Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,089

1 members and 1,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,223
Threads: 248,632
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, mizmenabee
  • 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
    67temp
    Rhino-Jack, 100% Kalatoa SD male retic
    Hello, I found my way here while doing research on my newly acquired snake (Rhino-jack). I found jmcrooks thread on Phyllis, and after reading the whole thread it has been a great help on getting my new little guy set up properly and giving me an idea what to expect with him.

I was working Repticon here in MD. On a whim my wife suddenly decided she wanted a “little big snake”. We found one vendor that had some dwarfs then found another vendor (we knew him and he had been in the business for 30 years, mostly with balls and corns), he had a male and female labeled as super dwarfs. Since we wanted a smaller snake we handled the male and chose him. At the time of shopping I knew nothing about retics and what questions to ask like their percentage of dwarf/mainland. The vendor did mention Kalatoa and that the mother was 7’ and the father was 5’ and had pictures of both. The vendor did say he wasn’t the one that bred them but was selling them for someone from the Philly area that didn’t travel. From what I can tell, Rhino-Jack’s size and color pattern matches that of other 100% Kalatoa SD. My only concern is that he might not be 100% since it seems like there aren’t many of these out there yet and most breeders/vendors will try to mention the blood line or who they were imported from. Is there anything to look for to make sure he is 100% as I was told? I’ve seen mention of counting head scales maybe?

Talking to the vendor again recently, he mentioned that he probably screwed himself by selling the snake so cheap and should have asked a few hundred more. Maybe this is just a case of buyer and seller not know what they are dealing with. What is the going rate for these snakes?

So anyways here is my little guy Rhino-jack at roughly 7 months old, 24” and 120g. He’s pretty calm and even better than one of my fiery little female corns. The only time he has struck at his enclosure was when I was walking by, he had a mouse in there with him that he could smell but hadn’t found yet. No aggression at all when getting picked up or handled.

He’s been eating a medium mouse once a week so far. What should he currently be eating and at what intervals? I keep finding Burmese and full size retic feeding schedules but not much for the SD’s. In the month that I’ve had him he hasn’t yet displayed any signs of pushing when he gets hungry.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics, this little guy never sits still for very long.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...103402_929.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...1107171740.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...1021171105.jpg
  • 11-10-2017, 12:07 PM
    jmcrook
    Re: Rhino-Jack, 100% Kalatoa SD male retic
    Congrats! No way to really tell if it's 100% SD unless you talk directly to the breeder but based on parent sizes it's probably at least a very high %SD. Going rate for pure SD seems to be in the $500-$600 range depending on the seller.
    Glad Phyllis's thread was helpful. Keep this one update, I'm sure many of us would love to compare notes as he grows. Looks like a nice little critter. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-10-2017, 01:14 PM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    Nice! I love Retics and the Dwarf Retics!
  • 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM
    67temp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Congrats! No way to really tell if it's 100% SD unless you talk directly to the breeder but based on parent sizes it's probably at least a very high %SD. Going rate for pure SD seems to be in the $500-$600 range depending on the seller.
    Glad Phyllis's thread was helpful. Keep this one update, I'm sure many of us would love to compare notes as he grows. Looks like a nice little critter. Cheers!

I got this little guy for $225 so I'm starting to feel like I got him for a steal of a price.
  • 11-10-2017, 04:55 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    I got this little guy for $225 so I'm starting to feel like I got him for a steal of a price.

If he is indeed 100% SD then yes, that's a bargain.

• 11-10-2017, 05:37 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Congrats on the handsome new retic!
  • 11-10-2017, 09:38 PM
    Stearns84
    Great looking Retic!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM
    67temp
    Sunday I managed to get some of my snakes outside for a photo shoot, so he got to shine in the sunlight. On Wednesday he went into blue. He's about 8 months old now and just shy of 30".

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0290.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0303.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0297.jpg
  • 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
    Justin83
    I want one... And a dwarf burm... And a coastal carpet.... Lol
  • 12-07-2017, 08:12 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
    I want one... And a dwarf burm... And a coastal carpet.... Lol

Lol I was talking to a gal last night about a burm. Almost was sold but then this morning when I woke up, I thought if I'm going to get another large snake, i'll probably get another SD retic.
  • 12-08-2017, 01:36 AM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol I was talking to a gal last night about a burm. Almost was sold but then this morning when I woke up, I thought if I'm going to get another large snake, i'll probably get another SD retic.

Hahah they have a way with folks... I can't help but want another myself. Seriously considering trying Gerald to breed my buddy's pure SD retics in the next few weeks when I go to visit family for the holidays. He may be too young but it's a close call and I know I'd be tempted to keep a baby if he did successfully father a clutch

• 12-08-2017, 03:18 AM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Hahah they have a way with folks... I can't help but want another myself. Seriously considering trying Gerald to breed my buddy's pure SD retics in the next few weeks when I go to visit family for the holidays. He may be too young but it's a close call and I know I'd be tempted to keep a baby if he did successfully father a clutch

...and send your buddy John a 3rd pick of the litter male after you and your buddy take the first 2 ;)

And yeah a burm would be cool but i still want an ultra ivory SD retic haha. Still jealous of Gerald lol :D
  • 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM
    67temp
    He's about 9 months old now, roughly 34"-36" and weighing 213g. He has the dry patch on top of his head like phyillis developed but seemed to go away a little with his last shed. Still no pushing from him and I never hooked trained him either since he gets handled more often than he gets fed. he was half hanging out of his hide so I got some updated pics.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0413.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0417.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0419.jpg
  • 01-05-2018, 07:51 AM
    robert7107
    Nice looking retic

If you wanted too know for sure on his % of super dwarf get breeders name and run it through retic Eugene on Facebook..
  • 01-05-2018, 07:55 PM
    Stearns84
    Quote:

He's about 9 months old now, roughly 34"-36" and weighing 213g. He has the dry patch on top of his head like phyillis developed but seemed to go away a little with his last shed. Still no pushing from him and I never hooked trained him either since he gets handled more often than he gets fed. he was half hanging out of his hide so I got some updated pics.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0413.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0417.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0419.jpg

He looks great! I never hook trained Gene but I did tap train him. He is a giant puppy but always hungry, so when I open his enclosure he is waiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
    67temp
    Housing upgrade time!
    He has been in a 36"x18"x18" exoterra knock off made by nat-geo. I've never been truly happy with it. Even with 2/3 of the screen top covered, a heat lamp, uth on his hot side and a uth under his water bowl, and misting his substrate the temp and humidity have been hard to control and not exactly ideal. I recently picked up this 4 month old Boaphile enclosure for less than half the cost of a new one. this one is 36"x24"X12". I still need to install some lighting and get it fully set up but it should be a lot better than the tank he was in.
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0441.jpg[/URL]

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0439.jpg[/URL]

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/dscf0454.jpg[/URL]
  • 01-27-2018, 08:41 AM
    robert7107
    The snake on your post ? The one on the main page isn't the same snake?? That ones a platinum...
    Picture below shows on main page....
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...13ea231b7d.jpg
  • 01-27-2018, 07:49 PM
    robert7107
    Quote:

...and send your buddy John a 3rd pick of the litter male after you and your buddy take the first 2 ;)

And yeah a burm would be cool but i still want an ultra ivory SD retic haha. Still jealous of Gerald lol :D

Just want to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me...
    On the main page to go into this post doesn't it have a different snake (platinum)on it then what is in the actual post?

• 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    Just want to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me...
    On the main page to go into this post doesn't it have a different snake (platinum)on it then what is in the actual post?

Yes they look like 2 different snakes. The post here looks like a Kalatoa. The phone pic does look like a platinum. You can also tell by looking at the stripe on the side of the snakes face. In the kalatoa one here, the stripe is thick, solid and extends all the way to the eye. In the phone pic, it is thin, broken and doesnt reach the eye.

Other than that, i really have no idea what is going on with this post so i cant give an answer lol.
  • 01-27-2018, 08:37 PM
    robert7107
    Quote:

Yes they look like 2 different snakes. The post here looks like a Kalatoa. The phone pic does look like a platinum. You can also tell by looking at the stripe on the side of the snakes face. In the kalatoa one here, the stripe is thick, solid and extends all the way to the eye. In the phone pic, it is thin, broken and doesnt reach the eye.

Other than that, i really have no idea what is going on with this post so i cant give an answer lol.

This picture is my snake! Wondering why he is using a picture of my 50% Kalatoa Platinum on his posting???? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...efea7eec60.jpg

• 01-27-2018, 08:51 PM
    fieldfare
    I think maybe your phone app might be acting strange and showing you that picture instead of the correct ones? I don't see the picture that you posted anywhere in this thread. I'm on a computer though so it might look different on a phone.
  • 01-27-2018, 10:46 PM
    67temp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    This picture is my snake! Wondering why he is using a picture of my 50% Kalatoa Platinum on his posting????

I wouldn't use another persons pictures with out their permission. All photos loaded into my gallery are of my kalatoa and carpet. I only use a laptop so maybe it is a glitch with the mobile app.
  • 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM
    robert7107
    Quote:

I wouldn't use another persons pictures with out their permission. All photos loaded into my gallery are of my kalatoa and carpet. I only use a laptop so maybe it is a glitch with the mobile app.

Ok.. it just concerned me I could see the app having a issue...

• 01-27-2018, 11:01 PM
    67temp
    I'm still kind of curious why it would do that. On a computer I don't see any pictures (only text) on the main page of the forum, the sub-forums, or even thread titles. The "whats new" section shows the most recent posters avatar.
  • 01-27-2018, 11:16 PM
    robert7107
    Quote:

I'm still kind of curious why it would do that. On a computer I don't see any pictures (only text) on the main page of the forum, the sub-forums, or even thread titles. The "whats new" section shows the most recent posters avatar.

Yeah the picture that you have on there is a Loki he's my male 50% super dwarf.. I wonder who we need to address this to I'm kind of curious to see you I'm who screwed up I work on my end if you work on your end kind of figure out if it was the app for BP itself that screwed up

• 01-27-2018, 11:31 PM
    67temp
    It works from my computer and fieldfare's computer. Any idea how long this has been an issue? I found an admin I'm sending a pm to now.
  • 01-27-2018, 11:34 PM
    robert7107
    Quote:

It works from my computer and fieldfare's computer. Any idea how long this has been an issue? I found an admin I'm sending a pm to now.

Yeah the pictures no longer up there it's of a tank now

• 01-27-2018, 11:56 PM
    Sauzo
    I still see a pic the platinum....this thread is so confusing...
  • 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM
    mlededee
    The problem with the incorrect photo showing with the thread was a glitch with Tapatalk. Tapatalk automatically assigns a photo to each thread that it shows a preview of, and apparently it incorrectly assigned the photo to this thread. We do not have any control over that function of the Tapatalk (or really much of how it works or displays at all).
  • 03-05-2018, 09:05 AM
    67temp
    A little update. As a test I moved him to 14 days between feedings. He was on weekly feedings to simplify things since that's when my corns eat. Around the 7 day mark he got a little antsy for a day or two thinking food should be coming. Mostly just out cruising his viv. He went back to his mellow sleepy self for a few days then started cruising again just as feeding day neared. Still easily to handle the whole time. Currently he is eating large Mice but his next feedings I may try him on some other prey like chicks or rats.
  • 03-19-2018, 07:46 AM
    67temp
    The little guy is still doing great on a 14 day schedule. He's now about 40" and weighing 310g empty. This past weekend was his first time trying peeps. It took him a few minutes to figure out it was a prey item before striking. It also took him several minutes to figure out that he can't ingest the peep sideways.
  • 03-19-2018, 08:08 AM
    Phillydubs
    Really cool looking dude and he sounds very chill.

Just to weigh in on the tap tap talk pic issue. That Happens non stop

its confusing and odd but like the admin said they can’t control it.

There are always misleading pics or wrong pics.
  • 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM
    67temp
    Now that he is out of his food coma from his peep, last night was the first time I caught him in his water bowl. He doesn't have mites but I think he is about to go into blue. After his swim he found a pillow to rest his head on for about 20 minutes before cruising his enclosure.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...5e275eb0_z.jpg
  • 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM
    67temp
  • 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM
    67temp
    I just got some updated numbers on the big guy. He's now 44" and 404g.
  • 05-07-2018, 09:59 PM
    Gio
    He's looking great!
  • 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    I agree. He looks awesome! Nice pics too.
  • 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM
    67temp
    Thanks. I'm hoping for his second year he doesn't get much more length but packs on some weight.
  • 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM
    Skyrivers
    Is great to see a nice healthy retic. I agree, would love to see him put on some weight but he looks nice as is.
  • 05-26-2018, 04:31 PM
    67temp
  • 05-28-2018, 11:05 AM
    67temp
    So the evening after his rat he decided to splash all the water out of his bowl. His humidity spiked to 99%. I left his tank open for several hours yesterday to dry out some and he was content to just hang out near the door. Last night he destroyed the decor and bedding in his enclosure. Everything was in a big pile towards the back. Looks like he is going to be living in a tub for the next few days till his bedding can dry out some.
  • 05-28-2018, 08:24 PM
    Sauzo
    Hahahaha, Caesar does that a lot too. I actually use the 5 qt dog bowls from Tractor Supply which Caesar hasnt spilled yet but he does push it around.

And welcome to the world of retics. They love to cause trouble when they can lol.
  • 05-29-2018, 05:16 PM
    67temp
    Quote:

Hahahaha, Caesar does that a lot too. I actually use the 5 qt dog bowls from Tractor Supply which Caesar hasnt spilled yet but he does push it around.

And welcome to the world of retics. They love to cause trouble when they can lol.

Thanks, iI was starting to wonder if I was going to miss out on all the retic fun.
  • 06-04-2018, 06:24 PM
    67temp
    Seems he will only hold still for head shots. As soon as I move back for a full body picture he is off trying to explore.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...b3300ccf_o.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...2267c287_o.jpg
  • 06-04-2018, 06:28 PM
    67temp
  • 06-14-2018, 09:58 PM
    67temp
    He got fed 10 days ago. After eating he went into his warm hide. When he didn't come back out after 2 days I figured he was probably going in blue. 2 days ago he finally moved a whopping 6" to outside his hide. Here is the pouty face in blue hating the world. Hopefully in a few days I can get some freshly shed pics.

Seems more than half my collection of herps all went into blue at the same time, which has been kinda nice since I've been fighting a sinus infection.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...f489b856_o.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...3683f876_o.jpg
  • 06-14-2018, 10:12 PM
    Sauzo
    He is so tiny in that dollar bill pic. Caesar's fat bottom would smother poor George lol.
  • 06-17-2018, 05:41 PM
    Tigerhawk
    He looks great, you have managed his weight and size well. Please keep the great pictures coming.
  • 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM
    67temp
    Fresh out of shed.

I made a mistake with his handling this evening. While watching tv I noticed that he started to nuzzle me rubbing his nose on my forearm with his neck arched up. Suddenly it hit me that I had been handling some of my mice earlier and one crawled up my arm. Thankfully I got to him before he committed to the bite but he was clearly thinking about it.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...1982cd1d_o.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...85d5cc89_c.jpg
  • 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

Fresh out of shed.

I made a mistake with his handling this evening. While watching tv I noticed that he started to nuzzle me rubbing his nose on my forearm with his neck arched up. Suddenly it hit me that I had been handling some of my mice earlier and one crawled up my arm. Thankfully I got to him before he committed to the bite but he was clearly thinking about it.

LOL Silly rabbit tricks are for kids.