Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,108

1 members and 2,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,769
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS
  • 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
    rlditmars
    Re: what incubator do you use?
    I built my own out of a wine cooler I found on CL. The compressor wasn't working and the person sold it for $25. I ordered heat tape from Reptile Basics and an AC fan off Amazon. The whole thing cost me about $60 and took about 2 hours time. It is not difficult at all and there are a number of threads in the forum here to figure it out.
  • 01-06-2016, 05:04 AM
    Viol8r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guanagator View Post
    I haven't had any issues with the exo terra one, I use it for chameleon eggs and live in Florida so having both heating and cooling function was important to me. Once I get to the point of having multiple clutches of Bps I'll likely upgrade to a hot box seen a few in person and they are well built.

I'm in Florida as well. I have a dedicated reptile room to which I use ambient temps for my bp's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I built my own out of a wine cooler I found on CL. The compressor wasn't working and the person sold it for $25. I ordered heat tape from Reptile Basics and an AC fan off Amazon. The whole thing cost me about $60 and took about 2 hours time. It is not difficult at all and there are a number of threads in the forum here to figure it out.

Mine is a wine chiller also, that I had in my garage taking up space. Since I heat my reptile room, I used the VE300 t-stat that was controlling hot spots, and some unused heat tape. The only thing I ended up buying was extra thermostats. I may take apart a pc I no longer use and add the fan from it to circulate the air...

Edit: since it had wire "shelves" I found some hard plastic cutting boards on clearance, cut them down to size, drilled some holes for the air/heat to pass, and those are my shelves now.
  • 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
    rlditmars
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    Edit: since it had wire "shelves" I found some hard plastic cutting boards on clearance, cut them down to size, drilled some holes for the air/heat to pass, and those are my shelves now.

Mine had wire shelves also so I took and cut light diffuser panels to size and zip tied them to the shelf. It works great and still allows air to fully circulate through the incubator.
  • 01-07-2016, 05:22 AM
    Viol8r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    Mine had wire shelves also so I took and cut light diffuser panels to size and zip tied them to the shelf. It works great and still allows air to fully circulate through the incubator.

That's great! I wish I had thought of that. I had extra diffuser material left over from egg boxes. :P
  • 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM
    AjBalls
    Nature's Spirit incubator. Basically the original commercial incubator. I'll go by them until I stop breeding.
  • 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM
    Bigfish1975
    I built my own and have never regretted it. I always encourage people to think ahead. You may not need anything big now but why invest in one that holds a couple tubs and in a year realize you're addicted to the BP thing and need a bigger one then. DIY is very easy. Also as others have stated, you'll be more familiar with it and be able to troubleshoot any possible problems that may arise.
  • 01-12-2016, 11:28 PM
    ktexotics
    after my very first season and learning that the cheap reptipro was a waste of money and time we built our own. for the last 2 yrs my old royal crown cola fridge has been running non stop and no problems. 150 on fridge & gutted added light switch dimmer for fans and an outlet for the heat tape controlled by the old brick style thermostat under the unit . all in maybe 3-400 but i did pay a premium for the fridge as i needed one dearly with a few gravid females at the time! but yes if your in it to produce babies id recommend that you build your own ....:gj:
  • 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
    elbee
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will have to ponder it and see if my husband will help me with a build.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
  • 01-14-2016, 06:03 PM
    CD CONSTRICTORS
    You can scale this down to suit your own needs, but DIY is the way to go. Half the cost of commercial incubators and mine holds 48 clutches....

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...rogress-thread
  • 01-14-2016, 06:16 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    For BP I started with a 120 Quarts cooler years go and than upgraded to this

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...ncubator-1.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Incubator.png

This year I am upgrading to a 48 inches Hotbox

For Hognose I use a small cooler.