Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,976

1 members and 1,975 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama

Is it Shedding time.

Printable View

• 07-25-2007, 12:42 AM
    bigrich0086
    Re: Is it Shedding time.
    can i use his hide on the cool side and put the mosit moss in there and let him get in form the bottom like normal or put i na diff one. i really dont have room with all the stuff to add in a humid box. im redoing the lid on his enclosure to cover it givin jsut enough for ventilation and hold in humidity. the humidifier i found was 15 bucks and it holds one gallon of water. once i get that ill be set for the humidity and expesially during winter time. its known to get 10 below here.
  • 07-25-2007, 12:54 AM
    dr del
    Hi,

No you really have to make it an extra hide not a replacement for one of his normal hides.

The size of your tank does tend to work against you humidity wise as it's a lot of air to moisten.

Several people on the site have used humidifiers before but they generally say they run dry too quickly (I think they burn out if that happens but I'm not sure so don't quote me) and since you said you were at work that might be a problem.

You might also need seperate heating for the cool side of your tank if it gets that bad -It's worth planning these things well in advance to avoid panic when speedbumps appear.

dr del
  • 07-25-2007, 01:00 AM
    bigrich0086
    ill have to say no to the moist box and ill get the humidifier and run that to kepe the humidity above 60%. i found a better oen that runs 2 gallons a day into the air and i beleive it shurts off when water is out. not sure and 2 gallons a day is mroe than enough to keep him happy. ill keep right by his tank so he gets the msot of it. this shed liek i said was my fault for having a hydrometer that was broken and didnt have the proper humidity.
  • 07-25-2007, 01:10 AM
    bigrich0086
    im pretty sure its the air temp and the heat mat factored in. wut you think. the thermostat shurts the UTh off at 94. its warm in my room with the ceiling fan running. the digi probe is inside his cave and its reading 98 but the glass isnt hot just a lil warm. so im guessing my room and the cave is keeping it warm. ambient air temp is at least 86 in my room adn wit the UTh kickin on and off every 10 mins keeps raising the temp in his hide. is high ambient air liek 98 bad for him since its nto a hot spot but warm air.
  • 07-25-2007, 01:28 AM
    dr del
    Hi,

Can that pump the humid air into the tank?

We have something that might work a little better - click

And to be honest everything that happens to your little guy good or bad is you fault.:P

Did you try turning the thermostat down a little? When we said you should leave time between adjustments to see how things settle this was the kind of thing we had in mind. You need to keep checking things occasionally to see how they change over time.

dr del
  • 07-25-2007, 02:22 AM
    bigrich0086
    it doenst pump into the tank it keeps the entire room humid. and yes i did turn it down a lil bit but the problem wsa my room was a bit toasty form the sun. my room holds heat well. its down to 93-94.4 now so its fine now.
  • 07-25-2007, 06:18 AM
    rabernet
    A smaller, more appropriately sized tub would have made this shed go so much better for you. You're experiencing the biggest complaint of glass enclosures. Just sayin.....:rolleyes: :cool:
  • 07-25-2007, 11:21 PM
    bigrich0086
    i picked up a humidifier that pumps 1.5 gallons of water wvery 24 hrs and shuts off when it dries out. i also bought another digi thermomter . the acu-rite oen form wlamart for $12. this is where im gettin at my old digi thermometer im gonan set up on the cool side and the new one im gonna set up on the warm side. where to i put the acu rite probe at so i get a good reading for heat and humidity
  • 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

Actually I would recomend putting the old and new ones together at the cool end and running the probes into the hot hide so you couls compare the 2 thermometers readings.

just my 0.02

dr del
  • 07-25-2007, 11:37 PM
    bigrich0086
    let me get this right. suction cup them both to the outside run the porbes insdie and put both probes o nthe warm end. or one on each side. oh ahd hes been climbing aroudn tonight and i noticed mroe skin is off him now Yaay shoudl i use the should i use the sticky side fo the probe on acu rite or just lay it in there