Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,455

3 members and 2,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
  • 01-04-2019, 12:41 AM
    dakski
    Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet - FINAL - Progression Thread
    Yafe is doing really well; much better.

I hope everyone understands that I couldn't move him sooner (vet said no infection for 4 weeks post antibiotics to ensure he wasn't contagious) and that I wasn't neglecting him, and did the best I could to keep humidity up in his quarantine tank, but the new tank is making a big difference.

He sounds 80% better already - after 4 days in the new tank. The temps are the same as the old 10 gallon, but, obvisouly, there is much more of a gradient for him. Additionally, humidity averages about 55%, even in the dry winter here in CT and with the heat running, and I mist once a day to keep it over 60% for a good portion of the day. The consistent humidity is helping him tremendously, I believe anyway. A few pops today, a couple small "puffs," but no major wheezing or frequent puffs.

It occurred to me that even if he has permanent scarring in his lung, etc. As he grows, the scarring will stay the same size, but his lung, etc. will become larger, making it (the scarring) less significant, and allowing him to become more comfortable with time. He's all of 130G or so now. He will be 10X+ that size when full grown.

He also may just need more time at proper and consistent humidity levels and temp levels. That's my hope anyway.

I had him out for all of 3 minutes today and he was calm as can be and seemed comfortable. However, I did not push it. I did talk to the breeder, who made a good point about the squeezing and uncomfortableness, etc. He said that part of that could be increased stress as he is not used to being handled much. He wasn't handled much at the breeder and hasn't been much here with me and Katie. Not sure how to balance that with giving him time and low stress to heal, but I plan to lean more on the letting him heal and keeping stress levels low (i.e. not much handling) for a while.

Here's a video from today of me taking him out of his new digs for the first time: https://streamable.com/ti5ak

Here's happy tongue flicks! https://streamable.com/8x2yq

Pictures of him from today and enjoying the new digs:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/3L9qDQu.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ij6Hd7m.jpg

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ZPsYazX.jpg[/IMG]

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ScARCkv.jpg
  • 01-04-2019, 01:25 AM
    pretends2bnormal
    For what it's worth, a friend took in a young carpet that was passed on to a rescue from a breeder that has to downsize for some reason. No RI, but for a while he would suddenly constrict very hard on whatever he was gripping, almost as if killing prey, but no food around or other feeding response signs present. That has pretty much gone away with time and handling now and we're pretty sure he had barely been handled before.

My carpet does tend to grab more tightly for a short time when I try to move him off of where he has a good grip (i.e. one hand to another while cleaning). The tight grabbing may be somewhat reflexive to him trying to keep himself in his mind safely anchored to his tree. We move more tha their cage decor, so even if we feel like we are still, they probably still feel the minor shifts of muscles and stuff beneath them.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm inclined to agree with that being related to his relative lack of handling. Since he isn't defensive or nippy, even with infrequent handling while he heals, it may start to fade away as he gets used to you even without any rigorous handling.

So glad to hear he's doing well; all his threads have been a roller coaster to follow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 01-04-2019, 03:41 AM
    richardhind1972
    Most breeders don't tend to handle much at all except for basic maintenance, he will soon get used to it, nice to see him chilling in the open in his new Viv, obviously feels comfortable in there, great little video
    Really love his heat pits

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
  • 01-04-2019, 06:20 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    For what it's worth, a friend took in a young carpet that was passed on to a rescue from a breeder that has to downsize for some reason. No RI, but for a while he would suddenly constrict very hard on whatever he was gripping, almost as if killing prey, but no food around or other feeding response signs present. That has pretty much gone away with time and handling now and we're pretty sure he had barely been handled before.

My carpet does tend to grab more tightly for a short time when I try to move him off of where he has a good grip (i.e. one hand to another while cleaning). The tight grabbing may be somewhat reflexive to him trying to keep himself in his mind safely anchored to his tree. We move more tha their cage decor, so even if we feel like we are still, they probably still feel the minor shifts of muscles and stuff beneath them.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm inclined to agree with that being related to his relative lack of handling. Since he isn't defensive or nippy, even with infrequent handling while he heals, it may start to fade away as he gets used to you even without any rigorous handling.

So glad to hear he's doing well; all his threads have been a roller coaster to follow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pretends2bnormal,

Really good info here. Thank you!

These made me feel much better (the part about the squeezing while getting used to gentle handling). I really appreciate it.

Thank you for the kind words; he's been through a lot! I think between everything, he has a lot of good time ahead to relax and enjoy life and to get used to a gentle and loving Dad and Momma.

It's also hard to pinpoint exactly what is or might be causing any one symptom because of all the variables!

Thank you again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Most breeders don't tend to handle much at all except for basic maintenance, he will soon get used to it, nice to see him chilling in the open in his new Viv, obviously feels comfortable in there, great little video
    Really love his heat pits

Thank you Rich. It's funny. The lights are out for all of 3 minutes and there's Yafe, all over the place, and all over those PVC "branches!"

Don't get me wrong Rich, I love me some boids! However, who doesn't love some nice heat pits! Hence, two pythons in the collection!
  • 01-04-2019, 09:53 AM
    WhompingWillow
    We haven't been able to handle Bridget (Granite IJ) much due to her still not eating consistently, but the couple of times I have had to move her to a tub for cage maintenance, she's had a pretty good grip. Not one that's constant, but off and on. If you think about it, with carpets being semi-arboreal, especially while young, they rely on that tail so much. Makes sense for him to use it to hang on. :)
  • 01-04-2019, 04:39 PM
    dakski
    Yafe peed and I took him out briefly to clean his tank.

I found him on his perch (in the warm spot) this morning - see below picture.

When I went to take him off of it, after a gentle rub with the hook, he distinctly hissed at me! I was pretty sure he did a little yesterday too, but there was no mistaking it today!

He hissed continually until I got him off the perch and then stopped and curled up around my arm and chilled.

He is all "bluff and puff" and absolutely no bite whatsoever. I am not concerned. Even Shayna, sweet BP Shayna, played that game when I got her at 200G. They like to test limits, I get it. However, I don't play that game with them. They get scooped up gently and I work with them so they know a) that doesn't work/fly with me and b) I will never hurt them. It took about 3 times for Shayna to grow out of it and quit that hissing nonsense. We will see what it takes with Yafe.

Fewer pops today and some puffs, but he seemed very calm and relaxed and was tongue flicks galore. To be clear, I did not have him out more than a minute or two, aside from the holding container to clean the tank, and that included weighing him.

I am very happy, he is putting on weight. He is due to poop, but was 150G today after a pee. He was 115G before he started eating with me after all the RI treatments were over. That's not all poop. He's definitely putting on some weight; excellent.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/2Ugn6ds.jpg
  • 01-04-2019, 05:12 PM
    richardhind1972
    That’s such great news he is putting weigh on Dave, funny when the little one hiss. I always used to still scoop them up too. As say shows your not going to harm them.Remarkable loud for something so small sometimes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • 01-04-2019, 05:37 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Great news Dave. Sounds like Yafe is getting bigger and better.
  • 01-04-2019, 06:07 PM
    Bogertophis
    I'd take his hissing at you as a positive sign...it means he's feeling good enough, feisty enough, to defend himself. Sick snakes tend to be overly-passive.
    Go Yafe! :snake2: hahaha! (And it's not "personal" either...once you re-connected with him via touch he settled right down.)
  • 01-04-2019, 09:05 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd take his hissing at you as a positive sign...it means he's feeling good enough, feisty enough, to defend himself. Sick snakes tend to be overly-passive.
    Go Yafe! :snake2: hahaha! (And it's not "personal" either...once you re-connected with him via touch he settled right down.)

I had the same thought.

Good to see him show some chutzpah, as we say in Yiddish.

Sure beats the alternative of him not having any spunk!

I absolutely did not take the hissing personally. If anything, it looks like he really likes the new tank and he’s defending it. That’s good news.
  • 01-05-2019, 12:45 AM
    zina10
    Hissing is imho not always aggression or defensiveness.

Its simply an expression. They do not have to many, and that is one of them. I never worry about hissing, unless its in conjunction with an upraised upper body or neck, head facing me, staring me down, tight s-curve. Then I may think, hm, I may get tagged.

A hissing while getting disturbed is akin to us saying "aaaaaawwwwww man" while someone shakes us to wake us up, and we don't feel like getting up. I don't even pay attention to it. They certainly have a right to voice their opinion, LOL.

I've been bitten 4 times since owning snakes (never by Ball Pythons). 2 out of them were nothing. Tiny Green Tree Python hatchlings that were taking a pop at me. Didn't even feel it, even though it left tiny marks. One was a carpet python. I felt that one. But again, no big deal. The 4th one Redtail Boa. OUCH. Definitely felt that one!!!

Neither of those hissed. Struck and bit faster then a speeding bullet ;)

A bit of complaining doesn't bother me at all. I find it sort of cute when they talk back a bit :D
  • 01-05-2019, 03:20 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Its simply an expression. They do not have to many, and that is one of them. I never worry about hissing, unless its in conjunction with an upraised upper body or neck, head facing me, staring me down, tight s-curve. Then I may think, hm, I may get tagged.

A hissing while getting disturbed is akin to us saying "aaaaaawwwwww man" while someone shakes us to wake us up, and we don't feel like getting up. I don't even pay attention to it. They certainly have a right to voice their opinion, LOL.

I've been bitten 4 times since owning snakes (never by Ball Pythons). 2 out of them were nothing. Tiny Green Tree Python hatchlings that were taking a pop at me. Didn't even feel it, even though it left tiny marks. One was a carpet python. I felt that one. But again, no big deal. The 4th one Redtail Boa. OUCH. Definitely felt that one!!!

A bit of complaining doesn't bother me at all. I find it sort of cute when they talk back a bit :D

^^ This ^^

I've had a few Burms over the years including a Half Dwarf Hypo ... anyways they're were all puppy tame and each one used to HISS whenever I reached in to touch them ... it seemed to be default reaction to being disturbed . They never bit or even struck though ..
    Just hissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 01-05-2019, 03:43 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    ^^ This ^^

I've had a few Burms over the years including a Half Dwarf Hypo ... anyways they're were all puppy tame and each one used to HISS whenever I reached in to touch them ... it seemed to be default reaction to being disturbed . They never bit or even struck though ..
    Just hissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you both. I never thought of that, for some reason!

It was hardly aggressive, so you may have a really good point.
  • 01-05-2019, 02:24 PM
    Bogertophis
    No, it's not "aggressive", just expressing his opinion. :snake:"I vant to be alone & I just got comfortable, for Pete's sake."

You can't blame him for asscociating you with treatments- I think it might wear off in time, assuming the best, of course.
  • 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM
    dakski
    A little less hissing today and a happy Yafe, with much less popping and puffing noises when he came out. He wasn't out long, again, but he peed again. Boy did he pee! 10G worth of pee and urate. He was 150G yesterday and 140G today!

Here is a video of him going back in his tank: https://streamable.com/yz4f3

Here is a picture of him showing of his "carpet python" skills! "Look Dad! You know I can hang on one branch. But, did you know I can hang on both at the same time?"

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/LL1lnqd.jpg
  • 01-05-2019, 09:38 PM
    Bogertophis
    Such talent! Where's the Hollywood agents when you need them? He's looking great! "Happy tongue" indeed...

Those perches just lift out, don't they? Why not put something on them for more traction? (could even be a few replaceable
    rubber bands)

I was just thinking, even parents of HUMAN babies don't weigh their kids before & after poo...:rofl:
  • 01-06-2019, 08:46 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Such talent! Where's the Hollywood agents when you need them? He's looking great! "Happy tongue" indeed...

Those perches just lift out, don't they? Why not put something on them for more traction? (could even be a few replaceable
    rubber bands)

I was just thinking, even parents of HUMAN babies don't weigh their kids before & after poo...:rofl:

LOL. Yeah, he's pretty talented. Really getting the carpet python thing down. He was in a tub previously, but instinct is kicking in!

The perches do lift out, but they are cut to size and fit in pretty well and are roughed up with sand paper. They have yet to turn. However, he is small now. The rubber bands are a great idea, especially as he gets bigger and heavier.

Finally, last time I checked, human babies don't pee and poo once a week or every couple of weeks respectively. Makes weighing a lot easier. Also, I won't be as particular about it when he's totally out of the woods. I literally hadn't weighed him since he started eating (tried to leave him alone to heal). Then 2X in 2 days. Trying to get a baseline. I'm bad, but not that bad. Give me a little credit Bogertophis!
  • 01-06-2019, 11:19 AM
    EL-Ziggy
    Yafe looks good in the new digs Dave. He's the master of his domain :). I love those perches too. Does boaphile sell them separately? I wonder if they'd fit a 4ft AP cage.
  • 01-06-2019, 11:44 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Yafe looks good in the new digs Dave. He's the master of his domain :). I love those perches too. Does boaphile sell them separately? I wonder if they'd fit a 4ft AP cage.

Thanks EL-Ziggy. He really does. It's so gratifying to see him happy and enjoying his new home. He's definitely the "Master of His Domain!" Hence hissing at me. "Dad, this is my house! I MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!"

The perches are PVC pipe. Jeff Ronne/The Boaphile sends one size with the tanks, and places the holders wherever you want them (my tank was custom as he generally makes arboreal tanks no bigger than 3FT and only has one PVC pipe holder). However, I got that black PVC, cut to size, for $8 at home depot.

Jeff sent 1 7/8" in white, but I liked the black and grabbed some 2" at home depot. The holders will hold 13/16" all the way to 2 3/8". The holders are roughed up as well as the PVC (I used a quick sand paper job to rough up the new PVC pipe so it wouldn't spin and to give Yafe more grip) and do not spin.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/arborealcages.html

I imagine Jeff could sell you the holders separately and you could install them in any tank. A couple screws hold them in and then you could get PVC pipe to fit tight in whatever size tank you have.
  • 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM
    dakski
    Yafe ate 5 days ago, but I wanted to get him on a Sunday feeding schedule along with all the other snakes.

I figured I'd offer tonight and if he didn't eat, I'd offer again next Sunday.

Not only did he eat, he ate from his top branch! It was awesome to see him eating like a true Carpet Python! GO YAFE!

He must be feeling much better and getting his strength back!

I am so happy.

He will be on a weekly feeding schedule for a bit and then as he gets bigger, every two weeks, and eventually, possibly every 3 weeks, depending on the size meals I feed him.

Here are pictures of him eating the "Carpet Python Way" and then finishing swallowing and feeling full and happy.

P.S. EL-Ziggy and Bogertophis, notice the rubber bands! The top perch was cut perfectly and fits really snug. The bottom one, not as well. The rubber bands help a lot. The ones I got from Jeff are both very snug and there is no issue. If cut with a table saw, I imagine it would be better, but for $8, home depot cut with a human and a regular saw. I wanted to see how this size fit, but if I get more, I'll have them cut with a table saw, or I'll have my buddy who has one cut them for me.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/fRzOXwa.jpg

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/IOxdtAl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/QEWMOfi.jpg[/IMG]
  • 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM
    dakski
    Yafe seems to be doing great. I have a few pictures below.

He still makes some noises, but they are much quieter and fewer than before.

He is, as previous posts show, pounding and gobbling down food, now rat fuzzy's - even while wrapped around his perch. This shows he is getting both his appetite and his strength back.

I've left him alone the past two days to digest since his last meal, but took him out briefly tonight to check his tank for waste and see how he was doing.

He scared me in two ways tonight.

First, he's really getting his spunk back. I touched him with the hook, as usual, and got a little hiss, but it's getting less each time. Then, when I went to pick him up off his branch, he made several darty movements, including one towards my hand. At first, it scared me and I expected a bite. However, I figured out pretty quickly that wasn't going to happen, and he was just a little nervous. He let me untangle him and start to get him out of the tank, but as I started to pull him out, he quickly wrapped 50% of his body around the front branch/perch! What a rascal. At this point he was calm, but determined! Did I mention he's getting his strength back? After a minute of gentle unravelling, I got him out of his tank and he was calm and inquisitive.

Secondly, for a minute after I got him out, NO TONGUE FLICKS! Oh no! I was starting to freak out! I was looking at his nostrils, checking around his mouth and nostrils for mucus or discharge, etc. All of a sudden, with my head about 5 inches from his face, he has this huge yawn! I mean EPIC yawn. All of a sudden, tongue flick galore again! Not sure what that was all about, but I'll keep on eye on him. Either way, big relief. Can snakes get a "frog" in their throat like humans when we first wake up?

He was out for about 3-4 minutes and was calm and seemingly happy and chill the whole time. No unusual squeezes, no weird movements, and the noises did not get worse at all over that period of time.

Finally, his colors are looking better than ever. He is really glowing! I am hoping he sheds soon since he's finally eating regularly. However, he was definitely not at his best color wise when he was sick!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/7B8shfS.jpg

"Good morning Yafe!"

"Dad, are you kidding me? I just went to sleep!"

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/DgwZEuK.jpg
  • 01-09-2019, 03:40 AM
    richardhind1972
    He really is so cute Dave, glad he's doing so well for you

• 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
    Bogertophis
    Your little "baby" is growing up, lol. Learning to play tug o'war & yawning in your face, how rude! ;) Sounds to me like he has a sense of humor.

Just be sure he doesn't get a chance to play hide & seek...
  • 01-09-2019, 01:37 PM
    dakski
    Quote:

Your little "baby" is growing up, lol. Learning to play tug o'war & yawning in your face, how rude! ;) Sounds to me like he has a sense of humor.

Just be sure he doesn't get a chance to play hide & seek...

NO HIDE AND SEEK! For any of the animals! :)
  • 01-09-2019, 04:58 PM
    dakski
    Yafe peed and urated last night. I cleaned up today and put him in his holding container. Happy tongue all the way! I am very happy. I also snapped a few shots before I took him out and when I put him back, as well as a video of him in his container with happy tongue and being chill. He seems perfectly fine today. What a relief.

Link to Happy Tongue video: https://streamable.com/3qgo6

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FUVPdk4.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/1SvJxA8.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Q1yzmEH.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/YTDTuap.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/cFyS5ZT.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/msm3xWK.jpg
  • 01-11-2019, 01:40 AM
    dakski
    Big breakthrough with Yafe today!

I rubbed him with the hook, picked him up, and guess what? Not one hiss! Big step forward!

Video of hook rubbing and grabbing Yafe with my hand without a hiss! https://streamable.com/cfwx8
  • 01-11-2019, 01:45 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post

I rubbed him with the hook, picked him up, and guess what? Not one hiss! Big step forward!

Video of hook rubbing and grabbing Yafe with my hand without a hiss! https://streamable.com/cfwx8

Glad you had a good day with him but I wouldn't count my hisses for a while...snakes aren't in the same mood every day any more than we are,
    and whether he hisses or not, he's not mad at you anyway...and he's looking good.
  • 01-11-2019, 01:49 AM
    scarThePiedBall
    Quote:

:gj:
  • 01-11-2019, 01:52 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Glad you had a good day with him but I wouldn't count my hisses for a while...snakes aren't in the same mood every day any more than we are,
    and whether he hisses or not, he's not mad at you anyway...and he's looking good.

LOL! Not my first rodeo, or snake, or animal, who ever hissed at me! I would be surprised if this was it for hisses from the little guy! However, I'll take no hissing today as a small victory, and a positive step. Especially given that he's been hissing consistently since being in the new tank, and feeling better, every time I've taken him out.

I learned a long time ago to be realistic, but also to count your blessings. Today I had one, even if it was small, and maybe temporary, with Yafe.
  • 01-11-2019, 02:02 AM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

LOL! Not my first rodeo, or snake, or animal, who ever hissed at me! I would be surprised if this was it for hisses from the little guy! However, I'll take no hissing today as a small victory, and a positive step. Especially given that he's been hissing consistently since being in the new tank, and feeling better, every time I've taken him out.

I learned a long time ago to be realistic, but also to count your blessings. Today I had one, even if it was small, and maybe temporary, with Yafe.

Oh OK then, go ahead & celebrate...:dance::carrot::bounce: I know what you mean... :D
  • 01-14-2019, 02:30 AM
    dakski
    A few updates.

1. Yafe came out again without a hiss!

2. Yafe made a new friend - my niece! He was a total gentleman! She was a gentle girl, as always.

3. Yafe ate another Rat Fuzzy (16G), from his branch again, tonight!

He's well on his way to being a happy, and as healthy as he can be, snake.

Also, for the record, he did not come out for two days before being handled by my niece, in anticipation of, and he wasn't out long, and did great, and is sounding and acting better than ever.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/0Tj0UhN.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/azkDCuS.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/U043OSg.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/xJHbqLo.jpg
  • 01-14-2019, 02:43 AM
    Bogertophis
    Sure looks like he's doing great but I'm almost afraid to say so- I don't want the little rascal to backslide for attention again. ;)
  • 01-17-2019, 03:22 AM
    dakski
    Guess who's looking pretty good these days? Guess who's got muscle tone and color and happy tongue? Guess who's climbing like a BOSS Carpet Python?

Yafe, that's who!

Oh, and guess who hasn't hissed at his Dad when he gets picked up, in over a week (3X times getting picked up)?

​Video of Yafe Carpet Pythoning Like a Total Boss and Wrapping Around His Favorite Spot on the "Branch." https://streamable.com/fbkar

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/amnMKRe.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/YuDbz3F.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/MSD3sVB.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/QYRPnVq.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Uax3z58.jpg
  • 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
    EL-Ziggy
    That's great news Dave. It looks and sounds like Yafe is really thriving now! Woo-hoo!!
  • 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
    Bogertophis
    :carrot::dance::pinkele::banana:YESSSSSSS! :sweeet:
  • 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM
    dakski
    Good news and eh news, but I think they are related.

Over the past week, Yafe's popping/puffing noises have seemed to get a little worse. Again, no discharge, still happy tongue, still alert and he's been eating, etc.

However, I think there's a good reason.

I think he's finally going to shed!

I've attached a couple of pictures, but it's so hard to see with his eyes. It looks like he's starting to cloud over and he's acting like it too. When I went to check on him the other day, he was very reactionary. Very jumpy and seemed startled by the hook and my touch. He lunged/jumped several times when touched, but not towards me or striking, etc. Just, obviously startled and trying to be on guard in case he had to get away. NO hissing and NO striking despite not being able to see well! He's doing really well in that regard. As soon as I picked him up, he calmed right down as well. His skin looks a little faded and a little wrinkled, but he's so bright, it's hard to tell.

Hopefully, I will be reporting a shed soon and also that some of the noise has cleared up as well. I am hopeful that any residual gunk in his nostrils clears out with the old skin.

EDIT: Additionally, he has not been climbing, which is unusual for him, but rather, been curled up in his hides.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/iCPYZZu.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/m38dvBR.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/FxsrPgy.jpg
  • 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
    Bogertophis
    I agree, he's going into shed & growing up! ;) And he's smart enough not to climb when his clothes might fall off, lol. Good snakey!
  • 01-19-2019, 01:55 PM
    richardhind1972
    Definitely sounds like he’s going into shed I noticed my male albino gets a bit whistley in his nostrils around him shedding, but gone as soon as he sheds,must be the loose skin inside his nostrils

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • 01-19-2019, 01:59 PM
    Bogertophis
    Shed- you can also tell by the way his skin dimples slightly near the second curve in above photo. It's hard to see the clouding on albino types, but the skin
    texture also gives it away. ;)
  • 01-20-2019, 11:31 PM
    cletus
    Great news dakski!
  • 01-21-2019, 01:50 AM
    dakski
    No shed as of today. I fed the rest of the crew tonight, but I skipped Yafe, and will offer after he sheds. He should shed any day now, if not tonight.

He's been in the warm hide curled up for 3 days now. I've kept humidity averaging around 65-70% instead of 55-60% or so.
  • 01-21-2019, 01:58 AM
    tickyyy
    share pics when he sheds
  • 01-23-2019, 04:46 AM
    dakski
    Woke up at 2AM this morning and was kind go restless.

I went downstairs, and guess who was on his branch/perch for the first time in a while?

Also, guess who shed? A perfect shed too.

Yafe!

I quickly defrosted a small rat fuzzy (about 12G), but he showed no interest. Not sure if he's not in the mood, it was too small, or what, but I am not worried at all.

Feeding day here for the snakes is Sunday. I wanted to offer something smaller so he would eat Sunday with everyone else, but also to see if he would go after a smaller prey item now that he's been eating normally for a bit.

Not necessarily a controlled experiment, but I'll offer something bigger on Sunday and see what happens.

I would have be fine with him eating, but I am also interested to see how he sounds tomorrow. I imagine it can only be better, or the same. I am hoping shedding got some residual stuff out of his nose, etc.

Additionally, he is due to poop, but he's a python, and growing, so I am not too worried. It's been a little bit, but again, python, growing, and he is showing no signs of being backed up at all and has been urinating normally.

I'll try to report tomorrow on how he sounds and get some better pictures with the lights on!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/CFFKTEk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JTdYiaC.jpg?1
  • 01-23-2019, 05:10 AM
    richardhind1972
    Really glad he a good shed, sometimes the antibiotics make them have rubbish sheds

• 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM
    dakski
    I took Yafe out this morning.

He still has some residual noise and when out for a bit, the noises get a little worse. He also made several movements to indicate he was uncomfortable after a bit. However, the noises, which were only pops, at their absolute worst, where quieter than they were a week ago at the quietest they got. So that's really good.

He's looking amazing and seems happy. Lots of tongue flicks and he's very gentle.

He also weighed in at 165G today. He was 120G when we got him. He is due to use the bathroom, but still, he's a growing boy.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/ZU9ZIV4.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/yvQj1Ex.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/KxgrRVB.jpghttps://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Q2JiD5B.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/Lbhwwxv.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/uilQE7B.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/sVKwvES.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V5TsmCK.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/vHsevfy.jpg?1

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/dv4bHHB.jpg

• 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
    richardhind1972
    Really glad yafe is putting weight on for you, suppose it's like having pneumonia, that scars your lungs too

• 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
    Bogertophis
    Looking good, Yafe! :gj:

He probably didn't eat because he was not focused on food yet, having just shed...it doesn't always pay to be a "helicopter". ;)
  • 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM
    dakski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really glad yafe is putting weight on for you, suppose it's like having pneumonia, that scars your lungs too

The good news is if he has scars, they won't get bigger and he will, so they will have less of an impact on him as he ages and grows.

Quote:

Looking good, Yafe! :gj:

He probably didn't eat because he was not focused on food yet, having just shed...it doesn't always pay to be a "helicopter". ;)

Understood and agreed. I offered quick, he refused. I took out the rat and that was that. No need to over stress him.

He will be offered again on Sunday per the feeding schedule.
  • 01-26-2019, 02:56 AM
    dakski
    Good news and good news.

Yafe left me a couple presents yesterday from the night before. He peed and urated 1X and pooped and peed 1X as well.

His weight, dry, is 145G. That's up from 120G when he arrived and he was down to 110G after using the bathroom the day after he arrived and then not eating for 6 weeks (his low weight was 110G).

I'll take a 35G weight gain on a snake that was ill and not eating and who seems to be feeling a lot better.

The other good news is I did NOT take pictures of the event, so I have no pictures to share today.
  • 01-27-2019, 10:43 AM
    RickyNY
    Very nice! I'm glad he's gaining weight.