Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,253

1 members and 1,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,608
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
  • 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM
    SKO
    Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!
    RHP won't bother the decor you have in there. Since it's a radiant heat panel secured to the ceiling if the enclosure , nothing will be directly contacting the panel and won't get hot enough to melt or burn.
  • 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM
    coco32
  • 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM
    mmmmsamy
    I'm planning on getting the T3 and am considering on getting the 11" flexwatt to go with it. That is slightly less than 1/3 of the cage.. does the flexwatt seem to heat enough to be a singular heat source? My room temp is 70-75. Would a Zoo Med UTH work better (I could get a larger one)? Either one, I'd probably use with a Hydrofarm thermostat.
  • 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
    Mr. Misha
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmsamy View Post
    I'm planning on getting the T3 and am considering on getting the 11" flexwatt to go with it. That is slightly less than 1/3 of the cage.. does the flexwatt seem to heat enough to be a singular heat source? My room temp is 70-75. Would a Zoo Med UTH work better (I could get a larger one)? Either one, I'd probably use with a Hydrofarm thermostat.

Hi, my first question is why are you getting a T3 when a T8 is a foot bigger, cheaper, and will get to you quicker (since it's a "quick ship" item through AP)?

In regards to your question regarding heating, I'd recommend a RHP over the UTH because it will help with keeping ambient temps up. The UTH will just provide a hot spot but won't do too well with ambient temps.

If your ambient temperatures are ok and you're looking to provide a hot spot, you can buy heat tape from Reptile Basics by the foot (i believe it's $3/ft) and buy whatever length you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
  • 07-29-2015, 05:36 PM
    scalrtn
    Are Fluorescent lights (instead of RHPs ) sufficient to keep the ambient temps up enough if you use belly heat? Someone in another thread suggested foregoing RHPs entirely (because they use a good bit of power) and using fluorescent lights to keep up the daytime ambient temps, and an LED light string to provide sufficient ambient heat in the night time (?). Also, now difficult is it to install RHPs? Does AP pre-install them on request? I didn't see any related steps in the thread.....(forgive me if they're there...)
  • 07-29-2015, 06:01 PM
    SKO
    RHPs don't use that much power, they actually end up saving you money, especially if you have a proportional thermostat like a herpstat. AP will install your panels. Pro products ships panels directly to them and I'm sure other companies will too. Fluorescent lights and led lights are not enough to keep ambient temps up, however, the right sized RHP will not need help keeping ambient temps up unless the room where the enclosure is gets very cold.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07...c1b8fc7786.jpg

That's my set up. Two t8s both with and RHP ran by a herpstat 2, and led strips just for light and looks.
  • 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    I ordered (4) T-8's this week for my king and bull snakes. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I found this thread very useful. Thanks OP. :gj:
  • 08-11-2015, 12:09 AM
    Tidespider
    What's a good thermometer/hygrometer to use with a UTH? Should I get some that measure just the ambient or should they have a probe to put directly over where the UTH is inside the T8?
  • 08-11-2015, 07:22 AM
    SKO
    I use a digital thermometer/hygrometer to measure the ambient temps. The hotspot I use an infrared temp gun to measure tempshttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...d47f2d3341.jpg

Your thermostat probe and thermostat itself will be measuring the heat also so you really don't need another thermometer with a probe right on the UTH or hotspot
  • 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM
    blujp
    Quick question - I'm gonna order a T8 for my BP this paycheck (w/divider as he's a little one rn) and I have a 40 gallon breeder I'll be moving my corn snake into. Would the T8 be alright with the 40 gallon on top of it, or will I have to figure out a better arrangement?