Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,227

2 members and 2,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons

Put it down already

Printable View

• 08-25-2009, 11:51 PM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Put it down already
    This post is not directed towards anyone in particular. It is just a topic that should bring some pretty interesting conversation if everyone keeps their cool.

I am seeing more and more threads where people are going above and beyond to keep deformed / undeveloped / dying hatchlings alive for as long as possible...

Why are you doing this? I think every case is different but in many cases it is just down right cruel and disgusting. Bad kinks, deformities, snakes that refuse to even swallow on their own after a couple attempts are all good examples. Quit thinking about your own heartbreak when you have to place the baby in the freezer and instead think about the hell you are putting that poor baby thru. It's NOT about you. Put the poor thing down already and move on!

:gj: you may now reply... keep your head about you and express your opinions on this touchy subject.
  • 08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
    briz
    Re: Put it down already
    I agree 100% with you. (Mike) Not every baby was meant to survive and there is no reason to prolong the inevitable. It's just natures way.
  • 08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
    Fallguy
    I feel the same. I think that after so much trying, you should be able to tell if the animal will be ok. We should all remember that we are in this for the animals, and we should do right by them.
  • 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
    wilomn
    You FREEZE your babies?

You're an evil evil man.

Old Indians will haunt your dreams.
  • 08-26-2009, 12:05 AM
    Mike Cavanaugh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    You FREEZE your babies?

You're an evil evil man.

Old Indians will haunt your dreams.

LOL!

When you get a chance Wes I would really be interested to hear your opinion on this subject.....
  • 08-26-2009, 12:08 AM
    wilomn
    I put them down. If it's kinked, not just bent a little, in the freezer. Same for any serious deformity, head, eyes, whatever. Fortunately it is rare, but I've been doing it long enough that I've seen a lot.

If it can't eat on it's own, drink by itself, move from warm to cold, it's culled.

Oh, by the way, going off the title of this thread, I was expecting something more along the lines of a Just say No thread.
  • 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM
    Bundu Boy
    A question that I would ask myself is

"Would it survive in the wild?"

If the answer is no then it is a candidate for euthanasia....
  • 08-26-2009, 01:34 AM
    bevilla
    Hi, talking about putting down, which are your methods? Which do you think is the most humain?

Thank you and sorry for hijack ur post
  • 08-26-2009, 01:37 AM
    blackcrystal22
    If its clearly not going to live normally, eat normally, or defecate normally, then yes, I will put it down.

I agree with you Mike. Hatchlings with such a low life quality should not be forced to live.
  • 08-26-2009, 04:50 AM
    mason
    100% agree.

I also this the practice (that's getting more widespread) of egg cutting isn't right.

Getting out of the egg is part of the animals natural development process, it helps provide them with strength they will need further down the line.

Now even newbie breeders think egg cutting, purely to find out whats in there, is perfectly normal. Sometimes I think people completely lose sight of the fact that breeding animals is you being allowed to participate and observe a natural process. They really do just see their animals as egg machines :(

I remember seeing pictures of a very, very well respected US breeders collection some years back (probably circa '99-00). one of his spiders was a corkscrewing trainwreck, his breeder male caramel albino was kinked like a golf club, I wonder what effect we'll see another 10 years down the line in this hobby from irresponsible practices and breeding.