Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,081

0 members and 2,081 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM
    DestinyLynette
    Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
  • 08-13-2013, 11:35 PM
    Raven01
    Re: News: 2 die in rock python attack
    Whether or not the snake did kill the kids, I think we all agree that the keeping of this snake in the manner it was kept is not something any of us would condone.

FFS, I insist on corn snakes being kept in locking cages they cannot escape from because I don't want to have to search for them. Let alone a snake over 10 feet that could pose a threat to another person or pet. We usually know enough to have a second competent person to handle such animals as they do remain wild even if we can desensitize them to their fear response to human and they tolerate us interacting with them very well.
    None of us I would hope would even consider inviting more children over if there was an escaped large snake unaccounted for.

Long and short the keeper should be charged with negligence at the very least.

Lack of clear information is not helping. But, it seems that the snake is not really even the issue as much as an irresponsible person is. Unless he was unaware the snake had escaped and it had never done so before.
  • 08-13-2013, 11:47 PM
    sunshinenorcas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
    Whether or not the snake did kill the kids, I think we all agree that the keeping of this snake in the manner it was kept is not something any of us would condone.

FFS, I insist on corn snakes being kept in locking cages they cannot escape from because I don't want to have to search for them. Let alone a snake over 10 feet that could pose a threat to another person or pet. We usually know enough to have a second competent person to handle such animals as they do remain wild even if we can desensitize them to their fear response to human and they tolerate us interacting with them very well.
    None of us I would hope would even consider inviting more children over if there was an escaped large snake unaccounted for.

Long and short the keeper should be charged with negligence at the very least.

Lack of clear information is not helping. But, it seems that the snake is not really even the issue as much as an irresponsible person is. Unless he was unaware the snake had escaped and it had never done so before.

I agree. If it was the snake, the snake was being a snake- even if it was constricting and attempting to eat the kids. It's a snake. There's not a lot of cognitive thought in there, definitely not a lot of malice, it's just doing what it does. The owner is the one who should be held responsible, full stop. And usually in cases like this, it IS the owners (or at least, a persons) fault. It's extremely rare that an animal- any animal- kills with out some precursor whether its poor husbandary, poor socialization, poor training, or some combination, or the animal has a neurological issue (I heard a story about this really sweet dog who tore into his owner who had to be hospitalized, dog got put down, and it turned out that he had a tumor that was probably very painful which is most likely why he lashed out). It's very rare for an animal to be truly 'malicious' or 'mean' where it goes out of its way to hurt or be defensive. Most of the time, the situations are what we shape them to be.
  • 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM
    thedarkwolf25
    The 2 deaths in Canada are now being looked at as a possible murder
  • 08-14-2013, 05:56 AM
    Mr Oni
    For those who dont wanna click the link ;)

Investigations into two young Canadian brothers thought to be strangled by a python has taken a twist, with police now treating it as a possible murder.

Connor Barthe, 7, and brother Noah, 5, were killed while they slept in an apartment above an exotic pet store, but there were no screams.

It comes after the mother of the pair posted hundreds of photos of her boys taken last year, playing in and cleaning her neighbours snake cage.

Police have stepped up their inquiries, but won’t release further details until full post mortem results are known.

Snake experts have also raised questions stating pythons seeking food always bite first.

John Marais from the African Snake Bite Institute said “if it grabs a kid, you’re going to have more than enough time to scream”.

“You can’t be asleep and be bitten by a python and strangled. That’s impossible,” Mr Marais told News Limited. “You’re going to wake up instantly.”

It’s believed the non-poisonous rock python escaped its enclosure and got into the ventilation system, before slithering into the apartment where the boys were sleeping.
  • 08-14-2013, 05:58 AM
    Chkadii
    The 2 deaths in Canada are now being looked at as a possible murder
    It's about time! That was the most contrived story.... I hope the mother of those kids finds justice and peace.
  • 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM
    CrystalRose
    I'm glad to see they are looking at other possible options besides just the snake. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is.
  • 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM
    Neal
    When this happened my coworkers all asked me stuff regarding this and I said from day one that the facts don't add up. Now I'm just being proven right.
  • 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
    mrkrec
    Re: The 2 deaths in Canada are now being looked at as a possible murder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thedarkwolf25 View Post

Yeah, this link is from back on the 8th. I haven't seen any other reports of a murder investigation since then. A quick search came up empty. Not sure how accurate this report is.
  • 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
    sissysnakes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkrec View Post
    Yeah, this link is from back on the 8th. I haven't seen any other reports of a murder investigation since then. A quick search came up empty. Not sure how accurate this report is.

Ya, I looked around yesterday and didn't find any other sources backing this up. Does anyone know of a link stating the autopsy reports? All I found was that the children has been asphyxiated, but that further testing was required.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2