Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,845

1 members and 1,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,394
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, 316 Pythons
  • 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
    MarkS
    Re: Black Mex. milksnake VS Hondouran Milksnake?
    That is a beautiful animal Jack. Are they totally black, even in strong light? Or can you still see some pattern? How long does it take them to turn completely black?
  • 09-07-2007, 09:51 PM
    jjspirko
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkS
    That is a beautiful animal Jack. Are they totally black, even in strong light? Or can you still see some pattern? How long does it take them to turn completely black?

They pretty much are all black at 1 year any color left is totally gone at 18 months.

They do have some pattern to them if you look at the picture above closely by the head you can make out stripes. There is no color but the pattern is there in shades of black under the surface. You can see it across the backs of them as well.

John Cherry was selling them at the NARBC show in Arlington this summer and brought an adult with him because the change is so marked that most people just can't "see" what the adult will be like in their heads. The babies look a lot like a typical milk with lots of red and yellow, the change is really cool to watch take place,
  • 09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
    chris B
    Wow that black milksnake makes me want one badly. Problem being the room I have the snakes in gets to 86* sometimes. I dont think that's fair on the part of the snake since I heard they like colder climates. Hmmm there is always my basement though.
  • 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
    jjspirko
    85 is fine for the high end of things, they do like to spend a lot of time on the "cool" side of the viv. I have mine ranging from like 76-86 and they do well with that.

I would be concerned about hitting 85 only if that is like a constant long term issue. If it is a peak and no higher they can be just fine, the other thing though is you need to really not provide any heating during that level of a spike, so a very good thermostat is a must or just don't heat them at all during the warm times.
  • 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM
    Gurgie
    was checking out a honduran milksnake 2 weeks ago and it peed all over me...like liquid pee. was very nasty, and the lady at the pet store said the honduran milksnake pees a lot...for defense I think she said. I didnt like getting peed on :)