Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,115

0 members and 2,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
  • 01-30-2007, 11:09 PM
    recycling goddess
    Re: Will Take Unwanted Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldtree79
    Thanks for the apologies, but maybe ya'll should welcome people in a nicer way- i shouldn't have to tell my life story to make a thread.I spend day and night trying work with people and their animals to elaborate to people on a website who probably wont care anyways.

I hope you understand that so many people come... just to get a free snake - that after the 20 or 30th time you see a thread like that... people tend to get apprehensive about responding in a helpful way... it's not right... but it's what happens. Also, if you feel you don't want to elaborate to people on a website who probably won't care anyways... then you aren't even giving us a fair shake!

Of course, when someone comes and shares something of themselves with us, then we welcome them with open arms. But when you are holding back... you can't expect us to jump up and down and throw ya a party :giggle:

So please don't be frustrated... cause honestly... I think it was frustration on both sides of the fence on this one :hug:
  • 01-30-2007, 11:14 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldtree79
    Thanks for the apologies, but maybe ya'll should welcome people in a nicer way- i shouldn't have to tell my life story to make a thread.I spend day and night trying work with people and their animals to elaborate to people on a website who probably wont care anyways.

People here in Dallas in my opinion are careless with animals that i have noticed just to make their kid happy. Not to mention pet shops here are not knowledgeable and let animals die all the time, one specifically.

Just trying to help- understand my frustration and what im trying to do.

Welcome to the site. Like it has been previously stated, 99.9% of people on this site actually care about their animals and want what is best for them. Apologies for the harsh comments made by other members, we are sometimes bombarded by spammers and you were mistaken as one of them....please understand our frustration.

We also have several people on this site that take in and rehome animals that are no longer wanted. The whole country is just like Dallas....people's ignorance towards reptiles is appauling.

What type of faculities do you have and what kinda of animals can you handle? If someone comes to this site with a troubled animal, it is always good to try to get them to someone near by.

Have a good one. Daniel
  • 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
    SatanicIntention
    I know what you mean about the people in Dallas/Austin. I'm in Waco and have taken in a good number of Balls/Boas. Some are rescues and some I have to actually pay for to get them out of their ungodly conditions. Some of these owners actually care that their animals go to good homes, others just want the snake out of their house/cost too much/kid doesn't want it, etc.

I just picked up three snakes in Austin in December, 2 Ball Pythons and a boa. One Ball and the boa were being kept in the same 29g tall tank, no heating, only being fed every few months. They are 3 years old and both around 2.5ft long... I had to pay an arm and a leg to get these animals out. They are now separated, eating great and gaining weight(and the boa likes to try to eat my head).

The other Ball was a huge 2600g female and was free. She was well taken care of and is 5 years old or so. The owner gave her to me because I'm a Vet Tech and could have gotten her proper vet care easily had she needed it. Luckily, she was healthy and is currently breeding.

One of my other females I got right here in Waco(Breth). She is a 3-4 year old female and was only 780g when I picked her up. Her owner was a college student who was moving away and didn't want to care for her anymore. That was last June? I think. She is currently 2100g and is breeding with my Lemon Pastel :)

As for Carpet Pythons, there is an awesome HUGE show on the 17th/18th of February at the Arlington Convention Center. There will be tons of quality breeders there and you will be able to see and hold the animal before you buy it. A good number of people from this site will be attending, so hopefully we can get to meet you! :sunny:
  • 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
    Chase13
    Well the only reason I decided to turn this thread into a joke is because there is no point to it. See, this entire SECTION is dedicated to what you made a thread on. This section is for "For Sale/Trade/Adoption or Wanted" so there is no point for making thread like this. If there are people looking to get rid of an animal, this thread isn't going to be their big break, this section is dedicated for that purpose already. If your looking to save some animals, just check in every once in awhile and see if there is anybody looking to get rid of something. And if it is too much work for you to check this every so often or your worried youll miss something, maybe include something in your signature about PMing you if someone is looking to get rid of an animal. And don't be intimidated by Poncho, I know he looks a bit nippy but beneath his 4 inch hide, there is a kind loving death trap just waiting to be hugged. :D
  • 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
    recycling goddess
    chase13,

there was nothing wrong with her posting this thread in this section. she had every right to.
  • 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
    emeraldtree79
    Thanks Daniel,
    I'm trying to re-build my facility and i just had to spend over a 100 for a emerald tree boa (granted thats a great deal for one) but the poor thing 5months ago came into this pet store and got a eye infection instead of treating it he ended up losing it and now has one i eye, he and another emerald has been in dry shed for up to 4 months, dehydrated and thin. Not been handled either. I decided to get him out of there and now he is doing wonderful. I'm trying to save up to 250 just to get the other out of there.

But i deal with the large and very aggressive taming is what i like to do spending time with the animal until he feels so comfortable around me and others that he becomes dog tame.

and i have had almost everything even up to about 13 ft with scub pythons and retics, any sort of tree dwellers is usually what i end up with just because of their loner instinct and attitude i'm destined for the "angry", Just wish people would read before getting something.
  • 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
    Nate
    Quote:

Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    chase13,

there was nothing wrong with her posting this thread in this section. she had every right to.

Agreed...should anyone ever say "man i got this afrock/burm i need to get rid of...know anyone who wants one?"....i do now :gj:
  • 01-30-2007, 11:41 PM
    daniel1983
    Do you deal with large aggressive snakes all by yourself or do you have a support staff? Also, do you deal with large lizards?

Glad to hear that your new snake is doing well. ETB can be fiesty little creatures.

Personally, I am not a supporter of 'pay to rescue' animals. IMHO....Contributing money to pet stores for an animal in horrible shape only promotes the ignorance of pet stores. The sad fact is that another reptile will just take its place and the business will remain open due to the money that was given. Although it hurts my heart to see animals in horrible shape in pet stores, all I can really hope for them is a quick and painless death. After all, a pet store that kills all its animals won't be around for very long.

Although my opinion on that topic may be different, I think it is great what you are doing....keep it up ;)
  • 01-30-2007, 11:41 PM
    emeraldtree79
    Dude,
    Bad experience with 8ft African rocks-love em but i still can't feel anything in my lower hand to my thumb after year of my arm being wrapped and bitten.

Man that sucked......Great snakes though :D
  • 01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
    emeraldtree79
    I don't have a staff, its my significant other and i that handle our rescue but i have several people in Dallas that as a group we try and do our best. And yes, i deal with monitors as well.

I try not to handle anything over 8ft by myself atleast with out someone else being in the same house- i had a carpet that was almost i think right at 9 ft can't remember but she tried to wrap around my neck was real sneaky about it and a friend of mine was standing right in front of me just talking away not paying attention as i was losing air-----LOL, but after that no, always have someone near you.

As for the pet store they have been in business for 15 years- i hope it gets shut down.