Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,328

2 members and 1,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook
  • 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
    JLC
    Re: Nothing like a new camera to make you feel smart as a box of rocks!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RhacHead View Post
    Did you figure out how to use the auto focus points yet? If not look that up in your manual this will help you out on those shots where the body is in focus but not the head.

I understand the principle of the points...but couldn't get them to work. :cool: I'd think I'd have it lined up on the part I wanted to be in focus, then push the shutter button halfway...and a totally different focus point would highlight. Only in that one shot of Mira lying on the floor was I able to get it lined up on the eye properly. Those highlighted points kept moving around and I couldn't figure out how to force them to stay where I wanted.

I think I understand that there are different modes for the auto focus to work in, so I probably had it set in a wrong mode and just need to figure out which one I want and how to change it.
  • 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
    Misfit
    Ohman! I'm scared of going digital. lol... so many fancy bells and whistles. I think it's why I'm still so in love with my 35mms. :P that's not to say I don't drool over the insane digital cams my friend use. >_>
  • 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
    spitzu
    I completely understand the frustration! I haven't had time to sit down and learn all of the manual options on my new camera, so it's still all point and shoot for me :(
  • 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
    ama1997
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I understand the principle of the points...but couldn't get them to work. :cool: I'd think I'd have it lined up on the part I wanted to be in focus, then push the shutter button halfway...and a totally different focus point would highlight. Only in that one shot of Mira lying on the floor was I able to get it lined up on the eye properly. Those highlighted points kept moving around and I couldn't figure out how to force them to stay where I wanted.

I think I understand that there are different modes for the auto focus to work in, so I probably had it set in a wrong mode and just need to figure out which one I want and how to change it.

I think your focus points are set to 3D. I think thats the default. There are other modes, but I cant remember them. It will say somewhere in your manual. 3d pretty much lets the camera pick the focus points. There is a way to change it I just cant remember how to get to it. Then you will be able to move the red square where you want it.
  • 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
    RhacHead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLC View Post

Sounds like it was set to automatically pick what the camera deems as the best AF point. If Nikon is set up anything like Canon then there will be a button near the mode select dial that will allow you to assign the AF to one of the 11 points that the D3000 has. Try and look up this feature in your manual or ask the seller where its located on that particular camera.
  • 03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
    Royal Morphz
    Looking good Judy.
  • 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
    Clementine_3
    Ooooo...grayscale the last pic!
    As others have said, find out how to change the focus box/square and you will be all set.
    I have an Elan7 with eye control...I swear that should be on every camera. It is the best invention and no one puts it in. I so wish it was on my DSLR.
  • 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
    llovelace
    Pics look good, you'll find it alot less hectic to have a second se of hands to set up & position the snakes while you shoot
  • 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
    Shirkan
    Yeah it can get very confusing when you talk about ISO metering Exposure like shutter speed and f;stops and all that jazz. Just got to should and mess with all the different settings. Maybe pick a book a good one is called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition/revised and updated by Bryan Peterson, its a very good book. Enjoy your new book and best of luck!
  • 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM
    JLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    I think your focus points are set to 3D. I think thats the default. There are other modes, but I cant remember them. It will say somewhere in your manual. 3d pretty much lets the camera pick the focus points. There is a way to change it I just cant remember how to get to it. Then you will be able to move the red square where you want it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhacHead View Post
    Sounds like it was set to automatically pick what the camera deems as the best AF point. If Nikon is set up anything like Canon then there will be a button near the mode select dial that will allow you to assign the AF to one of the 11 points that the D3000 has. Try and look up this feature in your manual or ask the seller where its located on that particular camera.

Yaayyyy! I found it! Turns out there are two different settings for focus mode. I'd found one and it hadn't fixed the multi-point issue for me. But after some more fiddling around and digging, I found the other! I'm sure once I get familiar with all this, it will seem more intuitive but boy there sure are a lot of mysterious ways on this thing!! I'm excited though, because each new thing I figure out is a step closer to my goal of taking beautiful pictures!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    Ooooo...grayscale the last pic!

Here ya go!
    http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/tree-2bw.jpg

I liked it better in color, but some folks really like the B&W, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Pics look good, you'll find it alot less hectic to have a second se of hands to set up & position the snakes while you shoot

That's a good idea. I'll be a bit more patient with myself to set up a good picture-taking place AND make sure my daughter is there to help wrangle snakes. :D And now that I finally got my focus issues worked out, I can't wait!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirkan View Post
    Yeah it can get very confusing when you talk about ISO metering Exposure like shutter speed and f;stops and all that jazz. Just got to should and mess with all the different settings. Maybe pick a book a good one is called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition/revised and updated by Bryan Peterson, its a very good book. Enjoy your new book and best of luck!

It's definitely challenging. I totally get the concepts of it, but when I try to actually apply them to a real life situation with camera in hand...it's like trying to do complex long division in my head. The understanding is there, but the execution is ssslllooooooowwww! :rofl:

I'll look into that book! Thanks!