Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,444

2 members and 1,442 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,223
Threads: 248,635
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, mizmenabee
  • 12-16-2022, 10:57 PM
    Snagrio
    Entering new territory. My first tarantula.
    So, I noticed a peculiar sign in front of a display at one of my local pet stores, saying that the animal was looking for a new home and was free. Asked the manager about it and apparently any animals that fail to find a home for half a year or more are effectively adopted out. And, well, my foray into isopods with my snake setups already made me curious with inverts and I already had an empty 10 gallon sitting around so...
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...506&height=675
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...900&height=675

Aphonopelma seemani, or Costa Rican zebra/stripe knee tarantula. Not sure on the sex as I've shown pics of the ventral area to those more knowledgeable than I and I've heard both (I'm guessing female though), but I have the closeup shot if any T keepers want to give it a look.
  • 12-17-2022, 12:00 AM
    Bogertophis
    Ooh, congratulations! I've kept a T in the past- just a California native one, & only for about 6 mos. I'm no expert- I was told mine was a female based on the large abdomen ("opisthosoma") but I'm not sure that's an accurate way to tell. I like the black & white markings on yours.

This says the best way to tell is from a shed, so it might be a while before you find out. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5SujzLmQc
  • 12-17-2022, 12:40 AM
    Snagrio
    Re: Entering new territory. My first tarantula.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Ooh, congratulations! I've kept a T in the past- just a California native one, & only for about 6 mos. I'm no expert- I was told mine was a female based on the large abdomen ("opisthosoma") but I'm not sure that's an accurate way to tell. I like the black & white markings on yours.

This says the best way to tell is from a shed, so it might be a while before you find out. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5SujzLmQc

Yeah that's generally what I've heard, you have to wait for a molt and examine the insides.
  • 12-17-2022, 12:49 AM
    plateOfFlan
    Congrats! I have a very teeny A seemanni who has been sequestered underground for :checks calendar: over 3 months now. I caught it outside the other night so I know it's alive!
    They're known for endearingly quirky personalities - they like to do things like perform elaborate floatation experiments with their water dish or rearrange everything in the tank for no reason. If you offer yours a ping pong ball or other light item they can pick up they might play with it, they're weird little guys.
  • 12-17-2022, 01:50 AM
    YungRasputin
    1) i am so relieved that it’s actually a legitimate beginner species - totally perfect first T!

2) she is female as indicated by the flap on her abdomen (in between and just above her books lungs) where the pedipalps would be inserted

3) if you have any questions or concerns in your arachnid journey you can always shoot me a PM and i would be happy to help!
  • 12-17-2022, 02:00 AM
    YungRasputin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Yeah that's generally what I've heard, you have to wait for a molt and examine the insides.

in spiderlings (“slings”) and juveniles yes because they’re simply to small to visually discern with any accuracy without using equipment (eg: microscope) however when they’re adults, like what you have, there are physical characteristics that differentiate them that you’ll be able to tell eg: females will have the flap on the abdomen and males will “hook out” i.e. you’ll visually be able to see their “tibial hooks”
  • 12-17-2022, 08:52 AM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    1) i am so relieved that it’s actually a legitimate beginner species - totally perfect first T!

2) she is female as indicated by the flap on her abdomen (in between and just above her books lungs) where the pedipalps would be inserted

3) if you have any questions or concerns in your arachnid journey you can always shoot me a PM and i would be happy to help!

Interesting. From what I read, A. Seemani was considered "intermediate" due to being skittish, fast and not wanting to be handled. But I didn't really see much of the speed when I moved her into the tank, and no tarantula actively likes being handled so, yeah, kind of weird. And this was a big box store so I wasn't exactly expecting any advanced species to be sold there anyway (but I did do my due research beforehand regardless).

You're the second person to suggest she's female, so I guess it's a safe bet that's what she is by now.
  • 12-17-2022, 09:27 AM
    YungRasputin
    Quote:

Interesting. From what I read, A. Seemani was considered "intermediate" due to being skittish, fast and not wanting to be handled. But I didn't really see much of the speed when I moved her into the tank, and no tarantula actively likes being handled so, yeah, kind of weird. And this was a big box store so I wasn't exactly expecting any advanced species to be sold there anyway (but I did do my due research beforehand regardless).

You're the second person to suggest she's female, so I guess it's a safe bet that's what she is by now.

personally i think they’re the perfect “beginner” species insomuch as their speed is what’s more common within T species as the stoic pet rocks that is the Brachypelma species isn’t really reflective of the whole animal and how they typically behave - *most* NW (new world) and (most especially) OW (old world) species will be this fast/defensive or faster/more defensive so it’s the perfect way to go
  • 12-17-2022, 12:56 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

personally i think they’re the perfect “beginner” species insomuch as their speed is what’s more common within T species as the stoic pet rocks that is the Brachypelma species isn’t really reflective of the whole animal and how they typically behave - *most* NW (new world) and (most especially) OW (old world) species will be this fast/defensive or faster/more defensive so it’s the perfect way to go

Speaking of old worlds, if I was of experience my T of choice would be a Poecilotheria metallica. But as I've heard about old worlds as a whole they tend to be ornery and pack a nasty bite (why are all the blue animals I like notorious for testy behavior?).
    https://cdn.store-assets.com/s/72792...jpg?width=1024

Also forgot to post the setup. Made a mixture of topsoil, play sand and sphagnum moss. There was slightly more in there but decided to take some of it and spread it under cork bark flats in the snake setups for the isopods since they only have coco husks and moss otherwise (eventually want to make all of it a proper topsoil mixture).

It's really humid now since everything was freshly mixed the day prior to adding her. I punched more holes in the top for better air flow (I glued a sheet of tinfoil on the underside of the screen lid since I've heard that Ts can potentially get their feet stuck in the grating).

There's also two log hides in there. One visible in the moss, and the other I buried at the opposite end just in case she digs down that direction and I can get an underground view.

And finally a view of the girl herself this morning. I think she's a bit chilly as she's hugging the side with the heat pad (it went below freezing overnight and the basement isn't exactly a warm place). I bumped the thermostat up a bit.
  • 12-17-2022, 07:19 PM
    Bogertophis
    Oh, by the way- now I remember why they said my (California) tarantula was surely a female, without even checking the underside: it was because of her size. The females can live 20-25 years, while the males usually only live to 7 or 8 (10 max), & her "abdomen" was the size of a ping pong ball- she was huge, & all the males I ever saw were so tiny by comparison. I don't know if the lifespan & size differential applies to any other kinds of tarantulas- as I said, my experience with them is very limited, but they're all pretty cool.
  • 12-17-2022, 11:53 PM
    YungRasputin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh, by the way- now I remember why they said my (California) tarantula was surely a female, without even checking the underside: it was because of her size. The females can live 20-25 years, while the males usually only live to 7 or 8 (10 max), & her "abdomen" was the size of a ping pong ball- she was huge, & all the males I ever saw were so tiny by comparison. I don't know if the lifespan & size differential applies to any other kinds of tarantulas- as I said, my experience with them is very limited, but they're all pretty cool.

sexual dimorphism is seen virtually all tarantula species - i think there may be a couple species where this may not be the case or is less extreme than in most cases but this true for like 99% of tarantulas - the size of the abdomen is largely dependent upon food intake and in both sexes it should be relatively proportional to the rest of their body tho as you say females are a bit bigger of course - lifespan wise i would say that’s about average - in their late stages of life males will just wander and mate until they’re a) eaten by the female or b) die of their own accord
  • 12-17-2022, 11:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

sexual dimorphism is seen virtually all tarantula species - i think there may be a couple species where this may not be the case or is less extreme than in most cases but this true for like 99% of tarantulas - the size of the abdomen is largely dependent upon food intake and in both sexes it should be relatively proportional to the rest of their body tho as you say females are a bit bigger of course - lifespan wise i would say that’s about average - in their late stages of life males will just wander and mate until they’re a) eaten by the female or b) die of their own accord

Yeah, I've heard that some of them are pretty bad at dating. :rofl: Poor guys...
  • 12-18-2022, 12:02 AM
    YungRasputin
    also pokies are super cool, i kept them/bred them, P. rufilata is my particular favorite of the genus but given the size, temperament and venom level they’re definitely an advanced/veteran level species

but! you can work your way up to them by keeping what i call “bridge species” i.e. lower level species with particular traits comparable to pokies - so like starting with A. avicularia, then P. irminia/P. cambridgei then Tapinauchenius then Pokies - would be a good way to do it - this way you build up skills in basic arboreal keeping (Avics), speed (Tapinauchenius), and hyper-defensive behaviors and higher venom levels (Psalmopoeus)

this all needed because ‘teleporting’ is v real and hard to deal with even with experience and pokies are one of the few species that won’t give you a threat pose or any clues before bolting or striking - something I’ve only seen in African arboreals like S. cals + H. maculata and fossorial baboons like P. muticus
  • 12-18-2022, 04:27 PM
    plateOfFlan
    Quote:

imo A seemanni is a great starter. The "beginner" lists out there often seem to have a very narrow view of what a beginner wants and can manage, so only the most stone-still docile, handleable terrestrials are included. My first T was a dwarf fossorial known for its teleportation abilities and I did fine with him. Someone with reptile keeping experience and who is going to read up on a species before buying is fine with like, *most* tarantula species probably. Plenty of people even get the Psalmopoeus irminia as their first tarantula and do fine :gj:
  • 12-18-2022, 05:50 PM
    Snagrio
    She still hasn't moved. Must still be adjusting. As a snake keeper I of all people should be aware of the time it takes for something to settle in, but I can't help with the "new family member hovering" no matter the species. :oops: I can't help but wonder if some of it is also because, well, chances are she has never experienced actual diggable substrate before. She was at the pet store for around half a year or more (that's why I got her for free after all) and all she had there was a flat, useless "layer" of bark chips and who knows what living conditions she had before then. I'm sure instincts will kick in eventually though.

In better news, finally decided on a name for her. Rachnera. Went back and forth on it because the character of the same name is rather, um, NSFW, but I will leave the Googling to the rest of you as I won't post a pic here for reasons. :giggle:
  • 12-19-2022, 09:24 PM
    YungRasputin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    imo A seemanni is a great starter. The "beginner" lists out there often seem to have a very narrow view of what a beginner wants and can manage, so only the most stone-still docile, handleable terrestrials are included. My first T was a dwarf fossorial known for its teleportation abilities and I did fine with him. Someone with reptile keeping experience and who is going to read up on a species before buying is fine with like, *most* tarantula species probably. Plenty of people even get the Psalmopoeus irminia as their first tarantula and do fine :gj:

people have done that yes but it’s not wise to do this imo both for your sake and the sake of the animal because what i should be asked: if you get tagged are you going to have the nerves to safely secure the animal before treating yourself? will you be able to keep calm through the pain? will you be able to control your knee jerk reactions to pain so you don’t fling the spider across the room? this is what should be considered because Irminia and Cambridgei are both highly unpredictable - they can be super chill one moment and then furious the next - more than that, they’re fangs will hurt in and of themselves in addition to the sting of venom

i would also note with this genus specifically the side-effects of their venom also include 8+ hours of vomiting in addition to the pain and can also include lightheadedness, muscle cramps, heart palpitations, profuse sweating, etc - not trying to scare anyone off but they’re a p serious animal and i would argue there is a difference between general reptile reflexes/muscle memory and venom reflexes/muscle memory eg: i have several decades of reflex experience dodging “zero mistake” arachnids who’s venom could be lethal even with immediate medical treatment which is different than reflexes involving non-lethal/non-venomous where the primary thing is just avoiding a little bit of pain

is the difference between: a ball Python bite might be annoying for 5-10 min, a bite from Venezuelan Sun-Tiger will ruin your entire day

it sounds weird from the outside i understand but i just think working with venomous animals gives you a whole different mindset
  • 12-19-2022, 09:30 PM
    YungRasputin
    it’s the same for other popular species like OBT - they may not be labeled lethal but the bite itself, as described to me by other keepers, feels like the bite site was “slammed with a hammer” + “slammed with a car door” - also, there is something particular about OBT venom which also makes those with pre-existing heart conditions at risk of something more serious - i would encourage anyone getting into the hobby to really seriously consider the ladder system and to full consider the venom level of the specimens you get and keep because “not lethal” is still a real serious thing
  • 12-19-2022, 09:45 PM
    YungRasputin
    not to seem ranty, just something to put in your noodles, but i do sympathize with wanting to skip steps - my biggest goal for my snake keeping and why i initially got into snakes in the first place is because i want to have in my personal collection, at least once, a copperhead - to me they’re the coolest and prettiest little things ever but i know i must crawl before i walk before i run
  • 12-20-2022, 12:20 PM
    ecoles5
    Hi and congratulations! You’re best off waiting for a molt. Soak it in water and dab of dish soap and then on the inside you can tell if the molt went well. Most T’s sexual dimorphism is seen coloration of the ones that display outer signs until ultimate molt for males I have over 30 at this time. I adore them.
  • 12-20-2022, 01:08 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

people have done that yes but it’s not wise to do this imo both for your sake and the sake of the animal because what i should be asked: if you get tagged are you going to have the nerves to safely secure the animal before treating yourself? will you be able to keep calm through the pain? will you be able to control your knee jerk reactions to pain so you don’t fling the spider across the room? this is what should be considered because Irminia and Cambridgei are both highly unpredictable - they can be super chill one moment and then furious the next - more than that, they’re fangs will hurt in and of themselves in addition to the sting of venom

i would also note with this genus specifically the side-effects of their venom also include 8+ hours of vomiting in addition to the pain and can also include lightheadedness, muscle cramps, heart palpitations, profuse sweating, etc - not trying to scare anyone off but they’re a p serious animal and i would argue there is a difference between general reptile reflexes/muscle memory and venom reflexes/muscle memory eg: i have several decades of reflex experience dodging “zero mistake” arachnids who’s venom could be lethal even with immediate medical treatment which is different than reflexes involving non-lethal/non-venomous where the primary thing is just avoiding a little bit of pain

is the difference between: a ball Python bite might be annoying for 5-10 min, a bite from Venezuelan Sun-Tiger will ruin your entire day

it sounds weird from the outside i understand but i just think working with venomous animals gives you a whole different mindset

From my standpoint, when I brought up wanting to keep the other, more advanced species mentioned, it was very much a hypothetical, in the "If I really got into Ts and had some years of experience" kind of way. Like how I didn't immediately jump to a blue beauty when I got back into keeping snakes. That and I wasn't exactly planning on keeping a T anytime soon, this was a special circumstance. One that I properly researched and prepared for mind you, but not a premeditated one for sure. Not that her being a free animal means I will treat her with any less care than the others of course. If anything I'm just happy to give her a home by Christmas. :)
  • 12-20-2022, 04:30 PM
    plateOfFlan
    Sorry for contributing to derail!
    More on topic: about the screen top, if it's woven tightly like window screen, that's the dangerous kind. There is a type of screen lid that's flat with diamond-shaped openings, and those are perfectly safe. I can't tell from the pics but it looks like you have the safe one? Clips for the lid may also be a good idea, tarantulas are shockingly strong (and stubborn) and if she gets it into her head to lift the lid she's going to keep at it if there's any give.
  • 12-20-2022, 08:55 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

Sorry for contributing to derail!
    More on topic: about the screen top, if it's woven tightly like window screen, that's the dangerous kind. There is a type of screen lid that's flat with diamond-shaped openings, and those are perfectly safe. I can't tell from the pics but it looks like you have the safe one? Clips for the lid may also be a good idea, tarantulas are shockingly strong (and stubborn) and if she gets it into her head to lift the lid she's going to keep at it if there's any give.

Here's a pic of the lid. Looks like the diamond shape? Would be nice to take the tinfoil off for more air circulation and I think she'd prefer things to be drier anyway from what I've read. And I could get something to weigh the lid down if needed. Wasn't sure if she could hoist it open (not like she's moved for the past several days straight but still).
  • 12-21-2022, 07:35 PM
    Snagrio
    I've been getting concerned that she's been too cold, as she's been practically hugging the area where the heat pad is and hasn't moved or attempted to dig or anything. I changed the layout so the log above ground backs into the heat pad. I carefully nudged her to the entrance so she'll hopefully go in there, but as you can see she was not happy about it (glad I used tongs, she struck them several times while trying to slowly push her out of the way to move the log in place and then in front of it).

Update she did go inside. Hopefully she can settle in better now that she feels warm and secure at the same time.
  • 12-28-2022, 08:18 PM
    Snagrio
    I finally got around to offering Rachnera a couple crickets and she took both of them at the same time in a single strike almost as soon as I dropped them in. I'd say she's comfortable now. :giggle:
  • 12-28-2022, 08:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Wow, she's got real talent!
  • 01-02-2023, 12:13 AM
    Snagrio
    She randomly decided to sit out on the moss mound today.
    Those tiny eyes are so unexpectedly cute. :wuv:
  • 01-02-2023, 03:19 PM
    plateOfFlan
    Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a tarantula, where "my pet moved a few inches / is in a different position today!" becomes the most exciting thing to happen all week :D
  • 01-02-2023, 03:50 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a tarantula, where "my pet moved a few inches / is in a different position today!" becomes the most exciting thing to happen all week :D

:rofl: So true. But I think herp lovers are "observers" by nature & generally well-prepared for this. Or should be?
  • 01-02-2023, 05:23 PM
    plateOfFlan
    To be serious though, I think we can learn a lot from tarantulas. If they don't need anything, they don't do anything. And because of their simple brains, they can't really want anything they don't need. Since we give them just about everything they need in captivity, they end up spending most of their time just ... existing. It's a hard thing for a human to do, since we have so many thoughts and worries and wants and feelings.
  • 01-02-2023, 06:11 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

....It's a hard thing for a human to do, since we have so many thoughts and worries and wants and feelings.

And we do that to ourselves, too. It's why humans have so much trouble meditating, even though research suggests it's good for us on various levels. Switching off & being in the moment IS a challenge for us poor humans. And many pets do help us with that, to the extent we get the message & cooperate.

It probably goes all the way back to the idea of owning a piece of land- then we need a home for protection from the elements & as a place to store all of our "stuff", & we need a job to buy stuff & support all that, then lots of security to protect all that, & we no longer have time to grow or gather our own food, so we keep on working, because our vehicles wear out to go get stuff, & when we decide to relax, many of us can't wait to go somewhere else for a while, but that can be a stressful "can of worms" too. :rolleyes:
  • 01-02-2023, 06:20 PM
    Snagrio
    What Boger said. Keeping snakes has gotten me long accustomed to pets that you rarely see do much of, well anything really. As I've alluded to in another thread though, that suites me just fine. I too don't like interacting with others most of the time unless food is involved. :rofl:
  • 01-02-2023, 06:41 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

What Boger said. Keeping snakes has gotten me long accustomed to pets that you rarely see do much of, well anything really. As I've alluded to in another thread though, that suites me just fine. I too don't like interacting with others most of the time unless food is involved. :rofl:

I see it as our pets setting a good example for us- it feels really good to hang out with animals- whether dogs or snakes or anything else you like- & just "be" in the moment, whether to relax or play, or share meals together- whatever. Our world is plenty complex & stressful- so taking the time to slow down & enjoy friends (human OR animal) is really beneficial & needed.
  • 01-02-2023, 08:09 PM
    YungRasputin
    Quote:

lmao v true but still! a lot better than some fossorial species! i’ve gone full *years* without even *seeing* my S. crassipes and only knew they were alive because prey/water would disappear or they would occasionally chuck an old molt out of their tunnel systems
  • 01-05-2023, 04:11 PM
    Snagrio
    She got a free meal today. Got 3 crickets at the store and the girl at the checkout asked if that was all I was getting, and after I said yes she just gave me the bag back to go ahead and leave. :rofl:
    She's ravenous too. Grabbed all 3 one by one in short order. From my own observations and speaking with other T keepers she's underweight so I'm not surprised she's been quick on the uptake. With how long she was at that store they probably stopped feeding her at all...
  • 01-05-2023, 06:33 PM
    Bogertophis
    She's sounding like a "happy camper" to me. You're probably right that she wasn't fed much there (at the store).
  • 01-20-2023, 04:12 PM
    Snagrio
    Literally overnight, she finally dug a proper burrow. First noticed the moss above ground having been flung everywhere.

Carefully looked behind the heat pad in the back and she burrowed straight to the bottom and halfway across the tank. She's just beyond view to the very right in the second pic.

I guess this is her ultimate sign of approval that I did it all correctly. :gj:
  • 01-21-2023, 06:18 PM
    Snagrio
    I just checked at random and she was at the entrance holding a load of dirt from clearing out her lair more. Why does she look so adorable?! :love:
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...507&height=676
  • 01-25-2023, 06:29 PM
    Snagrio
    She's been very busy the past week. The tunnel is so long now that it wraps the perimeter of the tank all the way to the left front, opposite from where the log starting point is. I knew terrestrial Ts burrowed but, wow. :O
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...901&height=676

Whenever she's not digging I often see her poised at the entrance. So many legs I can't even see her face. :rofl:

Want to add more dirt since the substrate has settled to the point where half the tank is empty space but I'm worried I might collapse her tunnels in the process. I've heard that Ts reinforce their burrows with webbing to prevent this though so maybe if I'm careful it shouldn't be an issue?
  • 01-25-2023, 08:00 PM
    Bogertophis
    Those are some awesome tunnels! Not sure about adding dirt- I'd only do it gradually, just in case? And she has very nice legs anyway...:rofl:(cool markings)
  • 01-25-2023, 08:06 PM
    plateOfFlan
    I've only had one tunnel collapse and that was in 100% coco coir and he didn't seem to be reinforcing with webbing as he went. Seemannis are known for their love of digging, now that she's off to the races she might do a full lap!
  • 02-11-2023, 07:48 PM
    Snagrio
    I think she finally gave up trying to burrow all the way around the bottom, but she got close. :P

She also let me get a rare close-up full body shot.

Not really sure how much is needed if at all, but I've started to mist/pour a little water down the corners every couple of weeks or so. Her species is semi-arid so I figured some occasional "rainfall" wouldn't be a bad idea. I think she even specifically came out in the above pic to sip droplets, though I provide a water dish at all times of course, of which she's been surprisingly good at not filling with dirt. I hear all the time from other owners how their Ts constantly fill up water dishes with substrate, but she hasn't done it once even after she began to burrow.
  • 02-11-2023, 07:55 PM
    Bogertophis
    It looks as though you're doing a very good job of providing her with what she wants, & let's face it- these are not the easiest pets to "read". :gj:
  • 02-12-2023, 08:19 PM
    Aerries
    I’ve been away for a very long time, but I too have grown my collection and I too have a seemani lol 3-4 years and it’s only maybe 2-3 inches….unconfirmed sex at this point….but it’s burrow goes down and damn near completely around his 8x8x12 enclosure…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-19-2023, 05:22 PM
    Snagrio
    I finally added more substrate to her setup (now it looks like a layered chocolate cake :rofl:).

Also I don't feel like making a whole new thread for these, but I've been enjoying the isopods in the snake vivs so much that I set up two tubs just to keep more species and got some at my monthly local show yesterday.
    Also transferred some springtails from one of the snake vivs into both tubs.

Finally while at the show I picked up a batch of superworms for Rachnera so I don't have to go to the pet store every week just for a couple crickets.
    I offered her one and I didn't think it was possible for a spider to look unsure of itself but she genuinely looked like she didn't know what to do with it for a second, and kind of just gingerly grabbed it and slowly dragged it down her burrow compared to her lighting quick lunge when I'd give crickets. Quite amusing.

And now, at this point, I've gone from just one tarantula in the corner of the basement to 4 setups worth of bugs. And now that I have a much more manageable feeding method for tarantulas (at least adult ones) I'm getting tempted to expand further. :P
  • 02-19-2023, 05:31 PM
    Bogertophis
    Seems I'm not the only one that ends up going down "rabbit holes" (into new areas), lol. But I think I'll hold out for the real thing (when it comes to chocolate layer cake, that is).
  • 02-19-2023, 06:06 PM
    YungRasputin
    if ye want to get another T - i would humbly suggest G. rosea - they’re a little harder to come by nowadays than they used to be but they’re super cool, and a v hardy species - i had mine for 15 years
  • 02-19-2023, 07:13 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

if ye want to get another T - i would humbly suggest G. rosea - they’re a little harder to come by nowadays than they used to be but they’re super cool, and a v hardy species - i had mine for 15 years

After some discussion elsewhere, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens has caught my eye. Love the colors and it'd admittedly be nice to have a T that actually uses webbing (okay mine does but it's the most minimal, almost invisible utility of burrow lining).
    https://external-content.duckduckgo....bc0&ipo=images
  • 02-19-2023, 07:30 PM
    plateOfFlan
    Glad you're enjoying!
    If you want to give your mealworms and isopods a treat, take some pieces of shed snakeskin to offer them - they go nuts for it, and I find mine seem healthier and have stronger exoskeletons when they get that extra protein.
  • 02-19-2023, 08:01 PM
    Snagrio
    Quote:

Glad you're enjoying!
    If you want to give your mealworms and isopods a treat, take some pieces of shed snakeskin to offer them - they go nuts for it, and I find mine seem healthier and have stronger exoskeletons when they get that extra protein.

Oh I pamper all of them. Snake sheds, fish flakes, cucumber slices, everybody's well fed. :gj:
  • 02-19-2023, 08:41 PM
    plateOfFlan
    Quote:

Oh I pamper all of them. Snake sheds, fish flakes, cucumber slices, everybody's well fed. :gj:

:D isn't it fun to have a few pets you can just cut up some nice produce for? I love feeding the isopods and roaches