Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,448

0 members and 1,448 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma

When it rains...

Printable View

• 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
    Laooda
    Re: When it rains...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dr del
    Oh honey I am so sorry to hear about this. :( :grouphug:

I had saved the thread mentioned earlier about another snake damaged by regurge and it also mentions using really fatty rodents so maybe that is an important factor we need to get some professional opinions on?

http://www.reptilepets.co.za/rp06123b.htm

I think the original chemical burns are bad enough but that some kind of secondary reaction/ infection starts afterwards. :confuzd:

I think you are owed at least a gallon of ice cream per day for a couple of weeks for keeping people informed about this - maybe even with the information in the other thread combined this might lead to a discovery that makes sure no one else has to suffer it.

dr del

Thank you Derek........ :hug:

And THANK you for that link! I think your right... about the ice cream! :P
    Fat huggin to you....
  • 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastjungle
    I am soooo sorry for your loss. I lost my favorite girl last year and it still hurts when i think about her. I am a strong believer in finding the positive out of the negative. I thank you for sharing! I think we all can learn a really important lesson from your horrible experience and hopefully avoid this from happening to someone else. I never heard of high fat regurg, It could have happened to anyone and hopefully now it won't happen to any one else.

Raul, thank you for the uplifting words.... I also try to find good in the bad. In this case, I tell myself that it's good that this was a fast ordeal... instead of it being weeks of discomfort just to loose him then....... Hugs! :hug:
  • 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsation
    Laooda,

What a horrible thing you have gone through. I think you are such a sweet person and I feel terrible for you. How brave to post what you did I know it must of been difficult for you. And thank you for posting it, I still feel like I learn so much everyday about these snakes and honestly would have never of known this could happen, without your honesty and description of the events maybe none of us would of realized something like this could happen.

Big hugs to you!

Thanks Sin... I don't know about brave... haha! But thank you. Really... I also am knowledge hungry about these amazing creatures, and if anyone picks up a fatty feeder... just to put it back down... then I think all this was worth it... you know?

Big hugs to you too...
  • 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBallPython
    I'm sorry to hear about your little guy! I couldn't fathom losing one of my little ones. Hope you're doing okay! :hug:

Hey Jason! Thanks... much better today, thanks for asking! :hug:
  • 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    Oh sweet heart I am so sorry to hear that..Your in my prayers.

Thank you Ed. It's greatly appreciated! :hug:
  • 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
    kostas
    I am so sorry about your loss m8. :tears:
    I know how you feel right now. :tears:
    BIG HUG :hug:
  • 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjorn
    Hi Laooda,

Gee, really sorry to hear about your loss. This happened to me last year and the common factors seems to be the fat feeders.
    I made posts in various forums and posted the Regurgitated meal causes skin damage. article on my site.

The problem we experienced is how to get the fatty regurgitate out from under the scales, where if any residual material is left, it continues to eat at the under lying skin of the snake and cause infection and skin damage.

When washing the snake, wash only from head to tail. From tail to head may push residual material under the scales. Maybe followed by a good fine spray and or nail brush (gently) to try and wash any material out from under the scales.

In our case the area worst affected was the side of the snake and not the under belly.

A course of antibiotics would be a must. Skin damage is one thing, but at least the snake recovers. Infection however is terminal.

Chestnut, our survivor is doing well and eating like a horse. Scarring is still visible and maybe shows very slight improvement with each shed.

Wow... thank you so much. I agree... "common factors seems to be the fat feeders"

I never thought to try and get under his scales... but that makes perfect sense because that is where it began turning red. I was hoping that the Beta dine soaks would reach all areas.... I decided that if the 2nd round of blisters had not shown similar recovery signs as the round from the first day, that I'd have him to the vet on Mon. but the 3rd day... was like a time warp. I read about your Albino passing with worse damage, and figured in my case Nova's belly was affected first and worst because he had white scales there. I know in dogs, horses, white skin can=more delicate... Again, thank you for the link. I'm am so happy that Chestnut recovered.
    Maybe with our experiences combined, that we've helped others? Any way, thanks again... Laura
  • 04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MPenn
    Laura,

I am sorry for your loss and respect your bravery to post up the details you had in the face of possible persecution. It sounds to me that you did everything you could possibly do. I am sure that Nova passing will be a learning experience for everyone here. I, too, was unaware of problems with a fatty mouse and the regurge problem.

Hugs out to you sweetheart and keep your chin up!

*Muah* Thank you ........ that was my hope. I don't want anyone's snake, of any kind.. to have this happen. With similar stories appearing, I really believe it was the fatty content that was so damaging.....and confirms the cause?
    (((hug you)))
  • 04-02-2007, 01:53 PM
    Laooda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahMB
    Oh Laura, I am just so incredibly sorry for your loss. He was gorgeous, and I know you gave him the best care you could.
    I also want to thank you for posting about it, it will definitely help me in knowing what to watch for.
    :hug:

Thanks Sarah!! :hug: This has definitely been a learning experience...
  • 04-02-2007, 01:55 PM
    Laooda
    [QUOTE=adizziedoll]I just read this, and I am just falbberghasted. I had no idea regurge could be so darn dangerous - and I applaude you greatly for posting your experience. Nova was a beaut, and I am so sorry you lost him.

Thank you Adizziedoll....... really. :hug: