Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 980

1 members and 979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Shedded Penises?

Printable View

• 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
    valhalha30
    Shedded Penises?
    Had a weird shed issue with one of my hybrids, so I decided to lend a hand for what I thought was a her......
    "She" had a bit of skin still stuck to her tail, an inch forward from the vent to her tippy tail. So I GENTLY started to pull off the skin, and when all of the skin came off, I inspected it, like usual, to make sure the very tip came off too. WELL to my shock...... two reddish-brown spur like things came off with the shed right beside the vent scale on the shed skin :O
    I first thought perhaps it was mites or some kind of parasite.... but after inspecting the other twin's last shed, I noticed no reddish-brown spurs near the vent... then I inspected the spurs under bright light and under a magnifying glass, to which I saw no legs and could clearly see that they looked like penises........ which got me thinking, did my "female" just shed it's penises, er, peni? Then I got worried that it's peni got ripped off.......... in which case, I may never be able to breed him, which I fear...... I have been told if all of a snakes' peni got ripped off, it can never breed, not sure it that's true, but I'm worried it could be true....... if they were ripped off, can they grow back and can he still breed? Or is he now rendered retired from breeding? He is young, about to become 2 years old in a few months along with his sister...... so did he actually shed his penis skin? Like puberty? I have no idea....but I figured I'd ask before I worry myself to death.
  • 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
    MrLang
    It should be pretty obvious if what you have is flesh or skin. If it's flesh, let this serve as a lesson why it's best to let snakes deal with stuck shed on their own by giving them tools like a damp towel or moss to rub on if it bothers them. What kind of hybrid is it? That might have some impact.
  • 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
    valhalha30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    It should be pretty obvious if what you have is flesh or skin. If it's flesh, let this serve as a lesson why it's best to let snakes deal with stuck shed on their own by giving them tools like a damp towel or moss to rub on if it bothers them. What kind of hybrid is it? That might have some impact.

Hard to tell, I kept the shed, and it looks like the spurs shrunk, so I guess it's flesh....... plus it seemed like he got really feisty after I pulled the skin off....... so, guess it is flesh... darn :/
    He is a Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Texas Rat hybrid. I hope that this isn't gunna make him infertile due to my "helpfulness" -groan-
  • 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
    MrLang
    You ripped a sensitive piece of anatomy off your snake and your reaction is "darn now I can't breed it."

Shouldn't it be "is a vet visit in order?"

Unbelievable...
  • 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
    Archimedes
    I won't be crude, but put yourself in your snake's shoes for a minute. Then call a vet.
  • 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM
    valhalha30
    Ok, I get it, but no need to be rube about it.
    @ MrLang:
    Well jeez! Don't you think I've thought of that?!
    I had to make sure it wasn't just shed skin first.............. which is why I came here! No need to get rude or judge me on trying to seek info from what I hope is well-informed and well-educated herpers.
    Considering that I've fed him, and he ate without hesitation and kept food down, and he isn't showing any signs of discomfort, I'm not even sure it was flesh. It's highly possible, I'm not denying that...... but he isn't showing any pain or aggitation at all. Since this is a "friendly" site, I'd figured I'd just ask here before rushing to a vet I may not even have to go to, and get a hefty bill for making sure he is ok.

Also. Watch what you judge and who you judge, I may not be an "expert", but at least I can give kind and unjudgemental advice, only if I know what I'm talking about anyways. I may not be as educated in herps, but I don't judge the ignorant or misguided just because I don't think they taking the best care of their herps as I would or others would, I simply give them as sound of adive I can without sounding like a a$$hole or like I'm better than they are. I know when I'm in the wrong about things, and you're probably correct about taking him to a vet, but until I know that this is a SERIOUS, LIFE THREATENING (in case of internal bleeding, which he shows no signs of) OR BREEDING THREATENING issue, I'm not. Like that or not.
    (mispelled rude in the heading, also)
  • 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
    MrLang
    You could always re-read what you communicate on the internet to be sensitive to how it will be reasonably perceived.

I'm aware of how I came off. Are you aware of how you came off?

I am glad you are concerned with the health of the animal. I can't agree with your method of determining whether or not a vet visit is in order, but like you said 'like it or not.'

GL. Hopefully someone else will chime in and say it's no big deal.
  • 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
    MarkS
    First off, nobody is going to be able to diagnose what actually happened over the internet, especially not without pictures. Yes snakes do shed the skin of their hemipenes, I've also seen sperm plugs come out with a shed, females also have very shallow pockets in the same area and they can be packed with 'stuff'. I've occasionally seen blood in the vent area after a shed and no lasting harm was done, I personally do not believe that you would be able to rip off the hemipenes that easily, but there are many different things it could possibly be.

Taking a snake to a vet is always a judgement call, many of them are basically dog and cat doctors and have no real knowledge or experience with reptiles so taking a snake to them is pretty much a waste of time and money. There are some VERY good reptile vets out there that have an interest in the animals but it's best to find them before you need them. In any case there is probably little a Vet could do for you now. What I would do if it were my snake would be to clean it's cage very well, set it up on clean white paper so you can see if there is any bleeding going on and observe it to make sure it's acting normally. Chances are good that it will be just fine.
  • 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
    valhalha30
    I want to apologize to you MrLang, I, agree that I also came off in a bad way too. I'm sorry if I offended you, also.
    Mark, I have him quarantined and checked the paper towels under him, no blood on them or near his vent.... guess he is ok, or she, from the info you have. Odd, and stressful...
  • 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by valhalha30 View Post
    which got me thinking, did my "female" just shed it's penises, er, peni?

so did he actually shed his penis skin? Like puberty?

I'd like to address these two things specifically.

1. The plural of penis is definitely penipod.

2. What kind of puberty did you go through...? I'm pretty sure I never lost any skin down there and neither did my snakes lol.
  • 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
    Andrew21
    I thought colubrids don't have any spurs to begin with? I thought that was just boas and pythons, mostly boas...?
  • 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
    Andybill
    Forgive me but I dont know anything about colubrids and sexing them but couldnt you just pop him? If his hemipenes are gone I think that would be pretty obvious.
  • 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
    Andrew21
    Re: Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andybill View Post
    Forgive me but I dont know anything about colubrids and sexing them but couldnt you just pop him? If his hemipenes are gone I think that would be pretty obvious.

If he's young enough, you could.
  • 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
    Andybill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post
    If he's young enough, you could.

Is it dificult to pop a juvie or sub adult colubrid? I have been able to pop my adult BP males but colubrids arent BPs so not sure how different it is...
  • 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM
    valhalha30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post

2. What kind of puberty did you go through...? I'm pretty sure I never lost any skin down there and neither did my snakes lol.

1. Good to know, never knew that.

2. Didn't know if he just did that out of being sexually mature.... female mammals shed their uterus lining, "skin" if you will, usually monthly. So, technically or not so technically, I did lose "skin" down there xD
  • 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM
    valhalha30
    Quote:

Is it dificult to pop a juvie or sub adult colubrid? I have been able to pop my adult BP males but colubrids arent BPs so not sure how different it is...

I'm no expert, but I've been told that you can only sex a colubrid if it's less than 6 months old
    Anyone want to chime in?
  • 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by valhalha30 View Post
    2. Didn't know if he just did that out of being sexually mature.... female mammals shed their uterus lining, "skin" if you will, usually monthly. So, technically or not so technically, I did lose "skin" down there xD

Thats mammals, reptiles work differently.

The uterin lining isn't exactly the same as skin. There'd be a lot of problems if it was lmao.
  • 04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
    Andrew21
    Quote:

Yes. I think once they get past a certain length, like 18 inches or whatever, popping then becomes an unreliable method of sexing colubrids. They are stronger when they are older, (obviously) so they can keep their hemepines from popping out. I've honestly only tried to pop my adult male once, and he didn't even open up his vent. I know he is a male though, do to breeding.
  • 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
    valhalha30
    Quote:

Thats mammals, reptiles work differently.

The uterin lining isn't exactly the same as skin. There'd be a lot of problems if it was lmao.

Oh jeezzzzz! Hahahaha agreed xD
  • 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM
    pookie!
    Quote:

Um.. what? Is that even a word? Lol
    Isnt the plural penes? Like testis and testes... Although I always say peni lol
  • 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pookie! View Post

Nope its penipod. Like a pod of dolphins... or sperm whales.
  • 04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
    BCBallPythons
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

No its not a word. And you're right, plural is "penises" or "penes"...

Http://www.BCBallPythons.com
    Http://www.facebook.com/bcballpythons
  • 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Nope. Its penipod. Or your could say "pod of penes" i guess. Like if you're on a safari, "Look at that pod of penes, in there natural state!" Penipod just sounds better imho.
  • 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM
    pookie!
    Quote:

Nope its penipod. Like a pod of dolphins... or sperm whales.

You are retarded lol that is so not even a word! If it was it would be something like the tiny little polyps that start out coral or something lol

Quote:

Nope. Its penipod. Or your could say "pod of penes" i guess. Like if you're on a safari, "Look at that pod of penes, in there natural state!" Penipod just sounds better imho.

Imo I think penis would flock or herd more than form pods..
  • 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
    Coleslaw007
    Quote:

Imo I think penis would flock or herd more than form pods..

I think they'd gaggle, a gaggle of penises.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
  • 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
    Annarose15
    *sigh* :grabbed:
  • 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Its penipod. Just say it, it sounds right. It really rolls off the tongue. ;)
  • 04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
    pookie!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    I think they'd gaggle, a gaggle of penises.

We have gaggles of crack heads at Circle K...

Quote:

Its penipod. Just say it, it sounds right. It really rolls off the tongue. ;)

Im sure thats not the only thing that rolls of your tongue... :cool:
  • 04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Im sure thats not the only thing that rolls of your tongue... :cool:

Well of course not. You sorta need food and water to survive :confused:
  • 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
    TheSnakeGeek
    Quote:

the plural form of penis is definitely not penipod. penises or penes. i should know. i have three and have discussed this with my physician.
  • 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
    Coleslaw007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by creepin View Post
    the plural form of penis is definitely not penipod. penises or penes. i should know. i have three and have discussed this with my physician.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
    pookie!
    Quote:

Well of course not. You sorta need food and water to survive :confused:

Well if its rolling off your tongue then how are you even alive because you obviously arent ingesting it...

Quote:

X2
  • 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
    Archimedes
    I don't know if I can handle this thread anymore, lmao
  • 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
    pookie!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    I don't know if I can handle this thread anymore, lmao

http://calibermag.org/wp-content/upl...the-truth6.jpg
  • 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM
    TheSnakeGeek
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

dont want another infraction. i've been tryin to stay on the right side of the law.
  • 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
    Mike41793
    Shedded Penises?
    Quote:

Well if its rolling off your tongue then how are you even alive because you obviously arent ingesting it...

X2

Rolls off my tongue right down the esophagus. Duhhhhhh
  • 04-12-2013, 07:38 PM
    valhalha30
    Yoouuuuu guuyyys LMFAO