Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,758

1 members and 2,757 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW

Pine Bedding

Printable View

• 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM
    Bogertophis
    BTW, the amount of irritating oils in pine shavings is very minimal...but also, rodent cages have plenty of ventilation too, UN-like the enclosures that many of you
    use for your snakes, where snakes are stuck breathing whatever substrate you put in. But either way, even with all the ventilation possible, cedar is very irritating
    to the lungs of rodents & causes issues, some say toxic too...it's a no-go for BOTH rodents & snakes. (cedar is great for repelling moths in your closet though)
  • 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
    Jnksnakes
    Re: Pine Bedding
    Awesome, thanks for the information. I might try this with my rats. I'm expanding from 2 male 4 female breeders to 4 male 16 females. Definitely need to save on the aspen bedding. I would use aspen for my snakes but I use Reptichip instead. Will be nice to cut costs on the rodent bedding.
  • 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM
    Jnksnakes
    So it's $6 at tractor supply for an 8 cu. ft bag of pine, $30 on amazon for an 8 cu ft. bag of Kaytee aspen. If Pine is safe i'm definitely switching over. TSC said their bags are either kiln-dried or rotary dried. I heard kiln-dried is safe how about Rotary dried? I am not calling their customer service everytime I buy a bag though, LOL (although they say you can and they track it)
  • 09-12-2018, 10:43 AM
    Bogertophis
    Not exactly sure what 'rotary dried' is but assume it's turned & air dried, whereas kiln-dried is heat added. Either should be ok...I'd imagine rotary-dried
    is cheaper for them, a kiln is an oven & requires energy, that's all. Though I suppose insects could survive rotary but not kiln...
  • 09-12-2018, 11:00 AM
    Jnksnakes
    EH. Yeah i'll try it. There's people here saying they've used it for years I suppose it should work.