UTH or directly below a CHE, RHP, or lamp, and can only be measured with a temp gun. You also want to be sure you're using thermostats on all of your heating elements, or they could cook your reptiles. For UTHs/heat tape, you want the thermostat probe outside the enclosure in between the pad/tape and the bottom of the enclosure, for ambient heaters you want them directly under the heater as close to the floor as you can get without the snakes being able to touch it.

What I normally do to thaw my rodents out if I don't have a big bowl to use is to thaw them out in the sink. Then it's an easy matter to clean and sanitize.

Good points CloudtheBoa. I don't remember if all this has been addressed in previous threads. Quite a few new BCI owners here and I have trouble keeping up :(.

I think the concern is that Roe is only 75G right now, if I recall.

However, feeding smaller meals can't hurt.
  • 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM
    CloudtheBoa
    Quote:

Good points CloudtheBoa. I don't remember if all this has been addressed in previous threads. Quite a few new BCI owners here and I have trouble keeping up :(.

I think the concern is that Roe is only 75G right now, if I recall.

However, feeding smaller meals can't hurt.

I don't believe her weight to be an issue. A weight gain of 14 grams in a single month is decent amount of weight gain, my boas gain on average 6-12 grams a month while they're smaller. Even if she's still at 75 grams now that it's been about another month, she is still a good weight for her size imo. My sunglow was 1 month old and 80 grams when I got her, my anery motley was 4 months old and 82 grams when I got him. Those two and OP's boas seem about the same size (OP's may be a bit smaller), and eating a mouse hopper every 7 days is more than plenty of food. I see no concern for her weight, based off of her age and feeding schedule

It seems the boa is missing every other meal, which is another reason why I'm suspecting she's full. She'll skip one week, but then eat the following, and my boa Cloud did something similar when I was overfeeding him. The longer I went overfeeding him, the more meals he'd skip and longer between feeds he'd go. He went from eating weekly, to skipping a meal and eating 2 weeks later, then skipping 2 meals to eat 3 weeks later, and then 3 meals to eat 4 weeks later, etc. until I reduced his prey size again. I no longer feed any of my boas weekly, unless for health concerns.
  • 02-23-2018, 01:15 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    the photos in post 6 and this latest one that she didn't eat... maybe it's the angle but those mice look a bit too big for the boa to me

I was going to say something after post 6 but figured maybe it was just the angle.
    But with this last photo and the fact she refused. Might be the issue.
    The mouse should not be thicker than the widest part of the snake.
  • 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

That's good!

I'm so sorry! I left a couple hours ago and wont be hack home until 6:00. Ill get the temps and humidity when I get home. I use a temp gun, and cor humidity I use a zoo med hydrometer. BUT! Do you want some good news?

ROE ATE!!! I'm so happy! Her mouse wasn't in her tank this morning :)

• 02-23-2018, 01:22 PM
    GpBp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    the photos in post 6 and this latest one that she didn't eat... maybe it's the angle but those mice look a bit too big for the boa to me

I was going to say something after post 6 but figured maybe it was just the angle.
    But with this last photo and the fact she refused. Might be the issue.
    The mouse should not be thicker than the widest part of the snake.

Huh, ok. She's eating a fuzzy... Should I try pinkies..?

• 02-23-2018, 01:24 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Quote:

Huh, ok. She's eating a fuzzy... Should I try pinkies..?

No, pinkies have almost no nutritional value. It's probably just the pic but that looks like a large rat
  • 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    that is not a fuzzy mouse, looks like a small adult?
  • 02-23-2018, 01:29 PM
    c0r3yr0s3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    that is not a fuzzy mouse, looks like a small adult?

I thought the same but look at the pill bottle size. I don't think you could fit a small adult in that small of a bottle

Edit: maybe a hopper?