Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,328

2 members and 2,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
  • 03-09-2022, 11:05 PM
    Homebody
    Wiggles, the Children's Python
    Meet Wiggles, my new Children's Python.
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03396.2.jpg
    Wiggles was hatched on July 29, 2020. He was produced by Exotics Unlimited and sold as a pet to Steve Hager, a high-end hognose snake breeder in Maryland. Steve sold him to me to make room for additional projects. I picked him up last Saturday. After a quick introduction to the family, he's been adjusting to his new 3x2x2 enclosure, climbing on his branches...
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03408.2.jpg
    and basking on his slate...
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03392.2.jpg.
    Tonight, he took his first meal...
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03412.2.jpg.
    I'm looking forward to spending many happy years together and sharing them with all of you.
  • 03-09-2022, 11:15 PM
    Bogertophis
    He's a handsome little guy, & I hope you have MANY happy years enjoying him. :love: He looks very much at ease too- I'm sure he's enjoying his new home.

By the way, I think you made a great choice, getting a well-started young snake, rather than a hatchling. Not that a hatchling would have been 'difficult' but they're so much smaller, & you thought this guy was tiny, lol.
  • 03-09-2022, 11:20 PM
    Homebody
    Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm sure he's enjoying his new home.

Steve had him in 12 quart tub. I suppose breeders are always short on space. I figured out that my 3x2x2 works out to about 90 gallons, so it's a big change for him. I hope he enjoys it.
  • 03-09-2022, 11:25 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

By the way, I think you made a great choice, getting a well-started young snake, rather than a hatchling. Not that a hatchling would have been 'difficult' but they're so much smaller, & you thought this guy was tiny, lol.

A hatchling would have blown my mind, and made me way too nervous. They're so fragile.
  • 03-09-2022, 11:29 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Steve had him in 12 quart tub. I suppose breeders are always short on space. I figured out that my 3x2x2 works out to about 90 gallons, so it's a big change for him. I hope he enjoys it.

I'm sure he will- these aren't as shy as BPs, from what I've seen. When I got my Spotted python (Antaresia maculosa) she was a tiny yearling, & explored her new, much larger home in the same way yours is doing. And today, I just moved her into a larger tank, & she checked it all out, then drank some water, sat on her driftwood, then parked herself in her warm hide with her face & tail at the doorway, calmly checking out her new view for a while. These are very cool pythons. :cool: And they seem fairly smart as snakes go, which I think helps them adapt easier than some snakes do.
  • 03-09-2022, 11:42 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

...these aren't as shy as BPs, from what I've seen.

I would have been nervous putting a hatchling in such a large enclosure, but you, and I think some others, assured me that it wouldn't be an issue. And, of course, I didn't end up getting a hatchling.
  • 03-10-2022, 12:10 AM
    Albert Clark
    He looks really healthy and like he was waiting for you to pick him up from Steve. Congrats. I sense a perfect fit!
  • 03-12-2022, 11:08 PM
    Homebody
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...8.2_459256.jpg
    I’m starting to understand what others mean when they say Antaresia are more aware and interactive than other snakes. As Wiggles is still settling in, rather than handling him, I’ve been opening his enclosure and just sitting by the opening. Yesterday, Wiggles came over to investigate the fresh air, I suppose. Not wanting him to leave the enclosure, I slowly put my hand up to block his progress. He stopped. I slowly pulled my hand back. He advanced again. This time not toward the open air but toward my hand. I got worried thinking that he was confusing my fingers for food. So, I got up and quickly put hand sanitizer on my hands and returned. This time when he smelled my finger he recoiled slightly. He advanced again, smelled my finger, and recoiled again. We did this a few times. It became a game of sorts. Then I put my face closer to the enclosure. He advanced again this time toward my face. I started to wish I’d put hand sanitizer on my nose and I pulled back. Then, this became the game. I even let him boop my snoop. Still not sure if he was investigating my nose as food, I decided to end the game there. I wanted to keep our time together positive for both of us. I can’t remember ever interacting with my bp in quite this way. I would give my bp games to play and watch him play them, but I don’t remember him ever playing a game with me.
  • 03-12-2022, 11:44 PM
    Bogertophis
    Well, just remember that these have heat-sensing pits too. :rofl: I'm glad he took note of your scent to make sure you're not edible. Cute pic- I think you've picked a winner! :snake:
  • 03-13-2022, 12:17 AM
    Caitlin
    These little snakes are SO intelligent. I target train all of my snakes as a way of establishing trust, offering non-invasive interactions with me, and moderating the food response, among other reasons. But out of all of my snakes, it's the Antaresia and the Carpet Python (all of the Aussie pythons!) that have responded best and have become my best learners.

I had to chuckle over your game with Wiggles. Unlike any of my other snakes, both of my Children's pythons will always extend themselves forward when I open their enclosures and tongue-flick the tip of my nose. I don't know why they do it, but it's pretty cute.
  • 03-13-2022, 09:20 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    These little snakes are SO intelligent. I target train all of my snakes as a way of establishing trust, offering non-invasive interactions with me, and moderating the food response, among other reasons. But out of all of my snakes, it's the Antaresia and the Carpet Python (all of the Aussie pythons!) that have responded best and have become my best learners.

I'm not sure if I have the discipline to see it through, but I'm going to give target training a try. When I fed him this week, I paired the feeding with a target (a paint stirrer with a circle drawn on then end). His food response so far hasn't been a problem. He hasn't struck at or bitten me yet. I'm just sympathetic to the non-invasive approach. For the same reason, I'm also giving choice-based handling a try.
  • 03-26-2022, 01:47 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

...I'm also giving choice-based handling a try.

Well, for the past couple weeks, he's been choosing not to be handled. I handled him today for the first time since I got him. Not because he chose it, but because it was time for his monthly enclosure cleaning. He was a perfect sweetheart. He didn't seem stressed, but I kept it short anyway.

He's been eating well. I'm feeding him hoppers weekly. He weighed in today at 120 grams. He was advertised as 80 grams in January, so his weight's climbing quickly.
  • 03-26-2022, 04:33 PM
    Albert Clark
    Sounds like you are on top of all possibilities! What a amazing reptile.
  • 04-12-2022, 10:48 PM
    Homebody
    Wiggles bit me and I'm trying to figure out if it was a defensive bite or a food bite? I removed the glass to refresh his water bowl and he immediately came over to investigate. He seemed a little too interested, so I backed off. Tomorrow's feeding day. I sat in front of his enclosure and he came over and sniffed my hand, as he usually does. He recoiled, as he usually does, even though, this time, I wasn't wearing hand sanitizer. We did this a few times and then I resumed replacing his water. As I was returning the bowl, he struck and released. He didn't wrap. So, do you think he was defending his territory or did he think my hand might be food?
  • 04-12-2022, 11:01 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Wiggles bit me and I'm trying to figure out if it was a defensive bite or a food bite? I removed the glass to refresh his water bowl and he immediately came over to investigate. He seemed a little too interested, so I backed off. Tomorrow's feeding day. I sat in front of his enclosure and he came over and sniffed my hand, as he usually does. He recoiled, as he usually does, even though, this time, I wasn't wearing hand sanitizer. We did this a few times and then I resumed replacing his water. As I was returning the bowl, he struck and released. He didn't wrap. So, do you think he was defending his territory or did he think my hand might be food?

Snakes don't exactly "defend their territory", though they might personally feel cornered & threatened*. But no, that wasn't what yours was doing. :rolleyes: He was hoping your warm & wiggling hand was his incoming dinner. Fortunately he realized pretty fast that he didn't want the "special of the day". :D Hey, don't forget these little guys have heat sensing pits, & they USE them. :snake: When a snake looks a "little too interested", believe them. ;) And if you've been wearing hand sanitizer, but not this time, that might have been just enough for him to think "Hey, maybe this IS it?" I trust you'll survive?

(*Might be some exceptions as far as "territory defense"- like maybe king cobras? But I don't think most snakes have a sense of "territory".)

BAD Wiggles! :colbert: NO soup for you!
  • 04-12-2022, 11:33 PM
    jmcrook
    Wiggles, the Children's Python
    Bite and release is an attempt to defend themselves against threats/predators. Bite and wrap is an attempt at subduing prey/feed response. What you’ve experienced is a snake defending itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-13-2022, 08:42 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Snakes don't exactly "defend their territory", though they might personally feel cornered & threatened*. But no, that wasn't what yours was doing. :rolleyes: He was hoping your warm & wiggling hand was his incoming dinner. Fortunately he realized pretty fast that he didn't want the "special of the day". :D Hey, don't forget these little guys have heat sensing pits, & they USE them. :snake: When a snake looks a "little too interested", believe them. ;) And if you've been wearing hand sanitizer, but not this time, that might have been just enough for him to think "Hey, maybe this IS it?" I trust you'll survive?

(*Might be some exceptions as far as "territory defense"- like maybe king cobras? But I don't think most snakes have a sense of "territory".)

BAD Wiggles! :colbert: NO soup for you!

It's the bite and release that confuses me. I've been taught that a bite and release is a defensive move. Bite and wrap is a food bite. His behavior prior to the bite wasn't defensive at all. He was coming toward me. Enough so, that I decided to back off and properly introduce myself. It was only when I thought it was clear to him that I wasn't food that I decided to reenter his enclosure. My mistake may have been leaving to fill the water bowl after I had introduced myself. When I returned with the water bowl, maybe, he thought I was something new. But if it was a food bite, why release? Seems counterintuitive.
  • 04-13-2022, 08:58 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Bite and release is an attempt to defend themselves against threats/predators. Bite and wrap is an attempt at subduing prey/feed response. What you’ve experienced is a snake defending itself.

That's what I've been taught but, he didn't seem at all defensive prior to the bite. He was coming toward me. When he bit me, I wasn't moving toward him either, although I was, admittedly, reaching into his enclosure.

It got me to thinking though. Has he ever struck and released his food? I'm not sure. I do remember some unsuccessful strikes. Maybe they weren't unsuccessful. I can't feel if he bit the mouse. Maybe he uses an exploratory bite if he's not sure if something is prey.
  • 04-13-2022, 09:27 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

I trust you'll survive?

I screamed like a little girl. My son was standing right next to me. Soooo embarrassing. Just three pin pricks at the base of my index finger. Shaving nicks hurt more.
  • 04-13-2022, 09:51 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

It's the bite and release that confuses me. I've been taught that a bite and release is a defensive move. Bite and wrap is a food bite. His behavior prior to the bite wasn't defensive at all. He was coming toward me. Enough so, that I decided to back off and properly introduce myself. It was only when I thought it was clear to him that I wasn't food that I decided to reenter his enclosure. My mistake may have been leaving to fill the water bowl after I had introduced myself. When I returned with the water bowl, maybe, he thought I was something new. But if it was a food bite, why release? Seems counterintuitive.

"Bite & wrap" is an enthused food bite. A snake coming toward your hand is investigating what, in their mind, "might be food" is what gets you a bite like this- you didn't taste or feel right, so he "threw you back"! :D It's an honest mistake on his part- nothing more. And you already knew he was hungry- due to be fed. :rolleyes:

"Bite & release" MAY be defensive, but not always. And from your detailed description, I'm quite sure this wasn't either. Your hand was "warm & wiggling"- that might be food! Let's see?

If you'd rather PREVENT bites like this, & I highly recommend that you do ;) you need to give him more information, so he doesn't have to bite you to see if you're any good. How you let him know you're not "room service" depends on what your snake is doing when you "invade his space"- in other words, you need to pay attention to him and think first about what you're doing that's going to confuse him.

May I remind you that snakes have other senses besides sight, & that they do NOT identify things by sight- not by itself, anyway. They use cues of scent & touch, & that's what I do too, so they know what's happening. I don't want my snakes making mistakes, & neither do they. It's up to us to communicate better with them- we rely on sight & hearing, but THEY don't. Use their sense of touch & scent to help them understand what's going on. That not only prevents needless bites, it also helps them feel less stressed. They don't like "surprises" either.

Maybe if you think of the average pet snake like it's your grandmother sitting in a chair- she might be dozing off, she can't hear well, & doesn't see well. Are you going to approach her in a way that startles & scares her? I hope not. She won't bite you, but it won't be good for her heart. You might touch her arm or shoulder lightly, to let her know you're there. With a snake, you can also use their sense of smell- blow across your hand in their direction so they get your scent. Assuming you don't smell like rodents, anyway. :rofl: Or use something else as a substitute for your hand/arm, something they can come & sniff.

It's on you to pay attention to your individual snake as to whether they fully got your "message"- a very hungry snake might not have their minds changed easily. You can also mist them- it won't hurt a thing (remember, it rains in the real world) but it usually "changes the channel" very effectively.
  • 04-13-2022, 09:57 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I screamed like a little girl. My son was standing right next to me. Soooo embarrassing. Just three pin pricks at the base of my index finger. Shaving nicks hurt more.

So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son...:rofl: Yeah, those tiny teeth DO hurt. That's why it's better to "communicate" & pay attention to what your snake is thinking.

Another thing you can do- if you need to reach in to change the water or do a spot clean & see your snake "stalking you"- use your other hand with a large piece of cardboard to just block their way- they don't usually fight their way around it, they just take the hint. If they're in their hide, block the doorway before they come out. See? You don't need to be a pin-cushion to keep snakes- nothing to prove here. ;)
  • 04-13-2022, 10:21 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son...:rofl: Yeah, those tiny teeth DO hurt. That's why it's better to "communicate" & pay attention to what your snake is thinking.

Another thing you can do- if you need to reach in to change the water or do a spot clean & see your snake "stalking you"- use your other hand with a large piece of cardboard to just block their way- they don't usually fight their way around it, they just take the hint. If they're in their hide, block the doorway before they come out. See? You don't need to be a pin-cushion to keep snakes- nothing to prove here. ;)

I just need to learn to read Wiggles better. When he's obviously hungry, I'll need to take additional steps, like the ones you've suggested, to avoid taking bites. Two years with a fully mature BP, didn't prepare me well for avoiding bites.
  • 04-13-2022, 10:41 AM
    Homebody
    I think the bite also indicates that Wiggles has settled in and he's more comfortable with his new environment. His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food. Until now though, I haven't seen that. Generally, I haven't seen the food aggression for which Children's Pythons are famous. So, I'll take the bite as a positive sign that Wiggles feels safe and secure enough to let his personality show.
  • 04-13-2022, 10:53 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I just need to learn to read Wiggles better. When he's obviously hungry, I'll need to take additional steps, like the ones you've suggested, to avoid taking bites. Two years with a fully mature BP, didn't prepare me well for avoiding bites.

BPs aren't the most "outgoing" snakes, that's for sure. Aussie pythons, on the other hand...:snake: They may be little, but they don't seem to know that. Sorta like Chihuahuas. :D
  • 04-13-2022, 10:54 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son...:rofl:

I did show him the bite after I'd washed it and explained that my cry was more from surprise than pain.
  • 04-13-2022, 10:58 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

BPs aren't the most "outgoing" snakes, that's for sure. Aussie pythons, on the other hand...:snake: They may be little, but they don't seem to know that. Sorta like Chihuahuas. :D

With my BP, I would warm the rat with a hair dryer and make it dance the mambo, and still rarely got a strike. So, the strong food drive of the Children's Python is going to take a little getting used to.
  • 04-13-2022, 11:08 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I did show him the bite after I'd washed it and explained that my cry was more from surprise than pain.

Good save...;) I hope this snake isn't one of the "stubborn ones" that keep trying to eat hands, as that won't be much fun. You might be taking some more bites- the previous owner probably just quit trying to handle him so the snake never learned to distinguish.

Quote:

...His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food...

• 04-13-2022, 11:11 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

With my BP, I would warm the rat with a hair dryer and make it dance the mambo, and still rarely got a strike. So, the strong food drive of the Children's Python is going to take a little getting used to.

It really depends on the BP- they have their own personality, but I agree, most of them have far less food drive. They're "introverts"-:D

I've never needed to warm the prey for my Spotted python- that should tell you something. Aussie pythons- "extroverts"! :cool:
  • 04-13-2022, 11:30 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I think the bite also indicates that Wiggles has settled in and he's more comfortable with his new environment. His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food. Until now though, I haven't seen that. Generally, I haven't seen the food aggression for which Children's Pythons are famous. So, I'll take the bite as a positive sign that Wiggles feels safe and secure enough to let his personality show.

What it tells me is that he needs more "socialization". ;) He knows how to be a snake, but not how to be your pet. He can do both, trust me.
  • 04-13-2022, 04:42 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

What it tells me is that he needs more "socialization". ;) He knows how to be a snake, but not how to be your pet. He can do both, trust me.

That's good to hear because "socialization" is one of my favorite things to do. I spend some time with him almost every night. Usually, we play sniff and retreat. Sometimes, we crawl around the living room. I don't handle him much, but my kids do during his weekly enclosure cleanings. I'm confident that, in time, we'll learn to avoid this type of misunderstanding. If not, well, I've got gloves.
  • 04-13-2022, 05:03 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

That's good to hear because "socialization" is one of my favorite things to do...

Mine too! :D
  • 04-14-2022, 09:51 AM
    Homebody
    Last night was feeding time. I took one look at Wiggles and I knew there was going to be trouble. When I brought the warmed up mouse into the room, he was already surfing the glass. I managed to open his enclosure without being bitten. Picked up the mouse with my tongs, but before I could turn around, he launched himself out of his enclosure. It's a good thing it sits on the floor or the fall might have hurt him. I tried to lure him out from under the enclosure but failed. He crawled behind the bookcase, his favorite spot. I tried to lure him from there, but gave up and decided to wait him out. I didn't want to feed him out of his enclosure anyway. After a short while, he came prowling out, still looking for the mouse. With gloved hands, I scooped him up and returned him to his enclosure where he ate readily from the tongs.

I don't know what it is. Maybe, having settled in, he's becoming more bold. Maybe, it's the warmer weather, but his food drive is definitely getting stronger.
  • 04-14-2022, 11:09 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Last night was feeding time. I took one look at Wiggles and I knew there was going to be trouble. When I brought the warmed up mouse into the room, he was already surfing the glass. I managed to open his enclosure without being bitten. Picked up the mouse with my tongs, but before I could turn around, he launched himself out of his enclosure. It's a good thing it sits on the floor or the fall might have hurt him. I tried to lure him out from under the enclosure but failed. He crawled behind the bookcase, his favorite spot. I tried to lure him from there, but gave up and decided to wait him out. I didn't want to feed him out of his enclosure anyway. After a short while, he came prowling out, still looking for the mouse. With gloved hands, I scooped him up and returned him to his enclosure where he ate readily from the tongs.

I don't know what it is. Maybe, having settled in, he's becoming more bold. Maybe, it's the warmer weather, but his food drive is definitely getting stronger.

When any snake is ready to "launch" for a meal, never open the enclosure unless in one hand, you have the prey held with tongs, ready to offer ("put it in his face") immediately. ;) And try not to let him grab the tongs...:D

Aren't you glad this isn't a LARGE python? :rofl: (But he missed that memo...) My Spotted python is a "quick feeder" too- these are bold snakes, not BPs.
    Your snake is normal & healthy- this is just "who he is"- expect this from now on.
  • 04-14-2022, 11:39 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

When any snake is ready to "launch" for a meal, never open the enclosure unless in one hand, you have the prey held with tongs, ready to offer ("put it in his face") immediately. ;) And try not to let him grab the tongs...:D

Good advice.
    Quote:

Aren't you glad this isn't a LARGE python? :rofl: (But he missed that memo...) My Spotted python is a "quick feeder" too- these are bold snakes, not BPs.
    Your snake is normal & healthy- this is just "who he is"- expect this from now on.

It called to mind the stories I've heard of retics launching themselves out of their enclosures. That's not for me. I love my little monster but a big monster is too much monster for me.
  • 04-14-2022, 11:49 AM
    Bogertophis
    I'm with you...no "launching retics" for me either, though I've fed more than my share of large colubrids, a large BCI, & rattlesnakes, all of whose appetites & enthusiasm can be formidable too. ;)

You'll want to avoid a feeding bite from this Children's python at all costs- assuming he's like my Spotted python, he not only wraps firmly, he won't be talked out of whatever he catches. :cool: These are surprisingly strong snakes for being so little.
  • 04-14-2022, 12:12 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

I'm with you...no "launching retics" for me either, though I've fed more than my share of large colubrids, a large BCI, & rattlesnakes, all of whose appetites & enthusiasm can be formidable too. ;)

I can see why people love the retic attitude. I just prefer it in a more manageable-sized package.
    Quote:

You'll want to avoid a feeding bite from this Children's python at all costs- assuming he's like my Spotted python, he not only wraps firmly, he won't be talked out of whatever he catches. :cool: These are surprisingly strong snakes for being so little.

I'm learning. Hopefully, I won't have to learn the hard way.
  • 04-14-2022, 12:16 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

I can see why people love the retic attitude. I just prefer it in a more manageable-sized package.

I'm learning. Hopefully, I won't have to learn the hard way.

You now have the perfect little snek to practice on. :snake: (And you couldn't PAY me to take in a retic...)
  • 04-21-2022, 04:23 PM
    Homebody
    Last week, he tries to eat me, then, launches himself out of his enclosure at the mere smell of a mouse. This week, he refuses to eat. I guess I'll figure this guy out at some point, but I sure haven't yet.
  • 04-21-2022, 05:07 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Last week, he tries to eat me, then, launches himself out of his enclosure at the mere smell of a mouse. This week, he refuses to eat. I guess I'll figure this guy out at some point, but I sure haven't yet.

When did he last shed? That's the only time mine refuses, & even then it's not always. Remember, they know a shed is coming before we can see the signs. So I wouldn't worry. :snake:
  • 04-21-2022, 05:15 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

When did he last shed? That's the only time mine refuses, & even then it's not always. Remember, they know a shed is coming before we can see the signs. So I wouldn't worry. :snake:

That was my first thought as well, so I checked. His last shed was March 29th. Seems too soon for another shed, but he's young. Could be. I'm not worried, not after one missed feeding, but I am interested. I could see he wasn't hungry. At least not ravenous like last week. I briefly considered holding off, but he's a Children's python. They never refuse. Oh well, live and learn.
  • 04-21-2022, 05:21 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

That was my first thought as well, so I checked. His last shed was March 29th. Seems too soon for another shed, but he's young. Could be. I'm not worried, not after one missed feeding, but I am interested. I could see he wasn't hungry. At least not ravenous like last week. I briefly considered holding off, but he's a Children's python. They never refuse. Oh well, live and learn.

Still could be a shed coming, & maybe his most recent meal was on the "big" side for him? Anyway, it's only been a week since he ate last, right?
  • 04-21-2022, 05:29 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Still could be a shed coming, & maybe his most recent meal was on the "big" side for him? Anyway, it's only been a week since he ate last, right?

That's right. He actually ate twice last week if you count the chomp he took out of me :laughing:. Come to think of it. He has been keeping kind of a low profile, like he did before his last shed.
  • 04-21-2022, 05:55 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

That's right. He actually ate twice last week if you count the chomp he took out of me :laughing:. Come to think of it. He has been keeping kind of a low profile, like he did before his last shed.

Hahaha, "the chomp he took out of you"! Young snakes can easily shed every 3 weeks- there's no set schedule anyway & I suspect he's doing just fine. ;)

Though he might need a rabies shot now, come to think of it? :rofl:
  • 04-21-2022, 06:08 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

Young snakes can easily shed every 3 weeks- there's no set schedule anyway & I suspect he's doing just fine. ;)

Temps and humidity are on point. I don't have any other reason to think there's a problem. So, I'll expect a shed in the coming days.
  • 04-21-2022, 06:16 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Temps and humidity are on point. I don't have any other reason to think there's a problem. So, I'll expect a shed in the coming days.

It's obvious you just miss him "launching" at you- :snake2: LOL.
  • 04-21-2022, 06:30 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

It's obvious you just miss him "launching" at you- :snake2: LOL.

True. I was all set to face his flying fangs, so his indifference was disappointing. I expect he'll make up for it at his next feeding.
  • 04-27-2022, 09:55 PM
    Homebody
    Look who remembered feeding day!
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03487-2.jpg
    Fresh out of a shed and ready for action.
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03468-2.jpg
    Went off with out a hitch.
  • 04-27-2022, 10:51 PM
    Bogertophis
    I think you're doing a great job with this guy! Too bad the nickname "Fierce snake" is already taken by another species* though, eh? :D (*Inland/Western Taipan)
    It's obvious that he's really enjoying his home too. :gj:
  • 04-28-2022, 08:33 AM
    Homebody
    Quote:

I think you're doing a great job with this guy! Too bad the nickname "Fierce snake" is already taken by another species* though, eh? :D (*Inland/Western Taipan)
    It's obvious that he's really enjoying his home too. :gj:

Thanks. It's only been 6 months since Fonzie passed, so I really appreciate the reassurance.
  • 04-30-2022, 10:44 AM
    Homebody
    Cleaning Day! Yeh!
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...dsc03491.2.jpg

All my furnishings get a diluted chlorhexidine wipe down. This includes:

4 hides
    3 climbing branches
    2 water bowls
    1 repticarpet
    1 bench
    1 basking slate
    1 shedding stone
    1 fake foliage
    1 glass cover
    1 pvc shelf
    1 tub
    1 Golum.

To alleviate my concern with bacteria buildup in my repticarpet, I have two identical pieces that I alternate. So, I'll wash this one with Dawn dishwashing soap, dry it, put it away, and replace it with the piece I cleaned last month. All this takes me about an hour. It's not fun, but you do what you gotta do.