Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,038

4 members and 2,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,394
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, 316 Pythons
  • 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
    TheKingInYellow
    Re: Humid hides VS. Misting (Snakes only)
    Depends on the snake.

JCP -> Mist daily up to about 75% and then it settles down to 40% or so then I mist the next day. Close to shed, I mist twice a day.

GBK -> Neither, she likes it dry even near shedding. 40% or whatever the ambient humidity is.

BRB -> Damp humid hide, daily misting, tightly sealed enclosure. Ambient humidity is 95% or so. She's a neonate though, so low humidity is potentially fatal.
  • 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM
    OFRD_GRL
    I don't do either, so to speak.

I just put more water in the tank and give a little less substrate and the humidity level bumps itself up to 70% or so.

So far sheds have all been perfect.
  • 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
    BrucenBruce
    My balls are in a Reptile Basics CB70 rack, so humidity is rarely an issue for any except the largest. She likes to soak, and often overflows her bowl. (9_9)

Bloods are young, so they're in tubs as well - if I see them getting dimpled scales, I'll fill their water bowl with water that's just a bit warmer than ambient, which boosts the humidity without misting the snakes - which they hate. In the past, I've used humid hides, with great success, in aquariums with screen tops - and as laying boxes for colubrids.

~Bruce
  • 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
    Qetu
    im coming up on my first shed exp. im currently misting...it seems to be keeping the humidity right where i want it. ill see how it turns out in aabout a week