Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,715

1 members and 1,714 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
  • 04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
    mainbutter
    Re: hr669 send a tip to your local news
    I'm surprised no one really brings up the issue of locality risks.

I cannot think of a single reptile that has a risk of establishing itself in Minnesota.

Asian carp, snakeheads, yeah those should be and are already illegal here.

But if people ban burms "because they might invade us" with this bill, it's a nationwide ban, not just in the places where they pose a risk(ONLY florida).

Similarly (THIS IS TO YOU, FISH PEOPLE) pirhanas will be banned if this bill goes through. They have shown the ability to survive in warmer southern waters, but I don't think they have established themselves yet. They are illegal to own in a number of southern states already I believe.. I'm pretty sure Louisiana and Texas are among them. However, should people in the Northern states worry about "dangerous man-eating pirhanas" living through cold winters?

No.

This bill has no provisions in it for locality considerations. This is why this kind of regulation belongs at the state or county level.
  • 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
    Neal
    It's all global bans, not just region specific. Sure some snakes have the ability to establish in certain areas that are close in environment, but like you stated, Burms can't survive in the north like Michigan, Minnesota, those places get too cold. So I agree with you on that subject.
  • 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM
    RebelYell83
    the governments study shows the burm can live in norther ga,southern sc and across as far as texas,and in 5-10 years,can almsot live anywhere,,ofcourse,they did the study on the much smaller indian python,and not on the proper species,which cant even live in northern florida
  • 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
    cenobite74
    If your talking about the USGS survey there was zero scientific merit in that report anywhere.
  • 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
    mainbutter
    There is no truly scientific study that I know of that shows the burmese python can live outside of its already established territory in Florida.
  • 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
    AaronP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelYell83 View Post
    the governments study shows the burm can live in norther ga,southern sc and across as far as texas,and in 5-10 years,can almsot live anywhere,,ofcourse,they did the study on the much smaller indian python,and not on the proper species,which cant even live in northern florida

I can't vouch for Texas but I know for a fact that in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina a burmese python would freeze to death in late fall and in winter. Snakes in both regions do this nifty thing called brumation which allows them to survive late fall and winter.

I don't know where you get your information but it's pure hearsay and 0 fact.
  • 04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
    wolfy-hound
    Note: he did say they did the study with a diff python, and that the burmese couldn't even survive in north florida.
    That "study" is full of BS, written specificaly for fear and panic.