Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,024

0 members and 2,024 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma
  • 09-01-2018, 08:50 AM
    Jnksnakes
    Re: Gerald Super Dwarf Ultra Ivory Retic Progression
    That's a beautiful snake! I know everyone says "match the size of their girth" but it's so hard for me to look at a snake and look at a rat and go "yeah sure" lol. My retic was eating 2-3 adult mice a week up until about 5 feet. then I start giving her 1-2 chicks a week depending on how big the chick was. I am thinking now that she is around 6 feet to just give her 1 medium rat a day. I also have a 7-8 ft burm eating jumbo rats I am considering moving to rabbits. I bought some rabbits from a guy and I froze them and I can't really look at him and envision if he's big enough for them xD
  • 09-01-2018, 11:05 AM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    Still can’t get over that setup! It looks so nice!
    And he’s a gorgeous snake. Good thing he didn’t nail you! I’ve yet to be bitten by any of my snakes (I’ve been bitten before, but not from any of mine). I figure it’s a given it’ll happen sooner or later, I just hope it’s not a full grown retic bite. I’m really cautious with him though, just because of the potential he has. I’m REALLY hoping he stays so chill and doesn’t turn into a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: once he decides he should be breeding.

Depends on the snake. Caesar just got really pushy when he wanted to breed. He pushed like crazy and would arch but he never got pissy. But he was always mellow even as a baby. Never took a shot at me and only hissed once ever when i tried to hook train him, he really hated the hook lol. But anyways, each snake is going to be different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    That's a beautiful snake! I know everyone says "match the size of their girth" but it's so hard for me to look at a snake and look at a rat and go "yeah sure" lol. My retic was eating 2-3 adult mice a week up until about 5 feet. then I start giving her 1-2 chicks a week depending on how big the chick was. I am thinking now that she is around 6 feet to just give her 1 medium rat a day. I also have a 7-8 ft burm eating jumbo rats I am considering moving to rabbits. I bought some rabbits from a guy and I froze them and I can't really look at him and envision if he's big enough for them xD

You would be surprised at the size of food a snake can eat. My 6 foot boa gets a large rat every month as well as my 7 foot boa. Caesar the retic, who is about 8 feet gets a jumbo rat or 2XL guinea pig every 2 weeks. I have fed Caesar and even the boas food that i miss-sized and they still powered it down. Looked like they ate a football after and they went into a 3 day food coma, but they seemed pretty happy lol.

And back to the subject, Gerald looks good. I've always liked white snakes. And good thing you didnt get tagged. Not sure on Geralds head size but Caesar has a huge head and if i ever did get bit, i know it would hurt lol. I got bit by Rosey on a quick defensive bite when i woke her and scared her. Surprisingly it didnt hurt but boy it did bleed a ton and Rosey is 7 feet.
  • 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Depends on the snake. Caesar just got really pushy when he wanted to breed. He pushed like crazy and would arch but he never got pissy. But he was always mellow even as a baby. Never took a shot at me and only hissed once ever when i tried to hook train him, he really hated the hook lol. But anyways, each snake is going to be different.

You would be surprised at the size of food a snake can eat. My 6 foot boa gets a large rat every month as well as my 7 foot boa. Caesar the retic, who is about 8 feet gets a jumbo rat or 2XL guinea pig every 2 weeks. I have fed Caesar and even the boas food that i miss-sized and they still powered it down. Looked like they ate a football after and they went into a 3 day food coma, but they seemed pretty happy lol.

And back to the subject, Gerald looks good. I've always liked white snakes. And good thing you didnt get tagged. Not sure on Geralds head size but Caesar has a huge head and if i ever did get bit, i know it would hurt lol. I got bit by Rosey on a quick defensive bite when i woke her and scared her. Surprisingly it didnt hurt but boy it did bleed a ton and Rosey is 7 feet.

He did actually get me on the thumb with one tooth. Didn’t notice until this morning that he gashed himself though... and my vet isn’t at her clinic today. Just texted her and she said it probably could have used stitches. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24057358d7.jpg
    Unfortunately there’s nowhere in this town to take him right now. Poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-01-2018, 02:37 PM
    Skyrivers
    Yeah he needs stitches. I keep hoping now that Monty is in my possession again this at he stays calm.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
  • 09-01-2018, 06:18 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    He did actually get me on the thumb with one tooth. Didn’t notice until this morning that he gashed himself though... and my vet isn’t at her clinic today. Just texted her and she said it probably could have used stitches. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24057358d7.jpg
    Unfortunately there’s nowhere in this town to take him right now. Poor guy.

Holy cow man. You are going to be a pro with relics soon from all the adventures phyllis and now gerald are giving you
  • 09-01-2018, 07:15 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Holy cow man. You are going to be a pro with relics soon from all the adventures phyllis and now gerald are giving you

Yeah dude... almost makes me start to rethink things over here. Vet said to put him on paper and clean the wound with chlorhexadine and dress it with silvadene. Got him cleaned up but man was he being twitchy. After he shed the other day it was like a switch flipped in his brain and he’s in full breeding mode now

• 09-01-2018, 09:44 PM
    Sauzo
    Quote:

Yeah dude... almost makes me start to rethink things over here. Vet said to put him on paper and clean the wound with chlorhexadine and dress it with silvadene. Got him cleaned up but man was he being twitchy. After he shed the other day it was like a switch flipped in his brain and he’s in full breeding mode now

Lol thats why im glad i only got one male retic and no females. I would freak out if Caesar went all girl crazy on me lol.
  • 09-02-2018, 05:54 PM
    jmcrook
    Captain chainsaw just nailed himself again. No good and no fun knowing I might well be in over my head with this guy now that he’s in full on breeding mode.

• 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM
    Skyrivers
    One that wants to breed. 1 that says nope and smashes her face anyway? Good luck. Wish I knew what to tell you. Do you have any friends with a female that he can get a playmate with?
    Quote:

Captain chainsaw just nailed himself again. No good and no fun knowing I might well be in over my head with this guy now that he’s in full on breeding mode.

• 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM
    jmcrook
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    One that wants to breed. 1 that says nope and smashes her face anyway? Good luck. Wish I knew what to tell you. Do you have any friends with a female that he can get a playmate with?

No