Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,369

3 members and 1,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,598
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924

Wireless Acurites?

Printable View

• 08-09-2018, 09:21 AM
    Avsha531
    Re: Wireless Acurites?
    Duplicate
  • 08-09-2018, 09:21 AM
    ckuhn003
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

Am I missing something here ??

I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct. I think most people (myself included) use them for ambient temps and humidity readings. For surface temps, they do occasional checks with a temp gun. I may be one of guilty ones in saying that I don't do surface temp checks often as I put a lot of faith in my HerpStat for controlling the temps.
  • 08-09-2018, 09:31 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

So these 'wireless' ones ... they look like the old fashioned stand alone ones !?!?

So presumably they have a separate 'wireless' probe hence the name ??

If they are just stand alone ones with no probe I don't see how they can be giving accurate surface temps as the sensor will be a few inches off the ground ??!

Am I missing something here ??

I've used the free standing ones to give ambient temps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct, good sir. I use them for humidity and ambient/ballpark surface temps. Temp gun for actual surface temps. The readings are always very close with little variance.
  • 08-09-2018, 11:12 AM
    alittleFREE
    Thanks guys. Glad to know they work well.

So what I知 wanting to do is use one of the wireless ones with a probe, and keep the wireless probe in the tank, but the actual unit with the screen outside the tank somewhere where I can see it easily. Has anyone tried that method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM
    Sunnieskys
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.

Mine gets bulldozed just like all the fake plants. I just stand it back upright as I spot clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote:

Curious if anyone secures this type of wireless thermometer? I have one and it's always getting knocked over.

Mine gets bulldozed just like all the fake plants. I just stand it back upright as I spot clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote:

• 08-09-2018, 08:31 PM
    Pengil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    Thanks guys. Glad to know they work well.

So what I知 wanting to do is use one of the wireless ones with a probe, and keep the wireless probe in the tank, but the actual unit with the screen outside the tank somewhere where I can see it easily. Has anyone tried that method?

So this is what I use: https://www.acurite.com/wireless-the...y-sensors.html

I actually really, really like keeping the "probe" in my snake's tub and having the display outside, so that I don't have to be in the same room to see what's going on with the temperature and the humidity. (I may have carried the display around the apartment with me when I first got him, just to keep an eye on every fluctuation in his tub...:rolleye2:) I also like that the sensor is intended for the outdoors, so I don't have to worry about the humidity frying the display or the sensor getting wet when I mist.

Right now I have it hanging off of a screw, but unless you hot glue whichever device you go with, it's inevitable that your snake will knock it down on occasion.
  • 08-09-2018, 10:21 PM
    larryd23
    I've been using this Accurite set up: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01096.../dp/B01EI0MS84

It allows you to monitor temp and humidity in three vivs with one display.
  • 08-09-2018, 10:49 PM
    alittleFREE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    I've been using this Accurite set up: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01096.../dp/B01EI0MS84

It allows you to monitor temp and humidity in three vivs with one display.

Ah! That would be perfect for me, since I致e currently got 3 Vivs to manage. Thanks for sharing.

• 08-10-2018, 03:08 AM
    Zincubus
    Wireless Acurites?
    Soooooooo

Apologies for needing EVEN more clarification here guys .... [emoji4]

As I'm kinda struggling to understand the concept or use for these stand alone thermometers.

You guys are simply using these to get AMBIENT temps of the surrounding air in the viv ? Yes ?

THEN checking the more CRUCIAL temps of the floor SURFACE areas with a digital temp gun !?!

I can't see how those stand alone thermometers can give ACCURATE temps of the surface temp under the warm hide ..

----/--

Now if there's a new gadget that has a separate little probe that can be hot glued into place under the warm hide and then wirelessly transfers data to the main unit .... I'd be interested myself BUT so far I've not come across any .
    I did try one of the links above but the link doesn't work in the UK sadly .

I've always used these gadgets for surface temps ( 4 dollars off eBay) and regularly check all surface temps with a digital temp gun .
    Similar ones give a choice of C or F ..the little probe is hot glued onto the floor surface under the warm hide ( the crucial temp to worry about ) .

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1b37e6081f.png

Hopefully someone can put me straight as regards these wireless gadgets !!!

I fear that newbies will be using them to set their thermostats ( if they have one ... )

[emoji4]

HELP !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 08-10-2018, 09:14 AM
    alittleFREE
    Quote:

Soooooooo

Apologies for needing EVEN more clarification here guys .... [emoji4]

As I'm kinda struggling to understand the concept or use for these stand alone thermometers.

You guys are simply using these to get AMBIENT temps of the surrounding air in the viv ? Yes ?

THEN checking the more CRUCIAL temps of the floor SURFACE areas with a digital temp gun !?!

I can't see how those stand alone thermometers can give ACCURATE temps of the surface temp under the warm hide ..

----/--

Now if there's a new gadget that has a separate little probe that can be hot glued into place under the warm hide and then wirelessly transfers data to the main unit .... I'd be interested myself BUT so far I've not come across any .
    I did try one of the links above but the link doesn't work in the UK sadly .

I've always used these gadgets for surface temps ( 4 dollars off eBay) and regularly check all surface temps with a digital temp gun .
    Similar ones give a choice of C or F ..the little probe is hot glued onto the floor surface under the warm hide ( the crucial temp to worry about ) .

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1b37e6081f.png

Hopefully someone can put me straight as regards these wireless gadgets !!!

I fear that newbies will be using them to set their thermostats ( if they have one ... )

[emoji4]

HELP !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I知 talking about using this to measure ambient temps and humidity. I check surface temps with a temp gun regularly and have all heat sources on thermostats.

What I知 planning to do is get the version that has a display unit and a wireless probe (about the size/shape of a USB drive). Then I値l secure the probe Somewhere in the enclosure, and have the display unit in my
    Bedroom where I can check ambients/humidity at my leisure, without having a big unit and bundle of wires etc in my cages.