Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,969

0 members and 1,969 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
  • 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
    wolfy-hound
    I just got a 50lb bag of hog feed and it's in the little pellets too(I didn't think to ask what size) so I'm just putting it in. I know some will get wasted, but they do tend to eat most of their food.
  • 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM
    Chewy
    I bought a 50lb bag of hog food in block form from underground reptiles for $25 or 30 picked up. Not bad.
  • 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM
    Focal X
    I paid about $113 after tax for 300lbs of mazuri at the local shop ($17.95/50lb bag). I've noticed the ammonia level is a lot stronger with mazuri but this will do for the next couple of months. Family owned business and after making a nice sized transaction they wouldn't even let our kid use their bathroom :rolleyes:
  • 04-01-2012, 03:27 AM
    Fila
    Re: No more Native Earth on National Pet Pharmacy?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I was never able to find hog feed in any form other than something that looks like rabbit pellets, which is useless for a rodent rack.

What you need to ask for is sow cubes, or sow blocks, the smaller pellets are usually fed to smaller pigs, but for breeding sows most farmers use the larger cubes, less waste. Purina makes one that my rats love, i alternate and mix it with the Mazuri 7f. For a treat they get stuff from the garden.
  • 04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
    jben
    Looks like I'll have to buy hog feed as well but not sure which one. I called agway today and they confused me even more. So which feed are you guys buying?

Sent from my HTC Evo Design using Tapatalk.
  • 04-02-2012, 12:03 AM
    wolfy-hound
    You also have to make sure the hog food is non-medicated. Just as a head's up.

Thanks for the info on the term for the cubes.
  • 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM
    RobNJ
    As much as I'd hate to keep this thread straying further from the original topic, I'm wondering if calf/cow feed is good for rats/mice. I went to the local feed store and compared cow feed to hog feed, and they are very similar...the only glaring difference being that the cow feed doesn't contain any animal protein. Even so, it's slightly higher in protein content, and slightly lower in crude fat...with a minimal difference in calcium and other things.

The only reason I had even thought of it is that the cow feed comes in nice blocks/cubes that would work well in a rack system.
  • 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM
    wolfy-hound
    Usually cattle feed has a lot of alfalfa type fodder in the ingredients. I'd check the ingredients for stuff that rats can't use(not being ruminants).
  • 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
    JohnNJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
    I paid about $113 after tax for 300lbs of mazuri at the local shop ($17.95/50lb bag). I've noticed the ammonia level is a lot stronger with mazuri but this will do for the next couple of months. Family owned business and after making a nice sized transaction they wouldn't even let our kid use their bathroom :rolleyes:

Was it the 25lb bags of standard rodent block or 6F? Several people have posted that they were able to purchase Mazuri for less than $20 per 50lb bag but when I call the stores they say they don't have it for that price. My local feed store said that $18 per bag is below their cost.

Which store did you purchase it from?
  • 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
    bmcculler
    tried the cattle food and lost production and started to babies not put on weight the smell got real bad after 2 days so i was cleaning more they alos drank 5 times more water and ate 2x the food so i just swaped back to native earth a little over a month ago and the production weight gain and smell all went back to normal