Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,514

1 members and 2,513 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,400
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Best medium sized snake?

Printable View

• 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
    inari rose
    Wow. Those are all really good points... I will just go with non venemous. So much safer and not near as much trouble.

Thanks y'all :)
    I'll get a good deal of training and experience before considering any excessively large (burmese python) or venemous snakes. Though by then I may be completely convonced to never get one. Haha

So, not I am down to the final decision.
    What is the best way to choose a Irian Jaya Carpet Python? I have read to look at the parents. The snakes will change colors as they grow so just going by how the baby looks is no good.
    Is this correct?
  • 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM
    Eric Alan
    Re: Best medium sized snake?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inari rose View Post
    Wow. Those are all really good points... I will just go with non venemous. So much safer and not near as much trouble.

Thanks y'all :)
    I'll get a good deal of training and experience before considering any excessively large (burmese python) or venemous snakes. Though by then I may be completely convonced to never get one. Haha

So, not I am down to the final decision.
    What is the best way to choose a Irian Jaya Carpet Python? I have read to look at the parents. The snakes will change colors as they grow so just going by how the baby looks is no good.
    Is this correct?

I'm not any help to answer these questions, but I have to add this 2 cents: I TOLD YOU SO! :P Good choice. :D
  • 07-29-2013, 12:59 AM
    Expensive hobby
    Best medium sized snake?
    I just wanted to mention, someone previously said that Columbian boas stay in the 4-7' range, and that's on the small side for a male. Females often reach in the 8-10' range obviously dependent on feeding and husbandry. I own 2 boas(listed in my signature) and I fully expect my girl to be 8-10' for a full grown BCI.

You said you want a "medium sized" snake. I wouldn't consider a Columbian BCI to be "mid-sized."

And as far as Venomous snakes, if you ever get become dead set on one, look into the eastern or northern copperheads, hog nose, or false water cobras. Rear fanged snakes are "safer" and a better way to get into hots.

But I'd recommend some other non-venomous snakes first.

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python
    0.1.0 Columbian B.C.I. 2013
    1.0.0 EBV Red Group Pastel Hypo Jungle B.C.I. 2013
  • 07-29-2013, 01:09 AM
    Daybreaker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Expensive hobby View Post
    I just wanted to mention, someone previously said that Columbian boas stay in the 4-7' range, and that's on the small side for a male. Females often reach in the 8-10' range obviously dependent on feeding and husbandry. I own 2 boas(listed in my signature) and I fully expect my girl to be 8-10' for a full grown BCI.

I disagree: it is rare for Colombian (spelled with an "o", not a "u") females to reach the 10' mark, this is a size for the BCC and BCO boas.
  • 07-29-2013, 01:22 AM
    Expensive hobby
    Best medium sized snake?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    I disagree: it is rare for Colombian (spelled with an "o", not a "u") females to reach the 10' mark, this is a size for the BCC and BCO boas.

Sorry for my spelling error, but aside from that I have seen plenty of BCI Columbians at LEAST above the 4-7' range you had mentioned. Obviously BCC's get larger, but some of the BCI's are still no joke in the size department.

I fully expect at least 8' from my female and 6' from my male. I mean they aren't retics or condas, but they aren't corns or balls either.

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python
  • 07-29-2013, 01:25 AM
    MootWorm
    Best medium sized snake?
    Quote:

You said you want a "medium sized" snake. I wouldn't consider a Columbian BCI to be "mid-sized."

And as far as Venomous snakes, if you ever get become dead set on one, look into the eastern or northern copperheads, hog nose, or false water cobras. Rear fanged snakes are "safer" and a better way to get into hots.

But I'd recommend some other non-venomous snakes first.

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python

Are hognose considered hots? If so, apparently I'm a hot keeper ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 07-29-2013, 01:27 AM
    Daybreaker
    Quote:

Sorry for my spelling error, but aside from that I have seen plenty of BCI Columbians at LEAST above the 4-7' range you had mentioned. Obviously BCC's get larger, but some of the BCI's are still no joke in the size department.

I fully expect at least 8' from my female and 6' from my male. I mean they are retics or condas, but they aren't corns or balls either.

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python

8' for females is not uncommon, but getting up to 10' is for female Colombians. 4-7' is the norm size range for males and females: males of course on the lower end and females on the higher. There are always larger and smaller exceptions; I was speaking of the norm.
  • 07-29-2013, 01:30 AM
    Expensive hobby
    Best medium sized snake?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MootWorm View Post
    Are hognose considered hots? If so, apparently I'm a hot keeper ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know they aren't your normal "hot" snake, but obviously there has been some controversy as to the "toxicity" of the hognose snakes. They don't have venom glands, nor do they have hypodermic fangs, but it has been said that their saliva secretions can have some more effect(I.e. allergic reactions, etc) than a normal non-venomous snake bite.

I was more or less mentioning that they have that "venomous look" and might be a safer way to live out the thrill of owning a hot without actually having the danger...

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python
  • 07-29-2013, 01:35 AM
    Expensive hobby
    Best medium sized snake?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    8' for females is not uncommon, but getting up to 10' is for female Colombians. 4-7' is the norm size range for males and females: males of course on the lower end and females on the higher. There are always larger and smaller exceptions; I was speaking of the norm.

Ok I was just making sure that the OP knows that if he gets a female BCI Colombian, he is getting a snake that can potentially reach 10', and isn't an unheard of size.

The "norm" isn't quite the right way of telling someone how big a snake gets, because they might get one expecting 4-7, and ends up having a 30-35lb 10' female. I was just stating as a precaution to the OP.

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python
  • 07-29-2013, 02:21 AM
    I-KandyReptiles
    Best medium sized snake?
    10 year old female BCI
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/a5a3yheq.jpg
    Picture off her ad when I adopted her:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/uhany9am.jpg