Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,070

0 members and 2,070 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 09-03-2018, 08:38 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression
    Sorry to hear about the issues with your retics Crook. It slurps when a hobby isn't fun anymore. Sometimes we have to realize when we've taken on too much and make adjustments. There's nothing wrong with that. There are lots of other large snakes that aren't quite as demanding and imposing as retics. I LOVE my gentle giant Olive python. My boas and carpets aren't quite giants but they're great snakes and they'll be pretty impressive as adults. The jury is still out on my scrub but so far he's been pretty mellow too. As much as I was tempted by keeping retics there was a part of me that felt like I wasn't quite there yet. Their size, pushing tendencies, pee and poop tsunamis, and especially those teeth were a bridge too far for me. You've got a lot to think about and plenty of options. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide.
  • 09-03-2018, 08:48 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Thank you Gio. Never an enjoyable keeper’s moment over here as of recently. Going to get some forearm length suede welding gloves for dealing with Gerald. These were very much combative bites that he delivered. Had he landed my wrist I could be in a bad way.
    Food doesn’t slow him down now either. Ate two days ago and has been arching, cruising, pushing nonstop.
    Phyllis shed out too and is back to pushing and still won’t eat. Lab results of her oral swab confirmed bacterial infection which means another round of a couple different antibiotics injections for a while.
    Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed with ball pythons... dull from an interactive standpoint but my god, their lack of headache sounds very appealing right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boas and GTPs. There is a reason most of my collection is boas and Pat is pretty much an angel for a GTP. I dont really 'play' with him but he is pretty happy to poke his head outside the cage if i leave a door open at night and never strikes. Just looks at me and wonders whats going on but then again Caesar does the same. He's actually in shed atm and spun his cool hide around so the door was facing the back of the cage lol. I lifted it off of him and moved it back to to cool side and put it the right way. Petted him and he just sat there. Didnt even so much as flick a tongue. Then after about an hour of sitting in the open, he finally moved and went into the cool hide again.

Sucks about Gerald but i bet once breeding time is over, he will hopefully mellow back out. And as for Phyllis, i have nothing to offer there, as all of my thoughts of solutions have been tried already.

Caesar did push like crazy and was antsy when he wanted to breed. He also would arch when i petted him but he never struck at me. Just wouldnt stop cruising, arching and pushing. This went on for about 2 weeks i guess. Then all of a sudden he stopped and went back to being happy no arching no pushing Caesar.

And you cant get rid of Gerald. I love him :) but then like i said, im a sucker for white snakes lol.

Oh and off topic but i think tomorrow, I'm finally going to get a small chest freezer haha. I was so tempted to pick up a red neo Biak GTP though haha.
  • 09-03-2018, 08:52 PM
    Skyrivers
    Not everyone has bad experiences with reticulated pythons. Yes the males can be challenging. I think more so if a mature female is around. He just wants to get laid. Is sad that she rejected him. I think would have solved a lot of both animals issues. I wonder what their size difference is? If they have ever been close to each other at a young age? And if that would even make a difference? I am far from an expert. I talk to breeders a lot and read a lot. Have you placed his skin in her cage so she can get use to his smell? Is her rejection of him so great that him being in the same room that she is pushing to get away from him? Keep trying and hang in there.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issues with your retics Crook. It slurps when a hobby isn't fun anymore. Sometimes we have to realize when we've taken on too much and make adjustments. There's nothing wrong with that. There are lots of other large snakes that aren't quite as demanding and imposing as retics. I LOVE my gentle giant Olive python. My boas and carpets aren't quite giants but they're great snakes and they'll be pretty impressive as adults. The jury is still out on my scrub but so far he's been pretty mellow too. As much as I was tempted by keeping retics there was a part of me that felt like I wasn't quite there yet. Their size, pushing tendencies, pee and poop tsunamis, and especially those teeth were a bridge too far for me. You've got a lot to think about and plenty of options. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
  • 09-04-2018, 10:08 AM
    67temp
    I wish you the best of luck and hope things start improving for you soon. Keep your head up high man!

Has he broken any teeth recently like Phyllis has?
  • 09-04-2018, 12:40 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    He just wants to get laid. Is sad that she rejected him. I think would have solved a lot of both animals issues.

You shouldn't have to breed an animal to keep it though. That also opens up more issues, would he even want to deal with all those eggs? I guess you could freeze them off if unwanted, it just seems unneeded. It also seems like Phyllis' issues are due to the infection. Females go in season but they don't normally get antsy like males do. She's off food right now, probably breeding is the last thing on her mind, she wants her mouth better. just my $0.02
  • 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    You shouldn't have to breed an animal to keep it though. That also opens up more issues, would he even want to deal with all those eggs? I guess you could freeze them off if unwanted, it just seems unneeded. It also seems like Phyllis' issues are due to the infection. Females go in season but they don't normally get antsy like males do. She's off food right now, probably breeding is the last thing on her mind, she wants her mouth better. just my $0.02

I agree completely. I think in his situation that Gerald is going to rage till he gets some or the season is over.

Her mouth being sore and infected is a symptom of something else bothering her. You have to treat more than the symptoms here. Is good they get treated and he has done a lot for these 2. Mad respect there. Just like Monty had a toothache. Pissed him off. I had to fix the tooth problem before he calmed down. It has been difficult to find the cause for her. IDK what he should do there. I am just throwing out probable causes and will stop if he feels it is not helpful? I in no way suggest what he should to do to resolve the issue. That is a personal decision for him to figure out. Wish him the best though.
  • 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    I wish you the best of luck and hope things start improving for you soon. Keep your head up high man!

Has he broken any teeth recently like Phyllis has?

No broken teeth but two self inflicted gashes in his scales. Had to clean his cage before work this morning and it was all out war. This feels unfair to both of us. So frustrating and a definite drain on morale as a keeper

• 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM
    jmcrook
    Just cleaned another piss mess from him on my lunch break and the battle was even worse. He’s gotta go. I have to bow out. This is too much

• 09-04-2018, 05:17 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

No broken teeth but two self inflicted gashes in his scales. Had to clean his cage before work this morning and it was all out war. This feels unfair to both of us. So frustrating and a definite drain on morale as a keeper

And this ^ is when the "hobby" becomes a chore.

There are certain aspects that are accepted as part of pet ownership and we eagerly take them on.

THIS, is a situation that is obviously draining the poor guy. JM, is a working man, living solo and he certainly has other life priorities.

I don't want to see the "retic experience" end for him. However after spending loads of money, time and fighting some type of anxiety each time he goes to work not knowing what he'll come home to, I have to agree.
  • 09-05-2018, 06:59 AM
    67temp
    Quote:

Just cleaned another piss mess from him on my lunch break and the battle was even worse. He’s gotta go. I have to bow out. This is too much

Whatever path you take in the future I commend you for the care you have given them so far. They have been well loved.