Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,389

0 members and 2,389 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,398
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Powerline99
  • 10-10-2018, 07:01 PM
    Godzilla78
    What is the market value of all of your snakes?
    I just did a tally for fun of all my ball pythons market value. I base it on what I paid for them, what they are going for on morph market, what I would sell them for, etc. Basically the going rate, or the market value.

I have 11 snakes varying from $100 Snake all the way up to $1000 snake. All of them combined came to $5000 exactly. I was a bit shocked to find out how much snakes I’ve bought/ own now.
    If anyone else wants to play the game go ahead. it is a bit crazy sometimes what we can spend in the reptile hobby
  • 10-10-2018, 07:18 PM
    Bogertophis
    Not counting the enclosures & equipment (thermostats etc)...that adds quite a bit too.

This exercise might not be good for those breeders & anyone at the high end of the spectrum though...as it could make someone a target for theft, sadly.
    I remember years ago when someone (well-known for some valuable snakes) had their home broken into & snakes stolen while they were predictably at a
    local herp club meeting. (& yup, I'm one of those cautious types- :P so feel free to pay no attention! :rofl:)
  • 10-10-2018, 07:34 PM
    Godzilla78
    Re: What is the market value of all of your snakes?
    Anyone who is a high-end breeder or a big name in the business, she doesn’t obviously need to play this game anyway, because we already all know they probably have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of snakes it’s not like we need to guess that!
  • 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM
    redshepherd
    Adding up my snakes, about $2800.

Not including the snake I'm about to get in a couple months :cool:

But it really isn't bad, considering just my working line german shepherd was $2500- she's primarily sport bred and we train for competition. Then add the treadmill, carpet mill, crates, crate pads, toys, leashes, collars I bought for her + her surprisingly vet bills... LOL. I probably spent $5500 on this dog already and she is only 1 year old!
  • 10-10-2018, 08:18 PM
    Jakethesnake69
    From $80 up to $300. Total is $755 for four snakes. Just the live animals no supporting gear in total obviously. I’m thinking once the latest boa shows up I will have reached my maximum comfortable commitment for now. For me it’s the supporting equipment that will be pricey once they reach the forever home size. No plans to breed so just pets.
  • 10-10-2018, 08:36 PM
    distaff
    I haven't spent much on any of the animals, at most about $100 each - two of mine I got for free, inc. the latest, the hatchling BP. T-stats and heating equipment are what add up. The corn enclosure is a big planted Exo-terra display. I didn't hold back at all on that one, and everything for that came to almost a thousand.

The Sonoran Gopher is outgrowing her 40 gallon breeder, and I expect the replacement come to some money. I'd like her to have something at least 6 feet, but I have no idea where I'll put it.
  • 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM
    Godzilla78
    Yes, this thread is about VALUE OF SNAKES ONLY.
    We all know that proper husbandry equipment can sometimes cost more than the actual animals!!! [emoji15]
    This doesn’t count that stuff.
  • 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM
    dakski
    Value at purchase or current values?

5 Snakes, approximate total purchase cost (going by what prices were at the time they were purchased and could be off up to 5% as some were bought a while ago and I am going by memory) of $4,200.

That is heavily weighted in 2-3 snakes, however, with one of my corns costing less than $100.

We also have 5 lizards in the house (I am counting Katie's Leachie, Esmeralda, in this). Coincidently, the total cost of all 5 Lizards is about $4,200 as well.

In total, all 10 of our reptiles come out to $8,400, or $840 a piece.

Most expensive Snake: $1,450

Least Expensive Snake: $75

Most Expensive Lizard: $1,800

Least Expensive Lizard: $575

Update: I just re-read the OP's post.

Current Market Value:

Snakes: About $3,400

Lizards: About $2,900

Total: $6,300
  • 10-10-2018, 11:14 PM
    Dianne
    Since some of mine were trades or rescues, I didn’t purchase all of them. Only recently have I spent over $100 for any one animal (my pied and BEL), so all 11 are about $1300 based on what I’ve seen for local expo prices. I’m definitely not in the upper echelon of keepers, but they’re my scaly kids so that’s okay. :D
  • 10-11-2018, 12:47 AM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Value at purchase or current values?

5 Snakes, approximate total purchase cost (going by what prices were at the time they were purchased and could be off up to 5% as some were bought a while ago and I am going by memory) of $4,200.

That is heavily weighted in 2-3 snakes, however, with one of my corns costing less than $100.

We also have 5 lizards in the house (I am counting Katie's Leachie, Esmeralda, in this). Coincidently, the total cost of all 5 Lizards is about $4,200 as well.

In total, all 10 of our reptiles come out to $8,400, or $840 a piece.

Most expensive Snake: $1,450

Least Expensive Snake: $75

Most Expensive Lizard: $1,800

Least Expensive Lizard: $575

Update: I just re-read the OP's post.

Current Market Value:

Snakes: About $3,400

Lizards: About $2,900

Total: $6,300

Sweet Jebus, what lizard do you have that was $1800 lol? Heck i was pricing USCBB Gilas and Beaded lizards and even an exceptional Utah banded gila is around $1200.

And I am curious what snake you got for $1450. Heck, i thought Alex was spendy at close to $1000 and the prices I've been seeing Peruvian BCC at around $1000 also. Only thing i can think of for $1500+ other than designer GTPs which are just crazy at $5000+ or an Amazon Basin ETB is a BHP at around $2000.
  • 10-11-2018, 07:49 AM
    67temp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    And I am curious what snake you got for $1450.

My guess would be his scaleless corn Solana since it was a worlds first.

Looking back at my records I'm about $4,200 into 34 snakes plus $500 for shipping. Most of my snakes are corns and sub $100. If I had to replace them all at full market value it would be about $6k-$7k. I've gotten a bunch of end of show deals, some the value of the snake has increased, some I got for free as pet only because of kinks, I've also gotten a breeding pair of corns for $20. That total is just for the purchase of the snakes and not the extra cost of caging, heat, thermostats, hides, bedding..etc. I have no clue how much my wife has tied up into her crested and gargoyle geckos.
  • 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM
    Skyrivers
    Actual market value vs what I paid? Lets do market value. Going to count Aurora even though still paying on her.

Most expensive $2000.

Total value would be around $5000 of all added together. With rainbow being almost an adult she is worth more than a baby would be. Estimate 1000 to 1200 for her. (slightly prejudice there.)
  • 10-11-2018, 08:44 AM
    wolftrap
    $30 for my perfect wild type! Y'all can close the thread now, I'm sure my break-the-bank-snake is blowing minds right now..... bahaha! :)

(I paid $35 for her, but after countless hours of combing through Morph Market, I think a normal on average goes for about $30, if not cheaper)
  • 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM
    VereMyth
    Got my Norm Ball python for about 60$ and my Albino Python for about 330$ totaling a whopping 390$ Not including tax.
  • 10-11-2018, 10:15 AM
    GoingPostal
    $3800 on 9 snakes, value when I bought them, that's heavily skewed to two snakes though. Most of mine were in the $150-300 range.
  • 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM
    distaff
    Looking at a locality boa for the coming year.
    That will probably be in the $3-5 hundred range.
  • 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Priceless :rofl:

I won't give a overall number but let's just say I spend between $1000 to $3000 on new animals every year (not counting the value of my holdbacks), for example this years holdbacks value (fair market price) is $7400

And I am a small scale breeder.
  • 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Sweet Jebus, what lizard do you have that was $1800 lol? Heck i was pricing USCBB Gilas and Beaded lizards and even an exceptional Utah banded gila is around $1200.

And I am curious what snake you got for $1450. Heck, i thought Alex was spendy at close to $1000 and the prices I've been seeing Peruvian BCC at around $1000 also. Only thing i can think of for $1500+ other than designer GTPs which are just crazy at $5000+ or an Amazon Basin ETB is a BHP at around $2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    My guess would be his scaleless corn Solana since it was a worlds first.

Looking back at my records I'm about $4,200 into 34 snakes plus $500 for shipping. Most of my snakes are corns and sub $100. If I had to replace them all at full market value it would be about $6k-$7k. I've gotten a bunch of end of show deals, some the value of the snake has increased, some I got for free as pet only because of kinks, I've also gotten a breeding pair of corns for $20. That total is just for the purchase of the snakes and not the extra cost of caging, heat, thermostats, hides, bedding..etc. I have no clue how much my wife has tied up into her crested and gargoyle geckos.

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner! 67temp, step on down!

Yes, Solana, was $1,450. She is the first Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn with Visual Red Factor in the World. She's also about the coolest corn snake I've had, or met. Great personality on top of stunning looks.

Katie's Bayonaisse Leachie, Esmeralda, was $1,800 (expo price). She's awesome and that seemed like a good deal given how much the GT's cost!
  • 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM
    Alter-Echo
    Let's see... current combined total based on what I payed for my snakes... 1,650

Current market value? Prolly 1,200 and falling. Lol

I have a ton of other reptiles as well, so with all those my total would be at least a thousand more.
  • 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM
    PghBall
    Based on the market value my three holdbacks from this year are worth in excess of $7500. I'm just a hobby breeder myself ;)
  • 10-16-2018, 05:11 PM
    Zincubus
    Well I'm down to just 6 snakes now .... back up to 7 any day ..

I wouldn't know what value to put on my big Snow Boa and how can you value this totally unique looking , 3' stunner :)

Imperial Pueblan King x Milk hybrid
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...144a38c705.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...84896affa3.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8ddd73850e.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bdb9cb0e0e.jpg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 10-16-2018, 10:47 PM
    the_rotten1
    I didn't have any idea how much my collection was worth until I saw this thread and decided to crunch the numbers. I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised.

I paid $3,960 for the 19 snakes in my collection and they're worth $10,105. That's not even counting the $1490 in hatchlings I currently have up for sale. They would bring the grand total to $11,595.

Equipment and upkeep take a good chunk out of it, but even so, that's not a bad return.
  • 10-21-2018, 12:27 PM
    bmwood
    I have around 58 snakes and the value is around $25,000, my collection has mostly recessives.
  • 10-27-2018, 08:22 PM
    Godzilla78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    I have around 58 snakes and the value is around $25,000, my collection has mostly recessives.

Holy crap. That sounds like a lot of snakes!!! I have decided that in the future, I want to grow my collection's value, more than just the quantity. (high-end morphs)
  • 10-29-2018, 01:06 AM
    bmwood
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Holy crap. That sounds like a lot of snakes!!! I have decided that in the future, I want to grow my collection's value, more than just the quantity. (high-end morphs)

Most of those are for sale, only about 38 of them are my keepers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
  • 12-17-2018, 09:00 AM
    artgecko
    Hmm..Maybe $4,500 in animals (considering purchase value). There's a lot of give and take there though, because I am unsure on adult pricing and some animals (my adult female BPs) have probably lost value since I purchased them and some other animals, like my leachie, have increased in value since purchase. Right now I have a total of 7 "lizards" (geckos and bts) and 12 (soon to be 14) snakes.

Equipment...Probably close to the same value considering thermostats, cages, racks, etc.

All-in-all, this is not a cheap hobby lol. I'm not even breeding yet, but only a small portion of the numbers quoted above count as breeding investment animals. I will probably be selling off some of my collection and re-focusing on my breeding projects at some point in the near future.
  • 12-17-2018, 12:18 PM
    tttaylorrr
    this is going to hurt to see it actually written out lol. hmm...
    (math is not my strong suit)
    $3,015 😳
  • 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM
    RickyNY
    Let me see:
    1 Royal, 1 Boa and 1 Carpet = $34.99

You guys need to learn how to haggle!!
  • 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    $3,015

correction: $3,090 between 9 snakes (8 ball pythons and 1 corn snake)
  • 12-17-2018, 12:44 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post

the post asks for market value, not what you paid. ;)
  • 12-17-2018, 01:42 PM
    RickyNY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    the post asks for market value, not what you paid. ;)

no habla
  • 12-17-2018, 02:53 PM
    FollowTheSun
    What a neat idea! I had never thought of this before. :-)
    Well . . our pinstripe big mama BP is about $100 (we paid $50)
    My banana BP boy is about $300 (that's what his owner bought him for as a baby-- I paid $300 for him and all his many supplies/enclosure)
    Our fancy panther chameleon was $250 on sale.
  • 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM
    MR Snakes
    Quote:

Let me see:

I need to hire you to go with me to the show in White Plains! At least you can speak NY, fuggetaboutit!
  • 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
    wolftrap
    let's see... my wild type BP's market value is probably around... one fun sized candy bar for a king cobra hahaha

her enclosure is worth SO MUCH MORE than she is, it's kind of depressing, but just because she's not worth beans in the market doesn't mean she's not priceless to me! <3
  • 12-17-2018, 04:02 PM
    MR Snakes
    Quote:

Let me see:

I can see it already;

RickyNY: How much yuse want for that Twin Turbo Double Het Coral Banana Pied?
    Salesman: $1200 and she's a beaut!
    RickyNY: Say what there bro? 1200 clams for that?
    Salesman: She's nearly one of a kind as she was the result of a cross between a Flat 6 Double Overhead male and a Banana Pied Piper Het Pastel Glow female.
    RickyNY: Tell you what I'm gonna do for you there Chief. Ize give you 2 bills for it and you throw in the first two years worth of food and vet visits......and that neat cage set up yuse gots over there.

Hope I got the NY speak correct:D
  • 11-28-2019, 04:36 PM
    nickwilson21
    Banana pastel het clown male. Purchased for $250. Value $250
    Clown female. Purchased for $400. Value $1100
    Killer clown female. Purchased for $750. Value $1500
    Ghi Mojave het clown female. purchased for $800. Value $1100
    Blade dbl het axan clown female. Purch for $250. Value $500
    Ivory female. Purchased for $400. Value $600
    Freeway male. Purchased for $750. Value $750
    Pin leo yb female. Purchased to $350. Value $600
    Pied het lav female. Purchased for $700. Value $1500

Purchased for 4650 aprox and value is at 7900 aprox
    A few snakes are hard to get a value because most people don't sell adults and subadults but this is my best guess:)